Why did quality in basic brands drop so much after the 90's

I've felt and worn so much vintage stuff 80'-90's that are just basic brands (Levi's, Gap) that feel so high quality compared to a lot of brands today.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
circularfashion.com/the-problems-of-our-ready-made-society/
circularfashion.com/from-planned-obsolescence-to-circular-thinking/
zady.com/features/the-rise-of-planned-obsolescence
fastcompany.com/3062474/the-decline-of-premium-american-fashion-brands-what-happened-ralph-tommy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Outsourcing to Asia

workwear stuff has highest quality for price point now. normie brands can cut corners and people will still buy them so they cut corners

Survivor's bias perhaps? You don't see the old shitty shit because it was thrown away. Same with the "le old music was better" trope.

this is it folks

+ desire to keep prices low in financially unstable conditions
you live under a rock? vintage clothing has a colossal market

Yea, I'm fit but I wear a waist 33-34, most vintage stuff is like 30-32

Also, I'd have to taper, hem or both

Structure was bought by Sears and is now only sold in Sears stores.

What a terrible filename I'm a Canacuck u pleb.

Thx for using a good meme tho

I've never seen so many dad clothes in one place.

This can only be argued up to a point. We know, for instance, that fabric weight has been trending down almost universally.

What work wear brands

Because most consumers want to buy more shit for cheap rather than less for more.

not necessarily true, even carhart quality and dickies qualiy has gone down the shitter. carhartt t shirts used to be so thick and last forever, now theyre flimsy as fuck and cost way more as well.

go on netflix and search for a documentary called "the true cost"

basically explains the whole thing, from heavy competition for low prices and bargains and outsourcing as much as possible to unsafe factories in bangladesh

You are a fucking idiot that's why
The particular garments that have survived to this day have already gone through the test of time, they are the surviving pieces of those models that just got lucky in being bit better quality than the others, the quality isn't any better, you just find the ones that are solid as fuck from thrifts and shit because the ones that weren't so lucky got rekt at some point and are in garbage dump somewhere.
You might have a point if you were talking pre 70s

because of millenials, brand started to accommodate to shit taste early

Modern brands like Filling Pieces, Norse Projects etc replaced the old ones

Because they want to make money and they can because they made a name for themselves. Kids don't know what old timey Levi's from the 50s felt like so they think a 501 is worth the price since Levi's is supposedly a quality brand. The rise of ultra-cheap fastfashion is also an important factor. It's even better than H&M or Uniqlo so it must be quality, right?

you're right to an extent, but you're delusional if you think many formerly reliable companies haven't started cutting corners.

I think you missed the point of what meant

> but you're delusional if you think many formerly reliable companies haven't started cutting corners
How about backing up your claims instead of spouting shit
Lot of companies have actually lately been upping their quality just because there is so much competition around and internet has made it so easy to just research for the best brands for price/quality.
Ï fucking hate these kinda vague ass bullshit claims people constantly throw around on this board
>many formerly reliable companies haven't started cutting corners
woah man, what a bold claim
No shit you can find brand here and another there that have recently had quality drops but that can have million fucking reasons

>carhartt

Amazon reviews suggest all their fucking zippers fall off.

I have to wonder, though. Some of these reviews might be BS and some of them might be retards that do the sartorial equivalent of batoning.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
How this is not common knowledge bothers me.

What the fuck that has to do with anything I said
That term is about artificially limited life of a product

I seriously doubt any clothes manufacturers deliberately sabotage their products, they just use the cheapest material, labor and techniques possible and shit quality is the result of that
instead most of them trend-hop a lot, making it so their clothes will be unfashionable in a year or so and people will go buy new ones

It's not sabotaging though.
>they just use the cheapest material, labor and techniques possible and shit quality is the result of that
That's exactly the point, the shit quality makes it so that you need to buy more in a smaller time frame.
>making it so their clothes will be unfashionable in a year or so and people will go buy new ones
This is another form of planned obsolence.
When you deliberately make something that is shit and not durable at all you are planning the obsolence of that product.

