What brought you to Fashion ?

What brought you to Fashion ?
Which event in your life pin points the moment you started to wear distinctively, or has it always been there?

Other urls found in this thread:

usuallywhatimdressed.in/opinion/alternative-basic-wardrobe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

when i missclicked fit and realized i dressed like a retard slob

it started senior year of highschool when i started to care about how i looked but i didn't really invest in proper fitting clothes until junior year of college when i had decent income

before that i was trying to make it work with fast fashion now im trying to find better fitting and quality clothes. i know the exact style im trying to achieve and im more than satisfied with my current shoe rotation.

I never picked my own clothes growing up. My parents dressed my brother and I alike and treated us alike despite having a 2 year age gap. The more distinguishable I became as I aged, the more I sought to express myself. My mother worked in high end fashion retail when I was In high school, that really opened the doors for me to take interest. I also browsed Veeky Forums, so eventually my interest led me here to Veeky Forums.
This place is shit but back then warosu allowed me to sift through the gold.

I've always been into fashion since I was a kid, less the industry, more the aesthetic. I liked dressing cool and wearing sick garms from George and Tesco. Throughout secondary school I never skateboarded but I wanted to, so I'd spend years looking at skatecore clothes and skate gear, never having the courage to actually start that shit. I dressed like it sometimes and sometimes the fits were trash so kids at school used to laugh at me secretly, which really bothered me so since then I made sure I dressed in a way that got me compliments. My older sister had an actual interest in fashion and studied it through school till now so we bonded over the shared interest. Then a few years ago I decided to take up a career in Illustration and realized that everybody in my class drew Pokemon and children's books, so when I used my knowledge of fashion and aesthetics in my work it ended up looking more professional and mature than anyone elses

That's a nice story

I'm just here to laugh at all the autists tbqhwyl

i was shy and under appreciated in early highschool and strayed away from my peers aesthetically as a reaction and got alot of positive attention for it then never stopped caring about fashion

Secondary school non-uniform days where I realised that I should probably get some decent clothes if I was gonna judge everyone else, also some people at escuela were pretty good dressers

There was a good thread about this earlier, it turned out quite sad when every1 realized that that Veeky Forums is dead, and streetwear is killing it

I found a facebook page that posted a lot of Rick and Raf when I was 12 and I guess it's just escalated from there.

so your like 15 and favourite artist is asap rock then

No that was 7 years ago. I'm 19 now and I am still into Raf and Rick but I'm into a lot more designers now.

you found out about raf from asap rocky and you listen to asap rocky regularly. just admit it man

went to tokyo and realised that i dressed that i dressed like a piece of shit

I was wearing archival Raf when I was 13. I bet you were wearing Target $4 tees.

hahahahahhahaahahaaha

People were just leaving Myspace 7 years ago in 09.

Facebook was still in its infancy, they didn't even have Pages, Cover photos, and Timelines back then.

Soo..whats your favorite rocky track? lmao

I never cared about how I looked in Highschool, I just was the fat, ugly kid with no sense of fashion , that no one liked. And I behaved like that.
Yet, then came a Boy to school.
He was always super fashionable and looked really good. And just how it happened, he became my friend. Whit him even I found new friends that I never expected I would ever have.
Yet, when I went out whit them, I realize that i was the ugly one, with no sense of fashion what so ever.
So i've started doing sport, I've asked my friends to help me what to buy, what the no no's are.
I've started to care about I wear, i've started to care about how other people perceive me.
Later i've found my own sense of Fashion, went buying my own clothes.
All in All since then i've found a Love for fashion.

Pretty much just followed the standard path:

>get dumped by gf that I was way too into
>learn that I wasn't happy with myself and hence was relying on other people to be happy
>go to Veeky Forums and start a proper routine and diet instead of just fucking around at the gym.
>put on decent muscle mass and fill out my frame, actually get strong
>realise none of my old clothes fit me anymore
>realise I don't know how to buy clothes, decide to learn

Similarly to lifting, fashion has become an enjoyable hobby to me over time. Though it might not seem like it at times, Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums can improve your life a fair bit. I feel good man.

I just realized how shit I looked. I still do but I'm getting there

>loser harry potter 1 looking 12 year old
>found Veeky Forums when I was about 15
>peacoat, shitty raw jeans and shitty boots
>whatever still learning
>about 17, got contacts, start getting more into actual brands rather than looks
>meantime jaw got pretty gud, grew hair our into glorious mane (not greasy shit)
>now 20 and have a pretty nice array of garments
>got offered some small modelling gigs but couldn't due to uni

idk I was into supreme and then I just started googling shit

An older friend that I looked up to was Veeky Forums as fuck and I wanted to be him, but somewhere down road of dressing good I developed a serious interest in fashion and now it's all I think about.

hey, also from Veeky Forums. Any tips on Veeky Forums?

