Resume Thread

Post your resume up for review.

Details on mine:
I've applied for over 20 Financial analysis internships and wealth management internships over the course of the last 4 months. What am I doing wrong Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

clarkson.edu/writingcenter/senior_CS_resume.html
theworknumber.com/Employees/DataReport/report_request.pdf
news.clearancejobs.com/2012/06/11/how-to-highlight-your-security-cleared-skills-on-your-resume-without-revealing-classified-information/
myusf.usfca.edu/sites/default/files/CSC_Finance_Resume_Revised_7.21.15.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is no contact information, and your name is stupid.

How are people supposed to call you back if you don't give them a phone number Name Name?

First of all, are you networking with the companies you apply for? Your resume is definitely not going to grab any attention bro. And your only real shot at even getting an interview is if you know somebody somewhere that has never seen it. I hope you're pretty fucking excellent at microsoft excel if youre going to mention it 3 times. A skills and interests section only means you lack experience that you would otherwise state. Unless your GPA is absolute garbage, someone reading your resume is going to assume that it is if you dont put it on there. Find a list of action verbs and start every line on your resume with one of those. If youre looking for a finance role put a hell of a lot more emphasis on items that are related to that. Last, nobody gives a shit if youre proficient in social media, so is my grandmother.

Also I'm guessing that if you are graduating in 2018 youre a sophomore. Don't stress getting an internship this year user, most are reserved for juniors or older in the first place. Focus on getting involved in something you can put on your resume in the meantime. join a professional organization or study abroad or find a part time job this summer. do anything thats gonna fill all the white space you have in your resume

your format isn't very good. this type of format is better: clarkson.edu/writingcenter/senior_CS_resume.html

you might say "i don't have enough stuff to fill that type of format". well, get more. do clubs or personal investing or get a part time job. something.

also, seven bullets with no actual data is horseshit for your first experience listing. you're a student, i expect this company is BS unless you show me data to the contrary. use numbers, not buzzwords.

if you've only applied for 20 in the last 4 months, that ain't shit. chances are that a lot of your apps went into companies that were hella selective or were not really looking for applicants any more.

come back when you've applied for 200 jobs, not 20. oh, and start applying for jobs earlier next year.

>resume says: pilot, photographer, mechanic, social media, graphic design
>Hurr durr why do ya think I didn't get this wealth management job?
Well, for starters, Quickbooks isn't a "filing ststem", it's double entry accounting software.

How important is leadership roles in student organisations anyway? I have never had an interest in being a 'leader' for a shitty student club or anything, but I also don't want to become a manager. Most of the leaders do nothing anyway, and only host events such as pub nights or random meetings, which I believe add no value to a person.

Even worse, I know of two classmates that started an Accounting & Finance club last semester, and created a logo and facebook group and all that, and then not host a single thing, not even a general meeting for the members. Yes, it looks a bit prestigious for potential employers to see that you're the president of a finance society, but it's basically a ghost title.

I'd say the leadership positions in student organizations are much more about the initiative and effort involved than it is about the work experience you gain. Also, employers can only believe you so much when you talk about how great you are, but if your peers are willing to elect you to certain positions, they do some of the talking for you. Organizations are big for networking and gaining social skills.

And listen, I was at least somewhat constructive with the resume advice but your attitude is what is going to keep you from ever finding a job. You can either join something and fill some of the blank space on your resume or you can sit in your dorm room alone on saturday nights wondering why the guys in the shitty organization on a bar crawl have job offers when you dont.

kek

> Looking for an HR job

I'm OP not that guy. Thanks for the criticism guys. I currently trade with Robinhood and I'm really interested in finance, but as you guys have pointed out, most of my experience is in other fields no where close to finance.

I've talked with a classmate and we're going to try and open a Finance club on campus, which I think will let the potential employer know that although I don't have much experience in finance, the interest is there.

Currently changing the format to something better. Thanks for the advice

Also going on the company being BS, while I agree it wasn't a huge company, I did manage to sell 200 units totaling to a bit over $30,000. Given that's some of my only experience, I thought it was at least noteworthy.

This is one of my biggest problems currently. I have experience elsewhere, but none in finance. I'm trying to pull things from my experience that may connect with finance however, its more difficult than it sounds.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

selling $30,000 sounds a hell of a lot better than "200 units". for all i know, you could be selling fucking pine scented air fresheners for $2 a pop. citing specific data (or as specific as you can so we still know you're real) is vital.

OP, what type of school you at? like community, state, private, or top tier?

University of San Francisco holding a 3.6ish GPA

What do employers value the most? Leadership positions of student societies, or relevant part-time jobs?

