The Menial Jobs You Went Through

Or might still be doing on your path to success. Did you ever have to clean the bathrooms? Get coffee? You know that kind of stuff. In a way helps me fee less embarrassed about some of the stuff that I'm having to do to get myself started.

As long as it pays a fair wage, I'll do it. Better than being broke, board and spending money on a negative net.

>board

*bored

I mean that's true , just it's a bit like "wow I went to college and finally have a job and part of it is cleaning" I mean I'm ready for it just in the back of my mind can seem a bit embarrassing.

Vanity is your worst enemy in anything financial related.

What's embarrassing is getting into debt up to your eyeballs because you spent a shit ton in material objects and took out huge loans on high interest rates for it.

Nothing embarrassing about getting paid and more people will at least respect you for being a hardworker vs. living off the gov't or defaulting on your debts.

>more people will at least respect you for being a hardworker vs. living off the gov't or defaulting on your debts.
Donald Trump decalred bankruptcy on his businesses 3 times, and plebs still respect him. They love him, its all about image.

Don't know the details of those bankruptcy, but Trump is a poor example. Trump isn't a typical guy or brought up in a typical family. Trump is and always has been rich. He cut from a different cloth and it shows.

Yeah well it's not exactly vanity it's for me self-confidence, but yeah all I can do is when I have to do that try the best I can. I mean I know everyone's gotta start somewhere. The other warehouse related things don't seem as bad though. Financial wise I am actually ok with getting min wage for now. Doing the math it still a decent chunk of change that can help me finally clear my student loan and save up and stuff.

Then you're on the right path. Just be patience, don't do stupid shit, and do your best.

Yeah so late for it though I'm almost in my 30s. Sad isn't it.

No, it's not. Millennials need to get out of this mentality that success comes quick. Just keep working, stay the path and eventually you'll get there.

>cleaner in a hotel
>painter in a fabrication yard
>night watchman
>get degree to become marine engineer
>lol recession
>back to cleaner

How old are you? It's not like that these days. Every job has thousands upon thousands of applicants. Unless you follow the ideal career path and don't fall off anywhere along the way, you're shut out completely and the best you can hope for is to work the rest of your life in some shitty little suburban office. If part of your graduate job involves cleaning, you're not in a good spot. Do you think JP Morgan have their new investment banking analysts spend their time cleaning?

op, can you answer this: did you have to show your actual degree at all?

more than just a resume

No just on the resume where you went to high school and college and I'm sure they check that shit out later to make sure you aint full of shit.

Well lucky for me this is just a warehouse job.

Oh and let me add yes put what your degree was but you still don't have to actually show it.

The job you do 'just for now' is the job you will be doing for the rest of your life.

That is the new reality.

Can we really say "rest of your life" though too? I think the better way to put it is that you are probably gonna have to move around a lot, maybe doing the same things as you said (or maybe not ) It doesn't seem like the days of staying with a single company until you retire is going to be a thing.

Yeah, I just mean that if you;re working at a Pizza joint out of College, you're probably going to be working in Food Services till you retire or die.

If you're not actively working your way up, and forcing yourself into the job market you want, you're done for. Wasting 40+ hours a week on a job "just until I make it big" means you will never make it big. Those hours are gone.

I guess my issue is that it's hard to have a real plan even with this job it's like ok how long do I stay,would it be best just to move up through this, what do I look for in the next job, did my degree really matter at all because I'll never be good enough for that because I did this, economy factors, etc. Lot's of things to worry about.

So you've graduated and are now just doing some shitty cleaning job to pay the bills, is that right?

How long has it been since you graduated? What have you got to show for since that time?

The problem is not necessarily the shitty cleaning job. The problem is that it sounds like you aren't in education, an internship, grad scheme or entry level position.

Well it's actually a warehouse job this is just part of it. Gotta do other stuff at the warehouse mostly involving maintenance but yeah. It's to get me started again and not just being a neet. I graduated a few years ago. Just did some odd sort of under the table or one and done sorta things, nothing illegal of course. This is my first real real job.

Shit jobs don't care once they hire you. They might ask during the interview. Once they have a person in the job they don't care if you leave in 1 week or a year.

I worked 2 shit jobs after college without mentioning my degree.1 found out because I recommended a lose mouthed friend to them. The other grilled me on it a few times but never knew.

As someone who came from the same situation and worked into a decent job I will say this

>having a full time job is always a plus no matter what
>you won't be making 100k at your next job, but there is room to move up in pay and rank by switching jobs
>some older managers value things like grit, work ethic, and hard work

Well I mean I was ok with min wage doing the math and in my situation it's still a pretty damn good chunk of change esp if I'm careful with it. But then I'm lucky in that regard. Eventually yes it'll progress but ever making as much as 100k a year? It can be hard to see that and I was ok with that reality but if that ever happens wow great I'll buy a swimming pool. I honestly don't see myself ever needing that big of a house if I ever did own a house, it being just me and all.

