Want to get a trade

>want to get a trade
>be australian
>hear how easy it is in the USA
>just sign up and presto you get qualified
>meanwhile in australia
>have to know someone in the FBI (Friends, brothers, inlawns) or CIA (cousins, inlaws, aunties)
>or apply to a job advert
>literally more chance of winning the lottery

JUST
REFORM

try r9k

ok..

What the hell are you talking about? You dont just go down the office and get your pick of licenses in the U.S. You need to prove years of experience, take classes, and past tests that are only administered a couple times a year and pay a good amount in fees.
>boohoo I have to apply for a job like everyone else
fuck off Steve

Try getting an apprenticeship in any trade here in Aus while being over 21. Almost impossible

have you tried telling them you will sweep floors and dig holes for $10/hr? Laborer is typically how you get in the trades in the U.S. People rarely go straight into an apprenticeship without laboring a couple years

We have laws about pay rates here

I'm not looking for a trade, but I used to be in the industry. Basically min wage for young apprentices is like half that of what they would legally have to pay an older apprentice.

As for cheap labour, it's pretty dead-end here. Apprenticeships are the only way to get trades and are just cheap labour for the most part.

4 year apprenticeships are the norm here, if you're gonna be too old you have a way harder time getting hired. Most apprentices are high school dropouts who start at 16-18. The attrition rates are crazy but there is still no incentive to hire older people except the inherent reliability.

Mate i'm a young apprentice who dropped out of high school, i see more apprentices over the age of 21 all the time.

If you don't know anyone then just put in resumes all the time and call up and ask, study or get some experience if you can beforehand so when it comes time for the interview you can show off.

Why is age an issue? Cant just be min wage if it's a 4 year program, they'll be aged up before then anyway. Most people want to hire guys who are past their crazy younger days and have responsibilities like rent or a family. Labor is not dead end. It is dead end for guys who dont pick up experience. You start as a laborer, then go buy a tapemeasure or whatever. I always tell young guys, "buy the tool for the job you want to do." No one is going to hand you experience, it is something you have to show initiative to get

Im not saying youre wrong, i just hear the same complaints from Americans, most of whom expected to be babied into a cushy journeyman position instead of showing initiative.

At least you don't have 30k of student loans and a boring office job like I do OP.

>Why is age an issue?

It costs businesses more if their apprentice start the apprenticeship when they are 21+

IIRC mature age doesn't start until 24

I'm 30+ so I'm fucked anyway

Well what are your experiances/skills and what trade are you interested in doing? I've meet a couple of 30+ apprentices so you still got hope

I'm in hospo and I want to to HVAC / electrical / plumbing

I have cert II in electrical

Well mate i can't help you out in that trade, but the cert II should help make you stand out a little. Honestly just try everywhere and don't give up. Most places i've seen don't worry about the age of people as long as your willing to work bloody hard. Sorry i can't help you out and gave you corny advice mate

At least you can still feel superior to those dumb fuck university students though.

And herin lies the problem with Australian $20 minimum wage. Nobody but an 'fbi' is going to invest the $70,000 (full time over two years) it's going to take to turn you into a profitable part of their business. The $70k isn't even counting the innumerable times you fuck something up and cost the company more time and effort to fix it; that's just your 'I'm learning how to not be completely useless pay'.

are you fucking retarded cunt?
Australian here. if i wanted to do a trade tomorrow i could get one that easy. you're probably some bogan fuck that sucks off the system. that literally applies for one job then goes onto the internet to cry about how theres no work.

this is bullshit. If you want to be a skilled tradesman, just start doing it. If you wanna be a carpenter, build a fence in your back yard, take pictures, and show them to a company. Youtube will teach you how to build just about anything.

All I'm heaing from half these posts is, "It's not fair no one is babbying me and holding my hand." This is real life. Deal with it. I have more work right now than ever before because kids arent taking the initiative and blaming their failure at life's challenges on others

Canadian here
I've been trying to continue my electrical apprenticeship, Applied to over 50+ places so far and doing follow up phone calls.
Can't seem to get an interview. Im in my 3rd year but I feel like people look at my resume and think im going to jump ship at the next opportunity I see open.
Also have an electrical technician dimploma.