I dress like shit and want to change it

I dress like shit and want to change it.

So basically, I BMX, so a majority of my clothes (80%) are beat to hell vans high-tops, band tees, and BMX brand clothing. I just moved to Boston a little under a year and it seems like everyone I work with + know seems a little more well, put together.
I used to own a pair or two of jordans back in HS, but it seems that the whole style scene has changed. And I need help.

Current wardrobe
American eagle/no name flannels
Hardcore band t-shirts
Like 4 or 5 pairs of jeans?
Ripped up/vans that lost their shape
Windbreakers from BMX Companies (Cult, Kink, ETHIK)
Fucking military BDUs (but I draw on the back so they're a little custom).
BMX Brand dad caps, polo dad caps, trucker caps

I'm looking to get a couple neutral pieces where I could build out some good outfits for work, days I'm not biking, dates, etc. Just so I don't look like a huge sack of shit.
I really like earthy colors like brown, black, olive and cream. But wouldn't know where to start. Ideally, I'd be looking for 1 decent pair of shoes (I was thinking like Flyknit 4.0s in black), maybe 3 pairs of pants, 5 tees and maybe a few hats? That way I could swap them out and make a few outfits.

Price range: I'm a developer so I make a decent amount, so I guess these would be the max prices for each of the outfit pieces:
Hat - $20-30
Shirts - $25
Pants - $40-50
Shoes - Maybe $175
Jacket - Maybe $75 - 100
I'm also a pretty slender dude, about 6ft tall, 150lbs.
Thanks for any of the direction you guys can give me, really appreciate it!

TL:DR; I dress like shit, hook a brother up with some ideas to help me get started in streetwear fashion.

pic related: some ideas of what I'm looking for

Other urls found in this thread:

killionest.com
www1.macys.com/shop/product/polo-ralph-lauren-core-classic-sport-cap?ID=391810&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340007609695&CAAGID=17673116945&CATCI=pla-62293577359&cm_mmc=Google_Mens_PLA-_-Men's Apparel - Polo Ralph Lauren - GS_Other Polo Ralph Lauren-_-65068997105-_-pg4211_c_kclickid_795af082-4298-4810-8fcb-e220d4cf732e&trackingid=403x4211&catargetid=120156340001356660&cadevice=c&gclid=CJrW3_7WxdECFY-FswodGPgEMg
google.com/search?q=black polo hat&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV6IKa18XRAhVKi1QKHTdXCH8Q_AUIBygB&biw=320&bih=460
adidas.com/us/alphabounce-shoes/BB9042.html
brooksbrothers.com/Garment-Dyed-Tee-Shirt/RP00082,default,pd.html?dwvar_RP00082_Color=MDBL&contentpos=7&cgid=Mens_sale_category
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

inspo

>So basically, I BMX

is it 1995 again?

>I really like earthy colors like brown, black, olive and cream.

something to remember is that black really only goes with black or gray or white, and not much else. if you want to wear black regularly, you are going to need things to go with black. black pants and shoes generally require separate wardrobe items (not all of them will be) compared to a pair of dark indigo jeans, which essentially go with everything but black.

what i'm saying is that it's easier to build a wardrobe without any black in it at all than it is to incorporate black into your wardrobe.

you mentioned flyknits, what kind of style are you shooting for? streetwear or something like more casual tech? gotta elaborate on this a bit mate.

Sure thing man,

BMX is a great way to stay in shape and have fun

But as far as fit, I was under the impression black shoes went well with everything. I'm looking to build a couple outfits, using one nice (non-skate type of shoe). I'm not looking for dressy, but something more a long these lines

But I guess sort of like med-level streetwear. Not exactly frugal but also not exactly 100% flex, if that makes sense?

