Career Advice

ITT: Job advice.

Currently a Finance Contractor for a car dealer. BA in International Business. 24 years old with 2 years of experience. I've been considering looking into another job market for some obvious reasons. However, as a finance contractor I earn 6-10K+ monthly. (10+ being a fat month, 6 being bad-average)

Any suggestions of markets or career fields worth looking into?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm curious, and I've considered this for a quite a while.

You probably have enough experience that you can step up into a higher paying role in a less sleazy industry. Go out and interview with some companies. See if you get any offers. The worst that can happen is you don't get offered a new job.

How'd you land that? I'm interested in your current job with the same degree.

Actually went through management training with a fortune 500 that owns and runs car dealerships. Many similar companies: Group 1 Auto, Autonation, Sonic, etc. There are plenty that compete with each other. Most of them have some sort of management training program considering a contractor is still a "manager." That is mainly due to there only being two levels in most finance offices (contractors, and then their director.)

This is what I am looking to do, and you it the nail on the head. I couldn't and 99% of the time wont discuss the true smoke and mirrors. Some people accuse finance contractors of having no heart, but we can't if we want to make real money. Any suggestion on which industries?

Would you consider being a Finance Contractor a good career field? I would like input from someone in the field.

I can recommend it as long as I disclose the somewhat discouraging aspects. The car business has a high turnover as is, and contractors are just as much of a revolving door. I've seen guys blow out because they couldn't perform, couldnt stand some of the techniques, or couldnt work alongside other contractors. That being said, if you can do well you'll love the money most likely. Its always a grind, and you have to be hungry for it 24/7. We have a reputation for being dishonest, but I don't lie. However, it doesn't mean i don't have methods of not lying in order to get the job done. 75% of my techniques are things customers couldn't understand even if I tried to explain. It can be great, exciting, and lucrative, but as with most things like that...it comes with the price of working a lot, dealing with what I mentioned, and just the stress on occasion.

And this can also be affected by who you work with. Coworkers can be the reason for working in hell or heaven. Some of us younger guys still party it up and have a great time. Im friends with a manager at a nightclub we'll go pull stupid tabs at, and some guys like strippers, etc. Most of us in our line of work have some vices since we are still young. I like my alcohol too much to be honest. Booze and ass. I just wouldn't mind having a more widely respected and highly paid career. That's what I'm currently aiming to make happen.

Hey thanks for the info I get where your coming from.
Good thing is you put in the time and now have some experience in the industry. I still have two more years before I get my BA and from what I've gathered as far as finance goes thats the key to better positions.

I completely agree with that. Any time man. Experience is the most vastly demanded and under-supplied asset lol. It kills me seeing jobs I am capable of that ask for 10+ years of experience. Sometimes I wonder if I'm a dick or the truth is that age shouldn't curb my income or potential. I have aspirations that are hindered by my age sometimes, and some of us are just trying to do what we need to in order to get ahead of that. I still get advice from the less successful older folks, and that always blows my mind. Lol.

23 years old, currently studying Information Systems. Interested in becoming a business analyst, systems analyst or database administrator although I just want to know what's the best I can aim for with my degree. I have a previous degree and I work in an unrelated field.

Same. I'll graduate in August at 20 and everybody wants experience...

Ive been lucky enough to have been granted some crazy opportunities recently. I was stuck working shitty jobs after traveling, taking a break from university.

I am enrolled to start finishing my degree this September, but have to make some decisions about passing some opportunities up to finish a degree.

I am moving for the summer to be able to intern full time at the office of an official. I am currently in Europe with said official attending some meetings. Now the opportunity has arisen that I could get a 6 month paid internship out here. O could possibly stay longer at the summer internship if i wished, and have the possibility of interning at the office of another official in the same city.

I have basically been promised a career with this, and have been told time and time again to be patient and weigh the pros/con's of the opportunities that arise. But to go for shit. I've always been full of self doubt and am working on that front, but its still really hard for.me to make decisions that can affect my future like this.

