youtu.be/VQszVWxYjSw
youtu.be/qQOppPHIOHk
youtube.com/watch?v=8Swhe8StttU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>all those prints
would not work irl even if you are model looking

maximalist heaven

god bless michele

FF6-core, why don't we see people like this on the streets?

Is maximalism the future?

in the short term, in response to minimalism, sure. then minimalism will be the future again.

it's not a terribly successful mix of prints, but it's the look that best displayed that stupid sweater, and i really like the stupid sweater

>le work only if you modeltier or genderfluid twink

minimalism is gay and safe

If I see "we're a brand creating the essentials" one more time

"essentials" is a corny meme word

I love everything Gucci's doing

he's turned the entire fashion world on it's feet. regardless if you like what he's doing you have to appreciate him pretty much taking control and reconstructing such an established brand to suit his concepts

if you check out am's ig you can totally see his refrences and inspirations and how consistent he is with translating it through fashion

mariachi-tier

rocky's been on it for a little while

well, yeah. celebs.

I love this

LOVE THIS. traditional slav meets addidas tracksuit slav meets oligarch meets slavic grandmas furniture

bows & ribbons

>those beat up stan smiths
what the fuck rocky

waifu material

Does he have a prosthetic leg or something? That's looking messed up

bobobo?

If I wanted gaudy and maximal, I'd wear Dries.

>Gucci

completely different, there's much more dark undertones with dvn. gucci is more of an eccentric contemporary take on english prep, it feels much more celebratory as well but i guess you could argue it has to do with the brand/director's politics and values. i will agree it takes a much more specific person to pull off gucci though

side note, i love lechford/michele's ad campaigns
youtu.be/sNcwD4LtPi4
youtu.be/eqRFakcKjBA
youtu.be/VQszVWxYjSw
youtu.be/qQOppPHIOHk

>english prep

And everything else really, his vision spans a number of different cultures and eras, brings them together and balances them perfectly as to give them a timeless quality. Is it contemporary or is it vintage? Is it ugly or so ugly it's good? etc. so much fun

I actually disagree, I think one of the greatest thing about gucci is that it's very inclusive and there's something for everyone. I'm assuming you mean that it takes someone more specific to "pull it off" because alot of the pieces can be quite eccentric and maximalist but again there's more than enough basics and easy going pieces for anyone to pick up for casual wear. I think it's way harder to pull off dvn because you have to project a definite masculine core, whereas with gucci you're free to express both "man" and "boy"

of course this is speaking in reference to the proposed vision on the runway, doesn't necessarily apply in day to day wear because the "rules" and making it "work" depends on the person and how they style it

I was actually at the Gucci store yesterday wanting to buy a belt but they were sold out and wouldn't be getting any new in for a few months which surprised me, because with staples I had automatically assumed they would be accessible at all times in all channels but I remembered luxury houses have to be very strategic with (volume of) distribution as to not overexpose their product

The sales associate was doing his job obviously not in touch with the new direction of the brand, still very much rooted in shilling of luxury expensive manly goods for "product oriented" men, which is totally fair because that's still the demographic and consumer base, the consumers who wholly appreciate and embrace the artistic direction of the brand behind the product, and incorporate the proposal into their worldview apart from simply wearing the garments are a minority.

There was such a painfully obvious disconnect between the sales associates and the "purist" appreciators of the brand (at least at the location I visited), which is nobody's fault, and again, it's exactly the way it's supposed to be and I really have no business critiquing it because I'm not the consumer the products are intended for, I'm not the one who keeps them in business. But it just sucks it has to be that way, fashion retail in general fucking sucks, I wish more stores can be like DSM, a place where fashion nerds are welcome to nerd out creative dialogues are constantly established and fostered between designers, retail, and consumers.

But after I left the store and was reflecting on the experience I was reminded, and to an extent consoled, by Alessandro Michele's spiritual direction of the brand. I recall reading that he and Marco Bizzarri had decided the brand should encourage love as one of its core values, and that it had to be understood throughout the entire company, at every level, even making personal trips to stores in rural locations to make sure that their artistic, and spiritual / interpersonal direction was understood, again, at a personal level. They said it was going to take time to have it trickle down and manifest all the way down to the sales floor, which obviously in my experience / area it has not, but it was very comforting to know that the designer whose work I so admire makes active effort to be more inclusive, that he understands.