>When you deliberately make something that is shit and not durable at all you are planning the obsolence of that product.
You don't relate it to clothing with any way though, you just throw the article here like it's supposed to mean something, unless you have source saying brands doing this these days as opposed to 80s and 90s you aren't saying anything.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, my job is not to spoonfeed someone who refuses to acknowledge something that can be found with a simple google search.
You'll never find any official list because companies don't public advertise this and you know it but you'll keep parroting that because it's your way to refuse reality.

I'm aware companies do it
But the thread is about alleged decline of clothing brands quality and you haven't said fucking anything that should convince me such thing is happening, as far as 80s and 90s are concerned.
Your have nothing to say you just claim it's happening.

What's your fucking problem you idiot just do any amount of research whatsoever quit deluding yourself because you would just like to think all that money you're spending is warranted..you fucked up dude, big time and that's the reason your clothes and life are falling apart you failure. Just end it now and quit being a little bitch in this thread and grow up.

There's a NZ company called Swanndri that outsourced to China recently.
What they're best known for is making loose, wool "bush shirts" treated to repel rain.
By the look of it one of the things that fucked their business was customers tended to only buy one.
Since they'd last indefinitely and be expensive enough to where a normie could not justify getting two just to have two colours or somewhat different features.

Like i said, i'm not here to spoonfeed you. This is such a simple thing to google...

I think people are more inclined to write a review after havin a bad experience as a way to vent.

That being said, some of my experiences with certain products on Amazon seems like they get factory seconds or super old stock thats been sitting in warehouses for awhile.
Certain products i only buy directly from the brands now

Therefore this is the most Veeky Forums place to shop at

So like I said, you have fuck all to say, no proof and you hide behind
>lmao no spoonfeeding
Usually when you argue with someone you want to try to back up your claims because
>dude no, you are wrong because I say so
Doesn't really convince anyone
Fast fashion companies make cheap clothing, pretty well known fact. I have still yet to see any sorta proof of general decline of quality of clothing in this thread (hint: it doesn't exist) but you sure showed me man.
The argument would make more sense if we were talking pre 70s but fast fashion and outsorucing already happened in the 80s
Basically the old shit you find from thrifts are the one percent of the clothing that got lucky and were bit better quality than the other ones, maybe whoever was sewing had better day or something, and this gives you skewed perception of past.

Ey which part? I'm from the biggest possible shit hole for fashion
It's partly a consumer issue. You can't point at clothing stores and say "you need to make better clothing" if you're not willing to pay the prices they need. You're paying close to half the cost of an item in retail fees, distributors and shipping all want a piece of the pie. The fact that people are unwilling to pay a reasonable cost to clothing is the reason hellholes like winners/homesense/marshals not only exist but are some of the largest retailers in north america. If people were willing to pay a reasonable price for things and retail companies weren't the biggest possible kikes, you wouldn't see a decrease in quality to the same degree.

Every year companies want to increaserofits or they fire everyone,this is taught to business majors who go on to become execs.Cheaper material is always a by-product of this logic so the hipster way of thinking i liked it before it was popular is usually true as they have more to prove,more pride,and can make smaller batches not focused on feeding thousands of people that work for a large company.

it's a self fulfilling profecy of sorts. people don't want to buy more expensive clothes because most manufacturers make cheap clothes and manufacturers don't want to make expensive clothes because people don't want them

That's the unfortunate case. There are obviously exceptions. A good one is La mason Simmons in Canada, would recommend shopping there. Prices are comparable for designer stuff but their in store brands are ethically sourced labour and materials, they pay their employees properly with decent benefits and all-round good guys. I bought a cardigan from them 3 years ago and it looks fine still. Its white too and I fucking love spilling food on me.

You are a lost case but someone else might be interessed in this and not retarded.
circularfashion.com/the-problems-of-our-ready-made-society/
circularfashion.com/from-planned-obsolescence-to-circular-thinking/
zady.com/features/the-rise-of-planned-obsolescence
fastcompany.com/3062474/the-decline-of-premium-american-fashion-brands-what-happened-ralph-tommy

m8 none of these address the topic of the thread which is my fucking point
they don't talk about the general quality of the clothing going down and such thing being happening and relevant since 80s and 90s
Like I said earlier, you can find examples of this shit but it doesn't mean it's actual phenomena, they produced just as much shit back then as they do now

As i said, i don't care about you anymore, i posted those because it might interest other people. What you think about them is completely irrelevant.

