Anyone here go to fashion school? Is it possible to go to fashion school for fun? I want to have a real job too someday

Anyone here go to fashion school? Is it possible to go to fashion school for fun? I want to have a real job too someday.

ouch. leave us alone

fashion school? wtf is that

Dawg I've been Trying to find the mobile pape of this where it's inverted plus border and God help me I cant find it anywhere.

I teach at a fashion school actually.

I don't teach fashion though. There are still general curriculum subjects.

My class is 95% girls. Boys don't seem to have an interest.

I would go to a fashion school but I'm majoring in accounting at a shitty commuter school just so I can get a job easier
I have no freinds because nobody at school talks and my freinds from HS are off having fun at flagship state schools
I haven't had fun in 2 years
Yay me

I go to FBI Fashion College in Sydney and I fucking love it, it's great. I do Fashion Business there. 10/10 would recommend.

I'm a guy, and it's mostly girls

same shit over here man

I hope I can transfer but it's gonna be hard to convince my parents unless it's a really good school

I study Architecture at a Fine Arts/Design schools. The fashion fags usually end up being either poor wagecucks at McDonald´s or working in the fast fashion industry. The second pays pretty good, though.

>tfw honours science at flagship school
>tfw classes are 80% grills and it's in the biological sciences so they're somewhat attractive
>tfw every guy is either gay or puts in 0 effort
Life's gud for this Bi faggot

Does anybody remember tripfag called ''user'' ? Heard he goes to Antwerp school of arts..

"fashion school" dude here, i strongly advise against studiying fashion design "just for fun" its not as easy as people think it is, i actually switched schools to study fashion and textile design, i actually finished first year of mech engineering but i hated it with all my hearth, im so glad that part of my life is over, with that said, i can tell you what the biggest difference between a stem major and fashion design is. The workloads are pretty much the same if you take both educations seriouslly but its way easier to do jack shit and still barely pass in fashion design, and the most important thing for me is that i actually get to make shit here as opposed to just discussing theory and noumbers behind a product but never even touching it or trying to make it. also im actually the only straight male student at the school and if i didnt have a gf i would be drowining in pussy so thats a plus that you should def consider. also it costs a lot, i live in a country where college is free, so i cant compare the tuition prices of eng. and fashion, but i spend a whole lot more money here than i did ant eng., textiles are expensive, the plus side is that you can make some money on the side by selling what you make, but most of the projects that we do are completley unwearable so that just sits in a boc in your basement forever, but you do get to keep the pictures and use them for your portfolio, which is well worth it.

sorry for any spelling and grammar errors, im still working on my english

hey im doing a semester there in a few months, hope ill meet him

My mom did, didn't turn out very well for her job-wise.

I want to know about the options after. Is it hard to get a job?

its not hard if youre good at what you do and youre actually talented, theres a lot of people in my class that thought they were good but got proven otherwise and now barely come to any of the clasess anymore and just spend their time hating themselves, this is the kind of people that all of the failed fashion student jokes are about. im this guy btw

haha shit dude i made that shit, i gotchu

fashion school is like cinema, you don't actually have to finish to have a career, most people go to start connections with other, influential people and start working

there will be always work in the fashion bussines, as long society and humans exist. Clothes are very profitable

i tought thered be more interest in a thread like this, the fact that this gets almost no replies proves how far down the shitter this board has fallen

Damn thats nice man..Are you Belgian too??

Wouldn't it make more sense to go to business school than fashion school to work in the clothing/fashion industry?

fuck this makes me want to go. where do you teach?

Fuck you I'm jealous
I haven't hung out with a friend in 2 years

You're the best!!!!
Inverted is cool too but I wasn't sure if the same person did it :)
Keep up the great work

I walk past there all the time. Where are you planning on working when you graduate?

I go to CSULB studying fashion merchandising. As the only boy in majority of the classes I'll tell you my experience.
Fashion is a business, and requires ALOT of connections. At my uni they emphasize internships to broaden our connections in the real world. If you're very antisocial and very shy then fashion major isn't for you.
It's fun and very interesting as you learn things from how to construct and analyze fabrics and materials used for any kind of clothing construction. Learn what's happening with fashion now. Requires you to always keep up to date with the fashion world in order to determine and forecast trends.
Downside? All my professors are middle aged ladies who aren't really connected to today's men's streetwear fashion.. which is a huge downer for me. And majority of people in my class don't even know the brands like Bape, yohji, dick Owens. Etc..
one thing I hate in my classes is whenever we have brand projects and designer analysis stuff. Top brands the girls pick is shit like Marc Jacobs, Tory burch, free people, urban, and brandy melville...
But in my opinion. The major is very very broad. With fashion merchandising I aim to become a product developer or control. I specialize in certain textiles and how things can be constructed like which material to use and what type of stitching and seams to use to eliminate cost.
So.. If you can handle basic bitches everywhere, you good. Remember that girl to guy ratio will always be like 10:1

Let me guess, you're Scandinavian. More particularly you're Swedish?

