Is college worth it?

Is college worth it?

Are we between 1980-2000?

if you study something useful, study hard, attend class, do internships and network, yes, absolutely

if you study humanities, don't leave your room, and scrape by on grades, no.

You just need to have a solid plan of what to do after you get out. Don't go just to kill a few years or to find yourself.

Depends. A college degree is a perquisite for almost any job worth a shit unless you want to go into trades. It all comes down to debt taken and money made due to your degree. if you do go, be smart about it. It matters very little where you go for a lot of jobs so just go wherever is cheapest so long as the school isn't total shit.

As far as learning shit? Sure, in some fields. There are also majors that I think you can teach yourself cheaper, faster, and more efficiently. It all depends.

Basically this question is almost useless because it's too vague.

Only a select few degrees.

College ranges anywhere from free (if you're actually smart and get scholarships) to hundreds of thousands of dollars if you go to some expensive-ass private school. Asking such a question with so few details leads me to conclude that you're too autistic to realize how to get the real benefits out of college (hint: the real key isn't about going to class).

such as?

no unless you are a chad

otherwise enjoy hearing the hot girls getting smashed next door by chads

Get a STEM bachelors and then an MBA. Right now it's pretty much the best thing you can do.

Is you have to ask here, then no. Find a good trade with a union.

If you have to ask, then no. Find a good trade with a union.

No but the degree is.

Highly beneficial, but it depends where you go and how much you pay. Also it ain't worth shit unless you graduate.

Nope, unless you absolutely need it for a professional career like being a doctor maybe. Even then you just need prerequisites not a degree. employeers are shifting to hiring to more people with experience regardless of degree

no. forget about trades as well (unless you lack in the brains department).

What the fuck should i be doing then?

This is what im doing. Finishing up a 4 yr masters in STEM then working for a few years followed by MBA

starting businesses. right here, right now. any kind of business. you'll fail sooner or later, but you'll have learned a fuckton. then you start another one, rinse repeat.

LOL, pls. Not everybody is suited for entrepreneurship. OP's personality could be suited for being a wage cuck for all we know. Some people like the stability in knowing all they have to do is put in their hours and then collect a check. If that's what he wants, college is the right choice. A worthwhile major at a home state uni can get a LOT of mileage.

>If that's what he wants, college is the right choice.
lol

If not an Ivy then a waste of money

What about trading stocks on the side? Like opening an account with a brokerage and trying to make money that way. Wouldn't that essentially just be like starting a business out of your dorm room?

I'm really considering doing it, but I come from an EECS background and don't have grounding in finance yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm really interested in the quantitative aspects of finance, and I think implementing algorithmic trading schemes and the like would be pretty good practice for me as well.

how long can I theoretically go to community college for?

If you think all third level education can be judged as one, it's not worth it for you. I recommend getting good at burger flipping and/or harvesting copper wire.

I don't think so, unless you have a goal and know exactly what you want to do. This gen has been really pressured into going for higher education and any job that isn't in an office is something shameful.

Not Op, but let's say you want to become a hs teacher or IT consultant.

Would college still be worth it if you don't have a scholarship ?

I'll be honest unless you're willing to learn a bunch of subjects or move you shouldn't become a teacher. No school will hire you with the knowledge of just one subject, they want dudes who can do history, math, science and PE. It's also a thankless job and competitive as hell.
I have no clue about IT though.

teacher requires accreditation in most places so yea you need it.
IT doesn't strictly need it, but it helps a lot.

trading your own money isn't a business. actually, you're the customer.

sure get a bus/fin/acct/econ degree, a few internships, and go to a cheap but good state school and that's all you need. After a few years of work get a graduate degree and some certifications cfa cpa ect. really not that hard

It depends on what you want to do with your life. If you want to work as an accountant, teacher, doctor, etc. then yes you should go to college.

However, if you want to do anything else then you're probably better off just going to a community college for cheap and working for yourself in some shape or form.

Do you want to be a wage cuck for most of your life and retire at 50 - 60 something?

Or do you want to take a small paycheck and have more freedoms? Do you want to trade off five days each week for two days and a steady sizable paycheck in return? Or do you want to keep striving at making something of yourself for 7 days and giving yourself 0 days in return until you can make the trade off of giving 0 days in return for 7 days off?

Don't kid yourself, if you're on Veeky Forums then you most likely don't want to do something noble. You want to make enough money to give yourself more freedom to do what you really love.

Sure, college will be the safest route for someone who wants to have the greatest chances of maximizing their income, but for many that path isn't for everyone and it isn't a ticket towards success.

Business successes are almost always called lucky whenever they've created a reputable business. Mark Cuban failed many times before he succeeded and was called an "over-night success".

He wasn't though, because he spent years planting himself in the technology niche and learning everything he could. He was up long nights reading Cisco Schematic sheets and shit then he would wake up the next day and go to trade fairs and events to hear what people within the niche were talking about. He put in the ground work and found that many were already talking about the space that he was soon to develop in. Cuban didn't create anything new; instead, he tapped into a sub-niche that was just developing within a wider niche.

Most businesses fail, but only a few of those failed business owners get back on the horse.

Well if you put it that way it isn't. But its still a way to turn money into more money, no?

So is gambling.

But starting a business is a gamble as well isn't it? I mean it could or could not succeed. God knows how many startups fail (90% of them or so people say). What's the difference?

This is Veeky Forums where everybody is a bitter autistic high school drop out that believes they're secretly a genius so, no, of course not.