Minimalism

Capsule wardrobe, konmari, 100 things, less but better. Who here practices some form of minimalism and how has it affected your evolving style? Do you have some goals or challenges before the end of the year?

Other urls found in this thread:

zara.com/us/en/man/outerwear/view-all-c764502.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism
the-rosenrot.com/2013/08/defining-minimalism-in-fashion.html
the-rosenrot.com/2013/09/defining-minimalism-in-fashion-part-2.html
un-fancy.com/my-capsule-wardrobes/3384/
shoeslikepottery.com/
holmeswatches.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

minimal =/ minimalism
learn the difference you twat

Why all the autistic set rules and forms? I only buy clothes I feel fit my need and that have a minimalist aesthetic, colors mostly black, white and blue, when it fits maybe some other solids

Obviously not always from extremely expensive brands but I'm neither shy to invest in quality

It's not exactly hard really, you "challenge" people give it all a bad name

>canvas high tops

If you're only going for two pairs of shoes then at least get black achilles mid or something

Also needs a wintery overcoat if you're living anywhere known for being somewhat minimalistic

Completely subjective and only useful if helpful. Because it gives some people a starting place or a guide if they need one? Obviously not needed if you are decisive and know what you want.
But some people don't.

What is an example.
Obviously use what works for you and your lifestyle and locale.

T-shirts in all colors of rainbow.
Dark jeans.
Dark socks.
Vans slip-on.

Hoodie when it's colder.
Parka when it's even colder. Plus thermal underwear and wool socks.

Doing a capsule wardrobe gives people just starting some guidance. People who aren't dicks like minimalism because it CAN improve life in a quiet and personal way. People who tell others what to do are just dicks.
I like some of the challenges where people are not pretentious about it, it motivates me.
But yes, there are a lot of hipster weirdos who have latched onto 'minimalism' it seems. I hadn't realized. Ugh.

I'm aiming for fairly small wardrobe
Just saving money and trying to buy all the shit l want, more or less have the exact specific clothing I want in my mind already so pretty simple to just save up and buy them one at a time.
Though some of them are hard to find and other cost arm and a leg to get.

That sounds like a good goal, I'd rather have fewer pieces I really like that suit me than a bigger closet that isnt what I specifically like.

good minimalist
bad minimalist/not really even minimal its just having basic fits likesaid minimal=/=minimalism

Kek, this is great

reddit: the style

this is disgusting

as a poorfag looking to step up his Veeky Forums game, is "minimalism" one of the better routes to go down?

i only really wear black jeans tho, will that be a problem? what else could i consider? also, it's getting pretty cold, what's a more appropriate winter coat?

would appreciate some pointers, cheers.

>is "minimalism" one of the better routes to go down?
unless you strive to look like every other kanye-worshipping teenage internet fashionista, i highly recommend developing your own interests and tastes

ive had no interest in fashion up until this point, hence why im coming here. i dont listen to kanye, either. what's wrong?

Its good to get a basic capsule wardrobe going. You have one basic down, your black jeans. Build on that. White button down shirt, white, grey, black quality tees, 1-2 of whatever other shirt style you prefer. A black wool blend coat in a style that you like. Try here:
zara.com/us/en/man/outerwear/view-all-c764502.html

>recommending fast fashion
disgust

Yeah, I'll probably go there after this thread runs its course, probably should have made it a #basics or capsule wardrobe thread here instead. Oh well.

Haha, interested enough to post your this but nothing useful, nice. Taste is subjective. I don't like some of the pieces but I DO like what they did with them which was the point.
Everyone's a critic but on user, it doesn't carry any weight.

He said he is a poorfag. That's pretty much what they can afford. I do think a coat should be an investment piece when possible but that doesn't keep you warm if broke and cold, hm?

>not mentioning thrifting
>at all

Thrifting might be a great option for you if you learn to recognize good brands and fabric quality. You can look into making a capsule wardrobe of your basics, then go from there.

