"Jobs Anyone Can Do" Myth

Why do we as a society act like jobs working at mcdonalds (or other fast food) or wal-mart (or other retail) are the kind of jobs that "any idiot can do" ? I mean I have really bad anxiety problems and there's no chance in hell I'd be able to handle the stress of that dealing with customers and shit all the time. Should we all just admit that there is no such thing as a job that anyone can do?

If it was a stupid job then how does it intend to, conform to, etc? We are not the melatonin of our jobs today this is the future user

By definition, with or without your anxiety, you "can" do it
you just choose not to because you are letting anxiety control you

>I mean I have really bad anxiety problems and there's no chance in hell I'd be able to handle the stress of that dealing with customers and shit all the time

I don't really see how you would be able to function in adult life if you're unable to work a fucking McDonalds job.

What? Are you going to avoid going to the bankteller because "Muh anxiety"? Literally everything in life requires social interaction.

I would really like to see the kind of person who cannot work a job as a mcdonalds cashier. He must be all sorts of fucked up.

Explain to me, when you're talking to a cute girl, does your anxiety start acting up as well? What about when meeting new people? How the fuck do you even live you fucking /r9k/ zeta

>What? Are you going to avoid going to the bankteller because "Muh anxiety"? Literally everything in life requires social interaction.

Not the same as being the bank teller dealing with multiple people one after the other

Obviously you don't know what having anxiety is like.

Get over it cupcake.

If you can't work at McDonalds then get used to living with your parents until they die and then tryign to get the government to foot the bill

It isn't something you can just get over, would you want your bank teller to be a nervous wreck? No you wouldn't you'd want them to be fired with your attitude.

>I mean I have really bad anxiety problems
Anyone could do fast food or retail you're some weirdo faggot claiming to be too anxious to do it.
Because "you" feel that you can't do a job doesn't mean everyone else can't. I saw a fucking stocker with Down's at the target the other day. Down's fucking Syndrome stocking selves with zero help. But you want to sit where ever you are and mope about "muh anxiety" self diagnosis. If you can't do a simple job, a job a retard could do, then it's something wrong with you. Not with the statement, not the assumption, you.1

I never said everyone else couldn't I'm saying there's no such thing as a job that take any living person on the planet, stick them in it and they can do it.

>It isn't something you can just get over, would you want your bank teller to be a nervous wreck?

Explain. What exactly is so worrying to you about saying "Hello! Welcome to McDonalds! what would you like to order sir? ... Is that all? Ok your order will be ready in a moment, your total is $x.xx" Then you count the change and hand them their order.

Is that difficult to you? Which step is worrying you?

If you are incapable of doing this I don't see how you have any friends, a girlfriend, go to University or anything else which is normally considered part of normal life.

>Obviously you don't know what having anxiety is like.
Oh fuck off. I've worked with people who had real anxiety issues, ie they've seen a docotr and medical professionals to insure it wasn't them being a huge pussy. They took meds, learned to cope, and they performed just as well. If you really had anxiety you would try to treat it because it's a stifling mental issue but instead you're using it as a crutch and excuse.

Well there's multiple things including actual physical symptoms it's not as easy as it sounds.
Not an excuse it's just those jobs specifically I can't do I could do something else.

Well it's assumed that no human would die to a vending machine, but that shit happens. But it's still common knowledge that a vending machine won't kill you. If you turn out to be the retarded getting killed by one, it doesn't turn them into proven human killing machines.

>Well there's multiple things including actual physical symptoms it's not as easy as it sounds.

Explain to me on which step of what I described is troublesome to you.

This is fucking basic part of life. I think your problem is that you are a manchild who has been sheltered his entire life by his overprotective mother(or perhaps mother who feels bad to kick him out) and thus never learned how to be an adult.

Stop being a whiny retard. I bet if your parents kicked you out at 18 you would be totally different. You wouldn't be whining about "Muh social anxiety" you'd be doing shit to things done.

