Do you think there were any Atlantis-like civilizations in the antediluvian world? What about lost technologies?

Do you think there were any Atlantis-like civilizations in the antediluvian world? What about lost technologies?

Other urls found in this thread:

creation.com/egypt-chronology
creation.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doesn't your question kind of answer itself? If there was a Flood intended to kill of prior civilizations, then there were prior civilizations that the Flood was designed to eradicate.

Did they have higher technologies, or were they more in line with genetic manipulation?

>antediluvian

You mean the universe that was before our universe in which the archetypes of man and animal were copied into by god?

Or the good ol americanprotestant "the grand canyon is were the flood drained into the earth 3000 years ago!" geniuity?

>You mean the universe that was before our universe in which the archetypes of man and animal were copied into by god?

wat

>americanprotestant
Biblical*

Yes, absolutely.

>Or the good ol americanprotestant "the grand canyon is were the flood drained into the earth 3000 years ago!" geniuity?

This is modern archaeological theory, yes. Get with the times.

Everything till about 500 years ago was reading the bible wrongly?

The "deluge" is basically synonimous with the Hindu and Buddhist concept of Pralaya, namely reabsortion of all manifestation into the one cause of everything or the "world egg" (here symbolized as Noah's Ark) which lay on top of the "causal waters" (that is pure potentiality, or the primeval waters). In the Hebrew tradition, at the beginning of manifestation the Spirit of God hovers over the waters (the spirit is symbolized as a dove). In the Noah myth, a dove once again hovers over the waters just before the world reappers into manifestation. According to one Hindu account, Brahma is said to hover over the waters in the form of a swan, and likewise the orphic theogony speaks of a world egg being hatched by a bird-figure.

I like to believe there were some at least bronze-iron age civilizations but it's unsubstantiated as far as I know.

> Good thing modern academics aren't actually dumb enough to fall for this Mesopotamian myth taken out of context.

Oh wait, someone's always dumb enough.

I have to say your interpretation of the Noah myth as the reignition of the universal engine in a cyclical model of the cosmos is a tasty combination of Eastern and Western religious philosophy, and resembles some of modern theoretical physics, as well, to boot.

Still don't believe it any more than I believe in the traditional mesopotamian myth deluge, but I have to say it's way more cool inna sci-fi fantasy kinda way.

>He doesn't know about the ancient Finnish Empire

> a bird figure.

Much of myth is taken directly from the sky.

Ooops, wrong image.
I'll start over.
*Ahem*

> a bird figure.
Much of myth is taken directly from the sky.

a...ayy.....lmao...

Atlantis literally fucking existed.

It was the land of the finno-ugrics before it was sunk by jealous greeks (aka hellenized saxons) in the first Aegean Glory War

Plato was not a historian. You're not supposed to understand a historical narrative from Critias, but a metaphorical dialogue on "the state", its value and its power from its cohesion and solidarity.

>but, but, but, there's generally glimmers of truth behind such narratives!

yeh, a glimmer, an embellished, sensationalized glimmer. It does not matter where or what the place was. It was "place x".

>Do you think there were any Atlantis-like civilizations

Define "Atlantis-like".

>in the antediluvian world

When, precisely, do you think this was?

>What about lost technologies

Define "lost".

IMO the only antediluvian civilization theory that might possibly hold water, is one located in the South Chia Sea;

Years back there was a website by some guy who went into all kinda detail about how an advanced ice age civilization (advanced compared to others on Earth at the time, i.e. with agriculture, pottery and such, not nukes and jet planes) might have developed in “Sundaland”, which at the time due the lower sea levels, was above water and would have been criss-crossed by rivers and made for excellent farmland but ended up getting flooded, as the ice sheets melted and sea levels rose around roughly 10,000 B.C., with these people then spreading out and spreading their technology and practices throughout the stone age world.

The Golden Age of the Greeks is the age that was before their Dark Ages, namely, the Mycenean civilization.

If pre-flood civilisations existed then they have left no archeological record.