>I don't care about you
great argument

>irrelevant babbling
>gets called out about it
>I don't care about you anyway just let me post what I want

This is what society has become.

The last link i posted has information on the decline in quality of american brands over the years, that idiot just didn't read it.
I'm not going to keep arguing with somebody who has the resources that prove him wrong but still refuses to accept the truth. No matter what i spoonfeed him, he'll demand something more specific that nobody can provide him, so, in his mind, he'll never be wrong.

>The last link i posted has information on the decline in quality of american brands over the years
For the fifth time the thread is about the claim that BASIC BRANDS WERE BETTER in 80s and 90s, some brands declining in quality over the years is not a proof of that. It's in the title, how do you miss that.

enjoy your wonders of capitalism (moving factories to Asia)

Let me explain you this one last time.

Planned obsolescence is a tatic performed by BRANDS whether they are BASIC BRANDS or ANYTHING BRAND doesn't matter because they are still BRANDS.
The thread is not about the claim that BRANDS WERE BETTER but a question on why basic brands dropped in quality. The material i posted explain this quite clearly.
Now, you want me thrust down you throat material that says in caps and in bold "BASIC BRANDS FROM THE 80-90's HAVE DROPPED IN QUALITY!!! AND IT'S NOT JUST 'SOME' BRANDS, IT'S BASIC BRANDS!!". Unfortunately, there is no such a thing, make what you will of that.

>The thread is not about the claim that BRANDS WERE BETTER
then why is the topic, and I quote literally the OP
>Why did quality in basic brands drop so much after the 90's

>The material i posted explain this quite clearly.
It doesn't
It just explains planned obsolescence
It doesn't even touch the subject that there has been quality drop from 80s and 90s aside from the specifici article talking about ralph and tommy
80s and 90s already had the declining quality of clothing because most things were made in asia, basic brands were just as shit as they are now

You know that movie Road to Perdition? I hear to make the coat(s) Tom Hanks wears they actually had to get the fabric made special because no one makes a wool that thick anymore.

I think I heard a story about Will I Am doing this as well, maybe it was someone else.

You can make good things in Asia too, the fact is that they don't want to make quality clothes because PA works very well. This is a progressive work, you don't just make clothes with quality as poor as you have today over the day, the drop is not something new but right now the quality is worse than it was in the 80's.

>but right now the quality is worse than it was in the 80's
No, it's not.

Sure thing, user, sure thing.

I'm old. When I was in my late teens in the early 2000s new tees came out with thinner fabric that allowed a slimmer fit- mostly in women's knits. That reached peak popularity with brands like AA and is now becoming unpopular again because it's EVERYWHERE and everything is super thin.

Also these. But what do you expect when wages haven't been adjusted for inflation for a generation or more? Purchasing power is way down and people still need to dress themselves. Plus the norm has become owning lots of clothes you wear only a few times rather than owning a small wardrobe of items you wear often.

The standard for jeans was that they would literally stand up on their own. Boomers can still remember this in the 70s.
It's difficult and expensive to get jeans like that now. It used to be all jeans.

>they produced just as much shit back then as they do now
they most certainly did not

people today buy more clothing than any other previous generation

You'd think it'd be commmon knowledge not to judge a fastfood meal by a doctored picture of the food, but dumb ass 40 something bitches like holding up the line to complain that their $5 burger don't look gourmet

Winnipeg so I feel you completely on the worst place for fashion part.

Fashion is produced on a much faster basis instead of seasonally as it used to be. I guess from a financial p.o.v companies are going to cut corners and ensure people keep coming to their stores over and over for the latest pieces they churn out.

Most consumable items these days aren't built to last anymore either. People don't have that mindset to repair and look after their material items anymore. Just look at electronics. People used to keep the same shit for decades but now people will throw something out as soon as it has a minor defect or something new and hip comes along.

In this, they don't need to produce high quality garments anymore because people want to be 'on trend' and keep up, so they will treat their items as disposable.

Good points