Suits/formal wear

hello Veeky Forums

Veeky Forumsfag here so apologies for the shitty thread

i've just started work in the city here in london working in finance (equivalent of wall st)

i'm not very good at dressing myself

>well fitting blue suit, plain white shirt, plain blue/red tie, black shoes
^ this is basically all i look for when i decide what to wear at the moment

not sure what else to say but i was hoping to find a suit thread on Veeky Forums

can anyone give me advice on what to wear and where to buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My uncle used to work at Lehman Bros. I remember that he told me that the usual ''uniform'' for guys working with finance was dark grey, you shouldn't have much problems in finding nice suits in London.

I've heard good things about brooksbrothers if you're looking to just buy something online
Otherwise I'd suggest going to a Moores or an actual tailor. Suits are pretty pricey, and you don't wash them often- make sure to get the proper underwear for them! Stick with neutral colors if you can't afford many to alternate all the time (altho stay away from pure black, it can come off as intimidating).
Good luck!

thanks. yeah dark grey, and dark blue are the colours that i see the most

yep i never wear a black suit. it's for funerals or for drivers/waiters. never for actual workers in the city

does anyone buy suits online? surely you'd need to try them on before you buy it.

was landing the job hard? i don't live in the UK but i was thinking of doing my masters in finance there. if i get a job i will live there for a few years.

depends really. there's two parts to getting a job in finance

>your credentials
>your personality

i guess my credentials were good because i studied at a top 10 worldwide uni doing a STEM degree, then management after.

personality wise you just gotta be very strong resolved and confident. show them why you're the shit. almost robot like answers in interviews where you tick all the boxes. i'd recommend looking up the STAR technique as well as all the buzzwords that are needed to get a job (muh communication/interpersonal/diplomacy/team leading/analytical/technical skills etc etc)

a masters in finance would be a good idea if you want to work in the city here.

sage i guess?

Suit Supply, Tm Lewin

thanks, i'm hoping to get into imperial college and letting the credentials do most of the work. Only finished the first semester of my economics degree, so we'll see.

>London, working in the City
Alright, what's your salary, ballpark? If it's six figures, just fuck off to Poole or Huntsman, explain your situation, put yourself in their hands and pay out the ass for the best tailoring on Earth. Yes, one suit will cost you mid-four figures. So what? They'll fit perfectly, last forever, it's worth having half a dozen. I'm emphatically not kidding about this.

On the other hand, if you're a low-tier goon, just go to Suitsupply, it's on the "butt end" of Savile Row and they'll do you decent suits cut to measure for about £500 each, you'll look clean enough. Same advice: ask the guy in the store about patterns and cuts for your needs, get half a dozen either at once or over time.

This

M&S
they're pretty good

Kek

This + Charles Tyrwhitt

TM Lewin are currently offering 2 piece suits made from VBC Super 120s with half-canvassed jacket construction for £200. Can't get much better than that value wise.

Bampu for OP

>recommending Lewin and Tyrwhitt
They're shirt retailers, Anons. Shirts. You can MAYBE grab a decent tie from there, but suits? No.

If you got the cash, go to an menswear outfitter or tailor.
They'll make you look good, no matter how fucking ugly you are.

Buying suits online is a gamble for sure but if theyre a setup or they have measurements you should be able to just get your size and be good to go

not from uk, but at an ivy in us and can tell you credentials will help you get interview, but you need to work on your interviewing skills if your gonna have a chance because you will be competing with other top students with strong credentials

Guessing not Corp Fin front office?

Check out Permanent Style, although that's perhaps more casual than City uniform.

TM Lewin are great for shirts, imo, as others have said. They make shirts with unfused cuffs and collars, which you don't get often - you need to go way up the price ladder to Turnbull and Asser. I have one of their suits, a navy pinstripe, which fits quite well, but has too high a gorge for my taste.

I hope you're getting your shoes from at least Loake if not better.

As for ties, I tend to think Old Boys ties are great for spicing up ties a little, but it depends on your team. Observe what your fellow Associates wear, maybe look at VPs, and try not to outshine MDs.

Mate, he said "just started work" lol

they have a made in britain line and savile row inspired suits if that's anything

You're a fucking idiot. Do some research.
TM Lewin have the best entry level suits in the UK.

They have been known to fall apart and their wool suits 'shed'. It's grim. Make an investment, buy better I'd say.

so what about Suit Supply?

Suit Supply is GOAT for its price range.

If you're not getting tailored (which is expensive) you should try a few places, as people cut their suits differently. Believe it or not, if they fit you OK M&S suits are actually pretty good. TM Lewin and Boss fit me better.

In terms of colours, you want charcoal grey, navy, and once you have a few maybe a pinstripe. Shoes should ideally be oxfords, and black. Ties can be a range; it's the one area where you can get away with being a bit adventurous within a narrow range of colours.

If you want good advice on suits, tailoring, and traditional clothing I'd suggest you have a look at this place instead of Veeky Forums:

askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/

>Believe it or not, if they fit you OK M&S suits are actually pretty good.
Not correct, this guy is correct. Their "wool rich wool blend" shit is horrendous and limp, you can tell just by the (nonexistent) weight that it's garbagecloth.

>"wool rich wool blend"
You're right, I should have qualified that. The upper end M&S suits are ok - no one should ever buy clothing described as 'wool rich.'

Suit supply is all good from what I've heard. Same level as TM Lewin give or take. But I don't own any of their suits so

This user gets it

There are a variety of tiers in suitsupply alone, tm lewin is just below suitsupply's entry tier, and suitsupply's highest is something i would love to own one day.

Are english cut suits a meme?