Why cats was sacred? I understand how cow can be important, but cats are useless creatures

Why cats was sacred? I understand how cow can be important, but cats are useless creatures.

Because of Toxoplasma Gondii

>be agricultural society
>90% of the wealth your society generates takes the form of grains in storehouses
>rats and mice want your grain
>cats kill them

Beat me to it.

Cats keep away rodents and other small creatures which can destroy grain reserves, spread disease, and ruin homes. So they aren't useless, especially in antiquity. They're mysterious wandering nature and independence also probably gave people the idea they were gods or spirits. How many other seemingly wild animals spend time helping humans with rats and cuddling?

>Sacredness is contingent on utility.

Let me guess, you think that the mind is "in the brain" too, or that the mind, and the brain are equivalent. Is that right?

All that, and cats, unlike cows, clearly think they are gods.

Cows have just achieved some sorta zen state.

Though there's this bunny in my neighborhood that refuses to move out of the way of my car every night, that I'm beginning to wonder about.

There's a temple of rats in India. People will worship anything.

I fail to see how the two are related. The mind IS the brain. Otherwise how do you explain people with severe brain injuries coming out of it completely different? Different moods, tastes, personalities. I just don't see how that is connected to cats, because cats DID serve a practical purpose as well as being revered.

>The mind IS the brain.

Haha, I knew it.

To say that mind is the brain is like say that gravity is the mass. They deeply connected but aren't the same.

Then how can your personality completely change when the brain is damaged? How do you become a totally different person if they aren't one and the same? If your mind was immutable then even people with severe brain damage wouldn't show such changes in behavior. The brain is simply the body of your mind. It's still one being and not two separate things.

>Then how can your personality completely change when the brain is damaged?

The same way an operating system cannot function if the computer is broken, moron.

But the computer isn't broken, asshole. I'm not talking about people becoming vegetables, I'm talking about strokes which change what music you like, what kind of clothes you wear, and even how you experience things in the world and interpret them. It's not a broken operating system its totally new one. If mind and brain were different then these changes wouldn't happen. It's not the same as being broken when you're just different

You are mentally impaired, which is what precludes you from comprehending basic ontological questions.

Your mental impairment is what makes you materialistic, utilitarian, and empiricistic.

Good non-argument. Obviously your mental impairment precludes you from engaging in discussion or actually referencing my points. You have no points, only a high horse to laud yourself on.

because they eat mice and mice eat grains... so early on, humanity needed cats to protect their food

> people can't walk if you broke their legs
> legs must be walking
Mind is dependent on a brain but it isn't the brain

1. It's not argument; it's a statement.

2. Argument is futile when the other party is irredeemable, or inherently corrupt.

There's that high horse again. Does it hurt your neck looking down on everyone else? At this point I hardly even see a difference. What's the point of being separate if one is merely a parasite on the other? How could a mind be completely altered if it isn't just the brain? What purpose is them being separate if one is completely dependent one the other, to the point where the very makeup of one can change or be replaced?

Lol. The people during the black death said the same thing.

Not that rats had anything to do with them dying.

Oh, I'll pick up where he left off then, since you obviously have no argument to make.

I'll start simple - If the body and brain do not make up the mind, then where is the mind? If every aspect of your experience can be altered or extinguished through alteration of the body, where does the separation of mind and body occur?

Or are you one of those who believe in a soul with no evidence for it, simply to avoid the conclusion that your consciousness will cease to exist when your mind and body cease to function? Or believes that the mind somehow transcends physicality by existing homogeneously across time in the form of a united identity?

Do you have a single original thought on the subject, or do you merely believe what you are told?

Well, without the brain, there is no mind. So I don't know what your point is.

>without the brain, there is no mind

Not really.

So if I remove your brain and burn it to ash, will you still have a mind?

see:

Mind is a property more than object.

Does your sense of mental superiority over all the plebeians help you sleep at night? It must be nice never having to question your beliefs or challenge your preconceptions.

It tends to be a property removed from an object, once the body is killed.

"If you can't explain a concept to the layman, then you don't understand it yourself."

Eh. None of you answered the question...

