There was a stock market method posted here that I saved to a hard drive that died...

There was a stock market method posted here that I saved to a hard drive that died. The poster said that 50% of the time he would make money and 50% of the time he would break even. I can't remember what he did but it was something like this.

Look for stocks, funds, commodities, that are guaranteed to swing up or down at least 1% in the next couple of days. Then he would put money on the it to go up or down at least 1%. If it doesn't go up or down he would lose money but if he got 1% he would only break even. His major profits come from when a company swings more then 1% but I lost the information on how to do it.

I am beginner at investing, the problems I see is how do you make money if you invest at say $100 share then it goes down to $98? If insured or something wouldn't insurance cost more then profit? That is not taking into consideration trading commisions / fees. But it was all explained nicely by OP.

Other urls found in this thread:

coinut.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for curiosity

Sounds like that would be better done with options. Fees would eat that up, and Robinhood makes you wait three days to reinvest.

If your asking how to make money when a stock falls? Well you do something called short selling it, IE betting against the stock. You take someone else's share and sell it then buy it back at a discounted price.

sounds like an option strategy. probably a straddle where a move in either direction will make you money but no move will cost you your premium.

>2016
>not having robinhood instant.

>have $25K uninvested case every day
>still using Robinhood
Wew lad

>The poster said that 50% of the time he would make money and 50% of the time he would break even. I can't remember what he did but it was something like this.

he...flipped a coin?

you're bad at math if you think 50/50 odds are going to make you rich

Well, there is monte carlo. But anyway, that's not what's being described. It's it's 50% to win 1%, 50% to break even, then the average is 0.5%, and doing it every trading day for a year is 350% growth. If you found a strategy like that, you'd be a fool to not sell your children into slavery to fund it, since you could by them back in a few years with your trillions of dollars anyway.

Such a shame it's retarded to think that that would even be possible.

Which one of the above should I look into? What Can I read?

He hardly ever lost money, so I think it was 50% he would make money 2-3% and 50% of the time he would break even = 0%, no negatives. If a low trade user and these two above events happen once weekly you would double money withing a year. You have to keep in mind that it will take a couple days for stock to go up or down 1% and no when to get out.

I'm expecting to lose money if I were to start now, that is why I am going to research more or practice somewhere free.

>straddle
THIS, I think this was it now that I am reading the wiki article. Going to research it more.

>218895 of 250778

It'll be awhile

How do you trade all your money every day without hitting freeloading restriction?

So I looked into Straddle and it seems I would have to buy options of call / put. Problem is those get expensive if buying near the day of an earning report of an expected swing AND with Calls / Puts, you can only sell on expiry date if I am not mistaken.

no you can buy/sell any time during regular trading hours before the expiry if they are US options.

I have accounts with Vanguard, Robinhood and options house.

Cryptocurrency

Kek

Index funds can get you
>10% returns

Rich fags
>15% returns

Warren Buffet / Ichann / Soros
>20% returns

How would you do something like a Straddle on cryptocurrency.

>50% of the time he would make money
>50% of the time he would break even
>If it doesn't go up or down he would lose money
something doesn't add up here

I dont think even warren buffet gets more than 15% on average during his entire career.

OP here.

He would rarely lose money, maybe 1% of the time. Half the time he would make money and half the time he would break even. If guess I should have said.
49.5% make money
49.5% break even
1% lose.

Would be interested to know how it is done with cryptocurrency.

pro tip - there is no free lunch

if you think just looking for a volatile stock and buying a straddle represents an edge you're going to be rather disappointing - do you not think that other people have thought of that before and maybe the people willing to sell you that straddle.... actually especially the people willing to sell you that straddle have accounted for the vol when pricing the thing

I'm not saying that there are no edges or that the markets are completely efficient but you're going to have to try harder than that, people don't tend to give away edges on internet forums either - they might as well just let you dip into their wallet

maybe something like:
coinut.com/
(in theory)
in reality liquidity looks a bit thin

>actually especially the people willing to sell you that straddle
I think he should go for it.
Um, buying the straddle thing. It sounds like a good buy.