Gucci is so amazing 4 me because when I first discovered Alessandro Michele and saw glimpses of his worldview I felt immediately connected, like this guy gets me, he looks through a similar lens in life. It's more of a spiritual feeling, present in the apparent way he perceives, absorbs, and creatively manifests beauty in the world, like a vessel for the fleeting yet eternal nature of beauty, every action thoughtful and imbued with grace.

I read an interview with him where he was saying music and fashion are the same thing for him, they are both experiential and expressive in nature, that he doesn't see them as separate things. And that to me is the the best fucking thing ever to hear, because I've felt very strongly that fashion should be more experiential in nature, something fun to take part of and incorporate into your lifestyle but to forget about while you go out and experience everything.

That's why physical (which then moves onto social comfort) comfort is so important, that's why nonchalance is the ultimate key to fashion and style. It's just been very hard to try to do the gucci codes and styling justice, while at the same time incoporating my own flair into it, while at the same time making sure I am completely comfortable and don't feel out of place in the clothes.

Yesterday I wore a thrifted beige tshirt, a semi boxy black wool yohji 3 button blazer with beige contrast stitching along the edges of the lapels, vintage high waisted light wash jeans, and some brown campers with beige laces. It was the closest to gucci style I'd gotten so far, and I thought a double buckle g belt in black leather with some white socks and the new square toed vegas loafers from the cruise collection would be a really cool look, but upon wearing it out I realized the jeans needed to be hemmed (cuffed 3x for a crop but it was too heavy leading into the shoes, and threw off how the pants hung off my waist), I think I'm gonna get em hemmed to desired length + 1 inch so I can just cuff once. The blazer was also hard to wear because the silhouette looked perfect when standing but clashed with my posture and would "lean forward" too aggressively, covering the middle and hiding the belt / tuck.

This year I want to thrift more and finally start buying some gucci pieces but yeah god damn is it expensive, I want a belt, some shoes and a ring but that's gonna cost me like 1900 sheesh

I'm also very wary about making such hefty purchases at retail because I've gone through so many clothes in the last few years to know how often my style shifts depending on my mood / experiences I've had in life like even something like a new haircut I had that changes the entire way I look at / envision myself.

That's also another reason I feel so disconnected with luxury retail / sales associates / regular consumers because alot of them it is almost thought that, or the attitude is one of "yo buy this thing and you're set man you're killing it fuck gg" because they're as aware or as inquisitive about their own relationship to dress and how that plays out in their lifestyle, which again is fair and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, that's how fashion works, they're the normal ones, I'm the one who's autistic and questions / thinks too much about this shit, but still it sucks when you walk into a store full of all these brands and shit you absolutely fucking love to death beyond just the products and not being able to express that or connect with someone who feels the same way about it. At department stores you hide your power level and let some dudebro be like yo! dude! yeah jw anderson this shits sick man! and talk about pieces and seasons and items in a total fashion bro type of way like that's a sick bomber jacket man! man! while you just stand there being polite and let them do their job and try to introduce you to brands or drop knowledge on things you already knew about a year ago because all you do is read about fashion on a daily basis autistically

man!

they're not as* aware

i kind of didn't finish that train of thought, i meant that when you try on enough clothes and shit you start to get into the extreme specifics of why things work and why they don't, and because they're not as autistic they are completely and fully satisfied upon the moment of purchase and wear, whereas for autists it's more of a challenge because you're like "alright, this thing is really cool, but how am i gonna make it really and not look like a fashion victim, and also feel like "me" in it.

That's also the other thing, I've (sometimes accidentally, through being aware of / seeing / absorbing the various parallel trends going on via instagram) been able to put together really "good" fits that are part of x trend or y look or z style, but i wear it out and it feels so fucking bad (although people are like damn dude i really like what you're wearing who are you where are you from and they're visibly taken that they're seeing someone irl dressed like the cool peeps they see only on instagram) because I'm like wow this is so not me and i'm projecting an image of myself out into the world that opposes everything i actually am into / stand for

and it almost even makes you act or react in a bit of a different way because you almost become aware of the subtle nuances in behaviour that are expected of someone who is dressing themselves like that and going out into the streets

which is a weird shitty feeling so nowadays if i'm not going to go full out i just go out full normal. ideally i'd be able to navigate all situations and functions in varying amplifications of the same song, calibrating as appropriate / necessary. But for now my wardrobe lacks the variety / inventory for me to do that, so in the meantime while i work towards it i'd rather project complete non-participation in fashion over a false representation.