>black really only goes with black or gray or white
are you joking or no
you can easily get black to work with earth tones, especially if it's understated, you don't have to wear memeochrome all the time

That was my impression, I wear a lot of camo, which has earth and black. Any links for some nice black shoes that have a good silhouette?

most all-black shoes make you look like a waiter, and flyknits are garbage
what you should wear varies based on your age, you don't want to be the 30y/o in chucks
if you are older, a pair of informal black oxfords/derbies (postmans/such) is easy to work with and inoffensive, if not, a pair of generic black skate shoes with a white sole (gazelles maybe?) is clean and uniformly acceptable/useful, though I would really rec getting more than one pair of shoes
if you actually start giving a shit about the way you dress, down the line you'll find it constricting building a wardrobe around a pair of shoes rather than the other way around, it's not a massive expense (especially if you're making cs $), and they'll age disproportionately better if you rotate them

three other things:
holy fuck boston is the most unfashionable city, you don't have to try that hard to stand out outside of HK refugee cashdump areas, and even those aren't very fashionable
your pricing, general aims with this and social segmentation for outfits don't seem that well thought out or accurate
unless you're bald(ing), spend the hat money instead on decent haircuts

>those price ranges
that is some ultra poorfag shit
uniqlo and thrift stores i guess

>black really only goes with black or gray or white
are you colorblind?

Okay, so just to add to this,

I'm 22, so I think it's still safe to wear some skate shoes, I'd be open to more pairs of shoes and things, but I just assumed SW was more about flex shoe pieces (shows how much I know),

Any examples of some fits that would work with what I'm going for? (Originally I'm from Western PA, so Boston looks a little more well put together.)

>Hat - $20-30
>Shirts - $25
>Pants - $40-50
>Shoes - Maybe $175
>Jacket - Maybe $75 - 100

Go to uniqlo in store or order online. Shop around for shoes, get something durable that will last. Take care of them. I'd recommend shoes like pottery, but youll have to order online.

>streetwear
>fashion

What would be a realistic price range, I just based it off what I kind of spend now

streetwear is about flex pieces (usually shoes+outerwear), but inherent in the flexing is the fact that they're not really priced at a level you seem comfortable with, and that the flexing is effortless (i.e. you aren't wearing the same shoes every day until they're threadbare/full of holes)
I also don't think streetwear is a great road to go down for general wardrobe utility (even with startup "culture fit" garbage, flexing HBA isn't going to go great at work, and it's gonna go even worse on a date), or a good one when you don't seem to have the most experience dressing yourself generally whenever people start paying attention to what they wear, they usually begin by buying cheapish clothes to figure out how to manage fit/pairing/form/such before dropping cash on statement/"fit-defining" pieces
I don't actually know what kind of fits you're going for, the first thing you posted is utterly uninteresting to me, the second isn't really streetwear (which is good, I don't really respect streetwear that much)
SlP is canvas and he probably beats/doesn't rotate shoes, plus if you get them for a decent price from japan, he can't return them and I doubt someone stocks them near him
there is a uniqlo downtown though, and sales are usually decent though their fit is kinda going to shit for someone built ok, and none of it's very interesting

Hey thanks for the advice man. I think I just group everything as street wear. So, I'm looking for a more modest look, with some nicer shoes. This probably isn't much to go with, but maybe something like this, but with shoes half the price. Im just trying to generally look more well put together, but I grew up in punk culture so all of my shirts are bands/bmx brands and all of my shoes that I ride in are kind of beat.

And maybe for me, it's as simple as buying 2-3 pairs of decent nikes, some single color shirts and learning how to fit pants a little better. But I'm just trying to figure out where to start

how high can you bunnyhop dude

Op do not be streetwear. Even then this is Veeky Forums which means street wear isn't our forte. Minimally you need to buy UBs and find a discount RL hat

Like I mentioned, maybe streetwear was the wrong word. But I'm looking for a minimalist version without all the huge branding. Would something like these be good?

Bruh. Its all you to find out what fits you best and if all is for naught you can always go full rick...ALWAYS GO FULL RICK

I'd say to start you get decent fitting chinos/jeans/plain t-shirts/informal button downs in versatile colors, 2-3 pairs of inoffensive shoes (I don't really track more sw-ish trainer releases, but because boston's kind of a void you can get away with memetic decent stuff, stans and sambas and gazelles and such, or if you think you can make them work, whatever non-loud shoes you think are utile and nice), and some cheap (without being garbage) outerwear (experiment with nicer milsurp, jackets/sweaters with new weaves/materials, find pieces you think are interesting)
basically, you want a body of clothes that aren't excessive in any way (price/details/such), work with each other, and are varied enough that you can actually get a feel for what you're doing and not just changing the color t-shirt you pair with your one pair of black jeans
when you start off, a lot of looking decent is based on looking at other fits and figuring out how and why they work, and thinking about what the most useful and good-looking thing you could buy from where you are now is. getting well-fitting basics isn't hard (it's pretty self evident what a decent fit is), it's pairing/experimentation/expansion that becomes difficult

Imo uncaged UBs are disgusting. You were right earlier- a flynit racer is better by a lot.

