From FL to Seoul

Moving from Florida to Seoul in 10 days, and am fully unequipped for the cold af weather there.

I think the most I have is a couple hoodies. Any suggestions for winter clothes?

You joining a kpop group?

Oh im a dude btw

No, but I will marry Seulgi from RV

sweaters, scarves etc.

This is basic shit not much to say here.

Congrats on leaving florida tho. its not a very fa place.

You probably need a hoodie with her face printed on it or maybe a parka with pic related as a patch

So glad im leaving this place man, it can't come sooner.

Ill get some sweaters and scarves def, but as for jackets is there a certain level of padding that should be essential for freezing/snowing weather?

Was looking at and liking something like this maybe?

Is this Veeky Forums?

That seems a little too anime for me!

Second pattern tanker jacket. Get it surplus. Warmest shit I ever wore.

kys weaboo fuck

I'm making a similar move on january 9th -- Birmingham Alabama to Tokyo Japan.

I've been over a few times already, so here's my advice:

Buy a down jacket. Seriously. I picked LL Bean's hooded down jacket for $200 or so, but anything similar will work.

You need compact clothes -- no big winter boots, you'll piss people off on the train with your big American feet(I'm assuming you're a normal sized American and not asian or w/e)

T-shirts are generally bad in Korea and Japan. Make sure you have a solid array of button-ups. My personal wardrobe is daily:
Long underwear all over(long sleeve shirt+long johns)

nice trousers

simple black boots

button-up solid color shirt, cotton sweater(for washability -- soft wools may be good like cashmere)

My above-mentioned LL Bean down jacket on the outside when necessary.

Underclothes are SO IMPORTANT. Buy long underwear!!! I have a set of 5 top+bottom long underwear from Uniqlo. Go for silky over cotton for comfort.

I'll check back on this thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

>americans "moving" to a different country
wait, are we actually allowed to do this?
Like can i move to Kyoto or some shit?

Damn, didn't realize how unhappy a lot of people on Veeky Forums are. Jealously is a hell of a drug there m8. Does someone wish they could go to nipland but can't because they are uneducated shit for brains that instead sits in Starbucks all day with a MacBook?

Way to be petty there big guy/gal. sure showed him. got eem

What circumstances allow you guys to move to these countries

I'm the Japan person you quoted. I'm moving for academic reasons. I am in linguistics(masters degree from a good university, suspended my Ph.D program indefinitely for this job) and a department in Japan was looking for someone who speaks native English to work in their liberal arts department. Don't want to give any more specific details because it would be really easy to locate me if I revealed much more.

If you're a professional, especially in academics, there are a lot of opportunities to go to other countries.

can you speak Japanese though?

I took two semesters of it. So the answer is not really, but they want me anyway. I speak four languages so I'll presumably catch on fast.

Also, to elaborate, apparently Japan doesn't really train linguists, at least not like we do in America. They're presumably hiring me to "steal" my perspective. They have asked me to eventually be acceptable in Japanese, but I'm primarily going to do research and publish in English in conjunction with their lib arts and social sciences departments.

I was thinking of moving to Korea.

I've learnt the language but i've never been. What would it be like for a 6'2 white guy to live there?

your gonna love it

you could be a balding 5'4" neckbeard and would still have kpop tier girls all over you

Not really, only if you are rich. Not some loser English teacher that can't find a real job in the us

>hiring me to "steal" my perspective
What do you mean by perspective

I'm honestly so jealous. Hope you enjoy it, man. How did you go about finding that job? Did you just like apply for it? I doubt I'll ever go to university for anything because I'm stupid as hell so I'd never be able to do it, but it's really cool to hear about getting a job overseas (like something professional), that seems like it'd be a great life experience. I was thinking about just moving there but it'd be hard to do schooling there I imagine, so if I wanted something more than retail work I'd have to do school before I went.

this thread makes me feel worse for failing core classes for my major multiple times meaning that i need to switch majors

>tfw fell for the stem meme
>tfw prob have to do it again to unfuck my undergrad

I actually just moved from Orlando to Chicago a couple of months ago. Right now wool socks, long underwear, scarves, and neck gaiters are my salvation.
You probably already have some jackets that'll be suitable for the more average winter days with some layering, but you may need a nice insulated one for the real bitter days.

>tfw you are about to go to the only school that accepted you (they accept anyone lol) and you're taking general studies until you find something you like

>being this delusional

There's a LOT of foreigners in Korea, especially in Seoul, recently. It's acceptable as long as you can speak basic Korean.

>American south retards moving to cultured places thinking they will become less disgusting

tru

>seoul
>cultured

i want koreaboos to leave

if hanging out in walmart is more cultured i got news 5 u

shut up mcdonalds

>implying im an amerifat

>down jackets
Stopped reading there. One way trip to tismville.

ITT people RPing lives they wish they had. No one like this comes ln Veeky Forums protip

Sounds cool man, good luck user. Hoping to move countries myself at some point, got any tips for learning languages or motivation towards improving them? I'm essentially learning two, with one being better than the other and they'll bring Good job opportunities but damn there is no time to practice

i.e. what and how I have been taught about linguistics, something Japan simply does not have right now. Their language science is minimal.

Definitely don't go blind. You have the rest of your life. If you truly want to move, commit to a 8-10 year plan to get a degree and learn the language thoroughly.

I'm the Birmingham->Japan guy. Birmingham probably has more cultured people than your city. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>got any tips for learning languages or motivation towards improving them?

Work hard. Every day. For motivation, remember that through the temporary(1-2 year) pain you will gain a life time of having a second or third language as long as you continue to use it. Find meaningful ways to practice. Practice even when it seems like you don't need to. Consider how well you know English,and shoot for knowing more about your academic languages. English will always be your best from gut-recall, so you must practice your other language(s) beyond your capabilities in English.

I usually grind daily on whatever the best books are supposed to be, use some matching/recall software(I've used different ones for each language and it's all basically the same), and eventually my final step is to change all of my devices to the language. Having to recall words to navigate the internet is awesome practice for me.