>Had no luck with girls up until age 15, never had a gf, kissless virgin, couldn't even talk to them
>It's 2005 so the emo thing is blowing up
>Because I felt sorry for myself I started doing said emo thing, dyed hair black, wore eyeliner, super slim trashed jeans etc.
>Girls find it hot as fuck, lost virginity within a couple of weeks, got first gf within a month

So I just went from there

>be me
>ugly ass shit
>try to dress better to compensate
>mfa core
>people make fun of me for overdressing
>continue to try to buy stuffs to looks better
>get into streetwear
>doesnt go out anymore
>buy whatever i feel looks good
>wear whatever i feel looks good
>don't care if people around me think im that kid with the oversized converse.

>don't care if people around me think im that kid with the oversized converse.

been very much into all sorts of design since i was a kid. vehicles, clothes, guns, machines, pretty much anything. trying to finish architecture uni course currently

my interest in fashion spiked when i started visiting Veeky Forums and when i got a job which allowed me to actually afford the things i liked

Cutest post in thread.

Did you fuck him eventually?

I hung out with the older, "cool" kids in school

I was like 12, and by far the youngest member of the group, the baby if you will

the girls would always compliment my fashion sense (they were 15/16), I loved playing around with clothes and colours, I had like 10 pairs of sneakers. The guys would sometimes ask for my opinion when buying clothes.

They started alcohol and drugs at 14/15 and I gradually started distancing myself from them. I felt like I wasn't accepted as much because I didn't want to smoke or do drugs. In hindsight I was just really insecure and they actually did like me, I just hated myself.

that was all before I became a clinically depressed shut-in. Some of it was just realising that I preferred my own company, too.

Sometimes I think about what would have happened if I had stayed with that group. They were cool people and the social elite in my town. I could have had access to any woman I wanted, pretty much. Oh well.

I focused on my studies and I'm on course to graduate into a 6 figure job at 23. Many of those guys and girls didn't go to college. I still think I could have balanced my life better and had the best of both worlds.

Tbh I'm just thankful for getting through my teenage years without killing myself.

Call them

I'm like 20 now bro, I haven't spoken to them in like 5 years, most of the people have gone their own way

Yeah so call them

Bought leather jacket once, find out what Streetwear was, shy away from Streetwear, end up here.

At some point before my senior year of highschool I realized I was an overweight disgusting slob with no style or tact. I started working out and eating healthy, as well as putting more effort into dressing better. It started with mall tier Ralph Lauren or J Crew stuff and then devolved into being APC, Marni, Norse Projects, Margiela, CPs, etc and it all feels incredibly disingenuous to myself.

No I don't know what I want to do because I'm so deep into the fashion hole that I have tens of thousands of dollars of clothes, watches, and shoes, yet I have grown to despise it all because it doesn't feel like who I want to be.

I started modeling and my agency told me to get my shit together

This is accurate for me too

Did they literally say that that sounds hilarious

It's time to be an external mirror of the dead world; I will have a new wardrobe.

It's purely "philosophical" for me. I would otherwise dress more conservatively.

Skateboarding really got me into fashion. I read a lot skateboarding magazines and guys like Ali Boulala, Arto Saari and Dustin Dollin influenced to my style. Years later i got into electronic music and hip hop, which change my life again.

i'm guessing it will also be euphoric

had too much money and decided to stop being a literal autist and look good while spending cash. Late Freshman year high school

probably the heritage/workwear meme
coincided with when I started to have a bit of disposable income and wasn't living with my parents anymore
started browsing blogs and bought boots/raws/chore coat etc

dropped off that bandwagon pretty quick but now it's escalated into a much more expensive hobby, artisanal and avant-garde designer shit

If you really dress the effay way without knowing it comes from something dead you're fucking retarded

Trends are from the dead

up until 8th grade i was a nerdy weird fuck
one day just take my brothers cardigan and wear it to school cuz i was cold
people tell me how i look good today
realize people like me if i dress well
start looking on the internet for retarded opinion on clothing
here i am

be 6ft4, im the first thing people see when they walk into the room
before i dressed liek a retard and upto 16 dressed by parents
good looking/quality clothes = comfort = relaxed = confidence

Being a creative type with an INFP personality, I was naturally drawn to self expression through the way I dress.

I used to dress like an autist (Edgy metal band shirts, old navy jeans that were way too big, long hair, fat) I finally gave up on self loathing and hating myself and lost almost all my fat. I stopped wearing edgy t shirts and hoodies and moved onto plain t shirts + jeans. It didnt last long because somewhere along the way I think I ended up here and got some inspo which summed up to oxford shirts, chinos/jeans, sweaters and an overcoat in an all black/white/gray color scheme. Eventually I started to become interested in stuff like rick owens/Julius so I started doing stuff like leaving my shirt untucked, tucking my pants into my bootsand other things to develop a better sillouhette. Soon after I almost dropped it entirely and dove heard first into military inspired fashion thanks to knoch and had a rotation of: German (Flectarn shirt, bundeswehr od pants, Doc martens, and a sumpfmuster cap). American inspired Woodland bdu pants, Jungle boots and a black t shirt. And a pre-terrorwave style jeans and dpm. That summer I picked up gardening and ended up putting on a bit of weight again, but started putting less effort into my outfits because I liked a sort of honest workwear aesthetic. It didnt last long because now Im losing that weight and lifting again. My new and probably final style has become a somewhat original aesthetic of either pure forest inspired all wool "I live in a log cabin alone" and a mix of civilized dick owens with color (Big clunky boots, slim drapey sillouhettes, and good materials).