Sorry, I don't get the reference

So to start to build out a basic wardrobe, should I just pick up some plain crews in nice colors, try to fit pants a little better, and start looking at some low-flex/decent trainers?

Ideally, I'd like to have 2 separate wardrobes where one I can still bike in and all that, but the other is just a little more refined.

Any other spots to get minimal shirts, I'm looking at unioqlo now

Whats the difference of the uncaged ones? I only know fly knit because it seems to be more talked about in trainers. I wear vans high tops so I don;t know shit about these higher end nikes or adidas.

kind of. I've never really been involved in or seen bmx stuff, so I don't know what your default is aside from what you wrote in the op, but what I wrote out is sort of foundational hard-to-fuck-up stuff that isn't out of place anywhere aside from actual formal events, and you don't want to just have t-shirts and pants, especially living in boston where winters and summers are both moderately real. buy stuff over time when sales hit and with conscious thought beforehand, and thrift in moneyed neighborhoods to accumulate good stuff on a budget over time, don't try to rush in and buy style like it's a $500 one time purchase to grab off a shelf and have forever. if you try that and keep paying attention, you'll trash half of what you got within a year and a half

specifically for shirts, when I started off I bought a ton of uniqlo and AA, but AA's dying and uniqlo's fit is getting worse/fabric is thinning
I'd suck it up and get uniqlo, given the fanueil hall one is large enough to have a variety of colors, and a small will probably fit you ok, but there's probably somewhere new to get well-made cheap t's for non-fat americans that's better (especially given I don't know boston that well)

Ah, I gotcha man. To give you an idea of what I'm wearing everyday, this is a pretty good sum up of them. Just to give you an idea of my default. I've just been going through my closet and need something a little more put together as well.

The two jackets (Olive drab/camo) were DIY BDUs, I have a couple others, but these are my newest ones that I wear.

No clue but uncaged is ugly. Go here and uniqlo for hypebeast basics
killionest.com

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT POLO CAP I NEED IT

Can't tell if you're joking, but literally Macys.
www1.macys.com/shop/product/polo-ralph-lauren-core-classic-sport-cap?ID=391810&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340007609695&CAAGID=17673116945&CATCI=pla-62293577359&cm_mmc=Google_Mens_PLA-_-Men's Apparel - Polo Ralph Lauren - GS_Other Polo Ralph Lauren-_-65068997105-_-pg4211_c_kclickid_795af082-4298-4810-8fcb-e220d4cf732e&trackingid=403x4211&catargetid=120156340001356660&cadevice=c&gclid=CJrW3_7WxdECFY-FswodGPgEMg

Have one in navy/tan aswell.

Gtfo
google.com/search?q=black polo hat&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV6IKa18XRAhVKi1QKHTdXCH8Q_AUIBygB&biw=320&bih=460

What are you thoughts on Adida's alphabounces as an everyday shoe? I could probably cop 2 colors to start, but just wondering?

the shoes are alright, especially the black sk8-his, the jackets are slightly edgy but probably workable (depending on how they fit you)and I don't really wear hats but they're at least inoffensive. if I were trying to upscale this, I'd ditch all the tees for blank or maybe textural ones, though be restrictive about that. I'm guessing if you're in skate-ish gear you have ok-fitting chinos and jeans, but if you don't, get properly fitting ones (at least olive/tan chinos and black/indigo jeans). levi's/uniqlo is fine, but make sure they fit. I'd definitely get some more outerwear, probably a couple single-color sweatshirts, a cheapish uniqlo bomber maybe, it's kind of hard to say from here/now regardless of what you're wearing. to be honest you just need to try stuff on and do some research, there's only so much someone else can tell you, and I'm not entirely sure what it is you still want from me

if you haven't already, go skim the wiki in the sticky

Yeah, the sk8 his are beat because my bike has metal pedals. So I'm looking for something different. Yeah sounds like I have to go hit up Uniqlo and everything. Really appreciate the help man!