You're a very naive person if you think that. You must be very very young.
There are jobs out there that you can put any person in that job and the can perform the duties needed. Obviously they'll have to learn and adapt but once they do they do just fine Which I think that's your issue. You're afraid of the challenge and the learning.
Fucking people who sell newspapers on the side of the road, sign spinners, concession people at ball parks, floor cleaners, retail stockers, I could name more aren't brain surgery. They take very little learning, very little customer interaction other than talking to them and taking their money.

OP, people in Veeky Forums are too busy making money to have any sympathy for you. Even though I am lying right now you should have known when you posted that not having a "can do" attitude is looked down upon here but being an overly pessimistic asshole isn't. Please lurk more and maybe make a pity thread on /r9k/ where they do a lot better. If you really want to discuss "jobs anyone can do" then that's fine. Big corporate jobs like Walmart have a hiring process and no, not anyone can do them in regards to that. Some people don't have the personality for the job according to their standards, some people are "too smart" for the job. There are a lot of reasons for employers to be selective. In terms of being capable, I think most of the population is and the skill level needed for a job like that is low. That's why they are referred to as "jobs anyone can do".

As far as your situation. If you really needed the money and you were offered a job at wal mart after you applied would you say no even though you were an anxious fucker? would you rather live on the street?

I've had anxiety since elementary school this isn't fucking new.

OP should go to /adv/ too. They'd probably say the same thing we've said but there are more numales and women on that board so there's a good chance they'll coddle him.

Well yeah I just know that I'll never be successful like that always having to go from one job to the next.

You mean you have been a lazy shit since elementary school.

Nope my grades in k-12 were usually pretty good and college average. Not lazy.

Did you see a psychologist?

What have you done to work on your social anxiety?

Fucking lazy retard. If you have trouble, BREAK IT DOWN INTO STEPS AND WORK ON IT.

>I have shitty social skills
>Ok what do I have to do? What can I do presently? Well I guess I say hello to people and ask how their day is. Ok i'll start with that
>My goal: Say hello to 15 people per day and ask how their day is and then work from there

Do that kind of shit idiot. Work on your problem solving. If you're bad at something you don't just abandon it and say "Whatever i'll try to figure out how to avoid it instead of fixing it".

success is something that happens slowly over time, with a lot of investing in yourself. Do something you enjoy and find a way to make it shine. Most people don't have the luxury to choose something they enjoy though. Wal Mart jobs probably won't grant you the level of "success" you wish you had. Ambition is good. The more you fight societal trends and get good at what you want, the more successful you'll be. That's how I see things anyway. ;)

Yeah that's the hard thing finding something you feel you can do and not always be miserable at it when everyone just wants you to "pick anything and shut the fuck up and deal with it" when it's a lot more complicated than that.

>I have really bad anxiety problems and there's no chance in hell I'd be able to handle the stress of that dealing with customers

I for one, am looking forward to the day when payment machines replace fucking cashier monkeys.

I love Japan's small restaurants & their efficient systems.

Why the fuck would any rational business owner pay a fucking disgruntled laborer who hates his work when a machine will happily do the job?

>I mean I have really bad anxiety problems

Get on disability or SSI for depression and anxiety then.

>Yeah that's the hard thing finding something you feel you can do and not always be miserable at it when everyone just wants you to "pick anything and shut the fuck up and deal with it" when it's a lot more complicated than that.

Try killing yourself and hoping you get reborn as someone with good social skills next life

Nah I wouldn't do that, that's basically stealing.

ahahaha, yes, if you are still in college wondering what you want to do collecting debt then... the debt will probably force you into an average working life unless you work extra hard and double time your college education and your passion. If you don't have a passion then maybe start looking. I went through something similar though I was a normal guy. I wanted to be a boxer in college. I boxed for a while (year and a half) then got sick and realized that getting sick wasn't something I could control very well, then got frustrated that I couldn't train any more. I lost my passion for it, decided the pen was stronger than the sword anyway and started web development (had a degree in sociology). Now I want to be an ubernerd and after 3 years of employment am freelancing. Slowly I work more on my skills. My first passion was music though and my tracks were all shitty. I didn't want it bad enough. That's what it comes down to. How bad do you want it? That and finding a balance between other parts of your life in the whole mix if they are important to you. Don't stress about it too much young man.

