New Flecktarn/Dying Clothes General

Since the last one was such a success, especially with the appearance of Ivan from Kommando store, I'm making a new one.
Old one was
Lets continue the questions here

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM
amazon.com/gp/product/B00O80X6AY
kommandostore.com/german-bundeswehr-flecktarn-parka/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has anyone had experience using the dylon dye. Can you only use it in the washing machine or can it be used with just boiling water and a bucket?

keep it comfy

Those who have dyed theirs, did you use soda ash beforehand? I was going to order some Dylon but all the reviews recommend using soda ash beforehand.

An user from the last thread was able to use his washing machine, and my dye guy has been working with boiling water and a bucket.

boiling water with just dylon dye or with added salt and detergent? I've heard from others that you need salt. is that true?
I've heard people mention soda ash but idk if anyone said its necessary

So how much do Veeky Forums and /k/ memes increase your workload?

I got on Veeky Forums 2 years ago and there were flecktarn dye threads occasionally
then like 20 months of dead silence
and about 2 months ago it started up again

I'm not the one dyeing things. I have a 'dye guy' who has been working on this of his own interest. I have been supplying him with fabric in return for good documentation and study.

I'll ask him about the salt for now.

some inspo for a finished product

also when is the guide for boil dying going to be released. And please include results soon Ivan

I love how its cyclical. I think its cute. If I see one of these on the streets I'll know.

is there a drive link to this issue? It looks fantastic.

As I stated in the last thread. Current ETA is Soon™. But at this rate of both Veeky Forums and personal interest it might be Sooner™

I texted my dye guy about salt and detergent. I will post when he gets back to me.

that place looks amazing

Is the dyed flecktarn one of those Veeky Forums indicators, like you know if you see someone with a dyed flecktarn that they browse fa

yeah I upload everything that I've archived and there are zips if you want copies for yourself
MFL is a great magazine...even if it's only on issue 3

pastebin.com/Q2iDYiAM

This place is why I wish that I grew up in a city like Chicago or New York.

Is size 6 the smallest the Kommando Store gets their flecktarns?

I lived in Chicago and couldn't find anything like that
that store is probably in a trendy district like Shibuya....only place that could sustain a store selling only military fashion gear
>tfw no outdoor gf

Yes. I feel you bro I'm 5'9 with like a 33 chest so i had to go with gr 6

Thank you!

No. It is just currently the smallest size we have in stock. I have more parkas arriving in time for black Friday. There will be smaller sizes then.

I got a batch of flecktarn parkas from a different wholesaler a month ago, and out of the 100 parkas there were ONLY FOUR SIZES [Screams externally]

Never making that mistake again. Now I grill the shit of out wholesalers on their size distribution.

I wear a Gr.2 myself.

Thanks a ton, I'll keep checking up on it until I find my size. Is there anything else you recommend from the store? I recently bought surplus from Hessen Antique and I love the items.

Is there a way to dye it and save the flags?

Does anyone know for sure if you need to use soda ash or not yet? I'm kinda worried now cuz I don't wanna fuck up my jacket

What would you say is the best looking flecktarn parka version you have in stock? Not for dyeing

Not ivan but I think they only have one flecktarn, just different dates produced

He said you definitely need salt. He doesn't have the exact numbers on him right now, but it is about a cup of salt for a cup of dye.

Heh, I would love to recommend some things, but I am a bit paranoid about getting banned for advertising. (Makes talking on /k/ really hard these days) Any POLIZEI items are pretty Veeky Forums, im getting a ton more for black friday. Just click on the /MILITARY SURPLUS/ category and scroll.

Also, I have been lurking the boots threads. I'm currently sourcing Black Austrian paratrooper boots and German Bundeswehr "pilotenstiefel" (the pilot boots with two laces and a zipper on each boot) i'm sure Veeky Forums will appreciate some of that.

checked

remove the flags with a seam ripper before dying

which parts of the jacket are polyester? mine is from 1997 and I want to make sure the velcro parts stay brown, like this

Hell yea. I would love a pair of austrian paratrooper boots please get em

Depends what best looking means to you.

There are two material versions. SympaTex (German GoreTex), and the standard cotton/poly.

The cotton poly ones come in two versions pre-2005 and post 2005. The change in colors in the pattern is really down to personal preference. there are photos of both colors on the page.

This photo has pre on left post on right.