So either there was nothing to begin with, or the antedulivian civilisations used natural materials like mud bricks (as in Sumeria) or wood, which have washed away or crumbled away completely.

>In the Noah myth
"For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" (Matthew 24:38-39).

No but wouldn't it have been really fucking cool? Imagine discovering some underground cavern filled with ruins, unknown technology and millions and millions of texts. It would make a renaissance so big we'd forget the first one even happened.

>Define "Atlantis-like".
The image I posted.

>When, precisely, do you think this was?
About 4,359 years ago.

>Define "lost".
That existed and that we now know nothing about.

>About 4,359 years ago.
Pretty sure Egyptian civilization existed then

creation.com/egypt-chronology

>creation.com

fuck off americuck

Maybe. Civilizations have traditionally sprung up near coastlines and during the end of the last ice age the receding ice sheets releasing pressure on tectonic plates caused a number of coasts to be submerged. I doubt that there was any ancient ayylmao-tier technology present but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of relatively advanced societies got baleeted in a hurry.

I do believe it. There are plenty of things hard to explain that originate from antediluvian world. I don't necessarily think it was Plato's Atlantis, but there was advanced civilization with vast knowledge of astronomy, mathematics, linguistics and architecture that survived in bits and pieces for fucking long time until Egyptian civilization.
Before I thought like this user but it just doesn't make sense, it had to be more advanced beyond some simplistic societies to leave such a mark on later world. Not technologically, but at least in terms of organization, knowledge and all.

We'll never know for sure where it was, did it develop locally or if it was perhaps even global, under which circumstances it thrived, what destroyed it and so on. Maybe it wasn't even 'destroyed' just like the ice melting wasn't sudden. Perhaps it simply moved around the world developing weaker local versions that gradually detoriated, lose knowledge and ways because it had to deal with locals, climate changes etc.

I will also say that many elite families of this world with wealth and access to knowledge far above that of 'plebs' (no I don't mean Illuminati) believe it to be a fact and discuss it as such, but science long time ago decided that it won't bother with it, not for the lack of evidence, but rather lack of continued evidence that would methodologically put it in some context. Which is understandable. Either way, there are families in this world so old that they pass stories from generation to generation along with their wealth and skills for thosands of years. They existed in late medieval times (proved) going back to ancient times (proved) and even to the days of early Republic when they claimed they came from the East, but people think they don't exist anymore or their heritage is dissolved, but that's not the case. True knowledge is not hidden, its just not sought, there are many more sources of information than we think

>500
First intellectual teachings of creationism are from 19th Century America

even Saint Thomas Aquinas suggested something like evolution could have happened

>even
Even St. Augustine was convinced of it, along with various other ideas modern creationists couldn't grasp.

it's a serious anti-intellectual movement. Anti-intellectualism is what's killing the church and has been for over a hundred years now

>Evangelion intensifies

I somewhat agree, but the Roman Catholic Church didn't fall for that meme and it accepts evolution as a fact, but it mentions it is helped by God instead of being 'a pure accident', which is completely understandable and I myself believe that. They also accepted the Big Bang, but not as an accident, just as a physical manifestion of God's will/creation in this realm. Catholicism is the only actual intellectual branch of Christianity, producing philosophers and scientists for over two millenia. Separations from it were huge mistake, faith was meant to be regulated and guided by the best of men overseeing all the changes systematically and adapting the faith with the knowledge of the world.

>antediluvian

Why is this a thread? On the HISTORY board?

>accepted the Big Bang
It comes from a Catholic priest.

>Catholicism is the only actual intellectual branch of Christianity
as a non-Catholic I do cede this and I'm glad that Catholicism is still around.

it's really the biggest failure of protestantism; what we gain in freedom and relationship we lose in administration

You expect me to believe that we (modern intelligent humans) have existed for 50,000 years and lived like animals for 47,000 years? lol no

anatomically modern humans have been around for 200,000 years. ubaid period began about 8500 years ago so we've been living like animals for about 191500 years.

lotta humans live like animals today. accept it.

>we're just shaved apes xD

8500 years ago was only 5500 BC. Jericho is like 9500 BC. Neolithic, but pre-pottery. Still, organized society in a city.