10 pieces, 15 looks.

cucks

get some taste

I think "minimalism" is just for looking good and nothing else. It's an easy way to look good, and seeing how half the population doesn't try and dress appropriately now. This is good way to do things imo. Plus it's a price thing as well, you can look good for cheap with "minimalism".

Rick Owens looks so much less retarded on women, jesus christ.

w2c pants

Idk, they are just plain flat-front grey trousers, you can find them lots of places. None of this particular set is 'branded' with makers listed, its more about the styling and look than the labels, that's why it's an accessible look for anyone.

Yohji for men is better to me.

minimalism is our endgame, look at raf

minimalism nowadays is used as a coverup for what is fundamentally a bad fit
if its utterly plain and drab, minimalism
if it consists of just shades of grey, minimalism
minimalism to me at least is cutting back on a few aspects of clothing that arent exactly necessary but in doing so putting further concentration into smaller finer nuances that truly make a fit
its the go-to route for dilettantes with otherwise no taste to dress like shit and still feel good about themselves

I agree. is a good beginner capsule, achievable at any price point and a good base to build into something more personalized from there.
I should have known better than to use the M word to start a thread but so much of what I see as label chasing in waywt is so try-hard, not even good, and really not versatile because it is so single-piece oriented. Good for designers who want to sell you a lot but not so good knowing that wearing a distinctive piece too often also looks bad. Shoes, watch and outerwear excepted, ofc.

Tl:dr
I think seasonal, basics, a capsule and mindful additions are a good way to get started.

I think it's both and usually easy to tell by fit and styling which you are looking at but you're right.

Also the hipsters chewed on it some, it's turned from something good in concept to being abused in practice but it's still viable if you do it right. (And aren't a schlub OR a snob)

>minimalism to me at least
m8 minimailism in fashion isn't a case of fucking opinion
it's actual real thing and pretty much everyone on this thread apparently don't understand the term

the fact that people disagree about the meaning of the term would imply that minimalism is ostensibly objective
please enlighten us with the be-all end-all definition of minimalism
ya def it can still be done really well

That fit and quality in the pic you posted...so bad, omg. But yes, good point.

wat the fuck son did u really just talk shit about lemaire and post pinterest level garbage

normIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE

There are principals and guidelines on how to better achieve it but there isn't a one-size formula.
We can argue it all day but providing some solid points and examples and then concrete reason to debate the opposing points is better than just saying, 'you don't understand the term'.

And pic is my bad impression of 'hipster minimalism'. What not to do.

Minimalism is a actual real fucking art movement that has relevance in fashion as well
Educate thyself en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism
Most retards (You) are talking about reductionism, which while element of minimalism does not defy the whole fucking movement

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
go read gq magazine or some shit lmao fuccboi

we never discredited minimalism itself as an art form, nor are we discussing simply reductionism
instead of berating us on how we're wrong, why dont you educate us on how you're right and quantify what you say
please i beg of you can you strictly place a line between where a fit goes from one style and crosses to minimalism
can you pinpoint what is minimalism and what isnt and differentiate between the two
can you definitively discern between what is sound and music
these arent just rigid terms that have some kind of inflexible unwavering definition that doesnt change over time
it seems to me youre another one of those dilettantes that have a surface level in art

why do i share a board with these kinds of people

Haha, tanks for the nice Wikipedia link, daddy, so enlightening for a middle school art report but people actually bumbling along in creating their wardrobes are a bit rougher in practice than on the reading page.

There aren't many dedicated men's minimalist fashion blogs for a reason.
You can post a fit or throw one but 'reeee, it's not THAT, read a wiki' is just useless advice.