>played video games all my life
>liked playing dressup when i was younger
>enjoyed games with a customization aspect
>figured out that i could play dress up outside of video games

Up until college (ukfag nor murifag) I just wore whatever my mum bought for me or just anything that seemed comfy, hating smart clothing, dress shoes, the whole category. I was wearing absolute garbage for all those years.

Stumbled upon Veeky Forums around my first year in uni, changed everything. Sparked up my interest in fashion, changed the way I thought about clothes, about how I dressed and how others dressed, got me psyched to see how cool clothes can actually be and how you can express yourself through them. How they can be both for wearing but also for artistic purposes (e.g. display/exhibition) pieces or w/e they're called. Slowly tried to find out how to start out, keeping in mind later 2015 was still the shit period of Veeky Forums and it's gotten even shitter now imo.

Still building my style and finding out what suits me, still trying to experiment but inspo, well put together outfits and just things aesthetic wise have definitely have a big place in my life now in terms of interest as well as fashion as a whole. Went to a designer exhibition solo (cos still a loser) and sparked up my interest even more.

Still slightly an autist, still need 2nd opinions from socially inept autists on a mongolian basket weaving forum and still indecisive, but it's fun nevertheless. I look forward to make enough money to save and buy the clothes that interest me and building up my style.

doubt anyone will read this but, yup.

That's pretty cool dude

1. If you are on a big bulk or cut don't drop tons of money on clothes until your body is stable

2. Your leg size will limit you a bit, don't get super skinny jeans because they will look weird (no stacks)

3. Don't try to cram into a size smaller to show off your gains

4. Figure out how you want to dress and make informed decisions, don't just go to the shops and buy a lot of stuff at once.

I could probably go on all day lol. Might come back and continue this after I have breakfast. I like this guide too for starting out, it addresses a lot of the pitfalls I experienced (especially the mfa dadcore bit)

usuallywhatimdressed.in/opinion/alternative-basic-wardrobe/

>Started sorta being interested in dressing better senior year of High School
>Presentable but nothing defining
>Join a Fraternity my freshman year of College
>They're all pretty well off and dress nicely
>Clean my act up, learn some elements from them while applying some of the inspo from Veeky Forums over the years
Present day

>fratboy
>dressing well
pick one

When my friend said i had a bad style. my arguement was that i might aswell buy 5 shirts for the price of 1 but it feels better having nicer clothes for a long time than having shit clothes for a short period

I was interested in lolita/harajuku fashion throughout middle school and high school so I browsed /cgl/ a lot, and dressed in a really ostentatious manner, buying tons of cutesy cheap stuff from Taobao. I didn't really pay attention to runway fashion until halfway through high school after Alexander McQueen died, because I thought everyone else besides Galliano for Dior was just doing boring wearable stuff up until then. One of my friends from university who I view as a mentor of sorts told me to look at Japanese fashion designers and predicted "one day you'll be wearing head-to-toe Japanese designers". I didn't really start buying such things until I got my first paid internship a few years ago. I dress way more demure now, though every time I see my friend he always yells at me that he was always right lol

I'm starting to look at japanese street fashion again though, the stylezeitgeist thing has become really boring.

was exploring music a ton between 10th and 11th grade

>raf simons rick owens usually what im dressed in

focus on music slowly shifted to fashion

after 5 or 6 years now im finally coming into my own style and am confident in my decisions

L O N D O N

kys weaboo fuck

It began with my decline in satisfaction with my life. I didn't know where I was going and it probably wouldn't end up going anywhere. I knew that It was time to change, it was at this time I worked to better myself physically to look better with fitness and fashion.

>tfw most of the people on this board still dress like complete ass

solid cultural segue

capped

says the subhuman cuck who is on anime forum

You basically lived in an anime.
Fuck, my highschool life was so boring.

>misspelling "weeaboo"
>not knowing what "weeaboo" means
>calling anyone out on liking anime/jap culture on Veeky Forums
k

I read it, user. It was nice.

I decided to stop lifting and focus on cardio to get more cut. I wasnt total shit at lifting either I hit like 190 bench, 275 squat, and 365 DL @ around 145.

Then I started focusing on getting obsessed and slowly becoming obsessed with getting thinner and thinner.

Started caring about fashion when I lost weight and realized I like wearing skinny jeans.

I accidentally clicked on Veeky Forums once and stayed

Moved to a european city from a 3rd world rural town mid highschool.
Realized clothes matter.

Are you me? Except I dumped that bitch for being too clingy (Still had feelings for her tho when I broke up with her tho)

I used to just wear flannel and skinny jeans but I met a girl in January that helped me dress better and it escalated from there. It's also why I started coming here.