Anyone here applied to any some-what-reputable fashion design school with a International Baccalaureate programe? And if you have, how many points did you score, and how was your application process?

I want to get into FIDM but i'm very unsure of acceptance grade.

To be honest, I wouldn't really go to private fashion schools unless you can highly afford it, because like I've said, it's purely about connections.

It's good fun, OP. Do it.
I haven't regretted a second in my school.

i think he is Belgian since he is going to Antwerp school of arts which is one of the best college for fashion

you clearly teach at a garbage school

he's graduated iirc
remember seeing pics of his collection but i can't remember if they were from his grad collection or not

If I'm not mistaken, a girl from my IB freshman class got into a respected NY school.

(you'll be throwing your life/scholarship away for a shit degree though)

I completely forgot that mainstream fashion is shit like Calvin Klein and Michael Kors
Nobody in my class knew who yohji or rick was
Wtaps and neighborhood too
Made me sad

Can you minor in that?

I graduated from a school earlier this year

it's not as fun as people make it out to be

it's actually insanely stressful

being almost 9 months out of school, i've only been able to land a 4 month internship at a designer company

it's definitely a very scary field to jump into

in terms of safety of career choice, i chose a production major which was supposed to have significantly more positions available than design, and i'm still struggling to find a job

highly advise anybody who is planning on going to, or is currently enrolled in, a fashion school to intern as early as possible, regardless of what your school's system allows

upon graduation, i only had a 3 month internship under my belt, and most entry level positions want 1-3 years of experience--keep in mind, these positions dont pay more than 20/hr

currently working on my own collection and am probably gonna freelance a bit to fund the startup costs

any questions in regards to the obvious fears of jumping into said industry, ask away

I went to fidm
definitely not worth the money spent
i was able to get an aa in apparel industry (production) management without getting any debt, but had i continued, i'd be fucked

if you're gonna be taking loans out anyway, i strongly advise to go to parsons or even fit

fidm's aa programs aren't great, their advanced programs are better, but can have a lot of carry over from the initial programs

fidm is very easy to get accepted to
i actually had a hard time getting into the school because my high school grades were so high, sat scores were high, and my sat records had berkeley, mit, etc listed as schools, and computer engineering and chemical engineering as majors

as someone who had no artistic abilities outside of creative writing, you dont need it
everything i know how to do was taught, and it's all up to you on how well you nurture the skills

the system at fidm isnt amazing, but the emphasis you put into learning can greatly change what you get out of the school

Hey man glad you are still here..where in Antwerp you live? How's life? Hope your collection will turn out great desu..Best wishes!
Also Make Antwerp Great again

sorry i thought you went to Royal Academy Antwerp

Those schools are considered scams because 99% of the graduates are like you... complete failuresvand will never be true..real design the industry.

You enter thinking you'll be the next Tom Ford but in reality you're in debt working for free in your spare time and flipping burgers to cover living expenses

You had no artistic abilities whatsoever?
What did they teach you how to do then?
Did you know how to cut and sew at all?
What about computers at all did you have to utilize design programs like photoshop or illustrator or anything?
Sorry for so many loaded questions I'm just genuinely curious.

Oh another CSULB alumni

That's cool masters right?

Yeah so that will be a big.mac with a medium fry and a sprite no ice

lol

i dont believe i did
they teach you flat sketching by hand, then on illustrator, and then they teach you how to do fashion illustrations that requires you to use illustrator and photoshop together

i didnt know how to make patterns, cut fabric correctly (there are differences when cutting knits vs cutting wovens), i didnt know how to sew

all of these things are taught

yes photoshop and illustrator are taught but not well in my opinion
i entered school being self taught those programs, and was just shown how to use my skills for a fashion application

other computer stuff would be ERP software, which is a solution used to manage things like inventory, create purchase orders, etc

as well as PDM, which we used to create tech packs (if you do go to a fashion school, you'll learn what this is, though it's a product development-production thing and not a design thing)

dont mind the questions at all m8

Bumping this interesting thread

Thanks man really insightful stuff.
Were you not required to make a portfolio or anything beforehand? If so what was that process like.
Are you currently working in the industry? Also why FIDM and not another school or even a European or Asian school?

i did the inverse of what other posters here. i dropped out of normal school and started cutting clothes at 19 for this womens wear company. that shit is really hard and not that fun, and eventually it collapsed, but now i know how to make clothes sort of and sometimes i do. people want to buy them but i don't really make enough to sell them or anything. some day maybe, idk. i kind of hate fashion rn and i'm a lazy piece of shit.
idk what you mean by go for fun. either go and you probably won't really get a high fashion job, you'll work at a store and make clothes on the side hoping to making it, or don't go and do the same exact shit.
if you're good you can probably just find a good sewer by asking around and bring them some stuff and be successful starting that way.
but i feel like you just want to be in a 90% girl environment and have an excuse to wear drapey all black shit for four years.
i will say i have some friends that went to FIT and they seem pretty competent.