Are you just going to ignore my suggestion to help you?Have you spoken to a psychologist?

Have you tried working on your anxiety in any way?

I already graduated but even in my IT degree there were specifics inside that that (like programming, web stuff, networks, etc) could never figure out what I wanted and college didn't help me much in that it hardly was hands on even in later years, in a way they lied to me.
Not seen any lately but had in past, I've actually improved some since switching meds and other little things it's gotten a bit better since a year ago. But it's a real slow process everyday. Recently after something happened that I won't get into I had a pretty bad attack though.

like you really have to experience anxiety to understand it. people like you are horrible people. you don't listen and expect everyone to conform to your world view

How convenient. You can just claim to have anxiety and since it can't be proven and you "have to experience it to understand it" it cannot be disproven either.

>I have anxiety mom! sorry can't work! Sustain me while I play WoW all day, sorry... Anxiety!

I actually might get a job tomorrow I just found out job finding place found me an interview! I mean I've done one before so I'm not so scared about that this time.

xanax is a wonderful drug btw
like i could do anything on that drug
without it, i was almost getting into wrecks driving on the highway cause my body would start to shake so bad cause i was freaking out

be a night shift worker. they usually dont require much interaction with the public. A night time security guard will usually have no interaction other than other security guards.

it can be proven
thats why they prescribe medication. cause these medicines were designed to reduce or increase certain chemicals in the head

>it can be proven

How? It's literally just your word, same with "depression".

I can go to a psychiatrist and claim I have severe depression and want to kill myself and there is no way for them to disprove it or differentiate from me lying or not.

It's not like they can take your blood and say "ok you have HIV", it's just whatever you say.

depression is different. different chemicals causing different moods.

what they'll do is talk to you about it see how true it is before giving you drugs and then they'll start prescribing you drugs until they see which mix of drugs has improved you the best.

they wouldn't have these drugs if they weren't targeting specific parts of the brain. we know these things already...

of course physically finding this shit on you is going to cost a fuckton more money and expose you to radiation.

it's a physical response you stupid fuck. you don't "explain" social anxiety any more than you can explain why you'd tense up if a snake or a tiger appeared in front of you. your body reacts automatically

But this isn't true...

I can go to the hospital right now and say I want to kill myself and I have been depressed for weeks and I'm going to hang myself.

There is no way for them to say "No you're not you're just lying".

because if they didn't do anything and you killed yourself they'd be liable.

do you know what liability is?

>people haven't experimented with the brain by injecting it with certain drugs

You must have missed the 80s and the 90s.

Well I've mostly looked at some small warehouse jobs and that's what this interview is. This job seems perfect for me I hope I get it (and actually get to do it last interview I had I got the job but then before starting they changed their minds and didn't hire anybody which screwed me and other people who they said got hired)

>mental illness can't be easily measured therefore it doesn't exist

I honestly would enjoy strangling you to death

>I honestly would enjoy strangling you to death

It's too bad you're incapable of it because your made up "anxiety" prevents you from going to the gym to sign up for a gym membership

Enjoy being a loser and then killing yourself, lmao.

epic troll man. u totally trolled the shit out of me lmao u really got me good.

I see people are shitting on OP, but really, there are probably many successful people out there who literally couldn't do cashier work just from involving way too many random people giving their orders, the standing up, the heat, the quick money exchanges, et cetera. Perhaps "anyone can" do McDonald's but certainly many would get fired.

But really though, if you have such severe anxiety how do you even live?

Do you go outside at all? I don't quite understand this.

you sound like a real piece of shit

real talk. you can get on social security disability benefits but you can guarantee they are going t ocheck up on you to make sure your not out partying and doing things. If you already dont go anywhere because of your problem then this wont be a problem for you. The money might break you out of your self confidence problem though and you will have to get a job if you want to join society ever again. But that would be a good thing for you right? I'm sure you dont actually want to be alone all the time.