I sure did because that particular fit's fit is garbage. I think Uniqlo U line will benefit from him a lot though because it's, surprise, faster and cheaper fashion and simplicity will elevate it but it's too soon to really tell how well it's being received by anyone but critics and syncophants.

please go ahead and tell me exactly why you think that fit is garbage

even if you think that particular fits fit was garbage
in which it isnt
your opinion is immediately discarded when you post pinterest level garbage
how on earth do you talk shit about lemaires quality when you post these cos-tier overcoats?
why do you think your opinion matters
why is uniqlo the first thing you think of when you hear lemaire

I'm saying that people using the term wrong like this thread is the reason it doesn't fuckin mean anything anymore
You don't have to project that hard on me
It's just asinine to say shit like "yeah minimalism to me" like that's nice and all but there are actual things that defy what it is as it's actual movement.
You can't go up to a statue of David and get offended when someone says you are wrong for saying "to me this is expressionism" cause you are being a fucking retard

but thats the crux of my argument
it "doesnt mean anything anymore" because it strays from your own belief of what it should be
if thats what people think thats what people think your opinion on the matter isnt worth much more than anyone elses
there is no objective stance on the devaluation of a term, you think there is because you think youre right and you know what "true minimalism" (your minimalism) is
ideas change
things change
i guess its up to you on this ship of theseus matter but i see nothing asinine with having an opinion on something that isnt rigidly defined

>your own belief
your retarded m8

good rebuttal lol
good on you for replying to all my points and making a coherent argument instead of chimping out and saying "your opinion on thing is wrong, i know thing more than you, thing is _____ and cannot be _____ but i wont tell you because ill just link you a wiki"
o w8

There is no discussion here to be had
>Let's talk about this well established known term that defies certain things
>lmao that's just like your opinion man
>No you see it really is actual real thing that is defied by certain elements
>whatever man you're wrong
You never gave any arguments because there never was arugment to be had in the first place

nice strawman
you literally cant explain why people cant have different opinions on what a artistic phenomena means
youre getting mad at people for "getting it wrong" and just not understanding that its not a matter of opinion yet when asked why you cite a wikipedia article
let me give you an example
jazz music was an artistic phenomenon and for that you can list and state general similarities and attributes of jazz music but you cant definitively discern between what is and what isnt jazz music

Because he's in-house artistic director there I guess.
I said the fit of that fit is...because I don't like that tailoring, it does nothing for the body and looks tired and sad. Lacking a belt and watch seem like a lack, not an edit and the boots aren't well matched to the pants. My opinion.

In general:
Yes, minimalism is "to strip everything down to its essential quality and achieve simplicity. The idea is not completely without ornamentation, but that all parts, details and construction are considered as reduced to a stage where no one can remove anything further to improve the design."

Which leaves plenty of room for subjective opinion on how much is too much, how little is too little, types of style and ornamentation, placement, proportion, seasonal appropriateness, color harmony, a zillion things.

i think its perfectly reasonable to dislike the tailoring of the fit and etc but honestly the picture you posted isnt meritorious towards the validity of your opinion because its clear that even if you dislike the fit and etc of the lemaire photo the quality is miles above what you posted
but yeah i agree with what you said after

I have mostly posted cheaper faster fashion because even with a very edited capsule wardrobe, students and entry levels on a tight budget who have to spend most of their clothing dollars on work clothes can't afford expensive fits and tailoring or dry cleaning bills for their casual wear. That is obvious from the waywt threads.

>you literally cant explain why people cant have different opinions on what a artistic phenomena means
It's called art movement user
You can't really have opinions what it means when it has definiton and characteristics that defy it. Well you can but it makes (You) a fucking retard who doesn't really understand what you are even talkin about but that was my original point anyway.

Ugh.
I think I'm going to name any future threads 'Capsule Wardrobe'. Instead of inviting discussion and posting image examples as I'd hoped, this has become a Pandora's box of some sort of inverse snobbery, and a weird aggression.

Lesson learned, don't say the M word on Veeky Forums.

Everyone who is unsure about the difference between Minimalism and minimal should read this article. Interesting piece about the history of Minimalism and its defining aspects within fashion.

the-rosenrot.com/2013/08/defining-minimalism-in-fashion.html
the-rosenrot.com/2013/09/defining-minimalism-in-fashion-part-2.html

goat article i remember reading this a while ago. i recommend it too.

Tried to make an idiot-proof winter wardrobe for a high school/college student. My main goal when making it was to come up with a wardrobe where everything can be swapped out for another piece without worrying about whether it will pair well, since I'm having problems with versatility in my own wardrobe right now.

