Fashion designers

Who are some actually good fashion designers?

Who are some bad fashion designers?

Is Gucci's Alessandro Michele a good designer?

Raf Simons
Rousteing

I think John Galliano and Heidi Slimane are overrated.

nigga you on some dumb

hugo boss circa 1940

Alexander McQueen is, was and will forever be the greatest of all time.

RIP

galliano is a costume designer not a fashion designer
i agree with that

Michele is an incredible designer and has pretty much resurrected Gucci, with a lot of other luxury brands in their wake

other goods
Jonathan Anderson
Rei Kawakubo
Vejas
Jun Takahasi
kotoha yokozawa
Daimorf
Telfar Clemens

I can't think of anyone else rn but no one else in this thread is good except for Raf Simons

when did fa collectively get poor taste? these are all such tacky basic bitch designers (save for jun takahashi and rei kawakubo)

Rose Bertin was best.

>Jun
>good
Name me last good UC collection. Putting an album cover or lyrics in jacket isn't exactly highest form of design.

hes one of the only designers to appropriate punk wear in a tasteful/creative/original way. that takes talent

Didn't see any punk this season. Scab, Helmut Lang stuff and Adventure were goat yes, but everything else wasn't even that punkish. More like fuccboi White Mountaineering with all the materials.

sure, maybe a few seasons arent so blatantly punk but things like this fw09 biker jacket are very creative spins on classic punk items. undercoverism shouldnt be boiled down to their unknown pleasures pieces or whatever the last season contained

Unfortunately next season doesn't look that good too.

Carlo Rivetti, Martin Margiela, Neil Barrett, Garavani, Haider Ackermann

Also Elisabeth Findlay

Unironically Rick.

Why don't you name some good people. How the fuck are you gonna call Jon Anderson tacky?

Wang fuck you

oh look another special snowflake faggot who thinks he has good taste.

>muh jun
>muh rei

your identity in fashion is even more shallow than the people you call basic bitches

I think yiqing yin is criminally underrated, although she only does womenswear. last year she got membership on the chambre syndicale de la haute couture

Chitose abe (Sacai) is bae

Also JJVE (label of the same name), Melvin Tanaya & Lyna Ty (SFTM), Lemaire and Schneider are pretty up there for me

This is beautiful, thank you.

Margiela is my fav by far.

There's many good designers, but it depends on the collection, some are stronger, some are weaker.

kys

Rick Ownes dynasty

what? galiano is doing great stuff at margiela right now

how so? he's faithful to the idea of the brand but still pushing it forward with unique designs, and he has martin's praise

no mcqueen was/is the greatest not even considering his potential to grow

I wouldn't buy or wear any of it, but there's really no one to compare him too

Takahiro, Sk8thing

This is great

shouts out to olivia!

>sk8thing
>google this
>interview with some pretentious dweeb who wears a mask and demands his voice is modified

next

im honestly just not a fan of him at all
i feel as though the outfits he sends down that do resemble actual margiela designs, are merely archive updates ala raf at dior

galiano has always depended on theatrics, in my opinion

remember, pierre berge heavily cosigned hedi

I've really enjoyed her work. Good to see something innovative come out of China.

but that's what you want no? otherwise, why else be at the helm of the house if you're going to flip everything upside down? some dna has to run through the colleciton

there's a big difference between keeping the dna and rehashing things

the secretive design team that headed the direction in post margiela years kept the dna alive for a bit until it became an expected rehashed work

martin is my god when it comes to fashion, so it definitely is a guarded approach to the maison
i dont think i'll like any designer at the helm, and having a personal distaste for galiano just adds to that

but people, such as yourself, are a fan of the work he's doing, so who cares what i think

>who is angel chen
>who is ziggy chen
>who is uma wang

pay more attention

Raf Simons
Helmut Lang
Maison Margiela
Rei Kawakubo
Yohji Yamamoto
Demna Gvasalia

yo shout out to my man alessandro he killing shit with the embroidered tigers n allat goodie goodie
i look at this and say, margiela shoes are too big for galiano to fill

R A F S I M O N S
I
C
K

O
W
E
N
S

Thierry Mugler

lol that's exactly what you're doing by recycling the ethnic riders, for fucks sake

white boi never learn desu

Rousteing is not all that
his best designs came from Decarnin, although he's grown a lot and I do appreciate that he's gone in his own direction instead of sticking to rehashing old stuff

Simons is incredibly talented but doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of todays youth, which is what made his earlier collections so great

how about the ogs?
vivienne westwood and malcolm mclaren
Nemeth embodied the true spirit of punk with his rejection of the Western fashion industry via his move to Japan and a commitment to making things firstly for himself and secondly for the mass market

modern day torchbearers would include
Yujiro Komatsu, Takatomo Ariga, Masatomo Ariga, and Tomoko Moriya
Daisuke Yamamoto
Christian Dada

in fact, the most compelling modern takes on punk have been coming out of Japan

Jun had some fantastic collections but he's largely moved on from punk influences and his recent recycling of the 'design a collection around an iconic alternative rock album' idea got old really fast
My favorite designers are probably

