Hi there, sorry in advance for the long post

Hi there, sorry in advance for the long post.

A bit of background, I have a step-brother that makes his money online. I believe he's primarily an affiliate marketer, somebody who makes a commission every time that he directs a customer to another person/company website and the customer makes a purchase.

He's about 28 and has been doing it for the best part of a decade now, firstly working for somebody else and, for the last 5 years, working for himself. At this point, if he's not already a millionaire, he isn't far off, and I'm not exaggerating. Because he works from his computer, he can work anywhere in the world, which he's doing and has done for a few years.

As you may have guessed, I'm interested in finding out more about what he does/has done in the past to get to the the point he is at now.

The problem is, my dad and his mom have now broken-up, after about a decade of being together and a few years of marriage. I was also never particularly close to my step-brother and only saw him occasionally over those ten years. Because of this, I'm hesitant to approach him.

Continued...

I know my dad has tried in the past to ask him about what he does (money is the love of my dad's life), but has only gotten superficial information. I'm not close with my dad either and I don't know what he's said to my step-brother, but it sounds like my dad has tried to squeeze info out of him over the years which my step-brother doesn't appear to like (understandably). In fact, everything I know about my step-brother's work is via my dad.

Getting to the point, I want to know what he does and how he does it. I've been looking online for any info about him/his work I can find, but only gotten bits of info. I've managed to find an email address, a potential phone number and his facebook profile (we're not friends).

I want to contact him but I'm uncertain what to do. It would be utterly out of the blue, from his ex-step-dad's son, a guy he barely knows, asking what my dad and others have asked him, "Hey, can you tell me what you did to get all that money? Because I want to copy you." A guy that's clearly only bothered him because he wants something from him and has nothing to offer. I want to contact him, but I don't want to blow it, I don't want to turn him off and ruin my chance of him offering me advice or help.

What should I say? How should I say it? What can I do to not piss him off and hopefully get him to offer me some help? Any advice is appreciated!

>stop being a faggot and talk to him

/thread

I want to but without blowing it unnecessarily.

just transfer a bug onto his computer that records everything he does.

I'm working on it, but until then I'm relying on my persuasion skills that don't exist

What are you thinking of saying to him?

shoot him with a crossbow while he's on the shitter

Hey (name),

I've heard that you work as an affiliate marketer and I'm looking to try myself.

I'm new to it all and more interested in where to get started. Would you be able to tell me how you started out and perhaps a few useful things you would've like to have known when you started?

Thanks in advance,

My name

I guess that's really it, isn't it? Anything I could add, possibly in terms of whats happened in the family (or perhaps ignore that completely)

Perfect

>Anything I could add, possibly in terms of whats happened in the family
Hey (name),

I know my dad's a cheating liar and left your mom for some slut...

what exactly do you think you're going to say that's going to work there? Just ignore it.

I doubt you'll get any help from him anyway; what's his motivation for helping you? He'd just be training up his competition. There's no value in that, and it's a huge timesuck to get you on your feet & going.

If you want to learn something, fucking do it. Don't wait around for someone else to tell you how, or tell you it's great, or tell you some other bullshit that may or may not be true.

The reason your brother doesn't keep in contact with you isn't because of the family drama shit; he doesn't keep in contact because you don't fucking matter to him, and it's probably because you're your father's son, you're an idiot, and you only care about the money. With that in mind, what's his motivation to come clean with you and share the secrets of his profession with you? You haven't earned that yet, hell, you haven't even dabbled in the waters yet. You're not invested, and nobody should share their knowledge with someone who's not invested.

God damn, I'm getting myself worked up because I see so many shitheads like you wherever I look. People that think they deserve things they haven't earned, haven't worked for.

dont mention the family stuff, send what your wrote here.

This. You said you have his email.

>brother is vague about how he makes his money

He's not really an affiliate marketer, op. He probably sucks dicks for a living and affiliate marketing is only a cover so that no one will find out the truth.

Tell me where the problem is in asking somebody for help? He's unlikely to help me but if he did, I'd be getting help from somebody that has done it very right. Why fumble trying to do something new myself when I have a chance to get some info out of a guy who knows what he's doing? I don't deserve anything, I don't expect anything and I have nothing to offer, which is why I want to get it right. Call me selfish but what would you do? Are you too principled and proud that you would forget trying to get some help and diligently go about learning it independently?

Thanks for the advice/assurance, I appreciate it

The problem isn't asking for help, it's not being willing to take the leap yourself before you reach out.

