Starting a clothing brand soon

I got the ok from my bank for a loan of 4,000 dollars and Im looking to start an actual clothing and sneaker line.

What are some of fa's suggestions for making this startup a competitor of global brands like Nike or Adidas.

Other urls found in this thread:

uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms
youtube.com/watch?v=U8p7Gll0HNE&index=4&list=PL6DX41bIJmgveUVETAV2EHo6-dzq1chbJ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't print meme messages and graphics on hoodies/tees. You aren't going to be a competitor of brands you mentioned anytime soon (and why would you want to be anyway?), so focus on the aspects they lack such as interesting cuts, material and stitching quality. Once you have it set up, shill yourself here and other pseudo-fashion shitholes to generate hype.

Produce as much as you can locally and capitalise on that ("100% MADE IN MURRICA", etc...).

You probably cant do a lot with 4 grand desu. T shirts or hoodies with some cool little drawing or writing is your best bet, then build off those profits

go to alibaba and find a manufacturer preferably from eastern Europe there.

Did your stupid ass just borrow $4000 with no plan?

These.

user, do you at least know what kind of clothing you want to make?

I wanted to do a street brand that pushes the envolope and creates very iconic and original pieces. I have the brand name down and have designs I have came up with in paper and sketch form to work with.

>this startup a competitor of global brands like Nike or Adidas.
wow, the fact you think you can challenge them is enough to know youre doomed to fail

your best bet is targetting a small niche.

ya you're fucked

>street wear that pushes the envelope
what are some ideas youve had that can achieve this, also can u post some of the sketch designs? As someone who's also starting a lil thing im genuinely curious

Dont listen to this negative nancy, aim high score high. The only way you can achieve what you want is being dedicated and having ambitions m'dude. Good luck

retarded advice. what i said wasnt negative, it was realistic. i gave him a realistic option

one person with 4k cant challenge a multi billion dollar company with the best employees in the industry

Yo I ain't noe shit about distribution channels, import and export laws, project management, advertising campaigns, supply side economics, production, and I don't even know what tolerance build up is.

But this shit right here

This shit right here

Is going to push the fucking envelope

All I need is a $4000 pay day Advance and my grandma's 86 cutlass supreme as the only company assets you.

Fuck day MBA shyyyytttttt

I ain't even know what the board of equalization is or does...Even though image envelop pushin dope ass business owner of the illest and sickest streetwear ya herd

your argument was literally "theyre big ur small haha faggot." that's not realistic that's just outright saying you can never achieve that. he could if he really had the drive to though I think what he's really after is just the popularity of something like nike and adidas. I agree that aiming at a small niche would most likely benefit more.

I'd suggest having a set target market in mind and then create around that

$4000 buys how much raw material?

$4000 buys how much labor

$4000 buys how much product

$4000 worth of product won't even get you into 1 sneaker store.

Don't believe me?

Go up to footlocker.

And tell them you have an opportunity for them, projected sales of up to $4000 in a retail environment and a opportunity to reorder if you can scrape enough funding for another product run...

They're going to wonder why you're wasting everyone's time

To put that in perspective.

This kid wants to start a brand for less than what I spent on my road bicycle

targetting a small niche IS realistic.

competing with fucking adidas or nike is NOT realistic because the chances of success is insanely low.

lets assume he does have drive. guess what? nike and adidas is full of people with insane levels of amibition and talent. they only accept the best in the industry.

>pushes the envelope

1 thousand dollars is what it costs to get a business license in california

now you're at 3 thousand dollars
basic shopify is 29 a month, so 348 on your website
10 dollars for a domain

now you're at $2642

now let's say you're making a sample for 1 t shirt, 1 button down, 1 jacket, and 1 bottom

labor for the t shirt sample is around $90 if you have connections
the button down is around $115
the jacket is around $175
and the bottoms around $210

now you have $2052, and that didnt include the price of fabric which on the low end would be about 10.25 yards for all the styles and an average price of $8/yd, and that's being nice since you can't get it at wholesale

now you're at $1970

freelance pattern makers charge $40/hr, and to make those 4 styles is probably at the lowest 8 hours, so $320

now you're at $1650

i wont include washhouse prices since with this budget, whatever color fabric you can get is your best bet