Nicolas Ghesquiere and Ann D for their brilliant use of contrasting shapes, silhouettes, patterns, and materials
Richard & Cosmo Wise for their incredibly unique revival of fantastic vintage pieces and fabrics

Helmut Lang (no shit...) for just about everything, specifically his attention to details and his almost single-handed swinging of fashion away from the garish De La Renta styles of the '80's toward a modern urban cool
he's probably the most influential designer of the last 30 years

Amy Revier for her commitment to tradition, craftsmanship, and the inherent patience and mindful living this necessitates

Maurizio Altieri for his ridiculous explorations into leather and fabric treatments and his advancement of anatomic construction to the forefront of modern fashion

Good taste, All those Japanese designers you listed are extremely underrated, especially Dada

Hedi is the goat. there's a reason why his stuff sells the most.

because he used the apple refresh model for the permanent collection
it's genius, really

>Rousteing

>basic bitch designers
holy fuck could you be more retarded

>Maison Margiela

you do realise thats not the mans name right?

hedi is a great stylist, but hes not really a good designer

decent insight, but i must say that i despise westwood and mclaren, everythink the did was against the basic principles of punk.

he's a great designer too, his silhouettes are perfect look at his boots or suits for example, he's just more interested in repraising cool rock cults from over the years, also hedi practically invented the androgynous fad

>Maison Margiela
lmao holy shit

>his name is house

was carpe diem that influential to other brands?

Absolutely. Perhaps it's not as visible in mainstream brands but CD basically kickstarted the artisanal clothing revival and birthed countless offshoots and imitatiors with varying levels of talent. Altieri, Poell, and Rick took leather treatment to new realms with all their blistered, buried, hammered, washed shit. Now look at all the labels doing similar stuff. Altieri was also influential in his rejection of traditional fashion industry norms like advertising and runway shows. His showrooms were in trailers in the middle of nowhere or in the basement levels of shops. The conspicuous lack of branding, online sales, and press influenced labels like Paul Harnden to do the same. The idea was that the clothing and craftsmanship would speak for itself and the exclusivity of designer fashion was taken to a new level given the work required to actually buy the damn pieces.

Margiela was fucking amazing m8

what is it that you dislike about westwood and mclaren?
remember that they came out of the earliest gestation period of what became known as punk
they helped forge the principles of punk
they made their own stuff and sold it in the back of a little shop
they nurtured the most famous punk band ever
they curated the fuck the norm attitude that punk came to be known for with distressed clothing, explicit prints, and in your face music
westwood definitely became a more traditional mainstream designer in her later years but that's to be expected
she said what she had to say on punk and went in a new direction

I think his point was that the dude's name is not Maison. Maison means house in French. The designer's name is Martin Margiela.

hive mind

Oh yeah that, I thought he was some tasteless pleb

rick owens, been consistent for the past 10 years

nope that's just you

consistently bad for the past 10 years
everything before was great
him and raf haven't done anything remarkable in a decade

both their adidas colabs are incredibly successful

so are kanye's and pharrell's

i'm talking runway
i'm talking rtw

Thanks for explaining it to me. Does Altieri only do shoes now?

As far as I know his only project right now is m_moriabc, which is just made to order footwear.
He might have more in the pipeline that he's just waiting to reveal.

doing a bit more research it seems he's finishing up with m_moriabc and working on something new perhaps more on the garment side of things again
info is scarce

vivienne westwood and malcolm mclaren didnt appropriate punk culture, they started that whole style. thats why i didnt include them. obviously i think they are amazing. i like your taste

rousteing is a fucking hack with no talent

Yes, I see that I misread your original post. It does seem redundant to list them as punk designers.

you seen his womenswear?
a lot of it is gorgeous
seems like most people here, myself included, only look at menswear and often miss out on some of the amazingly creative womenswear designers whose menswear is lackluster or derivative

also these beaded jackets from a few seasons ago are fantastic

i havent seen his womenswear, and those jackets are cool

its just kinda fun to slander rousteing lol

why?
because he's famous and wealthy and good looking?

yes, yes, and yes

most people who hate him are just edgelords that associate balmain with the kardashians and dont know the first thing about his work

Hope he does it soon, I really want to see what he comes up with next.

yeah, I'm intrigued
I'd be entirely unsurprised to learn that he's been working on some project for a decade or more and he's just now going to start working on it full time
his work has so much depth and reflects a lot of his personal views, much of which goes over my head
I can only imagine what sort of feels he gets from making stuff and trying to realize his own ideas in physical form

>considering his potential to grow
mate he fucking killed himself. not growing much anymore

that's the point...