Yikes

Yikes...

Other urls found in this thread:

money.cnn.com/2016/02/25/news/companies/sears-kmart-ceo-unfair-criticize/
salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Blue light special on their real estate!

How long til its finally dead? I have a friend that works here, makes good money for an hourly retail employee. He tells me with commission its around 20 an hour. Obviously Sears can't sustain this.

What happened to sears anyway?
Was it just bad management, or is this down to macro?

Stayed in the 80s and refused to branch online with Amazon, others in the 90s/00s. Their marketing and brands are stale.

The hedge fund guy who runs it should step away - he may be good at hedge funds, but he clearly sucks at managing retail.

Same reason why Blockbuster failed. Had multiple opportunities to succeed but kept acting big because they felt they were in no danger.

He's fine, he set up the contract so he's first money out.

>What happened to sears anyway?

Got bought out by Kmart and instead of having Sears quality, they had Kmart quality along with some of the worst management known to retail.

Nobody goes to malls anymore. If they do it's just to hang out and buy luxury items, not going to fucking Sears. The Sears name is so damaged that even poor people are ashamed to be seen there or mention they shop there.

Their stores never have what you need, service is horrible, and upper management keeps poaching all of their brands and spinning anything of value off as an independent company.

For example Morgan Stanley and Discover were both Sears assets that eventually got spun off. There's a bunch of other stuff too.

I used to work there, they pay you $2 for every credit card you get someone to apply for and it's really high interest. They probably make a lot off of that. And the only sections that get commissions other than that are electronics and appliances. And you're friends probably exaggerating. $20 is what you might make if you're in a busy section of the store on a weekend not every hour

He's lying. Worked there for ages. If he's not in applicances or TVs, he's making $9.50-10.50, tops.

>The hedge fund guy who runs it should step away - he may be good at hedge funds, but he clearly sucks at managing retail.

You're a sheep, he's obviously just spinning off the successful brands, and loading the lifeboats as the Titanic goes down in slow motion.

money.cnn.com/2016/02/25/news/companies/sears-kmart-ceo-unfair-criticize/

Not sure if serious.

> "even the largest and most successful retailers, like Walmart (WMT), are shuttering stores all over the world."

Yes Walmart didn't open up a shit ton of "Neighborhood Walmart" anywhere. In-fact I even heard Walmart didn't even bother upping their employee's wages or even re-designing some super Walmarts across the country.

> Nordstrom (JWN)

Not a upscale fashion retailer that only targets a select group of people.

> Macy's (M)

They're market is middle class to upper middle class, which is shrinking already. Kek.

> Staples (SPLS)

Been out of business since Amazon. Will follow same suit as Radioshack.

> inb4 selling cellphones

> Whole Foods (WFM)

Focused on organic products/foods that are free of artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, sweeteners, and hydrogenated fats.

Common Trait: Besides Walmart, all of them target only a select group of people. Not even sure why he decided to mention Walmart. Come on now.

> while companies such as Tesla (TSLA) benefit from government subsidies

Trying to compare an automotive company to a retail business. Da fck?

> Amazon can sell items without charging sales tax.

Walmart does the same thing. Point is where?

Clearly upset that he missed the train of the 90s, now he's blaming everyone else for his stupidity.

Classic.

I've designed products for Sears/Craftsman.

Their team is fucking retarded. I hope they go under.

>what happened to Sears?
have you ever been in a Sears? Every one I've been in has been a wreck for at least the last decade.

>Impossible to find anything
>Zero employees outside the 15 sales people in the kitchen appliance area
>Auto service double the price of Wally World and still didnt align my truck right
>More toys strewn across the floor than tiles
>Misplaced items like toaster ovens randomly shelved by the table games, making it impossible to find anything
>"Can I get help finding this socket?" ... "Yes, sir. Let me call Jerry from kitchen appliance sales to help you..."
>1 cashier per 3 registers, 1 register per 3 departments
>10 year old video games priced at $69.99
>"I'm here to buy tires." ... "Yes, sir. That will be Costco's price times 2.5"
>the only employees in the store are on commission, making it impossible to find anything THAT ISNT A FUCKING KITCHEN APPLIANCE

It's so JUST it's like Brendan owns the fucking place

>If he's not in applicances or TVs
well since it's commission, he's almost definitely working there or hardware so I don't know what your point is.

This is it in a nutshell. Hedge fund retard slowly gutting the company.

This pretty much describes K-Mart as well, most Dollar stores or Goodwill stores are tidier and better organized than KMarts.

Last time I went in one (several years ago) I discovered that they no longer cared about selling tools and decided instead to sell nothing but clothes and kitchen garbage. Tools were relegated to a tiny lifeboat sized raft of nothing but kits.

They had such a good brand built and they just decided on a whim to throw it in the trash.

i have an old sears bowie knife my dad bought at a garage sale for $10. the quality is insane even after some 40 years its held up near perfectly. its sad

>What happened to sears anyway?
Libertarianisim happened.
salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

>Morgan Stanley
>belong to sears, ever
Prove it

> Amazon can sell items without charging sales tax.
>Walmart does the same thing. Point is where?

Funnily enough you can buy stuff online from Sears/K-Mart as well and not pay sales tax that way too. However, you will also pay about x3 the price of any other online retailer because fuck you.

Used to work in the TV section for 4 years, good money with the commissions for a college student but they've been losing a ton of traffic so it was keep it and make jack shit or take what you make on average as hourly pay. (Maxed it at 13.50 in central California) Basically everyone above store manager level is a complete asshole that's following orders from even higher up. It's all about micromanaging every miniscule metric possible and ignoring what customers want.

I'd say the pricing, marketing and location development of Walmart and Home Depot absolutely raped Sears.

Those 2 companies were the one two punch.

Cont.
From what I hear of the executive side Lampert is a Howard Hughes esque recluse that hires executives that follow his orders unquestioningly or are fired. Financially he's milking every lost drop out of it with his latest being Seritage a REIT that is absorbing and will eventually sell off or rent the Sears locations.