Ski/Snowboard

Don't have any skiing clothes/ gear and planning on going multiple times this winter. How does one dress while skiing? What's some Veeky Forums coldwear?

Snowboarding can also be talked about too I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

mec.ca/en/product/5034-388/Algidity-Neck-Gaitor)
images.evo.com/imgp/zoom/55681/304948/sandbox-classic-snow-helmet-black-front.jpg)
mec.ca/en/product/5043-653/Holt-Snow-Helmet)
thirtytwo.com/us/apparel/headwear/mute-face-mask-8140000508.html?dwvar_8140000508_color=012#start=1)
newschoolers.com/forum/thread/257751/Hockey-Jerseys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is really more of an /out/ or /asp/ topic, Veeky Forums probably knows little about ski steeze and will pick stupid shit that looks cool to them.

If you just want to be practical, and you're in a skiing area, see if there are any ski swaps coming up. They're basically like a flea market thing where ski shops sell last year's overstock for big discounts.

That aside, there are a few basic rules.

You're always gonna want some decent long underwear/thermals/base layer, unless you're skiing in super warm late-season conditions.

Over that, a good pair of ski pants are essential.

For your top half, layering is usually the way to go, so you don't have to have a million different jackets. I like a polarfleece midlayer with a thin "shell" jacket over it, and a good down jacket in between if it's cold as fuck. If you're only going to ski in warm conditions (20F+ or so) a softshell jacket might be a good option instead.

Good socks and gloves matter a lot, too - your local shop can probably help you pick them, and don't buy super-thick or overly padded socks, they're a marketing meme for people who think they'll be more comfortable, but they aren't.

Headwear is preference. Helmets can make you look like a tryhard if you're on maintained slopes, but they're warm and comfy as fuck compared to an itchy beanie IMO, and they're obviously safer. (Even on the bunny slopes there's always the risk of some dumbass skiing into you or slamming the lift bar on your head, too, so it's still relevant there.)

As for hard gear, boots are the most important thing. If you want your own gear, go to a real ski shop and have a proper boot fitting done. There's no best brand or model, just what fits your feet and suits your skill level and the terrain you'll be skiing. I can't even begin to suggest a model of skis, as those are super situational and a good shop will help you much more than I can.

Ran out of space.

Anyway, on to the more Veeky Forums side of things. There are two kinds of people you DON'T want to look like.

The first is a gaper. That's basically ski bum slang for "noob." Spyder, Bogner, brands like that are rich gaper shit. Anything sold at normal clothing stores is poor gaper shit. Single-piece suits are always gaper shit unless you're a badass doing it ironically. Two-tone jackets are usually gaper shit, unless they're Orage or something. (In which case they often fall into the next category.)

And that brings us to the second category, tryhards. Sometimes these are called jongs, but nobody really agrees on what jong means, just that it's a general term for "shitlord" in the ski world. Just don't try to look like the backcountry pros or hit the resort slopes with a bunch of super hardcore gear that makes no sense there. I recommend against wearing the bright blue color that's been in ski vogue lately, because there's a good chance it'll make you look like a tryhard if your skill doesn't live up to it.

Veeky Forums would probably love the shit that freestyle skiers wear - saggy, baggy pants, oversized Ts and hoodies, bright bandanas, etc- but if you wear that shit, everybody older than 12 will think you're a giant faggot.

Great advice, thanks a lot

user gave you some good advice. In terms of shops, ski shops tend to be pricey. I prefer to buy from outerwear companies. If you're in Canada, check out MEC and if america REI. They're co-ops, so it costs like $5 to join, but the selection is top-tier and very cheap. I don't know much about REI, but MEC makes it's own brand of clothes; they make everything from long underwear, to gloves to jackets.

Anyways, i'll cover some stuff that the other guy didn't go in-depth into:

I think Bandanas and 'air holes' (which are just glorified bandanas) are lame. Not only do they look goofy, but they have a connotation of being a tryhard.

Also try not to wear scarves, they tend to get un-tucked and start flapping around in your face. it's not the end of the world but is annoying when you have to adjust it every other run or if it flies off . get a neck-gator (aka neck warmer) instead. it's basically just a fleece tube (mec.ca/en/product/5034-388/Algidity-Neck-Gaitor) and you slip it on before your goggles/toque and and it keeps your chin and neck warm. Also it can be worn as a silly hat for jokes.