i'll stop the math right there assuming you can take product shots yourself

now you've got 4 samples that you havent paid a fit model to try on yet, that you havent made pattern adjustments to yet, and you've only got $1650 to do the whole process again 2-3 times until the fit is right

and at this point you NEED to sell by pre order, and you need to get each style 100 orders in order for you to be in the smallest factory in the area and reach their minimum, and again, this is being nice since minimums are usually 250 units/style

not OP but this was pretty eye-opening thanks for posting

Oh yeah he's going to pushing an envelope alright...Filled with the following forms....Across his lawyers desk

uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms

Dude fucking Nike. You know...NIKE was launched as a damn side project and retailed other companies shoews before even making their own. They sold their shit out of damn car trunks.

You think someone with 4000 dollars a vision and a sense of will to make something popular cant do it?

If I want to venture into the sports field that Nike and Adidas both control. It is possible if I hit small spots and promote my products correctly. Sponsor school teams to wear my brand, find and use social media to attract buzz for it. There is numerous ways to go about getting to the top as big as the large players in the industry

Wow that little league baseball team of all white kids is wearing NEET brand sportswear

I should too!!!

Oh wait looks like his shit is on perpetual backorder since his brand had 0 cashflow

Cool. So the next things you need to do are
Find someone to make this shit. Maybe not all of it at once, because eventually you're going to be a huge deal but right now you're focusing on selling out 1 or two products. Pic one or two designs you're really excited about and get some Alibaba quotes for how much it will take to make them.

Some other questions to answer (from an asshole marketing person)

Who is the person who is most likely to buy your item? Where do they hang out online? When deciding what to buy, where do they look for reviews, who are they taking inspiration from?

If possible, identify some people in online communities who are frequent contributors and tend to buy things early on in the trend cycle- before they become a meme. Make a list of those people. Take out a handful of the most obvious/famous people or the most obnoxious.

You want to take a small amount of your first product and give it to that group of people just before it's released.

>There is numerous ways to go about getting to the top as big as the large players in the industry
name one brand close to nike or adidas that was established in the last 10 years. both were established several decades years ago before the market was saturated. you are legit retarded if you think he has a good chance of success. his chances are slim to none, even if hes talented and ambitious

Depending on where you live, you may not need a business license at first.

Also, OP probably has no chance if he doesn't do the pattern making and everything himself.

>Also, OP probably has no chance if he doesn't do the pattern making and everything himself.
this was my intent in breaking everything down
people won't listen if you just state that they need to be skilled in all aspects, they dismiss you as a "hater"

Supra was launched and hit home with popularity and was bought by kswiss. The facts are YES NIKE AND ADIDAS has majority market control over sports bound clothing and shoe wear but that doesnt mean some new player can easily dethrown or join them if the creator is talented, innovative and can get people on board to join and even get investors shareholders to promote hype around their products.

To simply say its impossible dont even try or its highly unlikely is an understatement to someone who can be just as key to a new movement in the sports industry as Henry Ford was to Cars

I actually really hope OP succeeds in becoming popular, He should hook up with some people in /cgl/ or who run etsy shops if he doesn't already know much about this. The more he can produce items himself without manufacturing, at least at first, the better.

>supra

lol you should really stop posting

and OP, you're doomed to fail. no one wants your /r/streetwear garbage

>cant refute
>be negative

>if you don't support my delusion you're being negative
topkek

Dude youre a consumer

but i'm not
nice deflection
i do hope you can pay back your loan tho

>You think someone with 4000 dollars a vision and a sense of will to make something popular cant do it?
OP doesn't have vision
and he's a faggot so he probably lacks will too

>best employees in the industry
Lol @ this ad homienem normie wageslave logical fallacy argument probably made by a 12 year old who wants to enjoy some cuddle time with his "qt" mother. Enjoy being an uneducated moron. (Jk, please enlighten yourself before putting others down)

Go for it user, utilize alibaba. Spend most, if not, all of your profits on marketing.

People do not know what they want and don't care. They want to be coddled by the fact that some kid that's "into" sneakers and has a degree is designing their shoes to justify the massive amounts of cash that they spend on sneakers. This consumerist zombie is a prime example of that.

