Studying history

Help Veeky Forums

I'm currently 4th grade of high school, 18 years old, and I'm thinking about studying history since it was my favorite subject, but I've heard from my ex history teacher that it's hard to find a job with a history diploma, and that it doesn't pay much. I'm also thinking about studying psychology.

Is it worth to study history, and how hard is it to find a job as a historian or a history proffesor?

The Dutch prime minister studied history and worked in a company before his career in politics.

Anyone else willing to help?

Psychology is a joke; at least it was in my experience.
I'm dropping out of psych after a semester of white shaming and feminist propaganda.

Well that's retarded, hopefully it isn't like that here in Croatia.

For your sake, I hope so. Good luck.

Please don't study history as your first degree. Try to study something else that can grant you a job and then study it.

If you're gonna ignore this sensible advice, please choose archeology instead of history. It's easier for the archeology to usurp what belong to the historian and this is gonna prove very useful when you're fighting like animals for a job or publication.

t. Person who studied history

I'm a history major who made the decision based mainly on the same foundation as you.

So far I've been lucky and managed to find jobs relevant to my field, but I think that luck is running out. I would recommend majoring in something more employable and minoring in history.

That said - History majors are actually pretty good candidates for law school. If you plan on doing postgrad you could major in history and take a few laws classes, then move on to law school. I've heard law schools actually prefer non law majors.

Listen to this user.

Study programming and computer science. They will be last to go (before CEOs and other self-justifying oligarchical masters nobody has a chance of being) as automation eats up jobs.

These fields are great because they are being applied without mercy to other fields. You can find out how programming and computer science will aid the study of history/archeology, etc. and make that your niche. You will make mad money while getting to study things you love.

I was thinking about studying russian or geography with history to increase my chance of finding a job. I've heard that here in Croatia there's a lot of russians and they want everything on their language, so there's a lot of work in translation.

I'll think about it, thanks.

Tbh, I don't really like computer science or programming, but I know that they're very profitable. Will think about it, I guess I can try to force myself to study programming or computer science, since it's very profitable and an instant job.

Russian and international relations or russian and tourism or russian and translation would be more solid options (or the equivalents in your country, I don't know how it works).

Don't get me wrong, you will actually learn a lot of history and maybe discover you have a passion for periods and places you didn't even know. But you will not need any of this to get a job, maybe not even for a job related to history since in a lot of countries basic knowledge in pop history and good contacts are enough for divulgative work.

Once you have a job and more or less a direction in life, you can study history. You will still be young and, if you feel able to do two degrees at the same time, you're also probably talented. Working and studying shouldn't be worst than studying two degrees if you're worried by that.

Is this how anglo-saxon education works? I knew it was a bit different but I literally didn't understand shit.

In my country you study (for example) history and that's it, four fucking years of that and you can't choose most of the classes. You want to do something else? You pay for another degree and study four years too. They will recognize some of what you did on the other degree... maybe. Probably not a lot if it's something different like history and law.

I get what you're saying, I'll think about it. I still have my whole ahead of me, thanks for your help.

Im studying Geography+History, a double degree, hopefully I get more job options with geography, but I dont think about it too much to be honest.

I've also heard that with a history degree there's a large field of jobs in which you can get. Like journalism, etc.

A lot of people seem to think that "cuz I study history, I have to do history". The skills you are learning can be used for other jobs too, just not all

How wide is the usage of the knowledge tha I can aquire in uni? And how much does it depend on me?

If you're in the Netherlands and study History at for example Leiden, then you can easily land a government job.

I'm in Croatia.

Law school requires you to pass a test to get in, that's it to my understanding. You can go into it with any education.

Taking law in university is basically "pre-law", it's prep school for law school, and apparently not actually very effective.

And by any education I mean a uni education, any bachelors works I'm pretty sure.