MIS (Management for Information Systems)

>Anyone here an MIS major or graduated from this major?
>How is the work in school and in a job?
>Is there a good amount of pay/job security? >What jobs do you usually do?

I was pretty interested in this major (accounting major freshman right now).

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Database_Administrator_(DBA)/Salary
payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Business_Analyst,_IT/Salary
payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Security_Analyst/Salary
payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Security_Consultant,_(Computing_/_Networking_/_Information_Technology)/Salary
payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Management_Consultant/Salary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Currently studying information systems, haven't graduated yet although I'll be applying for internships next year. It seems like there's lots of work out there (eg as a management/security consultant, business analyst, database administrator) but I haven't worked out exactly which role I'd be most interested in. I think with DBA there's a high risk of being offshored to vendors who have their servers located in India or wherever, and with security stuff there might be a risk in jobs being made redundant through automation (although over a much longer timescale). I think business analysis has lots of job openings and would suit me most, but employers typically ask for 1-2 years experience even for entry-level roles.

The degree suits me because I get to combine my interest in logic and data with strategy and economics. I'd much rather be doing this than accounting or an MBA or whatever, although I'm considering getting a diploma in math or computer science after this just to increase my technical pedigree.

What year are you in uni/college?

Also, how much do you think these jobs will pay?

I'm doing my Master's, in first semester currently. My bachelor degree is in linguistics/international relations and the job I have now is related to that, and I'm doing MIS because I want to work more with databases and international strategy.

Here are some estimates (in Australian dollars) of median salaries for some of the roles I've mentioned:

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Database_Administrator_(DBA)/Salary

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Business_Analyst,_IT/Salary

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Security_Analyst/Salary

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Security_Consultant,_(Computing_/_Networking_/_Information_Technology)/Salary

payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Management_Consultant/Salary

Check whether the data is the same for your country first though. My sense is that the advantageous standard salaries of these types of positions are accompanied by greater competitiveness to get one's foot in the door than some other jobs. My uni offers an internship where they pair you up with an IS/IT organisation so I'm going to try take advantage of that.

Have you taken any MIS classes or know how they are? At the college I go to, most business majors only take 2-3 so my friends who are juniors don't really know how they are

Yeah, so at the moment I'm taking database systems, data warehousing, business analysis and informatics. Is I've sort of alluded to, it's got some technical aspects (I'm doing SQL now and will be doing Java next term) but not nearly so as a computer science degree, and it's got some of the business strategy stuff that an MBA or management major might do, but restricted more to the domain of IT/IS. As far as how they are, I think I'd need a more specific question to answer.

I know asking "Are they hard" is a very subjective way to judge classes but is the material relatively easy to grasp as in it is more literal than "Opinion based". I like technology and business if that helps

If you like technology and business it might be for you. A lot of people do MIS with the eventual intention of becoming a CIO or similar business executive inclined towards technology. I'd say it's not hard at all, but there is a mix between 'literal' versus 'opinion-based' content. An SQL query is either write or right, even though there are different ways of writing a wrong query versus a right one, so the more technical aspect of the degree is more 'literal' if you like. The aspects of MIS that have to do with business analysis and strategy are more opinion-based in the sense that IT governance and so on can have multiple solutions, but it isn't just arbitrary - even the opinion-based stuff has to be supported with evidence and argument.

*either wrong or right

I think the "opinion based" in terms of a business is not as much of a concern for me, but if the building blocks are somewhat like that I don't do as well.

The only analogy I can only think of is if you are learning programming and instead of teaching you the basics of C++, they tell you to build your own language off the bat. I am weary of this just because of some terrible gen-eds I have to take that make you essentially do that

If I was in your position I'd see what the specific MIS courses at your uni do in terms of programming. Where I am they only really deal with established languages that are broadly applicable to business like SQL, Java and Python. They're not training people to be expert programmers or anything like that.

Oh I don't think programming is a large part of it, I was just using programming as an example as it seemed applicable. I just wanted to know if the info was presented a certain way. There used to be a class where you could learn about the classes as a freshman but they recently got rid of it

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by how the info is presented. Tell me what you would consider an ideal way of presenting the info, and ways of presenting the info that you'd want to avoid. Like I mentioned, there's no building of programming languages from the ground up in MIS, and even the technical aspects are always informed by the business case (ie what kind of system does the business need in order to improve its competitiveness?) and so on.

I'm saying how math is taught (structural based where there are set rules, with interpretation later on) vs English/Philosophy where it is very opinion/interpretation based where there are practically no rules

As I've said, the programming aspects are closer to the math side, while the business strategy aspects are less black and white. However, none of it is as open as English literary criticism, and there always has to be support with evidence and argument as I said. When you're doing business analysis, you're meant to think about whether your answer will be effective and produce results rather than if it is 'correct' in some absolute sense.

>got bs in information systems in 2005
>starting salary 30k
>got tired of shitty pay
>quit to be neet
>apply to dozens of jobs
>not a single interview
>been neet for 5 years

>11 years ago
>Thinking people care after being unemployed that long

Work on certification or AA from community college. Like said, 11 years is way too fucking ling

ANyone have information on Computer Information Systems? As I've heard the careers are pretty close?

I'm about to graduate with a management degree and concentration in MIS.

I'm a few weeks I have a second round interview for a Business Analyst support role with a medical device company. I have an offer for an IT call center job.

That being said, I feel my degree is somewhat worthless. I didn't learn any hard IT skills, aside from basic web design. Getting this degree was easy, very easy. I should have done something harder. I should have done CS or engineering, or at least taught myself to code along the way.

At this point I feel I'm b.s.-ing my way into IT and hoping this fancy sounding degree from a decent school + 2 internships will get me somewhere in life.

Fuck the call center job. What medical device company? I worked at a big one for 10 years in IT and I know all of the BSAs. IT in the place is sort of dysfunctional, but it's a really solid company and you'll be able to use it to get your career going.

You were write the first time..

user did say NEET for 5 years, not 11.
Still, way too long unemployed.

>been NEET for 5 years
>got bs in information systems in 2015
>hired right out of school
>starting salary 30k
>about to quit because shitty pay
This is creepy.

You're probably not going to be a hard core engineer with a MIS degree... those will go to CS/EE majors and all the Indians we import.

Your MIS career will probably go the technical program/project management route.

Atlot of PJMs can't handle technical projects due to lack of knowledge. That's where you fit in.

Usually an MBA sometime down the road and you'll do fine being a tech manager.

But you need to keep refreshing your tech knowledge or get left behind.

I encourage you not to quit. Being NEET after you get your degree makes you toxic as fuck when it comes to employment.

Yeah I understand, I have to be extra careful since I have a gaping hole in my resume already.
But I've spent nearly a year at this job and I have believable reasons for wanting to leave my company, it should be okay if I find something else soon.

seriously, find something else BEFORE you quit. i cannot stress this enough.

I only had to take one

Probably not the same company, mine is Conmed

Everyone I know that did MIS is doing desktop support at a helpdesk.

Information Systems major here.

What the fuck do I do?

What about a business management degree? What are some good entry level positions for them? I'm about to graduate with one.

Bump for interest