ITT: Historical figures who seem like they were good people

ITT: Historical figures who seem like they were good people.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How many of these can you name?

Cato, Pompey, Sulla, Cicero, JC, Buddha idk, literally Sulla again, Augustus, Crassus

All of them. The bust of Caligula is pretty shitty tho. Dunno of anyone else who fucked his sisters and wore women's clothing.

Marcus Aurelius would be lawful neutral, I'd say.

>literally Sulla again
kek

How in the hell would be be lawful neutral?
Stoics are neutral/chaotic good.

he'd be Neutral Good

Voltaire

He looks like a jew without the jew nose

Gracchus brothers

idiot

Demagogues abusing democracy to become Emporers? Yeah, gonna have to disagree

>believing in senatorial propaganda

Dunno about fucking his sisters, but Fabulous Elagabalus was worse than Caligula for most of that sort of shit.

Cato Pompey Sulla
Cicero Caesar Pulcher?
Marius Augustus Crassus

>thinking anyone who got to be a Roman emperor or held that sort of power (throughout the course of history) could have been a good person

lol

even the ones you think are """good""" were ruthless people who slaughtered thousands

Cato, Pompey Magnus, Sulla
Cicero, Caesar, ???
Marius, Augustus, Crassus

>that bust
I'd fuck him if he wore a dress 2bh

What would be his alignment?

>crassus is chaotic evil

Giordano Bruno.
Had bit of a mouth on him at the wrong time in history, but would've been cool to chill and have heretical discussions with. :)

Believed in life beyond Earth, was a Pantheist.

Also had wacky occult beliefs involving the egyptians iirc.

was he crucified lol

Wouldpasskidneystonewith/10

He was gagged, stripped naked, possibly had his tongue impaled, and was burned at the stake, in 1600.

Not exactly Machiavellian enough to survive in a shithead society, but his stupid bravery is something I gotta admire in historical figures.

what a rotten way to die

One of the more rotten ways, to be sure.

At least he wasn't around when they did "The Boats" to people.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA

I don't think they gave him kindling either, so he didn't suffocate.

Though to be fair he turned away from the cross they shoved in his face, and refused to capitulate or pretend to any belief, at the last minute.

I wonder if ISIS will catch wind of that shit?

It requires too much time, I think.

Those guys are on the run, and usually, batshit insane extremism aside, have a sense of "honor" and so prefer stuff like beheadings, naturally.

Known as the Magnanimous

>Cato in good
Lmao

Wow, I've never seen Roman statues with carved pupils before.

That's because they went the more time-efficient way of just painting on the pupils and praying that the paint wouldn't fade over time

rome AD, dipshit

learn your history

t. butt blasted Carthagefag

>muh dido

fuck you

This could still be a decent thread.

Pic related. Murderous general aside, Belisaurius sounds like a Bro.

Antoninus Pius, Joseph II, Leopold II

>chaotic good
Move aside, Sulla wasn't even good.
Gracchi bros were the pinnacle of chaotic good, even in fiction you'll have a hard time finding a better example

>chaotic evil
>not caracalla

commissioning only busts and statuary with an edgy scowl should be a clue

the gracchi remind me of a reasonably recent actor, but fuck me i can't place him. i think there's an english or american actor who looks like a third brother

Why when the military loses of Gaius Marius are used to argue that Sulla was greater than him in warfare, do people forget that Marius had one or two strokes at this point? Marius sacrificed his health in preparation for the germanics, yet all people judge him by are the last few years, where his mental and physical health had greatly deteriorated, as a result of him saving the republic

Please remember

>DnD morality chart
fuck you. you ruined this thread

the dress in womens cloth + gang wars clearly makes it claudius pulcher. he was a rabble rouser and the story goes he dressed in womens cloth to sneak into the temple of the vestals to sleep with his sister (or a vestal, i cant remember this point straight at my level of intoxication)

Thread derailed after only one post.

>claudius pulcher
holy shit, how do you know this?

the question is, why can i remember?

hits too close to home huh

friday night drunkenposters are the best posters on Veeky Forums

as for the actor, it may be jamie bell, but maybe not...

His father was more evil.

Caesar.
Also probably most of them.