Why drop out of school and learn how to make clothes and not utilize it?

idk isn't that what "for fun" is? i do other stuff right now that i'm also interested in so its okay i guess. i kind of want to pattern out some clothes because i know where to sell them too but fashion is a lot of work so i'd kind of have to devote myself solely to that for a year or more to even get started.
its really a huge ordeal and not like "have some ideas and then drink some champagne at a party".
making clothes is really expensive and time consuming, the manufacturing is expensive (either you get a lot for cheap or a little for a lot, but a lot for cheap is just more for more money, if that makes sense.)

If any of you are still ITT I have some questions. So I live in a bumfuck small town and I would certainly have to move to study at a fashion school. So with that in mind in the US what would be the most condusive school for developing relevant connections and getting internships with real designers? I dont want to go to some shit school and pay thousands of dollars to listen to some old bitch talk about how cool Calvin Klein is. I want educated teachers who know about the kind of fashion that I care about, so like more avant garde and forward thinking designers. Aitor throup, raf, rick and bruno pieters are some of the most inspiring designers to me. Im also in the military so I would have to study somewhere that has a military base as well (not active, but reserve so like part time military ). So with that being said I looked at schools in NYC like FIT and Parsons and they are insanely expensive, on top of the fact that living expenses in NYC are very high too. So all that considered if there is a school worth all that $$$ then I will do it but I just want to know what school teaches the most condusive curriculum when it comes to designing. (Side note, I also want to study with a high level of focus on environmentally sound practice, as well as ethically sound as well. So I dont want to use any animal materials IE wools leather silk ect.)

>in the US what would be the most condusive school for developing relevant connections and getting internships with real designers?
>FIT and Parsons
there you go
if you're good you can go somewhere else and end up okay. but if you want connections thats where you would go.

You could also try going to school overseas aswell

none of those, im from a country most of you dont really know, but it has a school that produced some big names, im just doing an exchange at Antwerp for a semester, and ill probablly also do one at Borås next year.

this is pretty accurate, lots of girls and gay dudes, im originally from a very rural area and i was kind of raised whit a bit of homophobia, but i got used to them an were actually friends now, about the girls, theres a lot of just plain basic bitches in the school, but they rarely ever make it unless theyre mad attractive. the thing is that the class almost always has a small group of the "it" students that are studiying fashion design for the right reasons an are good at what they do, if youre in that group youll be fine.

i wouldnt bundle calvin klein in with michael kors.

hey man im actually in the military myself, currently reserves because im in school, but they system is way different over here so i really cant help you as far as where to study in the states goes, most of the schools are free here.

What country are you from and what designers have come from there?

I dropped out after a year into a 2 year program

My advice : don't do it

Not because it sucks in any 1 way or another, but because if you're posting here chances are you have no fucking clue what is going on

Im looking applying to Bunka once I finish my undergraduate science degree at home

here forgot to reply. What sort of portfolio would I need? My university and high school didnt offer anything fashion design related.

no portfolio needed for my major, just an entrance project
entrance project required me to come up with a style and be able to explain why it would make sense in the current market

i am not currently working, i just ended an internship at a relatively well known designer
have only been able to get a few interviews, no offers, so i'm currently working on my own stuff

i went to fidm because it was the only thing that made financial sense, compared to going to parsons, fit, csm
i wanted to go to bunka but i dont speak japanese at all

for design, in america, go to parsons

i would include sketches, both hand and computer, storyboards, color stories
to do your sketches, i advise you to sketch with a croqui
however, i've met people at la trade tech who definitely got a better education

I was thinking about doing CS/CE and minoring in fashion. Do you guys think that'll be a complete waste of my time? Fashion houses still need people who will make and mange their websites and online databases right? Will minoring in fashion give me an edge or is it fuck all?

>having fun at flagship state schools
wish I was having fun here

no.. im a 3rd year..

same guy here from CSULB. so in my experience and understanding about fashion majoring right now is that you go to school to learn the basis of everything. again, fashion is a business no matter what field.
with that said the purpose to attending school for fashion is to increase your basic knowledge of how the business works. so for design. you have to understand the foundation of construction in general as well as the study of different cultures and how they work. merchandising, you have to understand the cost vs profit of anything fashion related and other cultures of how they work their shit.
In the end its up to you to further your knowledge by gaining connections with the outside world. a good school will encourage you to constantly pick up internships and retail jobs for experience in hopes that youll find what you want in the end.
what makes a fashion school good isnt just teaching you how to put garments together but rather the school's connections with businesses and their relationships in the world outside of education.
So, if you want to specialize avant garde style, your best choice is the learn the basics like everyone else and find connections by getting yourself out there (with the help of the school's connections itself) and meeting people, keeping good relationships until you find someone who has connections to what you're looking for.

i dont beleive so.. i never looked into that before