Thrifting

Advice, tips, tricks. Most and least likely shops. Best finds.

Other urls found in this thread:

redwhiteandbluethriftstore.com/store-locations.html
shop.hlorenzo.com/products/mens/footwear/sneakers/y-3/qasa_high_trainer/aq5499_blkwht
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>If its over $10
>Doesnt fit exactly how you want
>Covered in cat hair
Dont even bother

quick tip for anyone:

goodwill restocks every wednesday so thursday is generally best day to find cool stuff + there is a 50% sale on the last wednesday of every month to clear out all stuff in the store before next month

pic unrelated

What about designer resale shops? And tailoring? And dry cleaners/lint rollers?

My tips to say 'no' to:
Too short or small, usually hard to fix
Stains. Unknown origin and unknown if they have been washed, set in.
Unknown fiber content if you plan to dye it.
Super crumpled stuff if you aren't sure how to steam or iron things well or aren't prepared to have it cleaned each time
Seam damage from age in vintage stuff, the item won't have much wear left.
Rayon items with pulled seams unless you plan to take it in.
Light colored silks that have yellowed.

>What about designer resale shops? And tailoring? And dry cleaners/lint rollers?
Do you think if im shopping at a thrift shop that im going to do any of that shit? My dubs say your wrong

redwhiteandbluethriftstore.com/store-locations.html

just do it, go.

best thrift store I've been to, hands down, no question. makes goodwill look like rookie tier shit.

$7 at a thrift store
Comfy, fits perfectly. How did I do?

I also can't tell what color it is exactly, I don't know how to add it to a matching outfit. Any advice?

>tfw thrift stores in your country are fucking garbage

My resale shop tips (as someone who probably gets half of their clothes from resale shops):

Fuck salvation army and goodwill honestly. They're usually way overpriced. If you can find a thrift outlet or something similar (everything in the store is anywhere from $2 to 25 cents depending on the day you go) in your area make that your main stop. There is a lot more to sift through to find the gems but something that could cost 15 or 20 bucks at Goodwill will cost around a dollar there. Also if you're not sure about something it doesn't hurt to buy it since it's so cheap. I've done that before and sometimes I end up loving what I bought after a while and sometimes I just donate it back.

If you're looking for good quality clothes and don't want to wade through a bunch of garbage go to a more "fashion/vintage" focused shop. The prices are higher but you'll probably find what you're looking for a lot faster.

Learn some basic tailoring. It's really easy to make looser fitting pants fit however you want as long as they fit you in the waist. Back when the whole slim fit light wash denim trend was starting and they were impossible to find for less than like 70 bucks I altered jeans that cost 9 dollars and people thought they were those American Apparel ones that cost $90. Shirts are harder to fix and I honestly wouldn't bother. You really have to reconstruct them to get them to fit right.

One last tip, if you don't have a lot of money to spend really think about whether or not you can see yourself wearing something a lot or whether you just think it looks cool. I have a personal problem (I know other people who do it too but still) where I buy things that are cool or interesting on their own, but I could never actually work into a fit. Things that are just too weird or don't fit right or I found comedic at the moment I bought them. Don't ever buy stuff like that unless it costs like 50 cents because there's a high chance you're just throwing your money away.

other than the FCUK this looks like something you could find in the boys section at target back in 2004. I'd advise against buying stuff just because the brand, unless you think you can resell it, which doesn't seem super likely with that piece.

The fuck? There's one of these in Tamarac, Fl but its not listed, I go to the North Miami one too.

fairly decent but because i'm a manlet nothing fits me.

That last piece of advice is something everyone should follow, thrifting or not.

If anyone claims they're not guilty of doing this at one point in time they're a liar.

Hialeah one is best, N Miami barely has any parking space.

i honestly get all my clothes at thrift stores. dont buy impulsively but also kind of do; by which i mean dont be afraid to branch out, but dont buy shit you plainly will not wear. i can dump some of the best shit ive found thrifting if anybodys interested

sure, im down for some thrift inspo at least

It's a drive to go though. I'm from Fort Laudy but go to school in Fort Meyers. Every time i'm in the area I go. Although I'd never stoop to Hialeah, I'm far too white for that.