>Caesar
top kek

I'd go as far as to say most of the Borgias were probably genuinely good people.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Nobility has even more energy to foster good intentions.

Also caesar didn't seem particularly bad, had a close connection to his army, and he was a republican through and through

>worse

elagabalus probably requested the heart shaped pupils

Cyrus the Great

Not enough water for insects in the areas they control. Further, they haven't much honey I would imagine.

Agreed. Compared to the rest of Justinians entourage he seems practically christlike.

I think (ere) Emperor Mauritius was a good guy. He was probably *too* good, he literally didn't think the Avars would go through with their threat of massacreing 10k soldiers over a figure that the Byzantines simply did not have. He also installed an agreeable Persian emperor and wanted peace in the region.

Caesar was a superb general, but not a good guy and not close to be one.

>Genuinely
>Good
>Person

>ayy, cunt, can I bum a ciggy?

and you base this on what?

His actions?

did nothing wrong and had a badass tattoo

>You will never accompany Herodotus as he travels throughout the ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern world, observing new cultures and recording old stories

>10/10

would sit down and discuss the wrongs of the Saxons with, while swimming in the fine springs of Aachen

You don't know his motivations.
And his actions benefitted/would have benefitted roma

>springs of Aachen
had to look this up tbqh

He definitely does. Would need bigger ears, though.

Hadrian
Horace
Date Masamune
Agricola

Herodotus was shit. He did shit-all investigation for himself. Most of the stuff he wrote was just stuff he heard from his Athenian buddies.

If they didn't nip rebellions in the bud it would spread and they'd have to slaughter even more later.

Let's assume they did the "right thing", granted them indepenence, gave them 10 tons of gold as compensation and signed a treaty. What makes you think the new state will be more morally righteous than the Romans? They will still practice slavery and oppress the commoners, they will still act to expand their power without regard to morals and chances are there will be another war against them later.

Godfrey De Boullion is a pretty good example of someone who wasn't a horrid person. At least by comparison during the Crusades.

God damn it I just read the Wikipedia article on him and im really sad now that Brazil is such a shithole nowadays.

cato, dunno, sulla, dunno, caesar, dunno, marius, augustus, dunno

>pic related

Greatest South American leader in history

Nice kung-fu grip.

I hate this Machiavellian "for the greater good" approach. It's shit.

mah nigga
Gracchi ftw, was surprised they weren't in OP's post. Just an aside, argument for Cato as good?

Mah nigga read his Cicero and Plutarch. Way to hold it down. However, I think it was he tried to seduce Caesar's wife Pompeia dressed as a woman, not his sister.

Which Roman emperor was worst, Caligula, Nero, or Commodus?

>That fucking pedo 'stache

Pfft.

commodus by far

Not memeing or being edgy but Stalin seems like the kind of person that would have been cool had he been literally anything other than a dictator.

Nigga what? Commodus was not one of the good emperors but neither was bad at all.
At least he fighted in the arena, I would love to see that, fuck. Maybe he was the best roman emperor on one by one fights.

Are you trolling?

Commodus literally did nothing for the empire but waste it's money. And his "one on one" fights were against slaves and cripples.

The name's Cloedius, I always thought. Also I got them all because I'm amazing (and that calligula is really, really shit work for the period - I almost thought it was crisis of the 3rd century tier)

Cloedius is the motive for the famous 'the wife of ceasar must be beyond superstition' remark.

>and making shit up, all the fucking time.

>good

Im not saying he was a good one, not even close, but neither one of the worst.
Still fighting against shitters, he made like hundreds of fights so atleast he had to be very good on 1 vs 1.

He was a rapist and thief before he got involved in politics though

He was easily in the top 5 worst. Caracalla and Cockgobblus are probably the only two who out right beat him at being shitters. Caligula is close.

Dude, what about Honorius for example? sitting in Ravenna while Rome was being sacked numerous times.
You know about how a pile of crap were almost all the emperors of the V?

>Caracalla
What's wrong with him?
Yes, Caracalla was quite cruel. However his cruelty was always a means to an end and he did a great many things to improve the Roman civilization. He was very likely the hardest to live under but also the most productive at the same moment. He changed Rome for the better.

>Cockgobblus
Who? Commodus?