If you're serious about the finance organization look into starting a student run investment fund. If you get a competent professor to advise the org, you have a good chance of getting a grant from your college to get you up and running. I'm at a very poorly funded university but the investment fund but a couple of jackasses and a decent professor were able to get a legitimate operation going with a pretty small sum of money. Something like that is gonna give you some awesome experience and being the one who got the organization going will look stellar.

As a fellow finance guy about to graduate with an awesome job I somehow weaseled myself into. I wish you the best of luck and can only hope the same for you.

Because probably the only companies you've been applying for were Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, and the like.

Thats pretty subjective and all about how you swing it. It would really come down to the job you're applying for and the relevance of either to that job.

In my personal experience, when I interviewed pre summer internship, the only part time work I had listed was never discussed and interviewers wanted to know more about the organizations I was in. Post internship, I had an interviewer straight up tell me to take it off of my resume.

I do know for a fact though that if you score an interview for an internship or a starting job out of college you're likely as qualified as you need to be. At that point getting the job will come down to how likable you are and how well you can hold a conversation.

Get that GPA on there to decimal places nigga. why would you hide that?

that's pretty good, but not going to get you in by itself. gpa is good enough for you to put it on there, though.

when it comes to finance, it's all about knowing people. you still need to meet bars with being competent, but what gets you an interview is knowing people. then the thing that gets you through an interview is being smart and likable.

if you haven't started getting involved with financial organizations on campus, or professors who know people in industry or something, you should definitely do that. recommendations from peers or acquaintances pushes you through the process like nothing else.

also, starting this finance club that everyone's talking about would be a pretty good idea. it'll probably get you a lot of good experience and connections, so long as you are good at reaching out to people.

yes

this man is right

>GPA
>GPA
>GPA
Leave it off. 90% of the resumes I look at do not have GPA. Most managers won't even ask for it, they know good grades do not translate to actual experience. Once you're a couple years out of college, nobody puts GPA on their resume anymore, they've learned better.

>tfw if I word my resume incorrectly it could cost me the phone call

>t. a faggot with a shitty GPA

oh snap, we got hecklers on biz.

Absolutely not true. Any company that receives a large number of applicants, send their resumes through an automated screening that will pick out relevant information such as major, grad date and GPA and will automatically remove the candidates that don't qualify and the ones with the worst grades just to simply make sifting the number of resumes easier for a hiring manager.

and when you don't have a ton of work experience yet like most internship applicants, your GPA is a reflection of your work ethic and essentially is your experience.

dont listen to this guy. even if he is right, whats the harm in being the 10% of applicants who does put GPA on their resume. its not negatively impacting it by any means

>being a 10%er
yeah, well fuck you!! feel teh bern!!

ehh really weak experience

US version

Australia 2 page version

Note that the automated screening often includes an automated background check.

If you keep being turned down for jobs, you might have something in your records. Maybe someone was working under a made-up SSN, and was fired for being drunk on a job site?

Send in this form, and once a year, you can get a copy of what Equifax is telling people about your work history: theworknumber.com/Employees/DataReport/report_request.pdf

For starters, you need to make 2 resumes.

1 for someone who actually gives a rats ass about your capabilities in the job function.

1 for companies that have anyone with "H.R." in their title.

First one, focus on experience.

Second one, juice it up with hyperbole, bullshit, and whatever else you want because H.R. is reading your application and they don't have a fucking clue what your job requirements are, they'll care more about maintaining a $1,000 certification than your ability to perform your job.

This is only slightly related, but I've been offered a position starting in 4 weeks. It has been confirmed via both telephone and email. I still have some other interviews coming up in the meantime, should I attend or decline them?

The job I've been offered is by far the best, so it's unlikely anyone would propose me a better deal, I just wonder whether I can take granted job I've been confirmed?

Interview anyway. Maybe they'll offer you a job paying higher so you can use it as leverage. Or worst case scenario you have a backup

Thanks, the backup thing is sure good, although the money isn't an issue - my interview tomorrow is for a 3 months project work, the one I've been accepted to is a 1 year internship (both at good firms), so the latter is definitely a better deal.

Everyone always gave me shit when it was a page and a half, so I made a one page version for you cucks.

Congrats on being exceptionally good at repeating yourself.

Dude who got chewed out last time here.
L is old one, R is newer.

What's the best way to mention that I have a top secret clearance on my resume?

Also is it bad to mention military service on a resume? I'm in the national guard and that's how I got my clearance.

This was my original that I posted in another thread..

And this was my updated after someone gave me a few suggestions. How does it look now?

the education and work experience look messy. format it better.

Here's my edited version of my resume. Any final input before I start applying to big-boy jobs?

