Uniqlo has ruined an entire generation of kids in japan

>uniqlo has ruined an entire generation of kids in japan
>"i-it's the only good fast fashion store!!! but it's actually not fast fashion!!"
How do we stop the cancer from spreading before it's too late?

Other urls found in this thread:

spoon-tamago.com/2017/02/04/japanese-street-style-magazine-fruits-to-shutter-after-20-years-citing-lack-of-cool-kids/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good they looked like insufferable hipster pieces of shit anyways

Bless Up

>street fashion
>hipster

That kid's in a fucking nirvana tee.

Not even fashionable to begin with.

>Not even fashionable to begin with.
not sure if you can read or not but that issues from just a few months ago and the magazines been cancelled because the past year has been shit
its prime was late 90s-early 2000s

I feel like copping an issue. Magazine user got me interested. Plus my popeye and outstanding are collecting dust

Kind of hard to read the publication date on a postage stamp.

Someone in that article's comments claims it was the photographers being too picky about their subjects. I can sort of see where they're coming from given that during the 90s, fashion like this not only became increasingly acceptable to youth but also people were trying to forget their post-bubble worries with whatever distractions they could find. Dressing eccentrically and in a way that says 'fuck being a salaryman or a housewife' is a pretty strong way of doing that, going against what had been the norm since after WWII. However minimalism has been popular lately and I guess stores like Uniqlo and Muji work perfectly for that. You get good quality stuff at a cheap enough price so that you can change your colour scheme, wardrobe etc without having to sell all your stuff again and make a big loss. I guess then a person dressed maximally becomes even rarer, which is a both good and bad thing. Maybe in another 15-20 years we'll see people walking around like that again, I hope so anyway.

Does anyone know about taking street snaps for personal use? Do people mind? Im looking at going to japan for a month this year or next year and using it as a photography trip. Seems like taking photos of people dressed in full N(N) etc would be pretty fun and interesting.

Makes me pretty happy to see a thread like this on Veeky Forums anyway. I might dump some photos I have saved that are mostly from tokyofashion

Pretty sure Fruits is girls only or crossdressing boys. There's a mens version too I think but I forget the name.

This sort of stuff that you'd never see in the west has its own charm.

dammit dude I liked fruits even if I didn't dress anything near like that

Ironic that something seen as disgusting in the past would now be more than accepted by most people

This one's not from Japan but I like it anyway

Same with this

That's all for now. sorry if I got carried away a bit

No need for excuses my boy, I appreciate.

How do I into loose pants as a 6'0" thin guy? Should I just go all out or should I take one step at a time and first go to tapered pants that are really loose at the thigh-knee.

Notice how the guy in the pic has a sense of not giving a fuck? Notice how he only cares about comfort. That's all you have to do to pull off the look.

embrace the l o o s e

e m b r a c e t h e l o o s e

>guy

>I might dump some photos
good stuff user
>Do people mind?
well I mean, someone had to take the photos you're posting right?
wear looser tops too imo

>well I mean, someone had to take the photos you're posting right?
Yeah, but theyre from a website or magazine. I'm just some guy with a camera.

Mens version is called tune

You're only cumming buckets over this stuff because >Wow v dece Japanese aesthetics

i remember those sweaters from aa

No its because fruits and tune were magazines dedicated to young people who actually liked fashion as self expression

It wasnt contrived it wasnt about status or hyped up meme pieces it always felt authentic which was incredibly refreshing to look at instead of r/streetwear kiddies or faggots from facebook groups like btnk or the basement

Couldn't have put it better myself

indeed
well said

I've never felt compelled to dress like this but I love seeing the creativity, self-expression, and all around weirdness
I like to learn about crazy little Tokyo shops that I'll never visit that are stocked with homemade viking helmets and giant neon brains and pants made backward and everything that is wonderful and unique

>spoon-tamago.com/2017/02/04/japanese-street-style-magazine-fruits-to-shutter-after-20-years-citing-lack-of-cool-kids/
Streatwear is dying, that's a good thing

This is funny as fuck
The sorta japanese "comfycore" people rave about here is according to that article what is killing the creativity of Japanese fashion
kek

Yeah Uniqlo is the reason this magazine is shuttering. Sure. One of the main reasons it is shuttering no doubt is that because it's, well--a magazine. But they wouldn't talk about that.

