Found item fashion

Art student here looking for some inspo for a final project in my design class. It's a fashion show where we design and create a piece of clothing and incorporate found items. It also needs some political commentary bullshit but mainly i'm looking to make something aesthetically pleasing, I have no clue how to make any piece of clothing though so i'm unsure how to do that. Inspo? advice? pic related. it's one of those recycled dress memes.

it's real hard to find inspo, alot of pieces either look like shitty gimmick clothes or are just impractical unwearable art pieces, unfortunately i have to wear what i'm making

Can't post a photo but google 'bubble wrap dress'
That shit is nicely sculptural but it drapes too.

>It also needs some political commentary bullshit
rip

honestly should be illegal.

Good margiela inspo user - I have a few pictures if anyone's interested
Each item hand made in margielas Paris atelier with many items' taking over 30 hours to make

i'll be sure to stock up on these outfits so i look badass after the apocalypse

chainmail canned drink tabs

-Christopher Nemeth and LV's homage (although the compatibility of the ethos of each is questionable)
-Margiela
-Greg Lauren
-Tobias Wistisen (jewelry designer)
-By Walid (maybe)
True found-object designers are hard to find, but fabric de/reconstruction is "in" right now.
>It also needs some political commentary bullshit
>forcibly injecting political commentary into design
why did you take the class senpai

Please post, relevant images keep an imageboard running.

I'm also an art student and strongly recommend you to stop doing anything with that kind of attitude, so ignorance. I hope you get a bad critic, sorry not sorry.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of these pieces

Just an idea, but maybe try incorporating some vintage furs?

It could count as a commentary on the ethics of wearing furs at all vs recycling, plus fur looks p cool.

I have some artisanal pieces but nothing so outlandish as these pieces. These pieces have maybe 5-6 in existence

>filename
a friend of mine worked for him
for them to source the old clothes is super difficult because of how dedicated his to his vision
they pay a crazy amount, cut it up and throw away a lot of the clothes just to make his 1 design
super expensive process, plus manufacturing in la
my friend said greg even uses washhouses unnecessarily

a ton of that markup is to cover overhead costs apparently, and the retail stores mark it up more than usual because of how niche it is, they buy little an try to make as much as possible

your pic is also greg lauren by the way

Despite his seemingly incurable Jewishness and visage worthy of the envy of jealous naysayers everywhere, he's tapped into something really meaningful with his work, which is why he is capable of selling sewn rags for exorbitant prices. Mr. Lauren's vision seems to me to be nothing less than his interpretation of American cultural values revamped for the twenty-first century: a strong militaristic influence is (literally) built into the very fabric of his clothing; the patches and stitches and mismatched fabrics speak subtly to a country of people from all parts of the world synthesizing beneath the banner of utilitarianism. However, his old-yet-new-yet-old designs also hint at a duller facet of his paradigm: the suggestion that America is clutching desperately to an outdated ideal of what it means to be American. We hold in our minds an outline of what we still believe ourselves to be, but upon closer examination cracks are mended, holes are filled, and entire sections turn out to be completely different than the original. Is Lauren saying that despite our imperfections, we are still good ol' America? Or do we put up a front of cultural unity but in reality we're falling apart at the seams? I have no idea, but I think he's one of the most interesting designers to come on the scene in the past few years.

That's understandable. I read that he runs over some of his fabrics with trucks too!

lol was that a joke?

and also, your interpretation of his designs could not be further from the truth

he is the other side of the coin of masculinity that hedi based his career on

greg's entire shtick is questioning masculinity because of how he was raised--under his uncle's image of what a strong, american man is

that's why you see these very typical manly items deconstructed
the reason why they use army tens, military mail bags, luggage bags, workwear denim

one of his latest collections had sketches of batman and superman questions why we accept that they are heroes

it's him examining what he was taught all his life in regards to being a man
questioning why those traits attribute to being a man
questioning why he accepted those as being characteristics of masculinity

all while being cheeky and using a loose silhouette (compared to hedi's)
using military materials
using traditional tailoring fabrics like herringbone
literally writing on his clothes "what is masculinity"

I quit literally found this dope jacket on the ground. Thank you earth for your bounty

i think you misunderstood his post

I was simply searching for cultural reasons why his particular interpretation of masculinity has taken off, rather than trying to define his inspiration. I appreciate your insights.

Again, though, I would argue that it comes back to (or shows as a symptom of) a decaying collective ideal of quintessential Americana. Men in search of the modern "accepted" version of masculinity latch on to his designs as an indicator of a like mind.

>It also needs some political commentary
That comes kinda naturally with found things though, recycling and nature kinda play in to it very fundamentally.

Deepti Barth Suicide Vest

>that filename
kek
I just can't get behind Greg Lauren honestly, it feels so cheap 'artisanal' clothing, even though I don't even know if Greg himself has even ever used that word for his work and even the implication of nepotism just bother me.
It's like he got inspired by all these artisanal designers and japanese visionaries, took the 'flashiest' things from them and watered them down to his stuff. I really want to like him but just don't like what he is doing.

Also knoch made bombers out of japanese mail bags that are really cool

knoch was one of the good ones :(

He still is, he just doesn't post here anymore understandably

Every time he'd post there would be 15 replies about how stupid he looked, people saying his fit was trash, overpriced, etc. But this dude looked on point almost every time, succeeding in making an outfit completely unique to him(which is awesome!!!), and his face/hair aesthetics are 10/10 imo.

But then you go look at the WAYWT and it's all

Just do a dildo suit OP

Not sure what attitude you are speaking about, but you seem a bit pretentious desu

I'm not against it entirely but yes it just kind of adds another level of complication to whatever i'm gonna go for

tyvm for the references! i actually really enjoy the class, i'm just pretty apolitical and adding that part into the assignment made me roll my eyes a bit, probably gonna

That's a really great analysis senpai, I will definitely be looking to greg lauren for some inspiration

Honestly I would create something like this in a heartbeat if i wasn't afraid of slicing my nips off, or slicing my fingers off in the process of making it, amazing piece.

something like this i could do, I'm thinking a bomber or parka wouldn't be too hard, and something like Japanese mail bags i could maybe get my hands on.

cool so ur just gonna literally rip off someone else's idea and submit it as your work for an assignment?

not really surprising t b h

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

Also Galliano (for Margiela) made a dress out of literal potato sacks

>"apolitical"
>shamelessly copying other's work

i can just picture you now, a scrawny faggot with greasy hair and acne

not even the OP, hombre

>shamelessly copying other's work
m8 that in itself is political statement if you don't lie about it

Is this pretentious boy again or different user? I wasn't going to steal his design, I don't have access to japanese mail bags, but something of similar material maybe, and I could incorporate similar materials into my design. If you're the same user from earlier you should step off your high horse b u d

you captured me to a T, forgot about the babyface and neckbeard tho, thx

OP here, gonna post some issey miyake even though i'm not sure if his fashion fits the category, but i love the way he plays with geometry and eye trickery

ctrl+f: fecal matter
no result