I gotchu

Wait, have you guys been dying the pre-2005 or the post? Cuz I bought the pre and which do you think would dye better.

If you are going for the 90% black look. (Black with pattern shape and color barely visible) The differences should be marginal. There are a lot of photos of these parkas dyed black, and I'd guess that 75% if not more of flecktarn parka surplus out there is pre-2005. So I think regardless of the version it will be about the same.

I'd imagine the only difference would be a slightly higher sensitivity to the black dye for the post-2005, because there is less color vibrance, and less contrast.

They're like 10 bucks each, homme.
If you're looking to overdye other things think of it as a good learning experience.

>sourcing Black Austrian paratrooper boots
Ivan bringing memes to the masses.

Just got off work. The jacket was already dry by the time I got back. It is a dark royal blue with its pattern visible. It is not so blue that it messes with a black fit imo. Will mull over the color as I try it out with different things. If I do go for another round of dye I will also post results.

Wanted to take a quick pic with fit. nothing fancy just a t. pants, and boots. Will take more in future if it's good.

Retoasting from last bread:

>I used Dylon black in the largest packet available on Amazon.
>I followed the instructions to dump the packet and 500g of salt into the washer bin with the damp parka.
>I actually didn't have enough salt so at most I had 400g salt of 300g at worst.
>Put the washer on delicates and warm (40 degrees celsius).
>Did second wash with detergent as instructed.

Once again, judge it (and me) freely m8s

>sourcing Pilotenstiefel

Yes please. I just hope they don't end up costing like $100+, but even if they do at least I'd be able to have them shipped here without getting fucked.

Mine just arrived today. I am super stoked as it fits me perfectly.

I got GR12. I am 6'1~6'2 (188cm), and 185lb (84kg) slim build but broader shoulder for an average slim build.

I ordered it from here as it shipped to Canada in only 3 days!
amazon.com/gp/product/B00O80X6AY

Any tips on removing the flags? I've read that they're pretty difficult to remove and the parka could easily be damaged and that is the last thing I want.

I am now waiting on dylon dyes to arrive so that I can dye them black.

I will try to post fits tomorrow or something.

meme on bros

same guy here, posting the tag for anyone who is curious.

Looks like I got the pre-2005 model. I can't wait to dye this thing and I might just start wearing them around

tom?

I just took a knife to the back end and individually slit the threading. It's not too hard and when you get enough of them it'll be easy to pull of with no damage.

Sewing back on is another story. Considering hitting a tailor tomorrow.

pic related when1!!!!!!!!!1
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Anyone tried Simplicol?
And does it look better with 2 packs of 350g Dylon or only one?

I got a lot more compliments on my Flecktarn before I dyed it black. I wore it undyed last winter and probably got like 6 compliments on it over the course of a month. Since I dyed it no one has commented on it at all and I've been wearing it a lot since it started cooling down here.

I like it a lot better black, the flecktarn felt goofy with the way I usually dress. I guess being black just makes it stand out a lot less (kind of ironic).

If not Veeky Forums then it's definitely got a "dressed by the internet" vibe to it. I see people talk about it on a few sites but it's mostly an Veeky Forums thing from what I've seen.

I still like it though, some "meme" pieces are pretty good.

>tfw I found dyed flecktarn parkas while browsing the archives a few months ago, started posting about and accidently revived an old Veeky Forums meme peice

If you use a dye that doesn't work on polyester (like most of them) your parka will end up that way.

Did you guys use both Dylon packages in one go or did you put one package in the washing machine, washed the parka and then did a second washing with the second washing? If the second, did you do anything between package 1 and package 2? Like drying it or something?

For me I just used one pack of machine dylon and followed the instructions exactly.
>wash jacket normally first
>put dylon in drum with wet jacket
>turn on 40 cotton wash
>rinse afterwards
easy as that

Did you use 350g Dylon?
And can you post pic of your parka?
Looking at pic related I kinda dig it more with 2 boxes, but I'm afraid that the tarnfleck will not be visible at all, instead of barely visible (what I want).

Mine came out like the far right with just 1 packet. Not even a box. I think it was 100g of powdered dye.

Dylon washing machine dye is enough to dye 80%cotton parka to perfect black. You'll need to use two or even 3 bags at once tho.