2 (this is for when the revolution comes)

3 (these go for like 70+ online)

4 (this was 2 bucks!)

5 (idk what the fuck these even are, but they're guess and /loose/ as hell) i have a lot more but it gets progressively more mundane, mostly thrifted jeans, tees and sweaters

what brand is this?

ralph lauren

You just said you'd go to the north miami one. North miami is nothing but black ppl. The Hialeah store is all kinds of ppl, I've seen plenty white ppl, kikes, haitians, old cuban ladies. Why would your race even be an issue? Hell, the person who introduced me to this place was a fat redneck lady who shopped there, and I'm Cuban, so I dunno. Whatever, up to you. Good place, just sayin.

>high jeans
>long shirt
>cuffed well above the top of your shoes
you're making yourself look short and retarded bro

>high jeans
>long shirt
Nothing wrong with that. It's the cuffing that looks retarded.

sorry I was going all /pol/ on you there, it's probably nice.

those aren't high waisted, and high waisted clothing does the opposite

M8 every Goodwill is run differently.

I copped a moncler polo at the secondhand
12€ not bad

Expanding on this as someone who pretty much relies on thrift shops for wardrobe ideas, especially after requiring an entirely new wardrobe after losing a lot of weight:

EVERY STORE IS DIFFERENT.
While your Goodwill/Salvo/whatever may suck ass, I have a few that are genuinely great. Does this mean you do, too, reader? Maybe, maybe not.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to stop back frequently, especially when they restock shelves. Don't know? Ask. Or lurk more I guess.

Be nice to employees. They will remember you and might hook you up from time to time.

If it doesn't fit and you can't make it fit within reason, leave it for someone else or resell it.

Always thoroughly examine pieces you're interested in. It's not super often that brand new or barely-worn shit is donated.

Always be cautiously optimistic when you find something that seems cool. I've lost count of supposed grails I've found only to be disappointed when it fits like shit/is falling apart/has another significant problem.

Check off-price stores like Marshall's/TJ Maxx and Gabe's, but REMEMBER TO TRY IT ON. They get mixed lots that could just be discontinued colors or slightly fucked up clothing.

Lastly, don't ever entirely give up on a shitty store. One of my area Goodwill stores was absolutely atrocious until a new manager came along and got the store completely renovated and organized. Stay up to date and keep your eyes open.

That's all I got for now. Good luck and happy hunting.

how much was it?

This but you can easily get familiar with your local one's sale days, color tag days etc.
well worth it too, but as others have said, going often is key.

Pretty bad. Why did you even buy this?

I copped a moncler polo at the secondhand
12€ not bad at all

Any Tokyofags here? Where do you go aside from the usual Ragtag/Kindal/Brand Collect/DonDon Down Wednesday?
>tfw copped Issey a few weeks ago at Kindal

>Go to vintage store to find a cheap sweater
>"University of xx" only
>Not even cheap

wow that's pretty cool, where did you cop it from?

I noticed we have a Plato's Closet in my area, I'm going to check it out? Any of he rest of you go to shops like this in addition to the charity thrift shops?

I live in spain, they dont have thrifts but there are some "vintage" shops

right, cool, and what brand was it?

the store? Its called Magpie

no no i meant the polo.. it's okay, but how much was it again?

Oh my bad
Moncler. 12€

ah cool, where did you get it?

FUCK

Hit and miss like the rest of them. Mine has netted some pretty great cops. Patagonia, Arc'Teryx, cheap basics from BR/Gap/RL/Levi's. Watch out for raised prices on sale days. I saw them mark up everything the day before their 50% off sale.

go to the affluent part of your town and see what their thrift stores have. i went to the goodwill in a rich neighborhood and found a saint laurent shirt for like 4 bucks

thrift game is pretty weak in my area but i managed to cop this today for $4

Hanks for the tip! I'm headed there tomorrow.

no big deal

This is nice man, what a steal.

