Why can't American men dress properly?

Why can't American men dress properly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1Q53vaSGrAE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'm actually pretty interested in running an anthropologic study of some type on this! personally, personally i think there's actually a cultural norm amongst (many) american men that you have to dress Not Good on purpose. basically the idea is that in american society, for whatever reason, caring about how you dress and look is a feminine attribute, and thus those who put effort into their appearance are not Normal Masculine Men, and must be some social outcast. obviously, men have to wear some type of clothing and there are dress codes they have to meet for work or whatever. also, though they probably wouldn't admit it, they do care about "looking good"--either to appear attractive to women or to gain prestige amongst their male peers. so though they actually do care about how they dress, they can't come across as if they actually care even a little bit. there's this deep anxiety about both wanting to look good and also not wanting to look like they want to look good.

the end result of all this is that they have wardrobes which don't work because every piece in it was bought during a shopping trip which "was a necessity" and "done because the wife made me" and so on, each piece with its own built in shutdown response in case the conversation turns to how an individual man looks like they care about how they dress.

i think that this also explains how popular the motif of the "man who looks good without trying" is in the american cultural mind.

of course, i will say that this is much more of a flyover america phenomena. coastal men, for whatever reason, tend to be more fashion forward.

Autism

Your question should be why cant american men eat properly. You cant be effay when youre fat

Because they don't spend all day on Veeky Forums looking to dress like a 15 year old trust fund babby who smokes cigs to look cool. Have a Happy Sagemas.

>You cant be effay when youre fat

Without americans the whole world wouldn't dress good

>Nazis watch out!

WHat, you like nazis ? You're as bad as those faggots

ignore the other guy

you should do some research and write a paper. Seriously. It's odd, niche, observations like this that add the most to human knowledge. If you can draw clear conclusions and share it with the world, it will do much good :)

I don't think your claim is supported by that small sample size.

>personally i think there's actually a cultural norm amongst (many) american men that you have to dress Not Good on purpose.
How are you going to substantiate this?

Blame it all on my roots. I showed up in boots. And I ruined your black tie affair.

I love being an American man. It's the only first world country with actual men living in it.

Interesting enough, needs more Goffman

>I just did my first college lab and now I think my baseless half baked hypotheses that I dreamed up out of literally nowhere hold water lul

Yu have some great points. I have to say mainstream American culture is really just ignorant to dressing nicely. I'll say I get complimented a lot on my clothing choices though

>It's the only first world country with actual men living in it.
Pahahahaha.

don't listen to the guys being negative. you have some good points and what you have said makes sense (it really does seem that way, though i've imagined it being more about not caring in general). maybe you could find more evidence and build this up some more, good luck man

It's because they have no history and culture, the fashion identity of a group is something that develops through the centuries.

Hurt feelings

Actually most people on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general are americans.

I'm sorry that you're ignorant to the war on masculinity that's being waged by the global liberal Jewish media conglomerates and their European cuck fashion designers.

The war on masculinity is an American thing.

nneeds more gouffran senpai

seriously kys. we need less neckbearded autists in this world. sorry you had mommy issues and are ugly, now you hate all woman

>look i used 'cuck' completely out of context and without meaning

You silly fat fuck.

more like why whole Americlaps dont wear dress properly..Like seriously why they are even on this fashion board? its like poor african people going to Veeky Forums board

keep telling yourself that

American men cared about the way they dressed right up until the late 50's. Men had sartorial role-models like Clark Gable before. It's a shame really, 1910 - 1950 was great for men, even fat men.

Because Americans are smart and realized fashion is just a meme. If you weren't born with great genetics it doesn't matter how you dress. If you're ugly and dress well, you appear to be compensating. If you're ugly and dress badly, you look exactly the way people perceive you by default (ugly.) Similarly an attractive person can dress in rags and still look good because they naturally look good. Clothes mean literally nothing, similar to hair and all other attempts to obfuscate what you are naturally born with, and anyone who insists otherwise is just trying to sell you something.

Guys, guys wake fuck up and spread this around
youtu.be/1Q53vaSGrAE

If I were you, I would look into "comfort clothing" as a whole.
The more you go back in time, the more clothing was tailored, often the materials were more scratchy and savage, embroidery was in favor for a very long period, things like boned corsets, codpieces etc etc.
It is only very recently that we have industrialized, which allowed clothes to be made on mass scale, and allowed the creation of manmade fibers, and of elastic.
Where as clothing in the past was a way to display your wealth and status, we now have access to things like cars, watches, yatchs, the latest icuckphone, as well as overall population wealth increase.
Perhaps in the future there will be some way to a general population fashion revival, having clothing more tailored, better quality fabrics but combining the aspects of the past with new tech so its actually comfy too.
I would say this is the underlying answer to your question, because remember, most women also dress like shit too, and not just americans but a lot of the world.

this looks like a purple man with a moustache and large chin with a weird afro haircut

I think its half this and half the fact that most americans have no idea how to live at all. Eat shitty food, live in shitty houses/places, go to their shitty jobs and come home and waych thr big bang theory, wear shitty clothes, vote for shiity orange people etc etc.

this guy gets it

all men are cute except for creepy old paedophiles and blacks

Wew, racist

>the war on masculinity
Yeah, that's the most important war going on right now.

sounds accurate, the amount of critics seems to prove you right

Humans are more diverse than "good-looking" or "ugly" which are also subjective traits. Even though you might think so, I'm not saying this just to feel better about myself. And why would you want to settle for mediocrity even if you weren't blessed in the genetic lottery? You may not be able to affect mainstream societal beauty standards, but why not do things that make you happy?

im the guy who wrote this. i was drunk, which i think comes across in how often i repeat words. also pretty poorly edited but whatever it's a Veeky Forums post.

i mean, i guess i can't really REALLy substantiate it, short of actually getting american men to confess that this is what they do.

wow can't believe I got EVISCERATED by a rando on Veeky Forums

yeah, i think this is changing amongst younger people. i talk about fashion with my friends, which is something i can't see any man from my dads generation who wasn't also interested in fashion doing.

do you realize how paranoid you sound? christ dude

yeah, i definitely think there's been a cultural shift. something about how clothing went from being "There is a uniform on how you have to dress to be a functioning/ respectable member of society" to "clothing is how you express yourself", combined with the whole culture wars thing resulted in the status quo.

this is also definitely a huge point, and honestly a pretty compelling counter hypothesis. if i understand correctly, you're saying that american men have always cared the same amount about how they dress, it's just that in the past the norms of dress were defined by the limited availability of suits (most men only owned a handful of suits through their adult lives), whereas now mass-market clothing means men have more clothing, but most of it fits poorly and looks bad

thanks everyone i'm gonna go get drunk again

>Anyone who insists otherwise is just trying to sell you something.
/thread
/board

What is with American corporate's wearing mismatched suits with conflicting bottoms and jackets?

Every time I meet with you niggas my eyes burn.