Be honest.

Have you ever had a girlfriend?

How many people not in your immediate family wish you a happy birthday each year?

I'm not OP.
I go to work and suffer through it, and it's awful.
It's just aggravating when people claim it doesn't exist.

I've applied for disability and got denied. I go to doctors and they tell me to fuck off and deal with it. so I really have no options except to force myself to go to work every day with people who hate me because I lack social grace since I'm in a state of panic constantly.

ive had a few, but most of them weren't mine. (if you catch my drift)

all of my friends i grew up with are dead.

to be honest the only reason why they cover severe social anxiety as a disability is because people are generally giant assholes in America and wont let people be even into adulthood.

Good

Fuck you I'm not giving you my taxes

>all of my friends i grew up with are dead.

Was their social anxiety that much more severe that it finally got to them?

You should join them

you need to go to a psychiatrist if doctors wont at least prescribe you medication.

don't worry I probably make more than you little buddy

people like you are the reason your taxes will cover the living expenses of these people. sounds like you need to grow up.

been to a psychiatrist. tried the meds and i believe they actually fuck you up even worse than you started. the only option is to work out eat well and try to stay positive even though the anxiety never goes away. every day is difficult but no one will believe you or care, they'll just judge you and hate for not being happy and social enough at work.

Yes, actually. They all killed themselves.

I can't wait until you lose the people you love. (if there is anyone, that is)

That we have people with this attitude is really sad.

I guess you could always start talking like a robot. seems to work for the autistic.

>don't worry I probably make more than you little buddy

No you don't, no friendless autist makes more money than me.

Kek, they say birds of a feather flock together.

>tried the meds and i believe they actually fuck you up even worse than you started.

The med I'm taking now is probably better than what I had before. The one I was taking (Effexor) the withdrawl from that alone even doing it the taper down slow method is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. It can be it's own hard process finding a drug that at least helps some but they never are cure alls. I even tried the not on anything way and that really affected things like my sleep.

so being as asshole you hang around with people that are assholes to you? makes sense

You are a bitch.
No further participation in this thread should be nessesary.

woah, keyboard badass, calm down there

I'm a bitch who actually has an interview tomorrow thank you very much.

I've got PTSD, anxiety disorders out the wazzoo and depersonalization disorder, and I'm borderline schitzo.

That's a result of 1 year of torture and several years of combat.

Buck up. Worst that can happen is you die, and you know what? You kinda wanted that anyway, so there's no reason not to do it.

Besides, 99% of the people you see are too focused on their own shit to give a rats ass about you or what you're doing.

By definition, an amputee can work construction. He's just letting his lack of limbs control him. :^)

Well no I'm not so depressed that I'd want to die. And while I guess that last bit's true it still isn't a cake walk to overcome it.

>anxiety

When will this modern day snowflakeism end? None of this shit existed back in my day!

Snowflakism is where everyone feels "special" and with anxiety you a lot of times don't feel that good about yourself . Opposite

you lived in a time where men dealt with problems head on. now they all act like women ie frienamies, backstabbing, spreading rumors, being two-faced are all perfectly acceptable behaviors, fighting is barbaric so no line cant be crossed, and if you do something about it you will be looked down upon by your peers. Some people are having trouble adjusting to the nu-male world.

Fast food and retail jobs sound exhausting especially for what they are and how shit they pay. I believe there's work that anyone can do based on their condition, but I'm not talking about this one size fits all bullshit.

>Are you going to avoid going to the bankteller because "Muh anxiety"?
>Bank teller
Get with the times grandpa, the average person living in a developed country rarely has to visit a bank.
>Literally everything in life requires social interaction.
lol

The world is a different place, we should be examining the structures that caused this change so that future generations wont have to deal with the same shit.