Do you still have a mind if you remove it from the body and burn it to ashes?

Bonus question. If it does, can you prove it?

When your body is killed, your mind mostly cease to exist too, if you exclude an insane speculations.

Why do you assume that I can't explain it?

see:

>2. Argument is futile when the other party is irredeemable, or inherently corrupt.

>Do you still have a mind if you remove it from the body and burn it to ashes?

The mind is a function of the soul, not of the body, so yes.

Enjoy your rats

I'm not even arguing against you, but You haven't even attempted to.

I suspect a soul of one sort or another is going to be involved though...

Well can you prove it?

It can be assumed you don't understand it because you won't explain it. You just make wide reaching assumptions about the character of people on a mandarin quilt sewing board.

...and there we go...

So, philosophical zombie time, if every reaction and perception you can demonstrate and report has some physical source, how does one tell the difference between someone with and without a soul?

...and if one cannot, why assume it exists?

Yes, but how is that relevant? One can prove anything via dialectic. The better question is "Is it true?"

Bonus question, does the Bible or other holy book explain the mind body problem?.

Also can you explain why if you have a soul that is eternally aware, why people have no awareness during anesthesia?

Either play the game and back your ideas with logical debate and/or sources, or quit posting on Veeky Forums.

>when a thread about cats turns into an epistemological shitstorm

The mind being a product of the brain doesn't make the mind and the brain the same thing. The computer example is succinct in this.
Windows 10 is not your desktop PC with all its wires and shit. Your mind is the software.
For the software to function it needs the hardware. Your brain is the hardware.

You could say both are "your computer" but to say there's no distinction between your physical PC and your operating system is a little silly.

>philosophical zombie time

That's ludicrous coming from a materialistic empiricist. Philosophy is not for you.

Well, the Tripitaka and Mahayana Sutras certainly touch on the subject, among others, but most that touch on the subject at all do so indirectly and in the form of mental exercise or parable... In some cases, because boils down to unknowable and unprovable belief, but in others because it touches on the inexpressible and preverbal.

>The old human brain=computer meme
This is so untrue to how the brain works. There is no difference between software and hardware in the brain. They are same thing. Computers don't work at all like a brain.

Yeah, but if I melt my computer to slag, it's mind doesn't keep going on elsewhere.

Unless... I uploaded all the data to another computer first! BRILLIANT! (wait...)

Yeah, but without the hardware, the mind is not functional so I don't know what your point is.

Its impossible to have a personality without the brain itself. I mean if brain damage does cause personality change, how would the mind possible function without any of it?

Less ad hominem, more defending the point you clearly don't have the slightest grasp of, please.

Eh. Maybe I should have specified western religion. Eastern actually addresses the problem.

It's an abstraction, and there are enough similarities to make the point.

This is irrelevant. If you put your dick in a box and blow the box up you'll lose your dick too.

What about those who have had their corpus callosum severed and develop a "phantom personality" which has its own motivations and can control one half of the body? If you cut a PC in two it doesn't split the operating system, and it certainly wouldn't become an IOS suddenly.
How can this possible if the mind is a separate entity?

It wouldn't, that still doesn't mean they're the exact same thing. Part of this is just a language problem, mind and brain describe similar but different things.

Then you're kinda SOL until you get into the new age stuff, or really read deeply into certain parables, likely with the new age or eastern view in mind. (Though there's nothing saying that's wrong...)

Some of the more esoteric stuff does touch on it - especially among the Jews, but in a rather oddly systematic way.

> Your brain is the hardware.
Despite of popularity of brain is literally computer analogy this is probably false way to look on how things works. If it was true, we would invented AI we would invented AI years ago.

Ghost dick! If you lose your penis in this world, will it be waiting for you in heaven?

As I said to the other user, it's an abstraction. The brain and a PC aren't identical in every way. The mind is the product of the brain, but is not "the brain", in fact your consciousness is just one of the brain's many functions, many of which you're not even aware of which can even function at cross purposes. It's created by your brain and can't exist without it, it isn't the same thing as your brain.