Hell yeah man. Those are good. If you want to spend more buy nmds btw. They super mini with anything black and terrocore

Since I'm looking for earthy tones, would something like this be too limited? The tan looks too chromed? the other pair would definitely be black

adidas.com/us/alphabounce-shoes/BB9042.html

The problem is Idk know where the flying fuck you're gonna get shirts for 25$ bro. Like holy hell for HB that's shit tier.
I would buy black because earthy pants like olivey isn't gonna work with those. Dark brown is a no too.

Are you saying these shoes would be too HP for a minimal fit? Should I look at something else? Not really trying to for HP, just a minimal nice fit at this point.

Yeah I personally think that's too much. Found your shirt place btw
brooksbrothers.com/Garment-Dyed-Tee-Shirt/RP00082,default,pd.html?dwvar_RP00082_Color=MDBL&contentpos=7&cgid=Mens_sale_category

Cop these they're gorgeous and are just sporty enough for what you are going for from what it sounfs like

These are hella technical for minimal and too much texture shit going on

It sounds like you and I are pretty similar. I'm at CS student and I dress mostly in neutral colors along with monochrome. Oversized tops, bdu pants, and sneakers are my daily fit.

Shirts) In general, you want good quality shirts that won't disintegrate after a few washes. Veeky Forums shits heavily on fast fashion but some of it is warranted. If you get a t-shirt from H&M/Uniqlo/etc don't expect it to hold its shape or last a long time. Personally, my go-to for basics is Everlane but I've heard some people complain about their quality. Fortunately, I haven't run into any problems with them yet and their tees are a bit longer than normal which fits my style really well. Some other brands off the top of my head are Reigning Champ, Norse Projects, and Acne. You'd have to wait for sales to cop within your price range but they're reputable, high-quality brands.

Pants) Levi's 511s should work just fine. However, their sizing is horribly inconsistent. I'd go as far as saying you'll never get the same cut of pants twice. If possible, try them on in-store. Wait for sales, they commonly go down to $40. I've had good experiences with Uniqlo's slim jeans but they didn't last me longer than a year and a half or so. Remember to re-dye your pants when they fade out, it's extremely cheap and easy to do.

Shoes) You need to tell me more about what you prefer, man. You like Ultra Boosts? You like Vans more? Flyknits are dope, anything preventing you from getting them?

Hats) I don't know anything about them
Jacket) I'm living in California so I can't really comment on what'd keep you warm.

Thanks for the reply dude, I have 511s and yeah they are terribly inconsistent. My girlfriend and I are going to hit up Uniqlo, H&M and like AE tomorrow to check out some basics kind of stuff.

As far as shoes, I like the look of the slim knit sneakers, but since I wear a lot of vans Im not sure how they'll feel. I want something simple that I could wear for work that aren't too loud, or too skater-ish. I work at a big company, but they have a really big start up culture so I could get away with trainers, I'm just trying to clean up for 2017, y'know?

I feel it. New year new us, right? I think you'd be surprised with how comfortable the new runner category of shoes are. The trend really blew up with the Roshe Runs a few years ago and nearly every sneaker I've had since then is mad comfy. I almost can't go back to wearing my sk8 his because of it. I'd check out Lunar Flyknits if I was you. Pic related is their first iteration and I really wouldn't mind a pair of these at all. It looks like every generation (current is 3 it looks like) has this colorway. They're slim, the zig-zag pattern is extremely nice, and I bet they won't be hard to find.

I have H&M sweatshirts, the $20 ones that are pretty slim, and I honestly like them. They won't impress anyone but they look decent at a low price point.
For Uniqlo t-shirts, I've also heard good things about their supima cotton. My roommate told me they were the best t-shirts he's ever had but I personally have no experience with them.

I'll take a look, I mean I have the budget for them so that's no problem. I'm ultimately looking for something that gives off the shape of a boost, how the sole kind of mushrooms off the knitting (if that makes sense).

>shoes on shirt
almost as bad as shoes on bed

This dipshit didn't read the sticky and y'all still flocked to him

This should've been saged at most