You're going to convert...

You're going to convert. Based on the knowledge you got about eastern orthodoxy and roman catholicism which one do you choose and why?

I now it's hard but try to not be a straight up cunt about it. Some memes are however welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n3zurm-jcVU
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm
youtu.be/b9orjxKYtfo
youtu.be/36GYBTzJyAU
youtu.be/2uUhMIVHSNQ
youtu.be/NpQSLGQ4pnw
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Catholicism is more loosey goosey on rules and more numerous so I can network and social leveraging more.

I kill myself before I cuck myself to the local desert death cult.

I'm sorry OP, both are literal meme Churches. Go to your local church,as long as you believe in God, that Jesus died for you and live knowing that it doesn't matter what Church you go to.

Could you clearify which one is the "desert cult"?

The one that worships a Jew on a stick

Catholic, but I don't know much about eastern orthodoxy.

Catholic by a long shot, they understand that society changes and you have to develop with it. The Orthodox Church is stuck in the past and delusionally clings to tradition above real concerns.

Catholicism, just because I can read Latin already and I don't feel like learning the Cyrillic alphabet. I do think the Orthodox policy on priest marriage & celibacy makes more sense tho.

Reminder lads.

>The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1 Corinthians 1:18

Catholicism

my country is traditionally catholic

this, the cross isn't just a stick

Most Orthodox people here are LARP'ers. Catholicism actually keeps up with the times and is a serious religion.

Mine aswell, and I am. But thought it would be cool to see what early bird Veeky Forums folk had to say.

Orthodoxy. Their descriptions of heaven, hell, sin, and God make more sense.

I'll ask God to help me decide - because my eternal life is in place and it's not just some role-play.

I've already done that and went with orthodoxy.

It was not like I heard the voice of God but I asked for signs, sometimes obvious signs.

>an italian catholic man and a russian orthodox woman fall in love with each other
What would happen?
Do Orthodox-Catholic couples tend to get a long well?
What are the advantages, and disadvantages?

Roman Catholicism, I made that choice already.

The primary reason is because it's actually a united church and not horrendously divided across ethnic lines, this is what turned me off the most about Eastern Orthodoxy, the lack of cohesion and focus, an obvious consequence of a lack of central leadership that comes with acknowledgement of the Bishop of Rome as chief.
The history of the Catholic Church is also incredibly rich and distinguished, with a true global mission of charity and salvation, compared to the more obscure and generally less accomplished history of the Eastern Orthodox Church. That kind of makes me feel like we really have God on our side, we were able to accomplish such great things in terms of charity and goodness all across the world for so long, and against such long odds.

I love my orthobros, I wish we could mend the schism because united we could be such a strong force for good in the world, but our differences are still too great for now.

Islam because Allah (swt)

Although Veeky Forums is a terrible place to have a serious discussion about religion, allow me to demonstrate that Orthodoxy is the only serious option for anybody who holds the early church fathers in high regard.

>contrary to patristic teaching, Catholics administer chrismation, which they call "confirmation," separate from baptism

>contrary to patristic teaching, Catholics deny communion to infants

>contrary to patristic teaching, Catholics use instruments in worship

>contrary to the teachings of the seventh ecumenical council, Nicaea II, they depict God the Father, when the council said that only the Son could be depicted

>contrary to the earliest church fathers, they teach purgatory

>contrary to the earliest church fathers, they teach the notion of original guilt, whereas the early father's taught that it was merely the inclination to sin that was passed down by Adam, identical to the Orthodox notion of ancestral sin

>contrary to patristic teaching, including the teaching of St. Augustine, they teach the immaculate conception

>contrary to patristic teaching and EVEN THEIR OWN POPES of the Middle Ages, they teach the filioque heresy, that the Spirit proceeds from the Son

>contrary to the teaching of the sixth ecumenical council, they teach that the bishop of Rome is infallible on matters of faith and morals, wheras the sixth ecumenical council condemned Pope Honorius as a heretic

The list of medieval Catholic innovations and departures from the teachings of the early church fathers are simply to numerous to list in their entirety. This ought to suffice for now.

I'm already baptized into Catholicism, although I'm an atheist.

If for some reason I stopped being both an atheist and baptized and I had to pick one I would pick orthodoxy, because it looks cool.

Indeed. It is 2 sticks

What about Byzantine Rite Catholicism?

youtu.be/n3zurm-jcVU

How did you go about converting?

Uniate heretics.

but I'm already catholic. my brother though, he's a jew.

Literally
>How do you do, fellow Romans
The religion.

Happened in my family.

But the Roman Catholic Church has also commited such horendous crimes throughout history, which makes you doubt if God was on their side.

Catholicism.

Orthodox fails to look long term unlike Catholicism. They are either looking back or asking how high when Putin says jump.

Catholicism, because I find the way the treat icons more reasonable.