>people who believe in literal magic trying to act intellectually superior

Your mind is what sacred cats spend their time trying to catch when they swipe at the ephemerial air.

Wow thanks for the well thought out clear answer user. Honestly this thread got out of control I was just asking a question to an outlandish statement. In fact, you have given me more information to investigate the topic further.

So lets just post cats since my derailing question was at least answered
pic related my cat

In their defense, the Hindu's find nearly all life sacred, and have a temple to every other critter. (Snakes, birds, whatever the plural for mongoose is...)

Gotta draw the line somewhere though, or you have to worry about those billions of bacteria you are slaughtering with every breath.

Did you lose your cat? Cuz I think I found it a few days ago.

If you're interested, I recommend pic related for reading material. Quite accessible, and it's a fascinating investigation into the way our brain works, usually in ways that aren't actually very productive for our conscious mind.

The Robot's Rebellion by Keith Stanovich also discusses it in detail, though I found it was a lot more difficult to get through. Lots of jargon.

Both still go into detail about many functions of our brain that oftentimes completely ignore the conscious "you" and challenges how in control you actually are.

>was
ESL fuck off.

Wow thanks for not being such a cunt about the question. I'll definitely pick this up

No worries, debates can get a little heated here but I like to think at the end of the day we're mostly all hear to learn cool new shit. Cognitive science is really neat stuff.

How is NOT?

The way I see it, the brain is the physical mass of flesh and tissue and nerve endings housed inside the skull, and the mind is the result of the synapses and chemicals firing off within. The brain is definitely responsible for the mind and has control over its function, but they're still two different things. A freshly dead corpse has a brain, but does it have a mind?

>A freshly dead corpse has a brain, but does it have a mind?

It has much of which makes up a brain, but lacks other parts such as electrical activity, so you could say it doesn't have a complete brain.

I disagree with your conclusion that the brain is incomplete, but I think that's because I still consider the brain and mind to be separate. Instead of an incomplete brain, I would say it has a nonfunctioning brain.

A better metaphor I just thought of that explains how I feel re: brain and mind is that the mind is like fire: an ethereal 'entity,' with the illusion of form, but really just a series of rapid chemical reactions.

Yea I'd pretty much agree with that.

Here's a thing.

Picture an apple, it's red and shiny. Where is the apple? Where in space is the apple? Its clearly not a real apple, but it does exist, you are picturing it. So what is that apple?

Veeky Forums here, you are all fucking retarded and this board should just merge with /x/.

yo whats the imagination made of?

>Why cats was

Teach us, Veeky Forums.

cats hunted and killed rats and mice around royal grannies

you do the math, Einstein

Cats are the only animal on earth that truly chose to be with humans and not the other way around

My cat Moe attacked a standard poodle that had me cornered against my barn. He was fearless protecting me. Love my cat. He's a Main Coon cat.

Cats are freaky. Some cultures worship them, some kill them outright as a celebration/ritual. Your little Mittens may be pretty fucking useless right now, but he once hunted and killed majestically. Haven't you seen the way cats hunt? It's pretty fucking cool.

>mfw some extreme Jainists literally walkaround with mouth gags so they don't accidentally swallow insects and watch every step they take so they don't crush anything

kek

> truly chose to be with humans
Most parasites fall into that category. Tapeworms even have more close relationships with masters.

dat wiggle

is used for very similar purposes to a boxer's bob and weave

Name ONE
JUST ONE
HITOTSU
SINGULAR
UNO
ICHI
YI

Animal that should be worshipped more than the cat. I'll be waiting for an apology.

The Human

Perception is a series of chemical reactions just like literally every other biological phenomenon that has ever been recorded.
Git gud Armchair Aristotle

Tapeworms are not on the same level of cats. Cats are hunting, solidarity animals. You just don't like cats because you've never knew how to care and live with one.

my cat is pretty cool

>cats, unlike cows, clearly think they are gods
This. They appear to have a soul unlike a crodocile or a snake does, but they also act so damn cocky and regal. Thus they seem divine in a sense.

>yfw El Ahrairah wants to steal your car

Elaborate pls

>solidarity
You mean solitary?