Even in Japan where old technology generally coexists with the new instead of being routinely discarded--you're not going to stop this shit to an extent. The publishing industry is dying. True, Harajuku is not what it used to be, but I wouldn't blame Uniqlo exclusively for this. People grow up, generations that valued one thing (maybe unique street fashion) move on and are replaced by the new generation who maybe values something else. It's as flippant as like say 1980 hits and someone asks "where's Flower Power gone?" Things change.

(By the way, I can tell you that right now the uniform for guys in Harajuku is this: green parka with fur hood, black skinny jeans, Yeezy 350s lol).

There are still people carrying the torch and not afraid to get super weird unique. (Pic related I took last year).

Best thing is when I see gyaru in Shibuya holding kids. Things change.

w2c left jeans

>claims to be not fast fashion
>parent company called "Fast Retailing"
seems legit

Yeah, I don't mind desu. It's still interesting I guess, I've never delved too deep into Harajuku.

>girls or crossdressing boys

I feel like I'll be scared to read on the train.

>tfw ywn a qt gf who tries out these styles and pulls em off well

The name is so ironic it feels like they're trolling.

Bullshit. This anime whore style was pretty common/popular in Finland in the 2000s.

Sick Qasas. Is that an actual cw or custom?

it was an actual colourway
pretty sure it was for ss2015 with all the other Hawaiian print shit

Why don't they just adapt the magazine to the current generation?

is this bait? they're protecting the integrity of the brand

print media is dead
instagram is way better for this kind of thing anyways

Present yourself as a person with fashion photography as a hobby or something.
Don't act like a tourist taking photos, that would be real weird.
If you have some good camera equipment then that would make ppl more comfortable when you're taking their pictures I guess?
This is all just my speculation tho, as I have not lived in japan and don't know their culture that well.

Don't let the top be too long, buy pants that actually have a good loose cut.
Cdg have some great loose pants, prolly more than cdg out there but I'm not familiar with them.

This. I love scrolling though tokyo fashion and other similar ig/sites.
I would love to see such fashion in my town, just because it's fun to look at.
Scandinavia is too minimal for that stuff tho.

We should have these kind of threads more often.

Where exactly am I supposed to get basics from if I'm poor? UNIQLO is a step up from Hanes and mall-tier garbage like Gap desu senpai. For me it's supima tees, the best fashionable basic t-shirts

>changing your color scheme
In what universe?

10/10

>ironic and tasteless gaudy shit is now "creative" and "expressive"

Fucking weeaboos. I love Japan as much as anyone else in this shithole, but these fits are no different than shitty tumblr fashion.

>basic bitches with nirvana tees on the cover
lmao even uniqlo is better than this

>I love Japan
>even though it's a shithole

I'm pretty sure he ment Veeky Forums

Is this a joke? The people in this magazine were doing this 10, 15 years before tumblr was even conceived. Tumblr fashion is just a poor emulation of this. It doesn't work as well because the people who are doing it don't look good to begin with and the thrift store pickings are much slimmer compared to Japan. It was never fucking ironic, this post 2010 'irony' trend is stupid.

Can you read? I said Veeky Forums is a shithole, not Japan.

Are you seriously going to tell me that a full-print anime tiddy shirt doesn't have some degree of irony behind it? It doesn't matter what year it is.

Oh, so would that make you one of the "fucking weeaboos" you talked about?

As if that early '00s weeb wear wasn't just a sub-cultural uniform in itself instead of self expression too.