I can't answer, I guess, because you have a much different understanding of things than I have. For example, for the deluge to have been so late negates alot of recorded history. I could go with a localized deluge at 2600bc, or about 150 years earlier, but you seem pretty specific with your value.

Nothing in the world has ever resembled the pic.

>deluge to have been so late negates alot of recorded history

I just want to remind everyone that creatonists got no way ever to explain why there's such a different fauna in EuroAsia and America as well as Africa, South America and Australia if everything orginated from the garden of Eden.

This has already been explained to you and the first chapters of Genesis are not meant to be taken literally.

How can someone be a creationist and not take that chapter literally?
Isn't that the point of creationism?

I believe in the Flood but not the first chapters of Genesis though because they are not meant to be taken literally and never were taken literally by most people.

>the only antediluvian civilization theory that might possibly hold water

And a Creatonnist isn't someone that thinks everything was created in its current form without any evolution to it?

>metaphoricalism
You're a fucking half-baked heretic.

This theory does not explain why oceania did not keep a rump state or succesor kingdom or even ethnic remnants, instead its full of islands full of abos and negritos pygmies with iqs rivalling that of chimps. Their genetic variations mean they were on those islands from at least 25.000 years ago.

Ayyyyy pseudoscience.jpg

Even if that would be the case, the syntaxis and semantics used on the texts is definitely not helping. The biblical texts until the new testament are extremely figurative with very rudimentary metaphors and a dindu nuffin god

>Implying protestant church denominations are not just different means of interpreting the bible each and every single one of the correct goy

I think that the deluge could have two sources. One ancient related to the end of ice age (best non jew example is the polynesian, no arks yet tells about sinking land) and one related to local tsunami or black sea formation tier.

My favourite myth related to this last one is the mapuche one (as a chilean) that says that two giant snakes, one of water and one of earth were fighting against each other and the fate of mankind. Cai cai vilu and tren tren vilu

The sea snek attacked from the west literally engulfing land in wave after wave turning people into fish and seafood, with people running to the hills and mountains where the earth snek raised land in massive earthquakes finally defeating the sea snek (for a while, giving a truce) since they would fight again...

A nice myth that explained for them my land struggle with tsunamis and quakes (every 20 years like clockwork), why there are seashells on hills and why its so fucking hilly. Yet no arks and no animals

>A god regularly come in to destroy the human world just to get driven back by other god
>The world never is trully at peace
>The world is always in the danger of getting destroyed
Sounds like some warhammer stuff

Explain to me why stuff like tomatoes and potatoes never grew in Eurasia before Columbus.

And in the event we lose modern record keeping, one day, the world wars will one day be synonymous with product of aggression etc etc

eh..

Notice that fiji arks are literally described like ships made by the kings.

In easter island its about king hotu ma tua who escaped from the sinking land of Jiva (Java)

Its completely different from the "buid me a shoebox of wood" assyrian thing

Also interested in the only guys that said that humanity wasnt saved. Did they believe they were penguins or something?

There's a decent chance that there was a relatively advanced civilization in Doggerland as well. Dem fertile plains, man.

Greek flood myth has man in transgression. I don't think there is an arc provided in the versions I've read.

Where is there universal destruction in any Greek myth? And it definitely includes birds and divine favour.

But all I have on hand is Ovid and hes my least favorite source for mythology....

>if everything orginated from the garden of Eden.
no creationist thinks that though
they just think all people came from the same place

>metaphor
not him, but I believe that it tells the extra-dimensional story of mankinds fall from grace in the most human terms possible, without losing anything in translation

Get that /x/ shit out of Veeky Forums.

There's still problems to that way of thinking though.
Many Creatonists seem to think Oceans didn't exist or were much smaller before the flood, so the plants should have been able to spread anyway.
And why grow different plants on different continents if you don't do it with Animals? Thinking about the Ark here.

They are being silly since they are adding extra info or interprerations to things already mentioned. I think its pretty explicitely specified on genesis that god created the seas before man and animals