Big data

Tell me about this "big data" meme and how I can get a job as a "data analyst".

Learn SQL, Python, and take a data analytics course. You could probably do all this in 2 weeks.

>earn 20K more per year

Make sure to exaggerate your experience of course, and be able to make a case for it.

Your job after that is to not get fired then. If you get a position where you're the only analytics guy, you've lucked out.

How much math is needed to be a data analyst? I was under the impression that you need to know calculus, linear algebra, and advanced statistics to be competent.

Lol, no. Just pretend like you do.. Go watch the Khan Academy videos at 1.5x speed.

If you're serious though, yeah you do.

1: Sign up for a Coursera class and never login again.
2: Ignore hundreds of years of statistics.
3: Convince yourself that you can eliminate sampling error by sampling more of the same thing from the same place at the same time.
4: Make large documents with lots or colorful graphics that don't draw any meaningful conclusions.
5: Keep reminding yourself that one right prediction among a hundred bad ones is still a success.
6: Collect more data.
7: Collect even more data.
8: If you collect enough data, you will eventually build a perfectly accurate model.
9: Use search term trends for flu symptoms to predict when winter is coming.
10: Congradulations, you are now a data scientist.

How often is it all used. Is getting an internship as a data analyst feasible for someone who's currently taking calc 1.

Calc 1 has little usage outside of Engineering & Graduate level work.

You missed out, user. We've already hit peak hype on 'Data Science/Big Data'. All the complex stuff is already being simplified for use by non-technical people. Soon it will just be another bunch of MBA's bullshitting while using Tableau instead of Excel/Powerpoint and using whatever the default custoner segments someone else set up for them in Adobe Analytics. Unless you go to a Fintech or google/amazon/Microsoft you won't be doing anything interesting.

so other than knowing SQL and Python what are the minimum hard and soft skills expected from a junior data analyst

Are you talking about data science or economics.

What the fuck is BIG DATA and what is small data and who the fuck cares?

>Use search term trends for flu symptoms to predict when winter is coming.

You... I like you.

5/5 Banter. I'm stealing this just so you know.

Damn, coming from an applied mathematics background, what are some memes I can still profit off of?

But I love using boosting and bagging to prop shit up

Confirming this.

Unfortunately, I bought into the hype and did a masters in it.

Now working as an office temp on zero money.

There was only ever a shortage for the very top phd level machine learning guys and big data architect guys. If you have to ask how to get into data science/big data, you can't.

If for some reason you do decide to pursue it, you'll basically be a low level analyst looking at shoe sales for some crappy little business, using pre-defined settings on some licensed software to make pretty powerpoints.

Big data = basically stuff that relational engines (think SQL) isn't as good at. Partitioned databases, graph databases, shit like that.

>company wants new progressive marketing techniques
>hires me at age 19 as marketing manager
>get my own office, workable budget, manage online advertisements
>set up a facebook page and instagram
>make a couple posts a day
>show boss the indoor google maps tour of our showroom, take credit
>he thinks I'm a god
>f5 Veeky Forums 8 hours a day out of the 9 I'm paid to work there for a year
>left to pursue STEM degree
you guys can make fun of me now

>Unfortunately, I bought into the hype and did a masters in it.
Where did you get your degree?

>Implying a company wouldn't want to know it's elasticity of demand for it's products

>implying elasticity with a derivative isn't the best way to find it

Your statement was retarded.

for someone has worked as a data analyst..this thread fucking hit homes

for someone who has worked as a data analyst..this thread fucking hit homes

machine learning

>You could probably do all this in 2 weeks
>2 weeks
>Python

Lel, maybe SQL but Python needs a lot more than that