Now that I'm looking at the whole thing, I kind of wish I had added in some layering tees and maybe added white sk8-his as an alternative to the black ones.

I don't think white will go as well. I'd use a medium wash denim and the rest looks good. Add a watch maybe.

I also think minimal wardrobe works well if you wanna look good without having any style, and also not look try hard. It's not a lack of something, but the perfect amount of it.

>not look try hard.
you're kidding right

Compared to Rickfags....yea.

How do I look?

how's the quality on those hanes shirts?
how thick are they?
fit?

also,m really hating the flanel and the vans

looks decent apart from the flannel.
very boring though, and not in a cool way where you can tell that's the person's intention.

I haven't tried them myself but I plan on getting some, a friend recommended them for being more durable/higher quality than gildan.

Yeah, I'm pretty new to this. It was mainly an exercise in flexibility with basics, because that's how I dress at them moment.

Here is an example of one man's capsule wardrobe and a link to a printable planner to help you make one.
I know this might seem really very 'basic or simple' to many here who are already into fashion, knowledgeable about it or who approach fashion as a hobby. Not meant for you. :)

It still might be helpful to some though, I hope. Most articles about capsules are for women, maybe due to the continuing popularity of konmari organizing method?

un-fancy.com/my-capsule-wardrobes/3384/

Minimalism is not monochrome.

Actually, I should probably explain myself here. Minimalism can be monochrome, but monochrome isn't necessarily minimalism. It's not a defining feature.

It can be.
Yves Klein

what do you think of my capsule wardrobe? recently designed this and threw out my old clothes, aimed for a minimalist approach and all the pieces fit together.

accidentally uploaded without text, here it is.

Drop the contrast stitch docs in favor of ones that are all black (including sole)
Drop the vans
Swap the CDG converse for SLP or at least the old model with the small heart
Drop the blue denim jacket
Add some weatherproof outerwear, maybe even 2 pieces, one for cold and one for warm weather.

dislike the shoes/boots, but everything else looks fine.

The docs I bought ages ago and don't really wear anymore.
I wear the vans along with the dickies for a more slacker skater style.
Unfortunately can't afford slp as I'm a poor student although I'm an artist and musician and people always compliment my cog converse, I'm young so i feel i get away with wearing them.
sure about the blue? I feel it breaks up the black and grey which can look a little dull.
The Mac coat is waterproof although not very warm, might look into a wool coat.

what shoes/boots would you reccomend?

I like the CDG Converse, playful! Add outerwear, a few more basic pieces, accessories.

Nice. Long sleeve knit shirt or sweater and 1 more pair of pants maybe? Tie? Black shoes?

I like the idea of 20- 30 pieces.

>Unfortunately can't afford slp as I'm a poor student although I'm an artist and musician and people always compliment my cog converse, I'm young so i feel i get away with wearing them.
>I'm an artist and musician
shoeslikepottery.com/

The blue jacket doesn't look nice with what you have, and it doesn't look nice full stop unless you're dressing in a 'beard culture' #workwear style. The contrast stitching is particularly offputting. If that coat works for you then fine, I guess you can always put other things under it.

W2c white shoes?

minimalist, but in the worst possible sense. you dress like an it student who just discovered mfa.

please guys if you could use my code to buy a watch or two i really need to sell just two more to keep my job, "Shehzad17" to get 10% off holmeswatches.com/
will be much appreciated

I just bought one without using your code

Sick, can't wait to dress like a boring cuck when I start studying architecture

Any advice? I'm actually the opposite of an IT student, I'm an art student and guitarist singer in an indie band. Lots of people have told me they like my style and I dress well so I thought I was doing okay. It probably helps I'm 6'2 and reasonably attractive.

braun watches y/n?

I go minimalist in every way but still like weird jackets

>art student and guitarist singer in an indie band
most generic thing to be in 2016 you cuck. never going to make it in this life

I think this is a great start, I think with some simple changes it could be very expressive and versatile. Imma use it

What the fuck does that laundry bill look like?

i like it dude