It took me a year and a half to save $13k. What's a reasonable, non meme...

It took me a year and a half to save $13k. What's a reasonable, non meme, non get-rich-quick way to reasonably invest this money to get a bit more in return?

I've been just sitting on this cash and I'm only 22. I know it's not much, but I know there is potential.

Other urls found in this thread:

bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/investing/americas-best-stock-ever/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Invest everything in MO. It pays a healthy dividend and only goes up.

bitcoins

Mo?

hold onto this cash, wait for stocks to plummet (pretty soon here) Buy everything worth a damn

That's pretty much been my plan because I definitely see a big crash similar to 2008 coming in a year or so. Would you recommend leaving my money in a bank or keeping most of it cash and secure?

vanguard index funds

> wait for stocks to plummet (pretty soon here)
> (pretty soon here)

Cool crystal ball, bro.

inb4 you wait another 20 years and miss out on those mad SPY gains

>ANY MINUTE NOW!!! I CAN FEEL IT!!!

ETFs, Vanguard funds.

Are you done with your education? If you aren't, consider a 529 account. It'll allow you to invest it, and if you're saving for continued education, the 529 status will allow you to withdraw tax-free for education related expenses (books, supplies, housing while in school full-time, etc.)

Completely skipped over college and went straight into the work force.

go to vanguard.com and open a roth IRA.
max out your roth IRA ($5,500/yr) every year
buy vanguard ETFs within your IRA... I suggest something like 10% BND, 10% VDE*, 40% VTI, 30% VOO, 10% VXUS.

whatever you choose, just keep funding your roth every year.

anyway, you should do this right away. don't wait for the market to crash or whatever. once you have your roth IRA set up, you can open a brokerage account with $6,500 of the $7,500 you have left. you can let that money sit in your brokerage account in a money market fund and wait for the big crash to buy up deals.

in the meantime, take the $1,000 you have left and open a robinhood trading account. use that 1,000 to play around w/ picking and trading. you'll probably lose often, but it will force you to learn how to pick, how to be patient, and how to act when you see an opportunity.

the most important thing is to get your IRA started and keep maxing it out every year.

also: bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

remember, investopedia.com is your friend.

AND...
"My money, I should add, is where my mouth is: What I advise here is essentially identical to certain instructions I’ve laid out in my will. One bequest provides that cash will be delivered to a trustee for my wife’s benefit. (I have to use cash for individual bequests, because all of my Berkshire shares will be fully distributed to certain philanthropic organizations over the ten years following the closing of my estate.) My advice to the trustee could not be more simple: Put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund. (I suggest Vanguard’s.) I believe the trust’s long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors – whether pension funds, institutions or individuals – who employ high-fee managers." - Warren Buffett

Good things to look into. Thanks.

forgot to tell you that this advice is only if you already have an emergency fund of 6 months to a year sitting in your bank account (or in your safe at home.) you don't want to have to rob from your retirement account (and pay excessive taxes and penalties) or have to sell from your brokerage account at a loss in order to fix your car or pay your medical insurance deductible or cover expenses when you lose your job (or whatever the emergency happens to be.)

>Would you recommend leaving my money in a bank or keeping most of it cash and secure?
i keep enough in cash in a safe at home to buy a beater car, pay medical deductible, or buy food for year... i keep the rest of my emergency fund in a savings account at a small, local bank. what you choose to do will depend on your security situation. if you don't know how to keep your mouth shut, live near crackheads or ghetto thugs, have house-mates, etc. you may want to keep less (or no) cash in your house.

gold

knee pads

Either buy a home or put the money into a business.

$13k is not nearly enough to make anything in the stock market or funds.

$13k is more than enough to get started in many many forms of contracting:

plumbing
carpentry and framing
lawn care
pest control

etc...

MO is altria company. the cigarette stock that makes marlboro

If you feel that a market crash is coming, then you should put your money into U.S. Treasuries. TLH and TLT are ETFs that invest in U.S. Treasuries, with TLT being a blend of Treasuries with a 20-year duration. In general, in the event of a market crash and suddenly high demand for Treasuries, longer durations will gain more.

Beware, though, that U.S. Treasuries are highly-priced although they are probably still cheap relative to other sovereign debt and my opinion is that they are cheap relative to corporate and municipal bonds.

However, do not be so certain that a crash is coming. I have been waiting for a crash since 2012 and it hasn't happened yet.

If I were to advise someone to invest his assets without regarding for timing of a crash, I would recommend the Permanent Portfolio (see the books written by Harry Browne on this subject.) The Permanent Portfolio (PP) is a blend of assets. A common, modified PP consists of 25% equities, 25% bonds, 25% cash, 25% commodities (real estate or precious metals).

For those who don't want to invest in a PP, I'd recommend a 70/30 mix of equities and bonds, 80/20 if you're in your teens or early 20s. If you're particularly paranoid about a crash, reduce the equity percentage to, say, 60/40.

after 1 Oct 2007 stock price fell from 75 to 16 within a year. Why?

Altria split into three companies: Altria (the U.S. tobacco business), Phillip-Morris International (the international tobacco business, and Kraft.

Kraft subsequently split into two itself: Mondelez (snack foods, etc. and has been bought out by Buffett) and Kraft (grocery stores or something like that, a slow-growing business).

If you had bought MO on 2007 and held until now, you made a very handsome return.

Company split its American and international divisions into separate businesses. MO is the American cigarette business, and PM is international.

Also obviously that was the beginning of the big crash.

>2016
>recommending a U.S. tobacco company
No wonder Veeky Forums is so poor.

money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/investing/americas-best-stock-ever/

The addictive product, demography fears, massive anti-tobacco campaigns, and avoidance of sin stocks has actually caused so much of a valuation discount that the returns have been obscene

>past results are not an indicator of future performance

go be 19 years old somewhere else

lonnie deals

>get proven massively wrong
>move the goalposts

Every time. I suppose Coke is also going to lose money because soda consumption is declining and soda taxes are going up. Because after all past results based on the exact same business model don't predict future performance :^)

Buy gold coins and keep them

You're retarded.

Who the fuck invests all their savings.....

>coin flip general

autist alert

Do this, max it out yearly, never withdrawl, and you'll have 1.4 million by 52.

Buy shares of Newtek (Newt). Hold it and collect the neat dividends.

Alternatively, DRIP into coke and pepsi if you have the patience and the regular income to sustain it.

VNQ
Get them nice REIT dividends.

>Newtek
holy shit i just looked that up. 10% dividends? that doesnt sound kosher, but there it is

>10% dividends
>100% 12-month decline in stock price
>net 90% loss

>take the $1,000 you have left and open a robinhood trading account
What is the Canadian equivalent to Robinhood?

well, a 1y look seems to be from ~$18 to current ~$13. 90% loss bro?

No they won't have that much money.

>bro?
And it takes a year to earn that dividend yield. Bro. Or did you not know that dividend years are quoted on an annualized basis? Bro? Bro? Bro?

buy RADS before the pump

there isn't one, gotta wait for robinhood to come to canada

I saw somebody post this last week. How do you know about the pump?

KNPD. won't be quick. but guaranteed.

Let's be specific.

What kind of return do you want? For how long? Can you stomach risk? Do you want to spend a lot of time in the investment or prefer as little as possible?