What would happen if a 45% tariff was placed on Chinese imports?

What would happen if a 45% tariff was placed on Chinese imports?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04&ab_channel=RadioFreeAsia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Make mexico pay

Things.

Chinese markets implode.

America becomes great again.

The cost of living would go up 45%
Say bye bye to those cheap goods in Walmart

We'd find another hellhole country to buy cheap shit off of. If we did become more domestic in our manufacturing, I don't think any right-winged people here would like what would happen.

The price of goods goes up by 45%

This looks positive.
As does this.

not really if you think the price is 100% what goes to china and not 6-8% you are retarded.

It would go up, but not bythe exact amount of the tarrif. But yea, it would really fuck things up

IMO if we slowly introduced tariffs on imported goods, employment and quality of life in the US would flourish. Overseas production and outsourcing jobs that could be done on US soil has really shrunk the middle class. I think that this is pretty much common sense but any protectionist move is seen as an affront to le globalism and would probably start a war or something.

Also this. I swear if I hear the words "global economy" one more time I'm going to lose it.

Trump isn't actually proposing a 45% tariff. It's a common negotiation tool to make higher demands than what you're actually asking and then negotiate down to the level you wanted.
Also, even if he was serious it's just a threat, China would back down if proposed that high of a tariff.

Could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Great time for murica to bully China

China have been shitting on them for too long, about time they kicked the slanty eyed fuckers while they are down

>could be done on US soil
that's a pretty big qualifier. we will gut US companies if we force them to US first-world countries for jobs that other companies are using third-world countries for.

In what way is China down presently?

In what way is China up?

Substantial increase on cost of most good in USA.

USA producers could then compete a little better.

The jobs that have left to China are jobs that they can keep
Our economy has evolved from manufacturing (low quality jobs) to a 21st century marketplace based on services which has substantially increased our standard of living. Free trade with China has allowed us to purchase inexpensive goods that also increases our standard of living.
Decreasing free trade through tariffs fights all of that, increasing our cost of living and turning back the clocks on all of our economic achievements

WW III marican dogs YOU wirr pay!!

You'd all be coming to Canada to do your shopping.

/thread

so keeping people on welfare instead of putting them to work in factories for 40 hrs a week is better?

low skilled / uneducated people will always be the majority. If you don't keep them busy they commit crime

It would be extremely painful

Manufacturing jobs aren't low quality.
Back in the day they allowed the common pleb to own a house with a white picket fence and 2 vehicles all payed off in 3-5 years.

replied to wrong person

I'm inclined to agree

steel workers, plastic injector techs and welders are much better for the economy than fucking mcdonalds

We actually already moved a lot of manufacturing back here that you wouldnt expect - some things the shipping costs dont make sense anjd others people pay more for having it quicker

I think the 3d printing revolution will be monumental (as long as we havent completed gutted the middle class by then) - not just shitty "at home" applications either - imagine a unit say the size of a studio apartment but it can work in metals / glass as well as plastic , you could rent a warehouse and buy one of these and just do machine shop style fabrication but undercut everyone who has to use 100,000 dollars in CNC routers and crap

Who the fuck are you

Shut the fuck faggot leave Mexico alone

You would have to pay more for finger cuffs and entitlements would explode. Tariffs are a tax that actually offsets income tax. The only effect it would have on china is US companies wouldn't flock over there for the 0.75 cent a day labor.

This. I'm working at a factory right now to pay for my second bachelor's. It's not unusual for people here with only GEDs or high school diplomas to clear $55k-$60k a year.

The work is hard and the hours are grueling but it's doable.

Stuff would become more expensive. Domestic manufacturers would be able to compete a little better. China would be upset since we owe them so much money and probably help North Korea build nukes and encourage them to launch them at us.

If Trump won and enacted his protectionism policies, would it be wise to invest in american companies?

Thinking companies that mainly manufacture in US already and look to take market share from global companies.

I'm looking at mainly gun (SWHC) and automakers (F, GMC)

it might make american companies bring back jobs to US but would bring the cost of things up

The global economy will go on without you. A global economy not need individuals such as yourself. The economy in our global market will continue doing well.

