Are the Romans overpraised?

I hate to say it guys, but I think it's true. While the Romans did improve on it, yes, most of the Roman culture's successes were highly Greek-derived. Philosophically, art-wise, etc. were largely tiny leaps forward from Greek ideas.

There is a reason every modern westerner knows who Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates are to some degree, but might go "Marcus Auriwho???"

In addition, it's government system was nothing special. The Roman Republic was a fascinating conception, but the moment it became an empire, it just became another land ruled by an absolute ruler in the long list of those in history.

I just don't see why this should get all that much praise.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Sinaitic_script
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law#Roman_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rome is like Steve Jobs, it didn't actually create all those wonderful laws, military tactics, and iPhones, those were all made by people that Rome subjugated, but nobody cares about them because they weren't the leaders whose face you saw, Rome/Jobs was.

See also: Justinian the Great, so called despite having never left Constantinople and all of the conquests attributed to him were actually done by Beli"literally who"sarius. Or Genghis Khan and Subutai, or Augustus and Agrippa.

Yes they are overrated. Han china and Persia were superior.

you say this while writting using latin alphabet

Mate, learn some linguistics.
The Latin alphabet is descended from the Greek alphabet. Almost every letter in it has a Greek equivalent, though a few letters were tossed in and such. So yeah, minor change to Greek achievement.

If anything, we remember Greece thanks to the Roman Empire.

and the greek alphabet came from the Phoenician alphabet

Also a group conquered by the Romans, btw. I'm not claiming Greece gets all the success.

And he's the funny thing, if you go back all the way to the beginning of the lineage, the hieroglyphics, that was also from a culture that the Romans conquered.

So yeah.

Because without the Roman Empire, Greece would just be an irrelevant backwater largely ignored by history except for maybe Alexander. Rome was the stimulus for spreading Greek culture and setting the basis of Europe and the Mediterranean. This extends to other things too. Christianity (and by extension Islam), philosophy, literature, and arts spread through the efficient Roman road systems. Also, the modern state concept derives almost entirely from Rome, as well as does nationalism. Military structures today are also based on the Roman military. Our laws are based from Roman laws. Our urban planning is based from Roman planning.

You dont go back to hyeroglyphs you go back to cuneiform which is a place the romans never conquered

>hieroglyphics are the predecessors to alphabetic construction

No.

Mate, from which language do you think this fucking alphabet is borrowed directly?

Yes.

I'm almost the Romans briefly conquered the Fertile Crescent at least once, I mean one of the popular maps has Babylonia on it.

Prove it.

Opinions, opinions.

Why do you feel that Persia was a power to rival Rome? Their golden age was long past during Rome's domination.

Han China and Rome were world's apart yet they did know of each other.

Cuneiform is not believed to have become any further alphabets actually. It was an early writing system, but it has no descendants. Hieroglyphs have a shit ton of descended writing systems
mate, it's actually true. Look at this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Sinaitic_script

There's a chart down there that will make some sense of it. It's not very well-documented, I'll admit, but some of it still makes it clear how some hieroglyphs became the basis for phoenician letters.
Mate, you can split the alphabet anywhere you want really. We typically group everything past the Romans as "the latin alphabet", but the letters have some variances from how they used to look, and 3 letters, W, U, and J, didn't even exist at the time of the Romans. If you wanted to, it could be called the New-European Alphabet if linguists had a whim like that. This is also true between the Greek Alphabet and the Latin Alphabet as well, but it happened a long time ago, so the evidence for it slowly changing is fewer.

Marius came up with Romes tactics you faggot

IIT: butthurt greek boy lovers

based ty post

I wouldn't call it praise so much as impact.

it can't be argued that the Roman Empire's existence, both through the Republic, the Empire, and the Byzantine eras, has shaped European identity and culture in a way no other single entity could.

From the Latin Alphabet, to the idea of a republic and a senate with representatives that represent their constituents, to the codification of Civil Law, to the architecture and art that adorn western buildings and hallways, the Roman Empire's impact on Europe and the World at large is seen almost everywhere you walk in a westernized nation.

It gets praise because the source of many European cultures and customs can find their way back to the Roman Empire. That this one institution that stood for nearly 2200 years is the foundation for how much of society operates to this day.

it literally wouldn't matter at all if everything they did was a copy of someone else's.

>I hate to say it guys, but I think it's true. While the Romans did improve on it, yes, most of the Roman culture's successes were highly Greek-derived. Philosophically, art-wise, etc. were largely tiny leaps forward from Greek ideas.
Which is why that civilization is often considered Graeco-Roman. All cultures are built on the foundations of their predecessors and while Rome did not IMPROVE on established ideas so much, their ability to spread and maintain it are what built the foundations of literally the entire modern world. Even as far as Japan you will still feel the influence of the Roman world. Their government separates powers according to the model Polybios observed in the Roman Republic, have a legislative authority that represents the people as in the Roman Republic, and use a Code Civil knock-off with the Code Civil being Napoleon's answer to the Codex Iustinianus.

Hmm, so if I'm reading this right, the main reason Rome was so important was spreading of Greek, Egyptian, Phoenician, and other such ideas over a large area, that provided the cultural basis for Europe.

Yet almost all the places that make up modern Europe that were placed under Roman influence, were places where Europe did not invade nations, but tribal groups. All of its conquered enemy nations were in the Mediterranean.

So basically the importance of Rome was converting european "barbarians" to Mediterranean ideas. I suppose that is a pretty common thing of praise historically, all things considered,

OP is satisfied.

Yes, Chaldean Empire was the golden head.

Go to

I went there, what's the point? There's nothing in that post that proves me wrong.

>or Augustus and Agrippa
Augustus owed his military victories to Agrippa, but the consolidation of his power both politically and culturally were due to himself.

Rome made the legal system that we use today, not Greece. They also developed what it meant to be a citizen more then Greece did, in my opinion.

>common law
>Roman

How about yes?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law#Roman_law

And that's excluding the influence of Civil Law on Common Law. In fact, the way Common Law treats Torts is closer to Roman law than Civil Law is.

You mean Marc Anthony

He is talking about Post Civil war victories and victories against Antony

And we remember Romans thanks to dune coons. Surely, you don't need someone else to tell you that preserving documents is a few steps below laying the foundation for society on the human achievement scale.

Romans had trap doors in thier Colosseum, exotic animals fighting humans, they even flooded the place and re-enacted navel battles.

Sports Entertainment of that magnitude deserves the respect the Roman empire gets

Horrible examples and oversimplified point

>mfw someone implies that Rome wasn't glorious near me