I really wish I didn't take the break the travel as I would have my degree by now. Maybe I can finish my degree online through the school I'm registered in and still take full advantage of these internship opportunities. Any advice would be great.

how do you counter the arguments saying its a meme degree where you end up being between computer science and accounting and job markets prefer people majoring in one of them

im considering taking information systems as a major

My current feeling are to keep the degree on the back burner and fully go for these opportunities.

Anyone can get a degree, very few people can do the things that are available to me. If connections and resume building rule over time at a single position than taking this shit would probably be my best bet. I have just always been told that I need a degree, the person I am interning for currently agrees with this, but that what the degree is in doesn't really.matter.

I just feel like putting the degree off for a longer time might hinder me, but these opportunities I can't really pass up. Even though I don't want to move to euro city for six months I should probably suck it up and do it, as it would prove to the people I'm working with that I'm not fucking around.

I just turned 23 and having to make decisions like this is still super daunting to me, I was pretty sheltered as a kid. Degree would be in communications (lol) so its a throwaway degree anyways.

You should slow down and do more internships, even if you are smart enough to graduate so quickly, you are missing out on those extra 2 years of networking.

>International Business

Did you go to FIU

I quit college a year ago, I tried several things but never find the right field id be interested in. I worked a few jobs who were really shitty and then moved away to go live with my gf. Landed a job here which is nice but still not what I really wanted to do. On top of that it is a really exhausting job and I have tumbled in a depression. My gf is getting nuts because I cant get things done, my appetite for sex is practically gone. I can't save up because costs are so high in this country and my wage aint that much either. How can I find the time to find something I really like doing? I feel like I'm stuck and cant progress. I have been playing with stocks for a few years on a demo account and I actually perform quite well. The problem is that I cant put in real money simply because I dont have any to spare.

Please some advice, I'm really holding on a thin line, and I don't know how long I can keep this up.

Bro... is that you??
>FL

I've never heard this argument before, but it sounds pretty fucking silly to me given that computer science, accounting and information systems are all different disciplines.

I'm currently 19 and work as a department manager at a supermarket. I make $1600 a fortnight with an annual bonus of about $3k but I wish to get a better job in a management position somewhere else. My target wage is $2900 a fortnight. I don't want to study for it. My pay will increase as I get older to about $1800 when I'm 21 but that's nowhere near $2900

So my situation is opposite to many here, I have a job which I enjoy and I earn a decent living (though there is always room for improvement).
I'm a software test analyst for a small company which is contracted by a FTSE250 company - this contract has been running for over 15 years and recently we have acquired a 2nd contract for a new project so I don't see issues there for the short-term.
I've been working here for 3 years now, but I have no qualifications in this field, I fear that if my work here ended I would struggle to find work in a simlar field.
I want to study in my spare time for some related IT qualifications but I have no idea where to start or what to do.

>how do you counter the arguments saying its a meme degree

why are you arguing with trolls on a pedophilic cartoon image board about your education

I'm the ISfag he was talking to.

The reason (as unpleasant as it is to acknowledge) is that trolls on boards like this sometimes give better advice than career advisors, teachers or parents. My career advisor and teachers told me I should study a bachelor of arts. Not kidding.

okay but there's no need to argue. if someone's being confrontational and insulting their intention is probably not to give you good life advice

I'm doing a BBA in Business Admin in a shitty polytech. However, I've an opportunity to go to a good grande ecole later in my studies and get my degree from there, or get one from the former Berlin School of Economics.
Which should I pick?

72-100K a year. live like you're on min wage and retire in your 30s.

What's your wage? At some point stress will price out jobs. If you're having relationship problems and no energy at home, very few jobs are worth that (think Wall Street wringers with 150k a year and 100 hour weeks that suck you dry over 2 years) and even those jobs are usually meant as temporary experience until you get a real career later. Nobody is expected to do a job that burns them out past their late 20s at the latest.

If you're making 50k as a sysadmin or something, there are better ways to go. I promise. Think about quitting your job or asking for less hours, maybe if you can handle longer workdays and getting Fridays off so it means you've got your energy back by Saturday/Sunday. Your gf would appreciate that.

Stay fuerte

Nowhere else on Veeky Forums will anons appeal to reason and ask each other to calm down

How does one become a finance contractor?

You're a fucking weak loser

Enjoy your pathetic mediocre existence