Poeple aren't going to hold your hand through life, and asking them to help you when you've demonstrated zero acumen or skill in a particular area is akin to asking a professional athlete to tell you how to be a star athlete "because you really want to" even though you haven't gotten off the couch in two years & you're 40 lbs. overweight.

It's not a matter of whether you're asking for help; it's your timing, and your attitude. You haven't done anything to warrant his help, and you don't intend to take a risk; you want a sure thing, a get-rich-quick.

You also clearly have no ethics, because you're considering bugging the dude's computer to get what you want. News flash; that's not going to help you, because you don't have the requisite skills to replicate what he's doing even if you DID know what he does all day. It's not just a matter of stealing his passwords, you have to actually learn the logic behind it and study the behavior patterns to actually be able to replicate what he did, and if he realizes you hacked his shit, he's just going to change the passwords and flash his PC, and you'll be back at square one in a month (although, congrats, you will have wasted a lot of time on both of your parts).

I wasn't going to bug his computer, that was a joke. You think if I could do stuff like that I'd be worrying about some affiliate marketing gig?

No I haven't taken a leap. Why would I take a risk when I could potentially shrink the risk? As for doing something first to "warrant" his help, if he's gonna help me, he'll help me regardless of if I haven't started or if I'm already doing it. I'm asking him about what he does and a bit of advice. Why would he look more favourably if I've already done a bit more? Why would he care? Bearing in mind I only know this guy superficially.

do you fucking due dilligence on affiliate marketing first, then go to him with at least some basic knowledge of said topic. Like user posted above, its like asking a professional athlete how to win olympics, while you're an obese asshole. Im sure that he will at least consider helping you if you show interest in this line of work.

your*

That's fair enough, it would be no good to turn up with zero knowledge. I do know a decent amount about affiliate marketing, though I could research some more.

All of the advice in this thread is completely dead wrong. You're looking at this the wrong way. Your step-brother probably resents your dad 1) for leaving his mom and 2) trying to use him to get money. He most likely looks at you in the exact same way and you will confirm his suspicions by approaching him right off the bat about making money.

What I am going to tell you, you are not going to like. There is a high possibility that your step-brother is going to blow you off no matter what you do. The only (and I mean ONLY) way he is going to help you at all is if you approach him, not as a leech but as former family member. Hopefully you two had at least some personal conversations or time together or else he is not going to have any fond memories of you at all.

Here is the ONLY way you should phrase correspondence with him:

>Hey user,

>I feel bad about the way things left off between our parents. I really appreciate your mom for (insert anecdote) and really have great memories. I hope you both are doing well. I know we were never really that close but I always thought of you as an older brother and mentor. It's my wish that we can keep in contact and talk from time to time.

>Kind regards,
>Fagboy

This next part is very important. If he does respond to you, make sure that you keep your conversations light and non-intrusive. Only bring up his work if he touches on it first and then make some comment like "That sounds really interesting. I would like to know more about that." Otherwise, he is going to see right through your facade and put his defenses up. If he ever for one second thinks you reached out to him just to use him, he is not going to help you.

Yeah this, befriend him then cut his throat whilst he sleeps and steal his secrets.

The throat cutting and secret stealing sounds appealing

I've heard 'lead with a gift' helps. Offer to work for him for free for a few months in exchange for learning from him or something.

What's the original version of that image?
Can't find it with Google.

Don't try to befriend him. Ask him to hire you. Explain why this would benefit him. If you can't come up with anything then he has no reason to give a fuck about you.

>ask him to hire you
>assuming he even needs employees
Kek. Good luck with all that.

People are disgusting. Dragon fever does brings out the total worse in people. If there was no risk then I probably would do the same thing.

It's help and then slot

Just don't. Leave him be.

Don't become one of those faggots people talk about who suddenly want to be friends with someone after they become very successful. There is no bigger display of a lack of character.

is he good looking and are you good looking? cos if you both are you can do webcam kinky stuff and you will both be very rich

'Hey steppie! Long time no see! xD Sooo you're kinda rich now and I need monies (lmao im so poor ;_;)

What is it exactly like, step by step you do?? *flutters eye lashes*

Thanks!!'

>Wait 5 minutes

'You there???? Helloooooo?'

He'll then dive right in. Goodluck and you're welcome.

just make sure to do it in the appropriate order.

Ah ok, thanks

Why do you feel that he is the only one in the world with this knowledge? Just learn by yourself somewhere and you can then (eventually) approach him as a "competitor" to share ideas.