Personally though, I wear a 1-hole Balaclava. It's part of warmth, part for style and simplicity (don't need to adjust toque/neckwarmer. I wouldn't recommend 3 holes, i've had them in the past and they don't add much warmth but add a fair amount of itchiness around the nose area.

Goggles aren't very important if you're not doing serious skiing. The 'nice' ones can cost a couple hundred bucks (money you could spend on boots or skiis, where it WOULD make a difference) so i wouldn't spend too much money. Try to borrow a friends/family members, or buy a cheap pair of Gordini's or Smiths. Or if it's a sunny day, just wear a pair of sunglasses., just make sure they wrap around or hug your face i.e. won't fall off.

...continued

imho Neck Gaiters look a lot better than Balaclavas

Summit County local reporting. This is accurate.

Some solid advice in the thread. Gonna dump some snowboard inspo

Do you have some inspo for a good skiing outift?

Oh yeah, goggles, I forgot to mention those. A good pair of shades is the way to go on a clear day. You might need goggles when it's windy or actively snowing, though.

I agree, and I like that they're easy to adjust, while a balaclava is either on or off and nothing in between.

May as well post my shitty steez while I'm here, BTW. It's definitely function>form. Jacket is REI and the fleece is First Ascent (who actually make great shit despite being part of Eddie Bauer). I'm pretty lightly dressed here, because it was opening day at Big Bear and like 45-50 degrees.

>Summit County

Jelly as fuck, man. I used to be near Tahoe and had season passes at various resorts over a few years, now I'm stuck in fucking SoCal and this is the Big Bear forecast for the next month. Feels fucking horrible man.

>big bear
fuck man, always wanted to go there. it's like the park holy grail

yeah balaclavas are for really cold days. helmet and neck warmer for more moderate days.

I don't agree with the other user that wearing a helmets on normal runs makes you look like a tryhard. In my experience, most people wear helmets all the time.

Anyways, i ride park a lot, so i wear a helmet pretty much everyday. I have a sandbox (images.evo.com/imgp/zoom/55681/304948/sandbox-classic-snow-helmet-black-front.jpg) which i don't relaly like that much. The Smith Holt (mec.ca/en/product/5043-653/Holt-Snow-Helmet) is sort of the golden standard for helmets: looks very casual, is

as a snowboarder, fuck this cringey thread

kook

Yeah, BB is nice if you're into park, especially since manmade vs. real snow doesn't matter as much. I'm a big mountain, steep and fast kind of guy, so BB is like kiddie land to me. There's like one decent trail on the whole mountain and I always get bored of it and go home after half a day, plus it's a miracle to get a decent amount of snow.

I was the other guy who said the helmet thing btw, and yeah, it's a whole different story if you're a park guy or a boarder. I still rock one myself too, even though I'm not exactly some backcountry badass, just because they're comfy and it's worth the protection, even if some grizzly TGR mag ski bum laughs at me for it.

Gogs over/under seems to kind of be a park vs. downhill thing, too. There are all kinds of weird style "rules" in this scene, like the fact that you'll get laughed at if there's a gap between the top of your gogs and the rim of your helmet. (The "Gaper Gap.")

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot - if you want to party in a ski town, hit up the grungiest bar you can find, and order PBR.

Big puffy jackets are sort of coming into style in snowboarding, but it's still mostly your standard 'ski jacket', but a little longer. On warmer days I tend to wear just a hoodie and a plaid shirt, or a hoodie and a coaches jacket.

Then in terms of colours... I'm more on the conservative side, all of my gear is black and my jacket is navy. In general you should buy a jacket in a colour you can wear off the mount (if you live in a cold place) and then match your pants accordingly. Also you should be careful that your helmet colour doesn't ruined your outfits pallet.

back to the headgear stuff...

In terms of toques (or beanies) the folded 'watchmen cap' ones are in, and the sloppy condom-tip ones are pretty played.

there's a new thing i've seen a lot of people wearing. it's sort of like a balacalava, but it's basically a fleece hoodie hood, fit with a tightening strap (thirtytwo.com/us/apparel/headwear/mute-face-mask-8140000508.html?dwvar_8140000508_color=012#start=1) they can look cool or kinda lame depending.

That's about all i can think of RN.

talk shit post fit fuckboi

Vuarnet for shades.