I used one pack of 350g yeah, I don't think the guy in the middle pic followed the instructions correctly. Mine tunred out with barely visible camo after one pack

no one gives a shit stop doing this

Alright, thanks. I guess I will buy one 350g pack and if I don't like the outcome I'll just use a second pack, the drugstore nearby should have Dylon.

w2c the boots?

austrian paratrooper boots, if you're gonna buy them do not buy them militaryops on ebay as they've been sending completely wrong boots out to people and telling them to deal with it

Thanks senpai.

Planning to purchase a parka to dye. Can anyone recommend any ofther types of Camo's that would look nice after being dyed black?

Can anyone send me a lik to this exact model without the flag like pic related. I am awfully bad at finding stuff myself by googling

Afaik that is the model between 1995-2005.
Ivan has listed the differences:
kommandostore.com/german-bundeswehr-flecktarn-parka/

Not a parka but these pants were khaki before I dyed them. I much prefer them now

they've got little bits of red that aren't very noticeable but it adds another dimension to them. I originally thought they would come out black, but I'm quite glad with the olive with almost tie dye details

Did you get the leaf looking patterns from just the fabric scrunching?

Yep. Though I'm sure it would work if you used rubber bands like in traditional tie dye, same principle

What type of pants should i wear with a flecktarn jacket ?

How did you guys clean your washing machine afterwards?

Put ammonia and salt in the bearings, put in a work order and got a new one delivered for free

People usually compliment the unusual

Flecktarn

Gonna bleach it tomorrow or something.
Finally I can become a walking meme.

So I'm 6'3 and weigh around 165. Measured my chest last night and got about 36.5". According to these charts I think the best size for me would be a 12, but it also looks like that'll end up being suuuuper long. Skeptical about taking the plunge here, don't want to fuck anything up. Should I just try to find a store and try some on?

you might not find them in stores, man
it's not US military surplus

Seems fun. Copped.

Right, good point. There's just so many stories about people getting these jackets and finding out that they sized wrong, I don't want to spend $50 shipped and not be happy.

Trying them on is really useful. Technically I'd need a Gr. 1, but a Gr. 3 fitted much better for me.

maybe if Ivan comes back he'll be able to walk you through the sizing

> people getting these jackets and finding out that they sized wrong

These are people with weak google skills, poor reading comprehension and no grasp of measurements. Bundeswehr sizing is the most detailed there is, yet supereasy to find your perfect fit (giving that you know the fact milsurp is usually huuuge becaus it's meant to be worn in combat/over uniform).

i've not heard of anybody getting one that was undersized

Anyone?

I recommend you go through Arktis' site for inspo, man
they have some very cool camo patterns and even design some themselves

Thanks for posting on here, I was looking for a good detailed guide. Do you know if you can only use the washer or can you use like a bucket?

Btw, end product looks dope af

Brian my mans

How do you even wear such a vibrant jacket though. Also when you wear it with that camo don't you look like school shooter core

great job, inspiring for sure.

not so keen on the saggy pants and boots, very columbine-core

So my chest is 34" and I ordered a parka with a 37" chest, how should the fit be? The height was pretty on

It will just fit looser in the chest. Chest size on clothing doesn't effect how long the arms or the jacket over all are. If you layer under the jacket then the 3 inches extra chest wont make a difference.

desu it's more practical a bit bigger to layer that shit.

but if not brian then who?

Yeah, I can see that. I have some crew and v neck sweaters that will give a more friendly vibe rather than a "I have a shotgun in this"

Gonna try out quite a few fits before I settle on anything. With the shade of blue this thing turned out to be I can even wear this with my work pants.

Was thinking of copping Danner Tachyon Gore-Tex boots. Think it would go well with a tighter fit?

When you get the little Dylon packet, it actually comes with instructions on every meathod you can use to dye, including bucket.

I know washer method may seem scary, but it's safe. Used the washer on my whites today and not even a bit of dye got on them.

Just follow the instruction, and then when you're done run it empty with bleach and detergent. I also put on some rubber gloves and used a bleach soaked rag to clean the inner rubber ring on my washer.

If you have pets, be prepared to find dyed wads of pet hair though :^(

I'm supposed to wash the parka normally after dyeing, should it be dry when doing this or is it okay if it's still wet from the dyeing itself?

doing it yourself if fa af
good shit lads

Yeah go ahead and do it immediately.

The point of a wash after is to remove excess dye.

Thanks user, will post result tomorrow.

I personally think austrian paratrooper boots looks great with the jacket and Ivan said he is gonna get them soon.