Where's a good place to go to format a resume, or learn to build one yourself? Gonna be applying for a state/county job soon and I haven't even touched a resume since we made one in high school for econ class.

r8.h8

Google "resume+templates" and choose a template to reformat the resume.
Less is more. Remove anything that's redundant or repetitious.
Do not use two columns.
Do not use dotted lines
Do not center justify, use left justify, instead
Do not use "-ing" form of verb. Input instead of inputting. Talk instead of talking.
Do not write "Duties" - it's redundant
Do not capitalize the Public (under Surveyor)
Do not say "actually listening to people's opinions" -- that whole section needs rewrite.
Delete the entire "About Me" section and replace with Objective Statement
The objective statement should be clear and concise and list 3 things:
1. Job Type (ie., Accountant, Electrical Engineer)
2. Industry (i.e., Retail, Banking, Insurance)
3. Geography (i.e., Pacific Northwest, Oregon, Portland metro area)
Examples:
>Seeking an entry level staff accountant position with a public accounting firm in Texas.
>Seeking an entry level management trainee position with a large retailer in the New York City metropolitan area.
>Seeking an entry level reporter position with a major news daily. Open to relocation and will pay own re-location expenses.

>It’s perfectly okay to specify that you have a clearance, as well as clearance type. It’s also okay to list polygraph information and dates on your resume, according to intelligence agency resume guidelines, including those provided by the National Security Agency. (The Department of Labor even encourages individuals to list their security clearance on their resume).
news.clearancejobs.com/2012/06/11/how-to-highlight-your-security-cleared-skills-on-your-resume-without-revealing-classified-information/

How would you fix this so I can get an HR or Data Analyst job?

>still looks shitty
you need a good resume template, this looks like it was written in notepad.
no offense, just being brutally honest because I believe in you, user.

>"traveling food truck business"
that's redundant, have you ever heard of a non-traveling food truck business? If I were you, I would replace "food truck business" with mobile restaurant and catering service.

Is this a cute attempt to be clever and humorous? It screams lazy and fail. You need to put your heart and soul into it.

A screenshot off your phone is not suitable.
You need to professionally format your resume. I suggest you google "resume+template" to find a template for MS Word or whatever program you use, and then rewrite the whole resume from scratch because it currently looks like you put very little effort into it.

RE: HR or Data Analyst job
Important, you need an objective statement at the top.
The objective statement should be clear and concise and list 3 things:
1. Job Type (ie., Accountant, Electrical Engineer)
2. Industry (i.e., Retail, Banking, Insurance)
3. Geography (i.e., Pacific Northwest, Oregon, Portland metro area)
Examples:
>Seeking an entry level staff accountant position with a public accounting firm in Texas.
>Seeking an entry level management trainee position with a large retailer in the New York City metropolitan area.
>Seeking an entry level reporter position with a major news daily. Open to relocation and will pay own re-location expenses.

Good tip. And the formatting looks shit because I had to email it to my phone, looks great in word. Anything you'd take out? Any skills I should add?

post a screenshot in Word so we can see the formatting.

I really like your corrections.
Mind telling me how you became so good at correcting/writing CVs?

also noticed under Direct Support Professional, where it says "communicated with clients", you should remove the word "clients" altogether because it's not necessary and there are too many repetitions of the word "clients" on your resume.
You want to beware that you don't repeat the same words. Use a thesaurus if you need help finding synonyms.

>check 'em
Appreciate the nice words, user.
I work with small businesses in a town with several universities (Orlando, FL), so I've seen a ton of resumes, particularly college students and recent grads. I pay attention to what employers like, as well as their pet peeves.

You've got to get rid of "Entrepreneur", replace it with Sole Proprietor. The only people allowed to say entrepreneur are either rappers or French. Everyone else says business owner or sole proprietor.

Is it cert or certification

im in hs and my resume is better than urs. ur missing ur gpa and work experience and awards and internships.

Certification is best choice.
Don't use Cert. or other abbreviations.

Whelp, I got an email back from one place saying that they just filled their paid internship position however, they have a non paid position available, and if I'm interested in it to email them back...

sounds like they pulled the ol' bait n' switch on you

Thanks m8

Any specific template that you'd reccomend? I appreciate the help, thanks

just fuck me up, got rejected from a networking dinner the other day.

That's a horrible format. Do something like this:
myusf.usfca.edu/sites/default/files/CSC_Finance_Resume_Revised_7.21.15.pdf

You niggers need to learn how to LaTeX

Pls help, sent out 100s of applications

Personal section is unnecessary, applications or the interview will usually ask for that stuff. The profile and key skills sections are collectively too long. Either shorten one considerably or cut a little from each.

avoid fancy and colorful, just stick to simple and easy-to-read.
Do a google image search for resume template and go with your gut instinct.