Man, I never realized how hard it is to find good ski inspo. Everything out there is either wide shots of a tiny little dude on a huge mountain, or 14 year old park rats posting mirror photos in mom's bedroom, and even company and retailer sites are just studio shots of clothes by themselves. The few style articles I can find are all shit that will make you look like a rich tourist, too.

yup, it's tough. best thing is to watch edits/videos. (you might have noticed that some of the photos dumped were screenshots of videos)

Clothing in skiing is more about personality than anything else. There is a big difference how for example Henrik harlaut, LSM and Max Hill dresses. Bring your own style and don't be a pussy, especially if you are hanging out with people better than you. It's nothing worse with Scandinavian goobers wearing gear costing 2k+, talking so much out of their ass, but never delivering.

I've been skiing for 20 years. Am I a good skier? No, not according to the time I've invested, but I have at least obtained the ability to spot a gaper covered in the latest and greatest gear.

My main tips for a new skier is to forget all about gear. We already know you are a goofy motherfucker, so just embrace it. There is way to much boners of human beings in the skiing/snowboarding industry. Don't become one of them! You are already paying way too much to slide around on frozen water, so why not try to have a bit of fun doing it?

Gotta agree with this user all around.

If you try to mimic someone else's style, it will be very apparent. But if you bring your personal style into the sport, you will look cool and unique.

Which brings me to my second point, don't buy flashy or expert gear if you aren't an expert. You wouldn't wear gold-plated basketball shoes if you can barely lay-up, so why would you buy the the newest hottest gear when you can barely make it down the hill.

Finally, if you are new, or only go a few times a season, don't buy new shit! Borrow as much as you can from friends/family. Or go to a thrift shop and see if they have any snow pants/jackets/goggles/gloves. If you can't borrow a friends ski's, just rent a pair. Most decent mountains keep their rental gear tuned and clean, and it is obviously much cheaper than buying new, or even used stuff.

It really doesn't matter how you look. Just wear enough so that you don't get wet or cold, and enjoy the slopes.

this. gearfag skiiers are so dumb
like if youre not good ill outski you on fucking rentals anyday

Good shit, man. I was kinda trying to say the same thing in my first post, but you did it much more effectively.

IMO it should be comfort and function first, and then let your style run free. Just don't copy the dudes in ski videos, they dress the way they do because it looks good on camera.

Big difference in skiing for 20 years and skiing continiously for 20 years. My skill went downhill fast when I went from living at a resort to snowboard 2-3weeks/year. Used to do 7's and double kinks but now I struggle with 5's. Getting old probably plays into it. Shit sucks.

Fo sho, one good season does not automatically mean that the next one is equally great. When I grew up me and my brother used to ski every night + the whole weekend. Now I'm happy to get like 20 days on snow. Growing up sucks!

But at the same time, skiing/snowboarding was more fun being young. Just doing it for no reason, just fucking around with your pals doing stupid shit. Not playing pretend as a lot of people seem to do nowadays.

where did you grow up?

REi has a sale that ends tomorrow

Small, small town in northern Sweden. We had the luxury of having a small, but great, slope in the middle of the city.

Ulricehamn?

Haha, only 1000 km north from there!

most of my outwerwear is from eu.planksclothing.com

plus icebreaker baselayer and oakley goggles and smith helmet

bump

Just copped a helly hansen ski jacket. When can I wear it other than skiing? I live in Minnesota it gets very cold

Will I look like a faggot if I throw a hockey jersey over my jacket? My jacket and pants are all black and I want it to be a bit easier for my friends to find me after a run. The jersey is 100% polyester (shouldnt get too wet) and is similar to pic. Apart from that got japan booked for february yewww

I dont rate the team, but think it would look fine

CLWR all the way

Gapers

Gapers everywhere.

post a fit steeze-master

They can be good or bad depending on your style. Here's a NS thread about them newschoolers.com/forum/thread/257751/Hockey-Jerseys

Ouch.

This pre-season has been rough for us, too. Most hills had to push their openings back a week.

This will be my 3rd season living up here full time. First year the snow was amazing, last year was meh, and this one isn't looking so hot. Then again, it might make January and February better for snow since it often gets too cold to dump. I have a feeling that it'll just cut the season shorter - we always get the best snow in March and April, but yeah... spring will probably bounce back quicker than normal. Riding A-Basin in June is going to be sloppier than normal.

That's interesting - I'm actually heading out to move in with my girlfriend in LA some time in the next few months. Well, I don't know if that's interesting at all just kind of a coincidence I guess haha.