Veeky Forums books

Do Veeky Forums think rich people read selfhelp?

I do not understand how Veeky Forums keep recommending certain kind of books.
I read "The Richest Man in Babylon" because of you bastards. Book is so poorly written and the concepts are so basic that I was ashamed as a reader.

Other urls found in this thread:

bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
earlyretirementextreme.com/
mrmoneymustache.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_thrift
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think biographies of other successful people are better sources of life advice.

Because the people who browse Veeky Forums mostly have the IQ of a garden snake. It's not a secret that self-help books are generally trash. There's about two good self-help books.

I'd recommend a primer on basic English before you post here again. If saving income and paying off debt were such common sense, poor people wouldn't all be poor.

>There's about two good self-help books.

Those would be?

Personally, in relation to this thread, I don't read anything self-help related. I'll read a few biographies of interesting people, though. Benjamin Franklin's biography by Isaac Waterson and his autobiography are pretty good.

i find the book meme pretty hilarious too. becoming rich via investing without inherited starting capital is 1/3 raw work, 1/3 economic research skills and 1/3 luck 2bh

lol no.

rich people are the guys doing the writing/ having it outsourced and done for them.

then they sell it to people who want to be rich. and so it goes.

I did, but then I read some things a guy on Veeky Forums posted and noticed it is not about the books, the guy was just in the know.

>tfw will never be wise user

Rich people solve problems and are generally source agnostic to real solutions.

You'd have to give us some context about yourself to really have a good recommendation.

As far as self help there are two that the successful biz folk like

Awaken the Giant Within
&
Think and Grow Rich

Rarely do the camps mix.

I'm part of the latter and think Tony's half truths facile.
While TonyFags think Hill's crazy religiosity and NoFap message hits way off base.

I see a lot of happy people with noam chomsky but none of them are rich.

The richest man in babylon is on the level of who moved my cheese.
but for some people that's exactly what they need to get started.

You have to understand that most books and best sellers are written for the average man.

Where are you in your financial journey?

Here's your reading curriculum:

>The Millionaire Next Door
Savings is more powerful than earnings. American consumer culture is killing the middle class and the vast majority of millionaires are simple people who make decent money but saved hard and lived frugal.

>Common Sense on Mutual Funds
The financial services industry is a joke and you need to dispel all the stock bullshit that Veeky Forums falls for. Just buy Vanguard funds.

>Devil Take the Hindmost
A brief history of stock fads and manias so you can recognize it and know what to avoid (i.e. Veeky Forums falls for stupid fads like meme stocks and cryptocoins).

>Your Money and Your Brain
How to deal with your irrational instincts when it comes to your investments. The morons who cashed out in the 08 crash lost their savings, while the sensible who just held on saw all their value bounce back - which happens every single time.

Then just pick a lazy portfolio and stick with it:

bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

If you need practical advice on how to spend less and save more, here my two favorite blogs:

earlyretirementextreme.com/
mrmoneymustache.com/

>I'd recommend a primer on basic English before you post here again
OP here. I think anons/you understood the question, so pretty please, let me keep posting.
I promise I'll improve my english.

So... Could you recommend some of your favorites.
I read Malcolm X autobiography and it was awesome

I like this one ! Anyone have read it ?

>rich people are the guys doing the writing / they sell
THIS.

>but for some people that's exactly what they need to get started
I know, but this is Veeky Forums. Maybe we should push our recommended reads to a higher level.
>Where are you in your financial journey?
Trying to understand the economic differences between a poorfag and a rich guy. I want to become the rich one.
Reading pic related

Reading other peoples Life stories is a waste of time. Start reading you own life story first in that story you are the master of your reality. Not the bystander in some other faggots exagerrated tale.

Tl,dr of that book?

>read a new business book about wall street or silicon valley or w/e
>literally 3/4 of it is some blog shit like "well on tuesday i woke up and had a banana and went to work, I saw john who has 3 kids, he told me one of his kids was going to school..." blah blah blah

FUCK OFF I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE TOPIC REEEEE

Literally the best books are wikipedia articles

The only good books are the ones teaching you valuable information that can be used to better yourself financially. Be it saving you money on fixing things yourself, making yourself more empliyable by learning to program, or how to manipulate people like those books used to teach police officers or investigators.

>Start reading you own life story first in that story you are the master of your reality
Are you Paulo Coelho?

Thanks for the recommendations.

I think the majority of self improvement books are written by jews looking to make a dollar off of the ignorants' desire to get rich or change their lives.

They'll often pad out simple ideas and throw in a ton of quotes and use flowery wording as filler.

There's comparatively few books written by people with genuine knowledge looking to spread it.
I don't believe there'd be many, if any books detailing specific avenues of money making, by the time the writer was done making money off that avenue and decided to write and publish the book, the market would be saturated

TaGR is such a stupid book.

No, he's just a fag.

I'm going to throw a curve ball, and suggest you look for books on Writing/Speaking skills. Saving money is the most effective means of having substantial wealth, and good Writing/Speaking skills will help you career wise.

With that money just invest reasonably into some Mutual Funds, Retirement, and saving Capital for attempts to launch an enterprise. You start off with nothing, and have to work your way up.

