Canada Finance General

Canadian finance general.

what are you guys holding RN? what are you going doing rn?

I'm working on building up a nestegg, personally. Here's where I'm at so far(hope to work a lot lot lot to build it up over this summer):

- 75 shares of VFV(getting fugged by the CAD going up lately)
- 50 shares of VCN(Just bought since CAD seems to be rapidly improving)

I bought like 20 shares of VRX. Shitting myself because tomorrow's the reports

Also SRAQU just sitting there and just sold some gold etfs

>Valent Pharmaceuticals to admit to wrong doing

Uhoh, that does not look good m8.

Real talk though, i want to get on the s&p train because I KNOW it's going places but the CAD going fucking up is destroying all my gains. I know if I buy more VFV by next month I'll just lose enough more money...

Ceo jacked the prices up 300-400 percent, same thing Shkreli did

The stock was 300+ before so it's either going to skyrocket or drop depending on their 300 billion bank loan and statements tomorrow.

I wanted to put money in VFV as well, but the Canadian dollar looks like it's coming back, but I'm hearing negativity about them showing the months losses that'll cancel out January's gains

I've lost like $100 thus far and CAD is only rising it seems... FUCK

Idk what to do. I might do 50/50 VFV and VCN, since that should essentially be currency hedging then I guess.

What Canadian ETFs you niggers looking at?

I wanna move some money in my TFSA into one.

>What Canadian ETFs you niggers looking at?
>I wanna move some money in my TFSA into one.

VFV, VCN.

I'm a dumb ass nigger tho, but idk

bump

Why did Vanguard have to fuck up VDU and VEE? Probably going to do iShares now since their MERs have lowered enough.

Aware me on how they fucked them up, please.

I was under the impression that since their last batch of MER cuts they were amazing.

Is VFV and VCN still ok?

Not that OP

Did they not recently just raise their fees?

I'm using my TFSA money for day / long term equities trading.

I made $882 on Bombardier stock, then cried a little as the shares climbed a further twenty pennies.
Oh well made money, tax free.

Also have shares in Tamarack Valley Energy, Orbite Inc, and of course GALXF.

He asked about ETFs :D

Not that I know of, I'll check right now though.

I've kinda been out of it all lately. Only buying every month.

I know, and I have no idea about ETFs..

Do you know about ETFs?

I think I know something but in reality I don't know very much.

That's what I'm trying to figure out with my VFV/VCN allocation right now. I'm just confused with the currency fluctuation.

Like I'm suppose to be making mad gains from s&p... Yet I'm making mad LOSSES because CAD is rising.

Who are you banking/broking with that you can hold GALXF on your tfsa? I've tried with bmo investorline and no luck whatsoever

Anyone have any Scotiabank mutual funds? Mine are pure shit.

My advisor recommended a portfolio for me and it hasn't done jack shit since I bought it. I know the market has been weak but not that bad.

I'm thinking about pulling out.

You should imo, but don't sell at a loss.

I'd go with CanadianCouchPotato(tm) memes. Seems like he knows what he's talking about

Got some shares in TD.TO they have a good dividend like all Canada bank stocks. Have 15,000 sitting in a TFSA, thinking about buying Berkshire Halfway Class B, FB and maybe Google if it goes to 700, but frankly I'm not sure if ill invest yet

Nice.

RY and TD are good choices, I was considering putting like 20% into them as I got a bit more shekels

I haven't lost anything. It's just the gains are so tiny after 6 months. It's dead money that isn't earning anything.

I bet the Scotiabank mutual funds are full of shitty Canadian commodities. Their financial advisors don't seem to know much about anything.

I'll look into that Couch Potato stuff.

>I'll look into that Couch Potato stuff.

You should. It's a really good blog about Canadian finance and he has model portfolios and stuff. Good stuff

SilvercorpMetals, Kinross, and Yamana powering my TFSA right now. Made a large buy of NA (National Bank) when it hit 35 and its hovering around 45 right now. Tempted to sell and sit on some cash while watching the mining stocks.

Short sellers may still slit my throat in that regard. Bought TIO around .90 (Fintechs are fun to own) and its been good to me.

Anyone here with some insight into some buys that could benefit from the infrastructure spending?

20k shares of OGI

>do taxes
>been daytrading since about fall
>auto sync tax software with CRA account
>auto-fills any forms CRA has on file
>taxes owing
>$500 000

kek. not quite. t5008 only show value of disposed assets not the buy price. so it looked like i bought shares for 0 dollars and sold for 20k or 30k each time. i wish i owed 500k in taxes. would have meant i made several million.

ITT : no oil stocks

What the fuck anons, earnings opportunities like this don't come along every day. Why are none of you autists going long on oil?

I'm new to trading and just opened an account with Virtual Brokers. If I have a margin account and I have enough cash in the account for the purchase of a stock, am I allowed to finance that transaction using exclusively cash, or am I forced to borrow on margin? I just bought a number of shares and pic related is what my account displays (ignore the -19.95 US $). Prior to purchasing the stock I had $794 in cash) The market value is the value of my shares and net equity is market value plus the remaining cash. Then next to it is margin at $414.97. I don't know what this means. Please help. What does Margin (End of Day) mean? Is it the amount of money I can borrow should I choose to buy more?

Don't go with mutual funds in any bank

Do your own research on each funds if you are, I came out with 700+ profit in gold. The funds they suggest to you have the highest MER and are very meme in that they're only suggested to sell that fund.

Got stocks on SRAQU. Waiting for some movements there. VDE is what I'm also looking at

any other stocks you'd suggest?

Margin means your borrowing to buy. I think when you put money in your account, they give you extra "margin" (like 1.5x purchasing power or something) to buy stocks. It charges interest though

What I want to know is what the dollar figure under margin means, since all of my cash seemingly went into my stock purchase. I bought the stock with just cash, not on margin, so why is there $414 under margin?

it's your purchasing power, you can buy stocks with that 414 but you'll owe them interest

why is housing so expensive here. how does anyone make money from rentals

I'm not him but I bought GALXF through rbc in my tfsa. You have to let them know GALXF is equivalent to GXY traded on ASX and is therefore eligible for TFSA

>any other stocks you'd suggest?

Battered but solid service companies like TCW. It's currently trading at 1/10th of it's 2014 value and if they survive the oil bust there is a large upside to be had.

>tfw losing ALL my shekels on fucking vfv

god damn it

>20
>have 15 grand in my bank account
>want to invest in something

How do i get started in investing, buying stocks etc? I am currently with PC Financial and they are okay for something with no annual fees, i feel like an bank with branches you can walk into etc have much more benefits.

if the SPX hits below 2040 and makes a big drop, we might go into freefall. and i don't know where it might stop.

man I didn't even make any gains because of fucking CAD appreciation.

fuck, reeeee!

I am so, so, sorry..

I would suggest opening a discount broker as a TFSA. Virtual brokers, Questrade, interactive brokers are decent ones

I'd start looking at sectors you already know about or find some etfs

They told me it wasn't on the list of OTC stocks i could buy...

Well if the issue is that it's not registered, (for your TFSA) then they're wrong. Otherwise you might need another broker.

I loving the appreciation, it makes the Ultralight Aircraft kit I want to buy cheaper by the day.

Sonex Waiex-B, here I come!