Anyone added metal tips to their shoes?

Anyone added metal tips to their shoes?

to what end?

So they can clickity clack around while they're off being fags

To avoid water slipping in between the sole and the since this is a particularly exposed area.

Make sure beforehand (or ask) that your cobbler doesn't nail the metal tip but screw it in.

Spontaneous tap dancing

the front end

I have these put on all my leather soled shoes.

It doesn't make any noise, just prevents that part of the sole from wearing down prematurely.

A good cobbler will fit them so they're flush with the rest of the sole.

You should also have a topy/vibram added to the heel to counteract heel drag

/thread

Why do people still use leather soles in current year?

to ends meet

You have never ever even seen with your own eyes a pair shoes with a leather sole.
You might as well go back to /r/myfashionadvice or /r/streetwear

Why are you quoting ?
Are you ?
Have you even seen a leather sole in real life, God forbid ever owned a pair of shoes with leather soles?

very nice.

Obviously, What I was getting at is that people choose leather and add metal tips on trying to make them last longer when they could just buy something with a rubber sole or get them resoled with something better

I think the point here is that leather soled shoes, regardless of how they wear, are inherently better shoes. Think of what the most expensive/sought after/desireable shoes and boots (tricky Ricky aside) have in common: virtually all are leather soled.

>inherently better
Make a shoe, create the same shoe with a rubber soul, Both almost exactly the same the only difference is the one with a rubber soul lasts longer

People buy them because they think leather is the best and possibly tradition, How many people buying shoes even know the different types of leather available?

severely underrated

A rubber sole is less comfortable than a leather sole and does not give the same feedback.

One will typically buy a pair of shoes with a leather sole and then add the aforementioned metal tip.
A leather sole (plus metal tip) will usually last fairly long, it depends of course of much you walk with the shoe. If the leather is somehow so bad that you cannot walk with the shoe anymore it's probably way past cobbler-time for the shoe, meaning even with a rubber sole you would still need to go to the cobbler (heel giving out etc).
Besides, as you walk on pavement, leather soles give a particular feedback and sound you do not have with rubber soles. They are also less rigid than rubber soles. Indeed it's easier for the sole to take the shape of your foot with leather soles. It's also the best way to let the shoe "breath".

If you're really concerned about longevity you can ask a cobbler to add rubber pads to your leather soles. That will give every benefit of a rubber sole (objectively traction and subjectively duration). You'll lose a bit of flexibility nonetheless.

Ultimately, among other things leather soles give you the flexibility to do what you want with your shoe, rubber soles do not.

>[...] or get them resoled with something better

Can you point me to that material that is not leather nor rubber?

A lot of shoes are made that way to fit with tradition. In my experience a leather soled shoe just fits better and the insole tends to fit to the foot better over time.

I've had a few pairs of boots resoled with Vibram soles, but there isn't really much of a need to have e.g. heeled pumps resoled. They don't last as long if you're walking a lot outdoors, but there might be some status thing attached to continuing to wear a leather sole. (e.g. I do not have to walk outdoors).

Leather soles are really important on men's shoes for certain purposes, like dancing. If you're going to a formal event where you're required to dance, a leather-sole is important

>tricky Ricky aside
Both pairs of my Rick Owens shoes (a boot and a sandal) have leather soles.

My go-to is a big rubber slip pad on the entire bottom with a tiny, tiny steel toe-tap.

If you just add a big ass steel tip then its going to make so much fucking noise when you walk and its also going to still be slippery as shit. So then the little tap is just to make sure your shoe doesn't wear down too bad.

If you're going for protection from slippery floors then go with rubber pad, NOT steel. Looks better too, those steel ones get rusty and chewed up.

Source: actually have a job requiring nice shoes unlike 95% of Veeky Forums

kys
coming from a guy w/ several leather soled shoes from AE

kys you're self bitch
coming from a w/ several leather solder shoes AND who is from Paris
hehehe how can you ever recover from this!

Holy shit dude, you are so much better than everyone else. Thanks for allowing us to be graced by your post, we don't deserve such divine providence.

What the fuck?

i wish I could be this witty

Good good, now you have to go all the way

>dragging your heels

*tips fedora, unsheathes katana and flourishes trenchcoat*