/diy/

Do it yourself/ re-purposing general

why the fuck were they two threads last time edition

Anything about making your own clothes, customizing and/or tailoring goes here. Talk about your projects. Ask Questions. Share information. Help each other out.

PASTEBIN:
pastebin.com/hnXtzTk7
(if you think the pastebin lacks any information, just ask)

Last threads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZAj2j6g6I
instructables.com/id/DIY-Backpack-1/
instructables.com/id/a-folding-wood-coat-rack/
themerrythought.com/diy/diy-drying-rack/
sew4home.com/projects/storage-solutions/safari-duffle
designsponge.com/2010/10/diy-project-renskes-minimalist-tote-bag.html
apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-dye-textiles-with-coffee-tea-108438
practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/blackwalnutdye
instructables.com/id/Slim-Leather-Front-Pocket-Wallet/
instructables.com/member/wholman/instructables/
designsponge.com/2015/09/three-easy-ways-to-mend-fabric-inspired-by-japanese-fabric.html
web.archive.org/web/20140614123539/http://www.purlbee.com:80/the-purl-bee/2011/8/11/mollys-sketchbook-adjustable-unisex-apron.html
thecraftygentleman.net/2016/02/28/handmade-leather-denim-apron/
founditemclothing.com/how-to-age-t-shirts.html
thedailystreet.co.uk/2012/04/the-broken-teeth-buried-denim-project/
manmadediy.com/users/dan_e_t/posts/2617-the-diy-tailor-how-to-hem-jeans-like-a-pro#comment_6558
instructables.com/id/braided-leather-bracelet-DIY/
manmadediy.com/users/gabriel/posts/2626-how-to-make-your-own-shorts-from-a-pair-of-pants-no-sewing-required
cottonandcurls.com/2014/05/diy-oversized-tee-take-in/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

would this look dumb on a green parka?

you'll need a higher res pic to screenprint it, but otherwise no it doesn't look dumb, it just looks like text that no one has the time to read.

I was thinking of buying a shirt from the music label it's from with it printed on the back. Is a lot of text though...

If you wear it for yourself or because it looks good, go ahead, but if you're trying to get a point across, the higher limit is something like 8 words

yeh its cool, It would be cool to stand behind someone with something like this in some sort of busy, stationary environment. I might try something like it, thanks buddy

youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZAj2j6g6I

w2c similar design?

what happened to spacejew???

Could you miss the point any more?
I try to stay positive but fucking hell you crashed it m8

start embroidering dude

Just stopping by to say I really appreciate these threads, OP

Keep up the good work

how would you guys feel about a similar recreation of pic related? obvi not going to copy it verbatim but I have a pair of old black 511s with a huge hole on the right thigh and I think i'm going to go ahead and deconstruct them and patch back together in an interesting pattern.

im thinking im going to hit up the fabric store and cop some black/gray denim to achieve the aesthetic. my idea is like crust pants but nice and neat like a quilt.

are there any good guides to hemming necklines and sleeves?
I can't sew a t shirt neckline to save my life

what do you mean?

generally you wouldn't hem a t-shirt neck-line, you'd attach a collar to the raw edge instead.

hemming sleeves: fold the raw edge in twice, press the crease with an iron, pin in place. remove the base platform from your sewing machine so that you can sew in the round, and sew the hem in place. you'll notice that many t-shirts will have either a serge/overlock or two rows of straight stitches in order to secure the hem.

thats what i meant, i get my vocab mixed. like ribbing, right?

and thank you for that little guide im saving it

It is hopefully gonna be a huge backpack

hippy friend of mine did this, looks great when done well

Is this the skirt backpack?
Good luck m8

Yeah it's the skirt backpack
Thanks, I'll need luck

Yea that's cool

IMO it's only cool if you add repairs that are needed to keep the pants alive.

instructables.com/id/DIY-Backpack-1/

crusty/patched jeans should be made and not bought desu

I think this could be really awesome. Good luck

I'm excited for this. I've always wanted to make my own backpack but I was worried it was going to be a ton of work. Are you working off a tutorial/guide?

If you want everyone to know that you have autism then yeah

I'd really like to get into altering/creating my own clothes, but don't really know how to sew.
What are the best resources for learning how to sew the right way?

Also how realistic/smart would it be to try to taper my own pants eventually?

So my suede jacket was thrown in the wash by accident. It was washed and dried on delicate. It feels dried out, is there anything I can do to save it? Everything I find online is inconsistent about this.

tapering jeans is extremely easy especially if the jeans fit how you want in the thigh area. with a sewing machine and a straight edge you can taper a pair of pants in like 10 mins even as a beginner.

Finally done with the tshirts. I guess it's the fabric that causes the neckline to stand straight up.

I'm going to make a colorful sweater now.

Can sopeone add this to the pastebin? I have no idea how to do that

I don't have a guide, wich is why it may take a while

what fabric did you use? i've noticed stretch wovens give me that result unless the pattern is adjusted (which i havent figured out how to), but knits don't give me that awkward neckline

Stretch/jersey? It only gave me problems with the neckline and I 'solved' that by making that piece of the pattern shorter.

I lurk and participate in the threads. You could send a PM at pastebin, but you need a account for that.

How long did the shirt take to make?

Three, could have done it in one.

Nice Ts, do you have a tutorial/instruction for them?

Three..... Days? Hours?

Speaking of crust pants, what's the thought on jackets these days?

I'm starting my first one, not done with it but I have a decent start.

I'm sorry. It took three days. I can do it in one.

If you buy a pattern, instructions on how to do it are included. I can make a tutorial, I need to replace a blue tshirt anyway. A tshirt is a very simple project and I could make an interactive introduction to sewing.