Yeah I am. I would be pretty surprised if this style of 'Im only pretending to be retarded' irony existed in Japan; I think it's more of a western thing. Prove me wrong though I guess. I would say anyone who has the guts to wear has some genuine interest in anime (or similar). It's worth remembering that the people you see in most of these photos grew up with anime on TV, and some got into it more than others. I'm sure there's genuine anime fans on tumblr too, but they're eclipsed by the 'haha so weird xD' crowd who spend money on omocat's products and post gifs of whatever flavor of the month series is out at the moment.

>Does anyone know about taking street snaps for personal use?
tried this a couple times in Amsterdam.

Once, a woman crossed a street to tell me I was doing "something creepy" and "no one knew what I was doing with the photos".

She's right.

do I have to hold out a sign saying I'm publishing the pics on an instagram feed?

yeah but nobody cares about fucking shithole Finland

You should ask if you can take pictures of people beforehand you creep

what pants are those on the dude on the far left

If most of the pics itt are from the past year then I can see why they are shuttering because the fashion is utter SHIT.

If Fruits was started in the 90's, then the kids they photographed were of the generation Pluto in Libra, which would be very concerned with appearances and creativity, and following them Pluto in Scorpio, which has apparently been half decent half crap. Pluto in Sagittarius has been a failure so we have to wait till the 2030s for Pluto in Capricorn for potentially decently stylish people.

lol

Why didn't you ask before what the fuck.

>Does anyone know about taking street snaps for personal use? Do people mind?
It's pretty common, especially in Paris around touristic areas.
Always feel good when someone asks to snap your squad (ego boost)

The photos itt are from tokyofashion...

Like another user ITT said, magazines in general are dying.

I don't think he's right to put the blame on uniqlo. The vast majority of young people (actually people in general) will, by definition, dress to fit a mold. This is what majorities do.

Meanwhile, there is and always has been a "counterculture" of interesting fashion. This is what they were photographing in the 90s, and they could continue to this day. I don't think they were looking hard enough.

But, really, the main reason is that magazines are dying in general.

Ok homo it's not the late 90s-early 00s anymore

Move along

Haha I am the coolest man of all time!

yes lets completely ignore all fashion history and wear stictly uniqlo
dont you have a supreme launch to go wait for

yeah honestly sounds like fruits failed because of nepotism on the part of the photographers, the founder failing to remedy this sooner, and his inability to stay up to date and transition from print media into the internet

it's only a matter of time before it comes back, i expect ZINES to be a thing with normies within the next couple years

I hope so. I hate Instagram.

there were a lot of things that were popular in finland in the 2000s

We know you're lying, Putin.

Don't make them make new Lahtis to destroy your newer tanks too.

uniqlo had nothing to do with it.
niche things have their problems.
especially in areas where this fashion is popular being pushed out by big business firms and landlords wanting to sell land pushing out small businesses catered to the fashion.
harajuku especially where a lot of this is centered has this issue and people have mentioned it before.
plus the possibility of foreign brands can take attention away from local brands.
subculture also has changed over the years with too much shitty outside influence.

Id on hoodie

ID on outfit minus glasses

>finland
>the west

W2c sweater? V. Cute

>but these fits are no different than shitty tumblr fashion
Whut, I beg to differ.
If you look at tumblr fashion, it's all the same concept behind what they're wearing.
They all color their hair, maybe some vintage stuff, docs and other memes.
They all have the same concept behind their fits with other small variations.

The fits above or on tokyo fashion etc., on the other hand are fits with different concept behind their clothing.
When I say concept I mean like, some wear this overly exaggerated cute style, some wear full on geometric shapes, some with exaggerated rock star fits.
That's the difference, they have different concepts behind their fits compared to tumblr. Maybe to you they are all the same because the are all "exaggerated"?
Not sure because you didn't say why they're the same as tumblr fashion in your post.

found the russian

because it's a public street in one of the most tourist-ridden cities on the planet
your level of deluded privacy is pathetic

Germans detected

if you're on public property, you have the right to take photographs of anything. that's basic sense.

Purest white genes in Europe.

you know here in Zermany zhere is no such thing as disagreeing

w2c left hoodie and pants?

exactly, finland are just following their roots of the asian khan