A man with a time machine would take months to turn $100 into $1,000,000 via the stock market, so don't fall into that rabbit hole.

Don't forget to network at churches, and clubs and stuff.

>Devil Take the Hindmost
>Your Money and Your Brain
OP here. I'm gonna read these books for sure. If I like them, then the other two.
Thanks a lot for your time and advice user.

>Writing/Speaking
>Networking
Any good reads about these topics?

The books he has recommended are recommended by William Bernstein, a finanicla self help writer. Read his If You Can(it's just 16 pages). That's where these recs are from. Not saying these recs are bad(they are great recs)just that true self help is hard to find when trash like think and grow Rich is famous

Oops meant this guy and my reply was to be for and

/r/ing that pic of essential Veeky Forums books

I think reading philosophy can be more succesful at long term than selfhelp books.

How to Win Friends and Influence People and the other book is yourself.

Gotchu famalam

Any books offering a way to get rich quick are baloney.

Any books that are not specifically written on particular subject matter in regards to business, which are aimed at the general public, are garbage, and money makers for the author and publisher.

If the general public knows about it, it doesn't work. And it won't work.

Just do your own research OP into what people want. Just give them what they want OP. Its easy to find out too.

thanks senpai

Yes they do. I know a couple of them closely and all of them do. Curiously, some books one guy considered a master piece and part of the reason he got rich, the other on considered them trash.

But it depends, you'll be surprised how much people in the world lose tons of money just because they don't understand the simple things presented in the book "The richest man in Babylon"
That one is helping to focus in my project and to don't get distracted into thinking in stupid things.

most biographies on Theodore Roosevelt are fantastic

i only see these books shilled by unsuccessful people, the only book that might be an exception is "how to win friends and influence people"

Has somebody read pic related? Can't find any torrents and want to know if its worth a buy.

Martin Shkreli - 'I am God'

Dont read stupid self help book.
Read textbook.
You want to learn to manage your finance? Read the textbook for financial planner.
Want to learn about financial analysis? Read the cfa curriculum
Etc.
Dont expect more when you put in less work.

Hate Murakami, but this quote make me think about Veeky Forums read lists:
>If you read books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking

>Savings is more powerful than earnings. American consumer culture is killing the middle class and the vast majority of millionaires are simple people who make decent money but saved hard and lived frugal

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_thrift

/r/ing the bigger one of these

>If the general public knows about it, it doesn't work. And it won't work.
well this is my problem
everyone know that to predictably and legally make serious money you need serious money. catch22.

here you go

Good point,
However I'd like to point out that most people do not read books on money.

Even the most conservative estimates put this figure at 10% of the population.
Further that is all the people who know but what percentage actually apply. less.

Certainly if you'd like to enter the vaunted halls of the top 10 of the top 4% you'd need different books. But so few people care about money that you already beat out 19 of your friends with one book.

>mfw you can literally make books out of wiki articles using their built-in feature

Start by reading Investment by bodie kane and marcus. Great intro to finance.
Its a good textbook

what was it

>textbook
>Veeky Forums
Unexpected

I was reading this book recently.

There's a bit where this guy - Chuck Feeney, was actually successful, with a couple of ventures that already turned over many millions in profit, and had international offices and staff, etc

On paper, everything looked fine, but the balance sheets would fluctuate wildly, Cashflow was erratic, so he gets his directors together and they have a meeting, which involved them reading from a business book, and passing it around and discussing parts of it.

They suddenly realized that, although they based their management style on GM (separate divisions could make their own decisions, for example) they still had a head office with a treasurer - a kind of 'main guy' in charge of budgets and spending - which they themselves didn't have - the offices could spend whatever they wanted, so they did.

Hence no capital accumulated, which left them dangerously spending their Cashflow like it was a salary. By the time they hired an accountant to act as a treasurer, and merge all the books into one balance sheet, he informed them their 'profits' were just numbers - in reality, they had been pissing money away and rapidly sliding into debt as they had no working capital reserved for overheads/operating costs.

Now, I will be the first to say that guts and execution and a certain perception and mindset will get you far, and info like this could have come from a course, a video, or an adviser or consultant, but for the sake of a $2 used book (or free, from a library, or the internet now) they could have saved millions and avoided a schoolboy error that set them back.

I would say the first 20 'right' books for me helped me greatly, but the right books to unlock potential or fill in the blanks for you may be different.

Having said that, Babylon is pleb tier shit that you should download a one page summary of, or buy for a kid/nephew etc not an adult.

>it was literally written as a series of free pamphlets commissioned by a bank

Brian Tracy
Jay Conrad Levinson
Mark Victor Hansen
Jack Canfield

These names pop up far too often in
I'm skeptical when I see these names giving very broad, generic blurbs or testimonials for a book...almost as if they...never read the book...as if their opinion was for sale (profit/revenue share deal behind the scenes?)

Or, of course, there is the fact that it seems they negotiate a deal to get their name on your book, as the name of their book(s) always get a free plug...

'Brian Tracy, author of The Way To Wealth'

>bibles are in nonfiction are have the highest %
when will the world wake up from the worlds biggest scam that is religion