/diy/

Do it yourself/repurposing general
If I try real hard this thread will hit ten replies before dying edition

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/tZPcrHUi
(The pastebin is really new, so if you think it lacks some information, just ask)

I just dyed my old gi dark blue (the lighting is shit so it looks grey but trust me). I really like how it looks now. The stitching stayed white wich was a surprise for me, but it's cool

Other urls found in this thread:

www52.zippyshare.com/v/wGf0wLOm/file.html
makemypattern.com/
threadtheory.ca/
colettepatterns.com/
fabrixquare.com/men.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Another pic

Is this whole board really full with nothing but lazy asses?

I'll bump this till I die

Well, one reason is that making things cost time. Maybe another one is the lack of interest. By the way, www52.zippyshare.com/v/wGf0wLOm/file.html

I'll upload some pictures of what I made in a moment

Anybody alter their old jeans?

I have a lot of jeans from middle/high school that fit well, but I don't like the cut (wide at the leg opening). Would it destroy them to try tapering?
Should I just turn them into shorts/spare rags? I really don't want to throw them out.

What is even a good way to start learning alterations?

I mean I'd get a sewing machine and there's plenty of decent cheap ones but I don't want to mess up expensive jeans and shit

go to the thrift store and find some pants that you like but dont fit you watch one of the millions of tuts on yt. Work your way up from their.

thrift and repeat

>a moment

I'm not sure if the needle of the sewing machine can handle the fabric of your jeans. I use an industrial for that.

And I want to make some socks.

Did the dye damage the machine?

no it didn't, but it kinda dyed the cloth I washed right after dying the kimono

fortunately I had a suspicion it would so I washed something I didn't care about

don't you need a cloth that's kinda elastic for socks?

Yes you do, but I have more trouble finding a right pattern for a sock. I'll have to make my own one.

have you searched trough these?

makemypattern.com/
threadtheory.ca/
colettepatterns.com/

>sewing socks
Wait, what?

Looks p cool OP but quality of pictures is bad so I'm not really sure how well it looks irl.
I'd love to get into dyi, patches and all other shit but I'm not sure how to start. Hope someone will keep making these threads, It's always nice to see something original.

I hope you don't wear this in public

>Hope someone will keep making these threads
I'll try

patches are hard asf tho

please elaborate

You look autistic senpai

you did not elaborate

Really?

I know socks are mostly machine knitted, but I've got these pieces of stretchy fabric and I've seen some tutorials on it.

I've been trying for over a month to do one, it is hell

hand embroided patches look like shit, embroiders are greedy bastards who ask up to 50euros for one patch, and buying an embroiding machine for one patch is just retarded.

But if you want to print a patch I guess it's easier

I've been trying to turn a denim skirt that I thrifted into a yuge backpack (I want to be able to fit A3 pieces of paper in there) but unfortunatly I'm not home rn so I don't have pics

should i even bother with trying to stencil a logo onto a t-shirt, or just screenprint it?

picrel is the logo i want to do, and if it goes successfully i may do more

Recently made this. Sewing through Velcro fucking blows without a machine.

I made a backing price of Velcro and canvas and then embroidered another peice of canvas.

The big lines were a mistake and the letters are bad, but it's a first project so I'm not fretting

The canvas is fraying a ton. Anyone know how to make it not?

sew a straight stitch as close to the edge with matching thread, shouldn't fray past the stitch

I don't have a sewing machine

fraystay bro
or clear nailpolish if you have it around for a quick fix

if the t-shirt isn't expensive, try stencil, it'll be more fun

yet

Almost done. It feels tight around the sleeves.

looks super professional mang, good job

Cut off the frayed bits and blanket stich the edges

This is good

fa needs more sewfags

as in the width of the sleeve or the armhole?

Width of the armhole, I'll add 1.5 cm to the pattern next time.

just spent my morning adjusting some patterns i made for a friend
underarm was too high on my mockup sample, sleeve was too long

pattern of what? tshirt?

no, a block for a woven shirt
it'll eventually be used to create a flannel once the fit is finalized

anyone knows how I can rigidify the part of the backpack that's going to be against my back?

fibreboard? that's what they use for cap bills

Tapering is super easy, do it

if I sand down some leather boots and then condition them will it look the same again, I need to get off this black ink/dye stuff I have on them. Also is conditioning leather boots in general going to do much for them? had them for a year and literally worn them every day, they look nice and worn, don't want them to look all new and shit just maybe a deeper darker brown

do I sew it, do I glue it, what do I do?