In most cases being the 'leader' of a student club is retarded - almost every student club i've been a part of has just been a social/lets get drunk club with very little actual value, and i've seen two individual cases where the president has typically been a figurehead for the hard work of the other committee members - doing nothing themselves but getting all the credit. An unfortunate circumstance. Regardless because employers desire it, you will want to be a committee member in some capacity, and if you can start your own ''club" and make yourself president and then just make a facebook page and linkedin page and get some likes etc. to give it legitimacy they probably wont know any better,

chasing quick thoughts - I had to blank so much out - I think some of this sounds too wanky/non specific, any thoughts on how to best word this/any other comments or criticism?

The actual resume is 3 pages (normal for here to be anywhere from 2-5 pages), but this is the moneyshot make it or break it page so I want it to be perfect.

Also - do you guys put 'goals' or 'objectives' into your resumes where you talk about yourself and what you want? I feel like it should be saved for the cover letter but I see it in a lot of resumes.

Anyone have any tips for my resume? I've applied to many entry-level accountant/analyst positions; no call-backs.
I've even started to apply to shitty-tier jobs like AR/AP/Clerk; also no call-backs.

The three jobs were all part of the same rotational program with one of the top banks in the USA; I thought that experience would be attractive but I guess not.

Should I just join the army and hope some arab kills me?

Some top companies only recruit from top schools. It seriously depends on which school you are going to.

Should I ever put cum laude in my resume?

Work on the format, first. Then tackle the content after format is complete.
suggestions:
- google "free+resume+template" and choose a template without horizontal line separators.
- discard all of your bullet points. we'll add a few back after reformat.
- remove high school information, it's irrelevant because you're in college.
- don't abbreviate, discard all the (PT) (FT) and (Contract)
- don't double space between lines.
- increase font size
- ADD margins - there should be lots of white space on both sides.

>actual resume is 3 pages

>put 'goals' or 'objectives' into your resumes where you talk about yourself and what you want?
Write a clear, concise Objective Statement -- I explained here and gave examples:

Noted, but wouldn't FT/PT be necessary? Surely they want to know if you've worked full time or not.
I'm aware this is fairly unusual for eg. Americans, but in Australia it would be very rare to see a one page resume.

>Nobody will try to figure out which jobs to match what's on your resume. You have to tell them.
>Needs objective statement clearly stating job you want, industry,
and geographic location.
Example: OBJECTIVE: seeking entry level loan originator position with a commercial bank in Key West.

What's your favorite meal, user? I like steak, you like steak, too? Ever go to a fancy restaurant and order an expensive steak, like a New York Strip or a Prime Rib? Perhaps a Filet Mignon?
When that waiter brings that sizzling platter out to your table, you don't care if the cook is PT or FT, you just want him to know how to cook the hell out of a steak so that it melts in your mouth like butter.
See my point?
>inb4 user's a vegetarian

thank you

If my whole resume is in Times New Roman will employers think I'm a pleb that can't into computers? I don't want to use a font that would possibly not display properly on whatever machine they're using

>no summary at the top
this would go into the trash right away because I can't be bothered to read it for more than 10 sec trying to figure out what you are when I have 50 other resumes to look at.

Anyone here ever lie on a resume?

I worked at a company for 1 year and 8 months, Left for a year for school, and returned for 6 months to help them with setting up a new contract they acquired, and left again to go back to school.

It's been 2 years since I worked at that company and I'm working somewhere else currently.

What would happen if I lie on my resume to hide the 1 year gap, let's say a future employer finds my resume and is interested, would they find out about my gap in an employment/background check?

could "Objective" be considered a summary? as in something like "seeking opportunities in bla bla bla field in a such and such environment"

So I had a year long internship at an IT company and my job title was PMO Analyst, but I really want a PMO Analyst. I was basically just helping them with whatever initiatives they were doing at the time.

What should I list this as on my CV? Pick a name which would better represent my responsibilities or maybe just put 'Internship'?

>but I really want

But I really wasn't*

What do you think? They probably wouldn't hire you.

some of the experts claim Times New Roman is too common, they recommend Georgia and Tahoma, instead.
I disagree. Every automated program recognizes Times New Roman, so that's the best reason to use it.

why is your current job in past tense?

>I worked at a company for 1 year and 8 months, Left for a year for school, and returned for 6 months to help them with setting up a new contract they acquired, and left again to go back to school.

Why would you lie when the truth sounds better?
Pro Tip: returning to school to enhance your skill set and acquire new skills makes you a more valuable candidate.

and where are your action words? "helped"? how about assisted or coordinated instead

>photoshop
lol nice touch