Why does everone use this argument

"Lol who cares if you make 300k if the cost of living is so high!"
You guys should move to haiti so you don't pay rent with a $1 salary.

Because it's often true. The only thing that matters financially is post-tax, post-essential-expense income. And, like it or not, some areas are better for this than others.

That's not an argument, that's just how it is.

Different places have different costs of living. $20k/year would make you homeless in New York City whereas $20k/yr in the Philippines is 4x the average salary and would give you everything you possibly need to live.

you should kill yourself so you won't have any expenses at all

Of course it matters but I assure you don't need 200k+ to live anywhere. People make excuses like "lol in sf you can get a tiny apartment for the price of a mansion in x place", except if you work in the x place you can't buy that tiny apartment in sf and if you work in sf you can buy a mansion anywhere.

Because normies cant git gud

They wont move in with 5 other people splitting mortgage because they like to pretend every year of their menial lives matters.

>but muh laws
Easilly dealt with

>sf you can buy a mansion anywhere.
false
the whole problem with high cost of living is that it doesn't leave you with enough money left over to do anything like "buy a mansion"

you're literally missing the whole point of that post which is: The only thing that matters financially is post-tax, post-essential-expense income

the idea is that no matter how cool you think you are if you make 200k in San Fran, you are effectively making less than people who earn 120k in tons of other places

It's something trailerdwellers in Missouri say to justify why they still live in a near 3rd world state. Broke people also use it to justify living in a dumpster soending every dollar they make.

high wage + frugality masterrace

80k a year extra. On what? Literallt everything costs the same except rent

This is exactly the type of guy I'm talking about
This right here

Tell me how the fuck rent is 80k per year more expensive in SF than in any other place in the world.

It's not, I was disagreeing with the guy who said that, people say something along these lines all the time, I mean sure rent can amount to 50k or something but it's never going to be 100k+ extra and that really pisses me off when people think saving a hundred bucks on rent is better and they end up with a lower net worth.

because cost of living is like taxes. you can guarantee that amount of money is getting axed from your takeaway.

Because they are retarded idiots who repeat things that they hear, especially when it makes them feel smart or like they are making more money than they actually are.

>make 200k and 50k goes to living costs
vs
>make 80k and 20k to living costs
Or
>make 80k and 50k goes to living costs
vs
>make 60k and 20k goes to living costs
This isn't hard at all, it depends on basic subtraction

Lol what? If you make 50k in somewhere cheap like ohio, that would be maybe 80k MAX in super expensive cities. If you make 200-300k in a super expensive city you're talking six figures easy in even the cheapest areas. So you're whole 300k vs $1 analogy is retarded.

Here's a more realistic example. You make $50k in midwest and spend $200/month on rent, $300 on groceries, less than $10k/year in expenses is easy. In NY or SF you'd be paying $20k+ a year in rent alone even if you bought the cheapest apartment. Then the other expenses pile on on top of that, including frequently higher taxes. You may make 10 or 20 grand more and come out even, but your quality of life is much lower.

90% of people seem to follow the I heard it, it made me feel good, now you hear it from me

Why did you just compare an entire region to 2 cities?

low-cast of living areas are a meme by shitty flyover states to entrap young smart people.

I would much rather live in an expensive area. the reason the cost of living is so high is because it is worth it.

Granted if all you care about is money, living in a shithole might make sense. But I would rather live somewhere with opportunity and movement, not some stagnating nowheresville.

what these guys said is spot on. Live frugally and get your ass to a "high cost" of living area. I live in an area of CA where a 3 bedroom house runs $4000 a month. Guess what? I dont rent a fucking 3 bedroom house.

My salary is DOUBLE the national average and I havent even topped out yet.

I spend $8400/year on rent and make an extra $30k a year. If the guy in West Virginia paid ZERO dollars rent a month, I'd still make over $20k more than him a year.

>a 3 bedroom house runs $4000 a month
Know what you mean. $6,000-$7,000 here.
Gotta love Cali.

Because that's true... The fuck are you even talking about OP?

Is it worth traveling ~40 mins every work day of it means playing significantly less? I'm starting to think of might be worth it if you know the back roads.

You don't pay 100k for rent anywhere, this argument only applies if you are a cuck with a 50k job.

They are trash. It is my goal to team up with others who are not trash

the term is disposable income, aka money you can spend on anything

yes you should deduct living expenses

what's so hard to understand OP?

>I work in NY and live in Texas
This is why this meme persists. Idiots

Please tell me how less than 2x the price on housing and other things equals $172k.

Well thats an exaggeration, lets say you live in argentina, you are making aprox 20k pesos/month, which is about 1200 euros/month. Renting a nice house over here would be around 4k-5k, which would be 300 euros, while in Barcelona you need aprox 700 euros for a decent house. So before moving out there because you are getting a new job you calculate this kinda stuff, unless you are making a sustancial difference you would have the same money at the end of the month.

It's a good point really, though it probably more applies to people who might earn 60k vs 80k, 80k vs 100k and so on. It's not uncommon for people who earn fuckhuge salaries to be living on the edge because their expenses are so high.

So this whole deal is to mock people who have higher salaries than you right? Why couldn't you use this logic to say that anyone making 30k+ per household can't complain either? What about 10k+? I don't understand where people draw the line.

300k is big bucks but QoL depends on how much you realistically have access to. why is there a thread about this? you probably take everything you have for granted too.

>So this whole deal is to mock people who have higher salaries than you
Absolutely.
Why can't they all live where beer is $1.25 and the air hurts their face?
Then they'd have even more money!