That would be great. Maybe tutorial like in this post () would be just perfect.

lol

Found in the archive

Made from 2 jeans
Cut them apart about 2 inchs each section and sew them back together.

>tapering jeans is extremely easy especially

Really? What do you do about the new edges that not anymore faded? looks like denim chinos

most jeans have the fade at the seams. How do you taper and preserve this fade?

Without this fade, it look like shit.

sure, you can use a sand paper, but it just removes the fabric, not make it look faded.

If people want, I can keep going through sites like instructables as bring back basic DIYs like that.

Lack of fade on seem is not as noticeable as you would expect ime

What's the point of tapering jeans and why did you draw funny vaginas on those what am I supposed to see? M

Not that guy, but people who are trying to be Veeky Forums but are broke AF will often take their current stock of regular fit jeans and taper the legs so they're slimmer fit.

second-hand.

whoa I made a post about this exact thing about two years ago, so cool to see someone do it! Inspired by undercover?

Also I've got a few links to fashion/clothing related woodworking DIYs, if anyone wants those.

I'm interested.

instructables.com/id/a-folding-wood-coat-rack/

This website's coding got fucked up, but I've made a similar thing and it's useful if you live in an apartment with a balcony and want to air-dry your clothes in spring-thru-autumn

themerrythought.com/diy/diy-drying-rack/

pls do

i want to make jeans tighter at the waist only

taper on the inside of the leg or just fade them yourself, im sure theres instructions how to do that quickly somewhere

Also here's another bag DIY: sew4home.com/projects/storage-solutions/safari-duffle

And another: designsponge.com/2010/10/diy-project-renskes-minimalist-tote-bag.html

A bit late in the year for the black walnut one, but here's a couple of non-typical dying guides:

apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-dye-textiles-with-coffee-tea-108438

practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/blackwalnutdye

So a local thrift store has a bin of 70's-80's sewing patterns. Would those be a good place to start making DIY clothes or?

this is dope. Hit up a local facebook sewing group and ask for scraps, you'll get lots for free or cheap.

I wish I had a video of me walking in this skirt I made. The two slits show my legs when I do and I think it's pretty cool.

ignore the stupid snapchat, but I diy'd these from little boys sweats. I tapered them and added elastic ankle cuffs.

not old enough

It's actually useful if you haven't got skinny legs. I do a lot of squats so tapering in jeans that fit in the ass, crotch and thigh is essential for me.

I'm back, in case anyone missed me: instructables.com/id/Slim-Leather-Front-Pocket-Wallet/

Instead of individually linking to a bunch of this guy's instructables, I'll just link to his profile:

instructables.com/member/wholman/instructables/

swag

you should post it when you finish it, im interested

designsponge.com/2015/09/three-easy-ways-to-mend-fabric-inspired-by-japanese-fabric.html

how did you taper? like where on the inseam?

Has anyone here made pants from scratch? Would be cool to have your own pants that perfectly fit your proportions while being able to choose your own materials.

The difficulty depends on the pattern, I suppose that the difficulty is specified. What patterns do they have?

that's cool, I'll try it one day

web.archive.org/web/20140614123539/http://www.purlbee.com:80/the-purl-bee/2011/8/11/mollys-sketchbook-adjustable-unisex-apron.html

Another apron ft. a guy who looks like he'd be pretty annoying IRL.

thecraftygentleman.net/2016/02/28/handmade-leather-denim-apron/

Last one for a bit (I've got a couple of tshirt related ones I can post later.)

Here's a decent looking slipper pattern. 4chins thinks I'm trying to spam/scam with the link, so just google "WoolyBaby etsy"

working on another medium bodice block for my own brand
also working on a custom flannel for a friend, that is already at a 2nd fitting stage
waiting on a different friend to send me her measurements so i can begin working on a slip dress for her

They look lame if not taken extreme care to the fine details

1. I want to put several rectangles and a white circle on a blue sweater. How do I make sure that the edges of the rectangles look straight and the circle looks round?

2. I want to put a white plastic ring on that white circle. How do I attach it in such a way that it stays there after I wash it?

would look dumb on anything

I just want to stop by and say that I really appreciate these threads and whoever is making them. Along with the flecktarn parka threads, these seem to be reviving, or at least garnering, the creative spirit of Veeky Forums and encouraging others to grow into their own style. I believe that these threads are true inspiration for anyone looking to find their own style.

T-shirt ageing methods.

founditemclothing.com/how-to-age-t-shirts.html

I've seen somebody bury his jeans for some time under the ground.
thedailystreet.co.uk/2012/04/the-broken-teeth-buried-denim-project/

"How to hem your jeans like a pro"

manmadediy.com/users/dan_e_t/posts/2617-the-diy-tailor-how-to-hem-jeans-like-a-pro#comment_6558

The website also has some other nice DIY links, but it's a tossup between the stuff being MFA/"Art of Manliness" tier "18 year olds dressed like their grandads saying they're 9manly5u" stuff and actually useful/practical stuff.

I cut up a pair of cheap pleather pants. What should i use the material for?

Basic leatherworking projects.

Wallet (), bracelet (Pic+link related), etc.

instructables.com/id/braided-leather-bracelet-DIY/

manmadediy.com/users/gabriel/posts/2626-how-to-make-your-own-shorts-from-a-pair-of-pants-no-sewing-required

That hem looks hideous, fix it.

cottonandcurls.com/2014/05/diy-oversized-tee-take-in/

You would look like an edgelord and everyone would be repelled.

I did a sashiko repair on a pair of jeans a while back. I really like the way it looks.

how can i remove shitty coats of paint off hardwood floors, i plan on painting it dark brown but right now it looks like small globs of leftover paint and thin layers of paint from past homeowners

get the floors refinished you cuck