How did that happen? Convert? One parent was Jewish and the other Catholic?

it's pretty common, they usually just pick one for the children and the other parent keeps their faith

then they just celebrate both orthodox and catholic holidays with their extended families

it's pretty cool desu, i know a few instances personally

What do you think?

ttp://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law

huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html

I appreciate the spectacle and the majesty of an Orthodox mass more than really any Catholic mass I've ever attended, and I appreciate the more rigidly defined separation of tiers of religiosity, so with a gun to my head I'd definitely lean towards Constantinople.

user, not the OP but I am very interested, as my father is becoming an affiliate of the Orthodox church and I wish to study the difference between them and Catholics.

Roman Catholicism, because it is the One, True, Holy and Apostolic Church established by Jesus Christ himself.

Why not simply Byzantine Rite Roman Catholicism, which looks cool just like Eastern Orthodoxy?

>Catholicism, just because I can read Latin already and I don't feel like learning the Cyrillic alphabet.
What does the cyrillic alphabet have to do with orthodoxy tho.
inb4 orthodox = russian

Help, I believe that
>The history of the Catholic Church is also incredibly rich and distinguished, with a true global mission of charity and salvation, compared to the more obscure and generally less accomplished history of the Eastern Orthodox Church. That kind of makes me feel like we really have God on our side, we were able to accomplish such great things in terms of charity and goodness all across the world for so long, and against such long odds

but I also think that :
>Orthodoxy. Their descriptions of heaven, hell, sin, and God make more sense.

what do?

you gotta do something about that

Catholicism, because that's the only thing I've know for a fact is correct.
Catholic, no question.
Because most of Orthodoxy is either slavs, more slavs, gypsies, russians, or greeks. It's the religion of Eastern Europe sans Poland and Croatia.

Hell or Hell.

Hmmmm, tough choice.

Orthodoxy, so I don't run into this cunt.

>>old gods
>>dead
Oh really? I got some bad news preacher boy, as we speak a new temple to the germanic pantheon is being built in iceland. While belief in your faith is declining.

Funny how christendom isn't worth much it isn't wedded to state power anymore.

>getting triggered by the facts
"""True"""" Church my ass.

Except no one actually believes in Germanic paganism its just edgy contrarianism

Amen.

As said, edgy contrarianism.

Orthodox are just as guilty of persecuting heretics using the Byzantine as their muscle.

Hence why most heretic Christians supported Muslim conquest, since they didn't actively persecute them because they weren't Orthodox.

What the fuck does this have to do with history/ humanities

>literally located at the edge of humanity
>followers are ex Christians who need spirituality that doesn't challenge their internal racism or progressive liberalism

Religion > humans got religion > humanities.

Oh look more paintings. Too bad for you that your faith's future is in the "developing" world. You have no armies or governments backing your faith anymore and guess what? It's dying.

Sucks to be you christard.

>It's dying.
Where? In Europe, maybe. In South America, oh it's growing.
>his taste in reaction images are shit

Dying? Thus they build all 'em new churches in Poland for example, so it still got a mighty billion of followers. In short, you don't know shit. Do tell, are you a butthurt atheist or wannabe goat fucking pagan?

Catcuck because I can be total hypocrite and do whatever the fuck I want as long as I confess to some old coot in a box.

Yes dying, churches being built in the poorer part of europe means nothing, as the overall trend continues to be one of decline. Poland will not be some sort of exception to what happens to european states as they get wealthier.

>>Do tell, are you a butthurt atheist or wannabe goat fucking pagan?
Try, an atheist who has respect for the beliefs of euro-polytheists. And I'm not butthurt, because at the end of the day you and your church are losing.

South America is "developing".

Prove it.

grew up catholic and went to catholic school

really looked at the content of the beliefs over a long period of time, and I didn't consider myself a Christian anymore during the latter half of high school

I was entertaining the possibility of becoming a priest at one point in time believe it or not. glad that I studied all of the major world religions before I had to decide anything.

>And I'm not butthurt, because at the end of the day you and your church are losing.
>I'm not butthurt

Allahu Ackbar motherfucker, youre in for a wild ride when youre old.

>tipping this hard

How common are guitars and english singing in catholic churches these days?
What about the tridentine mass?

>South America is "developing".
Chile would like a word with you, senpai.

english being used for mass in the catholic church has been standard for a long time. a latin mass only occurs on special occasions in some churches.

The common Sunday mass is very different from the Tridentine mass. Usually there's two readings then a gospel with some of the components of the Tridentine mass included. After this, the priest/deacon gives a homily and a simplified version of consecration and communion occurs.

if you want to read the whole proceedings of a sunday mass nowadays, here's a link to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops site on it (basically the official US Catholic website):
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

Guitars and things like that aren't used most of the time. A traditional choir and organ is still used, but the songs are more protestant in nature nowadays.