10/10 advice
10/10 gif

trump's america is truely a terrifying place......

gj

Dude that's just knockoff Ralph Lauren lmao hope you're not from ny bc you will get your feelings hurt

>thinking bucket caps with memes on them are fashionable
>thinking bucket caps are fashionable
>bucket caps
>get off my board

stay out then

how can you be on this board and be a conservative? fashion is about progress and rebellion, not being white and boring

If your in Los Angeles
The valley is where it is at.

With shirts check everywhere they hide that shit. Sometimes vintage fire will be in the woman's t shirt section.

Check all the woman's jeans if your trying to make a quick $

And last but not least be friendly to the staff the motherfuckers will hook it up.

Just today picked up 5 Harley shirts for literally a 1$
Sold them for around 20&- 30$

it was in this really small town, the woman gave it me for two because i was a visitor :)
o shit what makes it knockoff how can u tell

implying this isnt patrician af

us polo assn = fake
ralph lauren polo = real

US Polo Assn is the TjMaxx/Marshals sort of knockoff of the Polo branding.
Think of it like going to Aldi and getting the off-brand cereal called like Fruity Loops or some shit.

anyone knows a better place to thrift in México city? i heard they closed el mercado de Pino Suárez and that was place with a ton of cheap beautiful clothes. I also heard that the sellers moved to a new place but idk where, anyone can help?

there are no good thrift stores here, we only get shit that couldn't be sold in germany. Can you guys rec me some EU based online thrift shops please?

Basically this, its techniquely not "fake" Ralph Lauren but it's made to deceive people who think they're buying Ralph for a lower price/better deal.

Any advice for Toronto thrifting? The stores here are always so picked-over. I try to get out to the east end to avoid the hipsters (not that there aren't any out there, just fewer).

Anyone thrift in upstate ny? Everyone is either rich and wears designer shit but has no fashion sense or are poor and waste all their money on the same shit trying to impress others and still can't dress or just the shit tier brands like Abercrombie.

I refuse to meet such a fate and since I'm poor thrifting seems to be my best option so anyone aware of the best stores?

Thanks fampai. Been in this game too long to see people not give it a fair shake.

Copped a rag+bone work wear flannel for 7 bucks at a goodwill
How much can I get for it on grailed?

ugly

Facts my guy

Nigga we ain't your price checker. Check ebay sold listings or similar listings fucker.

Address?

What did he mean by this?

Kek

Trigger Warning: This post is about online consignment stores

The best places to cop designer pieces are consignment stores. In my experience, I'd say you're able to get things about 20% lower than their lowest retail sale price. Some people have a thing against buying used clothes and I did too until I shrunk my wardrobe and needed to cop things fast. Even now, I've only ever bought things that look worn a few times max. Before the dryer accident, my closet was mostly basics from fast fashion stores and some mid-tier brands like Norse Projects. Two months later I got pieces from 3.1 Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, Damir Doma, Helmut Lang, Maison Margiela, and Our Legacy. I used to be a basic bitch, now I'm a slighty better basic bitch. Most of the individual pieces I got were as expensive as their fast fashion equivalent.

If you're against buying used and just want to save money you can always wait for sales like a normal person. FutureSneakerBoutique recently had a 50% off sale and I was able to cop 2 pieces of Reigning Champ for $90. The best places for sales like these are small brick and mortar companies that have an online store. I bought some Suicoke sandals for $52 from The Loit during their last sale and I was honestly surprised when they arrived because I thought they'd be fake. I've got my eyes on a few of these and I always sign up for their newsletters. If you're American and can find a brick and mortar store from Europe w/ an online portal, their sales are fucking godlike since we don't have to pay VAT.

In regards to thrifting I've got one piece so far since starting: a new pair of Wings + Horns pants for $8. These were the best deal but the chances of getting something designer in your size at a thrift store are pretty low.

I hope I contributed to this thread.

Also Y-3 Qasas for $200 if you have size 11.5 feet. They fit snug on size 11 feet.
shop.hlorenzo.com/products/mens/footwear/sneakers/y-3/qasa_high_trainer/aq5499_blkwht

Deadass b? Where ya timbs at tho yaheard

oh well thats a shame cheers boys

What the...

so nice, how much?