Does the back of your backpack have 1 or 2 layers?

only one layer, it's a skirt

Bump

Any of you sell online? How successful is it? Optional: post link to your e-stores.

I really want to get into designing but not so much sewing. I'm not in it for the money (as long as in the long run I haven't lost money I'm more than happy), I just want to know that somewhere in the world people are wearing something I came up with and know someone enjoys the same kind of fashion shit that I do.

As with any market in 2016 I'm sure it's incredibly hard to get into, but say I buy blanks from Taobao or Aliexpress and kind of do my own thing with them after and sell it cheap enough that I haven't lost money, would this be an okay start? It may seem like I'm focusing too much on the business side of things already, but I know how important it is, even if money isn't the purpose at all.

I know this shit gets asked here a lot, so sorry in advance.

Anyone have experience with screen printing? I'm decent at graphic design and have an idea of buying cheap solid color pillowcases in dark colors and print on them with a bleaching solution rather than paint/ink.

I want to go cheap, DIY and convenient with the frames and whatnot.

the clothing market is hard to get into, but you already have a small community of potential buyers here on Veeky Forums
Make good stuff, shill a little, and dan't be as annoying as againstmeaning

WAYWT?

I would put it in a fabric sleeve and sew it into the backpack, kinda sandwitch it between maybe a liner layer and the shell

Or go full boyscout mode and bend some thick wire into a frame and throw it inside

tapering is pretty easy when you know how to do it. I learned myself. Some websites have tutorials or videos and shit

what do you want to design?

back home from college and found these
so i decided to turn all but the sole black and update laces to thicker white ones

I think I'll go with the fabric sleeve method, thanks!

good idea, show us how it turns out

W2c?

The postcard, the watch or the underwear?

looks super nice

You're a girl right? Where are you from?

Kek I could see why you're saying this, but I have a penis

Belgium

sorry for the disappointment, and thanks for the attention

Does a gi have pockets?

I just bought my first sewing machine. Pls don't die thread before I finished something

I've been patching some old jeans that are falling apart. Any ideas to make them cool looking?

What are you going to make?

Are you going to make crust pants? Can you show a picture?

no it doesn't

also there is no way to actually close it without a belt

Neat, interested in seeing this in other fits.

Photos and possibly the shape of it make you look a little feminine though, no homo

You could add a zipper or maybe it looks better with a belt.

Hand stitched and tested out a pattern i made from scratch on some trashy acrylic felt i found

My gumdo tunic has ribbon-things stitched in various places to tie for closure

>makes you look a little feminine
I’m underweight with long hair, I’ve already been called ma'am so it doesn't bother me at all, but thanks for the imput

A zipper would fuck up the silhouette of it imo

What's it going to be?

>Are you going to make crust pants? Can you show a picture?

They will probably eventually become crust pants, but right now they're just holey with a few patches underneath. At what point can you consider pants "crust pants" anyway?
Sorry, I don't have a good way to show a picture.

w2c these kind of parkas

I'm leaning toward a telogreika/vatnik then i might refine the pattern into something resembling a panzer wrap

fabrixquare.com/men.html
They have the New Order one you see around here a lot

fuck this shit board

Tips on dip dying?

Dip the parts that you don't want to be faded in water before dipping it in bleach

Working on making one of these

how would you go about doing that?

I meant the fanny pack strapping system. normal fanny packs don't have straps like that at all

I found some yoga strap from Walmart that fit some buckles that I removed from a laptop bang and sewed everything together. Wasn't 100% sure how I was going to connect it to the fanny pack so I just cut the original straps off and attached them(in the future ill maybe de assemble the fanny pack itself.

Fray check! You can buy it at Walmart if youre in the US or any craft store really. Basically glue that you put on the frayed edges of material and it keeps it from fraying. I also recommend doing a straight stitch along the edge like someone else said.

idk if this exactly what your'e looking for but check out /r/bleachshirts

This is great!!

can someone link a guide to distress a denim jacket/also lighten it

its too blue for me rn and I wanna lighten it up

seconding this

I'll be seeing you real soon

????

oh that's cool.

Bamp

Not him but, to get the same result as that hoodie, what ratio bleach and water to use and hw long?

Idk but I'd advise to try on a cheap hoodie before dipping 120$ in bleach

>Belgium
school?