Oriental Orthodoxy is the coolest of the traditional churches. The "Nestorian" Church of the East's liturgical dialect is the most conservative and closest to classical Syriac.

youtu.be/b9orjxKYtfo
youtu.be/36GYBTzJyAU
youtu.be/2uUhMIVHSNQ
youtu.be/NpQSLGQ4pnw

>the orthodox church is so irrelevant that they literally pay people to shill on Veeky Forums for them

CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP FAMILY

>people in Iceland that are atheists are building 1 """"""""""temple"""""""""" devoted to practice their religion that's an attempt at reconstructing ancient pagan faiths that we have little to know actual knowledge about
>This somehow proves European neo-pagans will outnumber Christians some day
What about in Africa and Latin America?
It' growing there, and it's not like we can really accurately predict what's going to happen in the distant future. Some sort of religious revival could happen

>I do think the Orthodox policy on priest marriage & celibacy makes more sense tho.
Matters of discipline rather than doctrines of faith, and the Eastern rite Catholics can have married priests

orthodoxy, as it is closer to the mysticism of christianity. catholicism is blended too well with paganism

Judaism

Thiiiiiiis. Born Catholic and when I go to church it's a Catholic one because I like the traditions behind it, but all that superfluous crap autists on here like to fight over is just that, autism. God loves us and won't set us on fire forever for minor rules created by medieval politicians. Frankly I think even righteous non-Christians will get to heaven eventually. And evil people calling themselves that won't until they've payed.

Nice heresy that lacks any substance or justification

youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

SOON

>this is what heretics actually believe

>>heretic
It's what normal people who still go to church every so often think. Nobody cares about your stupid and autistic Deus Vult roleplaying garbage.

>This somehow proves European neo-pagans will outnumber Christians some day
They will simply because their numbers are growing and the christians are shrinking. I don't think neo-pagans will ever be a majority, mind you, but europe's future is not going to have much to do with the christian faith.

>>What about in Africa and Latin America?
Africa is irrelevant except as a place to extract resources from. Latin America is still very poor.

>>it's not like we can really accurately predict what's going to happen in the distant future. Some sort of religious revival could happen

The only way christendom becomes a thing again is the mass scale destruction of modern knowledge, and the deaths of all those who criticize christianity.

We live in far too knowledgeable of a society for genuine universal religious faith to ever really take root again honestly.

People will still believe illogical things obviously, but any further religious growth in the developed world will occur among faiths that are useful for the purposes of ethnic nationalism.

What can the catholic church do about it's aging problem? The average age of priests is now 65(!), never mind the further up the chain you get the older they get,

How can young people relate when literally every Priest is 45+ years their senior.

The word "presbyter" is the Greek word for "elder", and is the source of the English word "priest", so I don't really see how that is a problem. The Orthodox Church often has very young priests (mine isn't though), and I actually find that more disconcerting.

Have more people become priests?

Because I live in a Catholic country where we do not have Byzantine rite churches.

It would simply be easier to convert at one of the orthodox churches built for Slavic and Romanian migrants than to bother getting into a different rite of Catholicism.

Elder doesnt mean old. To a 15-25 year old (the demographics that are now extinct in the Catholic church) a 30-40 year old priest is elder (which was the average age of priests 30 years ago).

Why do you find young (what age do you consider young) priests disconcerting?

I'd love to be a priest.

I don't even really believe in God but being a priest looks like the comfiest job on the planet. It's not like I'm ever going to reproduce as is so may as well make a career out of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I could just do it because they're that strapped for priests despite being massively under-qualified.

If I had to pick one, I would pick Catholicism because it's my country's religion, no other reason. I could walk to my local church in like 5 minutes every Sunday instead of having to go pretty far for an orthodox church.

>Sometimes I wonder if I could just do it because they're that strapped for priests despite being massively under-qualified.
Then become qualified and learn to shut your mouth.

wew lad.

Sorry if I touched a nerve by admiring the priest life, no need for the hate like.

the one without a commie muslim head of church

So... Protestants?

Just is weird seeing a sixty-year-old parishioner kissing the hand of a priest much younger than he is and calling him father. Christ was pretty young in his ministry, so there's obviously no technical problem with it (although I think in the Church canons, the age used to be 40 minimum for priests), but it's still weird.

Priests can be and generally are married in the Orthodox Church, provided they were married before they were ordained. Bishops can't be though, which is why bishops are generally chosen from monasteries.

former protestant here.

It seems to me like Catholics, as a general rule, tend to be the least pious and religiously devout -- they're in effect atheists, whilst claiming to be members of a church, that believes in Christ, and 9000 other false idols/saints -- but hey, that's another topic.

ur wrong

Yeah but I don't live in an Orthodox country.

I don't fancy learning Romanian, on top of possibly the liturgical languages to give mass to all the first generation diaspora.

>hate
Nigga if you wanna be a priest go be a priest. Just don't shit like "I don't believe in what I preach"

Hell yeah we are.

Hence why Catholicism is the GOAT, except for third worlders who take this shit seriously.

I'd say I believe in it about as much as every other baptised European.

I'd like to be a priest for some long term stability, but as it stands the NEET life is hard to escape.

Then go study it up and become a priest.

70% of the clergy of the Antiochian Church in America are converts, pretty sure they don't speak Arabic.