You ARE retarded for taking out a loan. Stop and save up before you fuck yourself with Big Ben covered in hot sauce/ghost pepper extract.

A little can grow into a lot. Saturated markets have thier come ups. Uber: taxis - lol dat wilz nuvah werk nudda shoa! I strongly dislike people like you. Go be a doctor you heathen.

I'm not the other guy but:
The loan was a stupid idea but you lost the argument. Embarrassing at that. I hope god has mercy on your soul so you may understand how out of touch you are from reality.

you are getting a loan for this? just save up. why would you post this on Veeky Forums, also. what do you expect, posting a thread about how you are going to make a crazy streetwear brand.

If he makes the 4k himself then maybe. If he stops jacking off and procrastinating then it's likely. If he does all three and learns how to program/market/organize and exercises then it's very likely. If he does all and begs to God that he becomes a billionaire then you have an 87% chance. This is assuming you know how to get cheap shoes from China and dodge taxes.

The shoe design and gimmicks are an afterthought. Get the groundwork done and you'll be successful senpai.

and im not the guy he originally argued with, my posts are (, , , )

so how could i lose an argument that i wasn't in?

1. its not an ad hominem, learn the definition before you use it
2. is it so hard to understand that leading companies have access to the best employees you fucking retard?

go invest in OP's company then, if you believe in him so much. youll surely make a lot of money (fucking lol). you hate people like me, who give people realistic advice? why do you people want to bankrupt this kid so bad.

>87% chance
87% chance a kid with no vision and a 4k loan can make a company to rival nike and adidas
LOL

OP you should make a gofundme page or something. a lot of fucking retards in here believe in you for some insane, unknown reason

thats one successful company vs a million other people who were in similar spot as OP is now

the odds are extremely low for OP, as ive been saying. i didnt say its impossible. its possible. its also possible OP will cure cancer and start a breakaway civilization on the moon. but all three possibilities are very unlikely

The lack of research you have made before jumping into this endeavor is indicative of a person who jumps into things before really having a grasp of what they are trying to accomplish. You truly are destined to failure if you do not do the most basic level or research first. You have the internet and there are actual thousands of resources more useful than pissing into the ocean of piss that is Veeky Forums. If you are serious about trying to get something together you really need to learn more about the business of fashion in general. I would highly recommend a youtube series on this exact topic. So watch this videos very diligently and then ask yourself again if you realistically have the means to do what you wish to accomplish. youtube.com/watch?v=U8p7Gll0HNE&index=4&list=PL6DX41bIJmgveUVETAV2EHo6-dzq1chbJ

Here is your reality check.

More than 90% of fashion startups fail in the first 3-5 years.

you have no idea then

Im working in the shoe manufacturing business and can get you reliable contacts in Asia but I will charge and they won't produce under around a couple thousand pairs. Prices are between 3,5€ and 15€ for a pair of sneakers depending on the quality. You can sell them for around 50€. Interested?

This includes shipping FOB but you will need a delivery service from there. Cargo is handled in Xiamen. There will be no returns and waste is around 2%. Your trade calculation would be around 350%

You have an email? Id love to get in contact

They fail because they try and reinvent the wheel and try to do the same shit over and over. People who are innovative in the fashion industry always go farther than the clowns who just "make a clothing brand".

Marc Echo didnt need youtube to make a successful brand

>$4000

did he say that right?
did he mean to say 40k instead?
is this not in europe/us?
what kind of banks would bother to lend such a small amount? because interest rates would barely cover the fees

and to get approved, you need some sort of convincing business plan, otherwise they wouldn't even give you an appointment, but so far op has only shown as little as "i have these amazing designs and my products will be different"

so many questions

i think op is trolling

With $4k you could probably run a really small niche brand on your own as a side project if you actually knew how to sew well and make your own (good) patterns. Not something you could quit your day job for but at least you could pursue your interests.

Its a laughable amount of money if you're looking to pay other people throughout the whole process. You're very naive about the business and manufacturing side of fashion.

>4000
Maybe start with graphic t-shirts that don't suck (no edgy slogans, no obscure art, no vaporwaresque bs and so on). There isn't really anything else you could do with 4000$.