Trump can't even place a tariff or build a wall without Congress.

Most companies would actually pay the 45% because it still would be cheaper than American goods. Or they'll keep paying in order to stay relevant.

As for jobs. Holy shit, talk about jobs.
There will be a boom in American jobs like no other.

So what will really happen is that there will be a third party (any country the US goods has a free trade agreement -- Mexico), which Chinese operations move to. Chinese in Mexico buy the goods, and exports them to the USA tariff free. Likewise, if China raises their tariffs on the USA, the Chinese in Mexico would sell American goods to China.

There's no getting around to it.

Do you have any idea what kind of soft skills are required to make billions like he has?

Unemployment would drop, cost of life would increase and people would have to work more to be able to maintain their quality of life. Big companies would invest in R&D to be able to automatize what is now done by Chinese human-robots creating also high-skill requiring jobs.
Progress would happen, people!

>paying bonqueesha $20/hour to wire electric motors

I would immediately be out of business. But that's fine because I hate selling collectibles. On a macro scale, it would reveal entitled executIves and shareholders as naked. They extract massive rent on free labor and think they're special and thus entitled. Without that crutch, it'll be sink or swim and many will drown. Unless government bails special babby out.

That's not how NAFTA works. The goods have to be made in North America.

I work in the fastener industry. We ship 40,000 pounds a month of this one part to Mexico to be assembled just because the fastener has to be made in America/DEFARS.

Just repeal nafta

It would fuck up most of the American mega companies and ultimate US would lose a shit ton of money.

Europe would probably rise as a super power over the US

Youre retarded

china would sell the 7% of our debt they own @ pennies which isn't apocolyptic but it is bad

we would move manufacturing to other 3rd world countries (we're about 30 years too late to stop globalization with "tariffs" dude , its called "the internet")

What goes up. . .must come down.

China already has a lot of taxes on goods imported into China.

Most US made things (what little is left) are considered "luxury" goods by the CCP and are levied at a 20% tax even before tariffs.

no way that happens..... ever.

1) They don't possess American productiveness nor ingenuity.

2) Muslims. Really and honestly, they are a drain.

>China would back down
China won't back down from dick.

they have unlimited manpower are becoming more capitalist, once they realize the power they're sitting on the U.S can do nothing to 'negotiate'.

No
They found capitalism, not pussy Americanized capitalism either, they got a workforce capable of working for peanuts.

>walmart

Buy cheap, buy twice. I never buy chinese goods. They either break instantly or do a shitty job. My dad buys the cheapest chinese made shit off ebay he can find. His stuff is always breaking or crapping out, and he buys like 100 shitty chinese items hoping one will work. When you can just buy ONE that was made in a white country and it will do the job for your entire life.

Poor people are fucking stupid. I bought a pair of $8 sweatpants at walmart once. They were uncomfortable and fell apart within 4 wears. I bought a $12 pair from a decent store and they've lasted fine for half a year now.

Walmart sells garbage to garbage people.

Plus I swear everything made in china is coated with lead because they want to poison us. I NEVER buy chinese-made dishes.

You ever seen a Chinese restaurant kitchen?

and if you really wanna' brew your hate for these rats
youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04&ab_channel=RadioFreeAsia

they'll sell you sewer sludge.

Seriously, I don't get these anti-Trade Trump faggots who shit on Hernie for not understanding economics because of "muh $15/hr minimum wage" and then in the same breath, call for companies to overpay for US workers to do piss easy jobs that third-world children currently do.

They're both equally retarded, and any freshman econ major could tell you this.

The WTO would fuck the US and massivr market shocks everywhere.

"We need to dig up that dead jew Milton Friedman"

This. But since the market is geared towards serving only the largest group and the stupid outnumber the smart by at least an order of magnitude...

Use your brain, taxing China is just another way to say "tax shithole cheap countries". Obv if you only tax China imports, companies would start importing and offshoring to other third world countries.