In high school I slung hash, waited tables, and was a barista. In college I was a retail goon for Eckerd and Walmart. Now I'm a major in the USAF, pulling just shy of $100k a year (with duty pay and allowances included.). I only have 6 more years until I have my first retirement and a pension that'll pay out nearly $50k a year for life.

Keep going, hard work, persistence, diligence always pay off.

Yep I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind from all that I'm almost 30 , kind of embarrassing really.

IMO you shoot for the big bucks and live modestly so you can get out of the rat race.

I don't mind working and worse come to worse I could pick up one the shit jobs I did in the past. The security knowing I don't have to work would be nice.

I started out with a gasoline retailer/refiner. First job was at a "training station" where they taught us how service stations are managed. Had to run a floor buffer and pump gas (I'm an oldfag.) Six months later sent to Los Angeles where I had to check bathrooms and measure pump nozzle width on 78 stations. One day met an EPA dude checking one of our stations. Got to talking and soon he offered to send me the EPA guide to examining service stations. It was in a binder about 4 inches thick. Dutifully mailed it to my boss at the home office. Two weeks later phone rings and I get a promotion and raise. Said they had a floor full of lawyers and no one had gotten such a binder before. Yay me! Things got way better after that for little old me.

Alan Rickman was 46 when he quit his Graphic Design job to become an actor.

30 ain't shit.

I'm almost 30 and I'm going into apprenticeship being paid for by my employer, with the stipulation that I work for 1 year after I get my trades certificate. After that, my marketable wages double and I can get a job anywhere in my country.

And? What's stopping you now? Ray Kroc of McDonalds fame didn't make his break until 54. The Zagats were in their 40s when the Zagat guide took off. Harland Sanders (Mr KFC) didn't sell his first KFC franchise until 65.

Set a goal, even if minor, and go to it. You'll make it.

Yeah I have heard stories like that which does put it into better perspective just society likes to make you look bad for "oh first job at 29 lolsobehind" . But I agree small moves are ok it can be hard to plan for real long term. So many in recent times thought they had a real plan and did the right things only for the economy to change.

When I was apprenticed as proces operator my very first task was to sweep the floors.

Then I had to help a smith carry his tools around and push his heavy as fuck wheelbarrow filled with tools around.
And if he needed a special tool while working somewhere I had to go to the maintnance building and get it for him.
Super embarassing because I did not know what a spanner was or a ratchet and had to ask others what it actually was for a tool he wanted me to get.

Start from the bottim, woork your way up

Corporate bankruptcy is different than personal bankruptcy

With that mind set, it sure will be.

getting someone else's coffee is far more demeaning than cleaning a toilet.

Yeah I can totally see that being embarrassing I've in a way felt that before with helping someone with tools related stuff.
Hmm , how so? Curious.

Dishwashing for a year not terrible but recently quit. Hope to get a job at my school although I'm not in the Coop program (one of the best in the world) which really sucks

I'm currently working part time in a warehouse, while doing a little post-grad to get a CPA.

I consider it the cheapest gym I've ever joined, and way more motivating.

Yeah that's one thing good that might come out of me working in something similar though right now the tasks don't really involve heavy lifting , if any it would probably be light. I aint really strong myself.

Companies generally won't make you lift anything heavier than 30-40 lbs by yourself. Injuries and liabilities are expensive. I was also really out of shape when I started, and now I'm in my best shape ever, I've lost about 15 lbs in 6 months.

Also, Truett Cathy ran multiple restaurants that were failures in his lifetime.

I think in his 50's he started Chick-fil-A, which is one of the most successful fastfood places of all time (not a single store has gone out of business, or failed to make a profit).

It's never to late to turn it around, just gotta keep taking risks and reminding yourself that you have worth and can come up with a way to live smart.

Oh my weight isn't really a problem but yeah that's still a nice thing to happen.

In chronological order: Paperboy, supermarket drone, emptying containers of stuff destined for supermarkets, taking care of violent mentally challenged people (took this because the container emptying job made me depressed - included changing diapers on adult men), taking care of a woman in a respirator. Currently I'm a research scientist.

brutal

I was a janitor, got a low-level office job, and then moved into an IT help desk position. This all happened at the same organization. I had a McJob, factory job, and a few odd jobs all before I moved into my present organization. So far the janitor job was my favorite, followed by the IT help desk position. I don't really know where I want to go in my career, but I just keep my head down, work really hard, always increase my credentials (have a uni degree and a few certs), and I'm always friendly and kind with everyone.

so.. in other words, avoid the private sector and seek government employment?

Sounds sensible to me. The private sector is for geniuses and morons.

I would've gone back to being a night watchman. At least you can get paid to watch movies and scheme online for a better job.