>the past is still presently occurring!
>said the dinosaur

I'll tell you right now what happened. Its when schools adopted the zero tolerance rules for fighting. If you dare to defend yourself you will be expelled. change this one rule and everything will go back to the way it was.

>Fast food and retail jobs sound exhausting especially for what they are and how shit they pay.

Or even how some in this thread have shown the type of customer you would have to be dealing with who wouldn't honestly give a shit and want you to be their little bitch. I can never recall a time I was that assholic to a worker at fast food or retail even when I was a bit mad at them, but the stories I always see it's pretty sickening.

its an unfortunate effect of the "customer is always right" meme.

The customer is in fact frequently wrong, and forcing your employees to bend over backwards to someone who is purposely being an asshole is terribly demoralizing.

>The customer is in fact frequently wrong, and forcing your employees to bend over backwards to someone who is purposely being an asshole is terribly demoralizing.

Maybe you should have studied in school or started your own business instead.

>anxiety

Dishwasher?
Toilet cleaner?

You're comparing someone with a physical disability to someone with first world problems that needs to stop being a bitch

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Anxiety Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Talk To People Like Nigga Go Outside Haha

I write articles as a job and I sucked at any job that was fast food when I was younger. I'm a huge clutz and have really slow physical reactions so I did something better suited to my skills.

I can believe someone being bad at fast food work or being unable to do it if they have a physical or mental disability.

Working online is a good solution to that, provided you have a marketable skill. Graphic design, writing, tutoring, etc.

I don't work in retail friend. It's just a fact that treating your employees like garbage is going to hurt your business.

You bit the bait, get over it faggot, Jesus crispy Christ.

>It's just a fact that treating your employees like garbage is going to hurt your business.

But that's not a fact.

The businesses who treat their employees the worst generally have the highest profit by far.

Anxiety is a real condition, it's not just feeling nervous though, which is what some people equate it with.
It has physical symptoms such as frequent panic attacks and increased heart rate, dry mouth, just to name a few. The panic attacks are probably the worst of it, since they aren't controllable or are often are triggered by certain things.

You probably made it up to deal with the fact that you're mediocre at everything you fucking pussy

I don't have anxiety. I was just explaining it. Butthurt much?
I do have a physical disability though which is why I stopped doing physical work.

Is your physical disability being a lazy fatass with low testosterone?

I know it's bait, but I'll bite.
I have an autoimmune disorder and fibromyalgia.

I do work online to cover what I need, never went on any welfare or anything. But OP is referring to a mental illness which is one reason someone wouldn't be suited to fast food. Doesn't mean they can't work in some other way though.

>I have no skills, but am social and want money while working in climate controlled comfort

Retail

>I have no skills, am slightly social, and want to make money working in a climate controlled environment.

Food service

>I have no skills, not social, and want to make money while not dealing with people

Warehouse and basic manufacturing

>I have no skills and want to be the male equivalent of a prostitute

Construction and general labor

Shut up pussy

>It took him 5 minutes to google an illness to lie about

Just tell the truth, you're fat and have low testosterone from the garbage you eat.

Well the low test is true since I'm not male.

>OP is referring to a mental illness which is one reason someone wouldn't be suited to fast food

You don't have time to 'think' and 'interact' working at fatfood joints. Only 'anxiety' I ever felt was going to work because I hated it, grow a set, get over it, do your job, don't over achieve in it either because then you'll get shit on, get off work, and buy a pack of smokes.

>I'm not a male
You know the rules. Tits or GTFO.

Post proof you're not fat

>What? Are you going to avoid going to the bankteller because "Muh anxiety"? Literally everything in life requires social interaction.
When have I ever needed to talk to someone at the bank? Deposit checks with a smartphone app, withdraw/deposit cash at the ATM. Literally why would anyone need to talk to anyone at a bank? I just opened a checking and a savings at Cap One 360 online. No people interaction.

Separately but related, stores are installing kiosks to order things from and have self-checkout, mobile checkout is on the horizon, restaurants are installing order-here-pay-here kiosks. Interaction is becoming less necessary every day.