i meant how the look is presented as in the models they use appointed by the cd himself. think of hierarchal portraits commissioned by the wealthy who breathed through the beauty standard at the time. every face in AM's gucci has a similar white youthful androgynous, sort of noodling tones of purity, it's certainly intended and i'm not complaining but it's being ostracized (like every other collection of every other popular house/brand since the social 'progressive' movement) for the lack of other groups represented. this is nothing new in fashion but gucci in particular takes it to where it's like these type of people are the ones "intended" for the clothing similar to hedi slimane's slp but that "intended" demographic is no where to be seen because the only people who can afford gucci are the wealthy

Or instead of complete non-participation (gildan hoodies, thrifted jeans, shit shoes), sometimes participation in secret also gives you the same deal when you can't be affording to look like a total lazy bum. Yohji does this for me, and I think the reason I'm into both yohji and alessandro is because they both have very strong visions of and emotional sensitivity to beauty, that manifest in different ways. They're also both manchilds, again in different ways. and im a manchild too and want to be a manchild forever. thats why i love manchildren who make manchild fashions and don't take themselves and life 110% seriously

fuck me this thread is glorious and i wish it was the only reason i continue to browse fa

please continue your expressions

That's exactly what I love about it, with some brands you can't be a "weird" looking guy, you have to have traditionally handsome features to really make it work but with gucci the proposed vision is off beat, and "off beat" can be so many things, "weird" can be interpreted in so many different ways. I think I'm a weird lookin guy which is why I'm into it, because it lets me take it and put my own spin on it, whereas I can't do that with something that has a very narrow vision like slp, no matter how much i love it and how much i try. This is also the reason I (and everoyne else) loves cdg, because it's so weird and open to interpretation, you're owning up to your weird looks and taking it one step further like, yeah i look weird, fuck it lets just get weirder whatever

i still do enjoy seeing people wear gucci out on the streets though even if it's just the wealthy who don't care much for its direction, at least it's getting worn

and sometimes i see some rich chinese guy wearing gucci (or some other luxury brand) in such a chinese way that totally fucks up and goes against the proposed vocabulary of the brand that it's almost good, well not good but interesting or food for thought / visual stimulus because it's like lool hes wearing it so fucking weird that it's good and he has no idea

or sometimes i even just see it exactly for what it is, a cultural antidote, "exhibit a : a chinese boy in the year 2017 who is into the latest brands, in this case gucci" would be the blurb or something with his photo on a "history of fashion in the 21st century" book decades down the line

what i guess i'm trying to say is i can appreciate stuff sometimes for being exactly what it is, it shouldn't and can't be anything else at this point in time.

i thought gucci was good until i saw this copycat bullshit. looks like shit, and im not the "hhaah if you wore this on the street everybody would laugh xDDDDD" kind of person.

Like seeing people just wearing it without being totally self conscious (because they're not aware that it looks "corny", they believe it looks good) and being confident while not looking exactly "fashionable" is quite beautiful and charming for what it is, which is why i can never get angry at chinese people for wearing things a certain way, etc. (which is a sentiment i also can relate to because i used to be like this, but if you are still like this i implore you to take a step back and think about why things like this make you react in certain ways)

like seeing that awkward looking chinese girl in some gucci shoes she bought because she thought they were super cute, not cute in the "knowing of high fashion" sense but a genuine liking for things that play on the strings of her feminine nature, there's beauty in that. I think fahsion autists (including me) can habour fucking weird insecurities that get expressed in fucking weird ways like habouring malicious feelings for group xyz, which again is understandable because i have that too alot of the time but upon honest investigation it always comes down to the fact that you're being an egoic insecure person, so let that go

which is not to say you can't disagree with the intentions / actions of group xyz, and that you have to agree with everything and "everyone is right in their own way! respect everyone's opinions!!" bullshit, but acknowledge and understand things for what they are and don't give it more time and energy than you need afterwards.

