University/College

Was it worth it? If you could go back to before you went, what would you do?

>eurofag
>great education
>free education
>profit

If I could go back i'll go into A.I and not economics. Shit's the future

no i fucked up i took student loans and didn't finish i still haven't fully repay the loans and they cut into my investment profitability.

>Was it worth it? If you could go back to before you went, what would you do?
Absolutely not worth it, considering I am now self employed. The only worth is the piece of paper if you absolutely need it for employment, or you are the kind of person who cannot motivate themselves to learn by themselves.

If you intend to work for yourself, and have motivation, it's a complete waste of money.

I wouldn't change at all (linguistics/information systems) but I'd probably work full-time and study part-time rather than the other way around. Not sure why everyone seems to think that uni is just about getting a job.

financially speaking yes

in terms of mental and physical health no
college is a hostile place filled with terrible people

>go to Uni
>pay off with saving/part time job
>no debt
>graduate
>asked if want to do PhD with full scholarship
>paid to sit and read all day

Feels good man

>Do 4 years in Air Force as a meteorologist
> spend 2 years in Germany
>free tuition for undergrad and MBA
> also get paid $1600 a month + book allowance
> been living the life

I'd have either gone to the AFA or just taken my scholarship to an Ivy and been serious about it instead of sucking around and partying.

What is your job?

I really want to get accepted somewhere and go back, despite having known for about a year now I'll probably never be able to get a degree.

This is why Veeky Forums is so much better than reddit.

Anyway, it wasn't worth it for me and most of my friends. Everyone I went to school with taht I'm still in contact with are doing the following:

1. Working the same jobs they did whenever they were going to school.

2. Went back to school for something else / getting retrained in a trade

3. Still live with their parents

4. Killed themselves (yeah, a surprising number of my friends did this within five years of graduation)

Just a note, I was in multiple majors and these kids were all honor students.

That doesn't mean it won't be worth it for you, but you better pick something that you can get a job in or you're really fucking yourself over for the rest of your life. Working class people have a much harder time with a $68k student loan on jacked up interest than someone from a wealthier family. So a lot of people I know talk all this high-brow trash about "education being it's own reward" or whatever are the ones who consider a 68k loan a drop in the bucket.

At the end of the day, for me, it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It wasn't worth any of the money I paid for it, I considered it very easy and didn't feel very challenged, most of the students didn't care, the ones that were invested nerds like myself who loved the material all were disappointed with the experience. Basically it is a post-poned adolescence for a society of grown up, hyper-dependent babies. Just being competent and showing up to work on time is something that trumps a college education for most people in the job market. In fact, I've had nobody ask about my grades since I've graduated.

Maybe I should have studied engineering or something else, but even so there's no guarantee that it's worth it. I know a lot of people who graduated in the engineering field who are working as foremen and shit. They have jobs, but not what they studied.

If you could go back you should double major in CS (AI) with a minor or 2nd major in econ.

For all those not familiar with Econ, it provides you with the knowledge to build a successful business and have it scalable. I can not recommend studying economics enough.

Econ is to the financial world, what Physics is to the Physical world.

It was totally worth it, I got a degree, good experience, and met interesting people.

Of course I'm a eurofag and didn't pay a cent, I got paid.

I'd choose the same thing if I went back, desu.

USfag, need about $50,000 a year to go lol.

Juts for the record, I'm from the Us.

Go to Germany and you'll only need a few grand a year + all that "got degree abroad" prestige.

I honestly don't get why more muricans don't study abroad. It costs a fraction of a local degree and it's better in every way.

Damn, who is that gorgeous lady?

10/10 would invest in

>it's better in every way
except the opposite of that???

They don't really let Americans do that. If you're from the USA, they will require that you have money with you.

i would have gone to class, even the stupid as shit ones that i didn't care about, just to inflate my GPA

i would have gone to clubs and student organizations, even though they were stupid as shit and boring, just to put them on my resume

what i mean is, i would have done a lot more unfulfilling things i didn't want to do instead of doing what made me happy, in order to pad my resume

Obviously.

Do internship in field. Take advantage of the college system to place you in one. Doesn't matter if all you do is unpaid succ of dick, that internship will get you an entry level position in your field out of undergrad.

This

Anyone happen to know if internships at Chesapeake Energy are worth it, or will the company plummet within five years?

$50K a year

Less than $10K a year for me, but I live in the city the Uni is in, so i don't have to move out of my parents' place.

>Killed themselves
May I ask how many? I'm know a couple that might try to go before even graduating.

>getting in and out of college without owing the bank
That's the dream, man. What's the PhD in?

Still a freshman here. Do you happen to know what clubs are best for networking?

there are student versions of the professional organizations in your field. like in my major we have APICS and ISM chapters at the school, and they don't cost anything to join, unlike the real thing. sometimes professionals in the field will come and talk and meet students. potential to make an impression, get your internship, etc.

i am talking out of my ass but i don't think any of the student government / university run type organizations mean anything. all of the people i know with email signatures full of "vice treasurer of the student whatever whatever" are dumb as shit

and this is all speaking from hindsight. you couldn't have paid me to go to one of those boring, indian-filled meetings over watching a basketball game or reading a book. now that i am looking for a job, i wish i had just put up with it.