London thrift shops?

PRO TIP

Make sure to check that vintage snapback. make sure it aint some of that mitchell and ness remake shit or some budweiser promo hat

Fucking lucky bastard. What size?

nigga did you just guess that

collar too big, think I'll either cut it off or have a tailor fix it.

going to post some stuff I bought at the thrift

viscose shirt €10

niiice

wtf

ive written this shit before will post again:

i've been thrifting for 10 years now (13-23) and my wardrobe is ~50% thrifted.

first: thrifting =/= consignment. i mean sally ann / goodwill / value village / MCC etc.

i see people complain about shitty selection at thrift shops all the time, they expect it to operate like a branded store. regular stores have stock lists, uniform sizing, sales targets, commission, etc. these motherfuckers in thrift stores have like one of everything they got and they just wanna keep you from stealing shit and make sure no one gets aids. we're not shoppers, we're gleaners.

thrifting is about frequency. all shops will have good stuff from time to time, but you have to be the motherfucker that snags it first. so it's less about "which thrift store has the what i want" and more like “which ones can i get to once a week”.

scope out a store or two (usually the ones with more single moms shopping, not the hip ones) and visit them frequently. just browse, sack up and try shit on (always wear an undershirt and long socks so you can try shit on), and start to understand how they stock/how frequently they stock. some places rotate stock (big chains sometimes move unsold items to new locations, so there's always fresh stuff) and some just fill the racks whenever there's space. if you can get to the point where you're going twice a month to the same store and never see the same stuff, you're maximizing the chances that you'll be the one to find the best stuff.

1/3

next, work on figuring out what you need. there's a tendency to go thrifting and find all this sort of "cool thrift" material that doesn't really reflect a functional wardrobe. think critically of your own choices.
>why did this stand out to me?
>where/when would i wear this?
>could i wear this on a date?
>would i buy this full price?
you don't have to have a list of amazing reasons, but it's good to get over the initial impulse of grabbing something off the rack. yeah, the goku shirt is rad as fuck, but this is not a tumblr this is your real life body. there's a thrifter "look" that isn't appealing past age 16 which you can avoid by thinking sensibly and pragmatically.
that being said, it's also good to admit mistakes. you will buy something that you never wear and regret. don't keep it around just cause you still like it. that's how you end up with a bunch of stuff you'll never wear. i usually get rid of an equiv item if i buy something thrifted (i.e. buy a jacket, lose a jacket).

2/3

lastly, what to thrift? the best thrifted items are ones that carry some quality you can't get in a new item. this may be a classic/out of date style, some wear-and-tear "character", or relative rarity. for me, it's usually shoes and jackets that i end up thrifting. jackets are great because a lot of good quality ones end up in the donation bin and they generally aren't the designs or cuts out today. you can throw a wacky jacket over a relatively tame non-thrifted outfit and it totally plays. also sizing is a lot more forgiving on a thrifted jacket if your pants and shirt fit. i find lots of good leather boots at thrift stores, good cause they are generally solid items but you can still trash them cause you only paid ten dollars.
sweaters can be decent from a thrift store, often lots of quality wool stuff gets put out in the summer. in the winter, some places overstock sweaters so homeless people can stay warm. fit is key, here. don't settle for "it works" in a thrift sweater. unless you're super happy with fit, don't buy it.
shirts are often stretched/weird sizes and most of them are shit at thrift stores. i always look at all the shirts/tees just in case, but i rarely buy a t shirt. tees are the worst for kitsch factor purchases.
jeans/trousers are generally a no go from actual thrift stores. i've yet to find a pair of trousers in all my years of thrifting that i wore more than five times.
my only weird thrift obsession is sports jerseys. you can find some rad local/vintage sports stuff in thrift shops sometimes.

3/3

Suede jacket. Really nice suede, very buttery

€15

Dig that, real nice find!

kooples shirt. probably womens but fits and is very soft.

€10