I don't think that's the leading message of that product, the old gucci knockoff graphics have been out of the public eye for decades, so nobody would understand the reference as being "haha fake gucci but real am i right hue", the new graphic has now been defined in the mainstream today as just being a "gucci graphic tee", nobody thinks about it like "oh that person is wearing that gucci tshirt, which is based off of knockoff gucci from the 80s, and wanting to signify their ironic sense of style to other people in the know! ha!", people just think "oh hey that person's wearing that new gucci tshirt"

It's more of this contemporary idea of redefining luxury, and yes it's not really clever but it's just for fun, you know, people want graphic tees today and bringing old knockoff graphics back was just a fun way to do it that made sense for the times. It also relates to the bending / mix&matching of period dress that is one of the foundations of its new direction

i didnt mean it like that, these pieces just seem very unoriginal to me. i dont even know anything about gucci. you are probably right though

When did Veeky Forums get here. Not that i'm complaining

>in the meantime while i work towards it i'd rather project complete non-participation in fashion over a false representation.

i've been doing this so long that projecting complete non-participation is the only thing that feels like the truth anymore.

Same dude same

bump

w2c shoes and socks

idk, maybe try gucci you fucking moron

W2C whole fit

i meant specifically what name of the fit and fashion week w season u moron

discussion seems to be dying...

youtube.com/watch?v=8Swhe8StttU

anyone have any thoughts on this show?

>not gucci

Get out

Also discussion starts with u, what do u think about the show?

This is fucking terrible. How did it become a meme?

Gucci just resell shit from flea markets

I think the accessories of the show were interesting, most notably the shoulderpads and ushanka/cossack hats, I felt like the emphasis on tough, bulky additives helped lift the silhouettes and make it come across as quite bully-ish and confident, which are feelings I quite like. This could contrast to some of the flimsy, shiny trousers and the vibrant, pop-y colour palette, which I'm not crazy about, but I still think it works.

cont.

but it didn't have an emotional impact on me, not nearly as much as Gucci.

they look better than common projects. Both rocky and raf simons himself only wear og greenbacks.

You can find plenty of rings in the same aesthetic and mood that fits Alessandros vision, his personal ring collection obviously isn't gucci but antique stuff he finds. The gucci rings are inspired by the rings you can find at your local auction and thrift and second hand market. So attack the source and go find those gems instead of going broke for the corporate meme.

Also mirin your dedication to the vision. I just let my taste influence where and what I purchase, I don't go hunting for the very right features and modifications to my clothing, so I'm admiring that

I remember when watching the pics of that show, my impression was that it was just helmut, old raf and a splash of dries in one, not something extremely original in itself. Like obviously it looks kinda original and niched but I just think it takes credit for everything which has already been done so I didn't like it

i'm not particularly clued-up in Helmut or Dries but I do understand your old Raf comment. Still, looking like something isn't the same as taking credit, could be a complimentary reference to previous styles/finishings.

Fair enough if you didn't like it though, obviously nowhere near Gucci tier.

bumping, just because this is a better board when things like this are on it.

not a meme until kardashians and or kanye wear it and zara makes copies

palewave is dead, we loudcore now.

I love this #Veeky Forums merge
I think it's great how gucci has managed to seamlessly take inspiration from lots of different eras and make them into one iconic look.

in the last link, the 2016 Cruise ad video, why are there so many people complaining the models are skinny? Isn't that the norm for fashion?

fat people like to complain about thin people

gross

yah, how quickly maximalism becomes ed hardy tier when done poorly, or cheaply, or styled wrong, or on the wrong person.

i wonder if most people can tell the difference between gaudiness that's cheap, tacky, and ignorant and gaudiness that's a considered, thoughtful, expression of an idea or theme.

can a non-10/10 white person pull off that shirt?

i like the sweater

>2017
>still worshiping Moloch
Gucci is pleb tier.

Very inciteful reflections. You made this really a quality thread. I too enjoy looking at am's ig for his inspiration but I've never gone this deep. v nice

more im worried about not being able to afford full stone island

good contribution, cool comment

>tfw gucci aint that great unless ur a model

I actually think this one works
is there something wrong with me effay?

are you the guy that sometimes posts threads on fashion events with commentary? i really like your posts