How to avoid dressing like a stereotype?

How to avoid dressing like a stereotype?
You don't want people making assumptions about you, do you?

Fashion is complicated, it's really hard to not look like anything else. I've tried and people are confused, like they can't figure out my niche or social class lol.

if you wear something people will think stuff of you... that's how it is.

just dress however you feel comfortable dressing, if people want to meme over your style or similar styles then why care? Most styles can and will be stereotyped or simplified for humorous points in one way or another, you shouldn't let that dictate the way you percieve and present yourself

>like they can't figure out my niche or social class
How do you archieve such a look?
I want my clothes to be an extension of myself instead of a simple uniform.

I just wore a daily outfit that consisted of things that coincidentally weren't associated with anything else.

it "didn't look like anything" but it wasn't weird enough to look ridiculous. Do you see how difficult and kind of futile this is.

im sorry, but thats just impossible. Unless you make your own clothes from raw materials we dont know about, any clothes you wear will say something about you wether you like it or not. People are probably more confused because the outfit doesnt make any sense, not because they cant figure out anything about you, in fact they figure out that you have no clear sense of style

yes I try to let the opie know, but I just wore coveralls overalls and no matter what always a bandana wrapped on my head

Man I remember the days when you had to get inspiration from seeing someone doing something on the street or building together stuff you found interesting or cool from a store. Knowledge was passed around person-to-person and fashion just spread that way.

These days everyone fits into something the internet deems a meme. You can't wear one thing without belonging to some sort of "group" or "identity". And people are just ripping their inspiration and looks straight from the internet. Everyone is into high designer fashion now, it used to be a fairly enclosed club. I mean, this could be a good thing because it made it more accessible. But these kids have no clue what the meaning behind everything is. I'm not even going to start with everyone trying to make a quick buck on whatever instagram trash trend there is...

Sorry not even relevant to this thread, I just got triggered.

i think one to not look like anything is to dress plain like
jeans
white tee
black jeans
black tee
grey tee...

and add 1 minor accessory like a necklace to look unique i guess.

that way people see you as just "some random person"

If you dress how you want to dress you probably wont look like everyone else who dresses to fit in. Having a more unique look comes off better anyway.

kids these days...

Also last advice: I think you're troubled by that starter pack meme because you're aware people see you as a stereotype, just stop caring. Its just a dumb joke, not that important.

its impossible to do if youre under 20

just accept it, teens dont have the mental capacity to be able to dress both "fashionably" and not in a stereotypical way, be it from a fashion catalog or the look of some subculture

When I was 17 I dressed with earthy bomber jackets, dark grey/black t shirts, dark pants and boots. Is this stereotypical?

dont dress like a stereotype

AKA

dont try too hard

wake up and say "within the parameters of my own self-discipline and with my goals and plans for the day in mind, I'm going to do whatever the fuck I want to"

I do that and it works for me. I'm an 18 y/o senior in HS and people have absolutely no idea what to label me as, and I love that. This is your trip you got to just do what you feel and wear what you feel.

hotline miami wave

>cont

that being said I wear uniqlo and allsaints only, with some haider and rick every now and then if I can afford it. I used to rock with supreme as a young buck but that's not really my thing anymore.

I'm also a little retarded from smoking weed since I was 14 and quick sequences of adderall abuse but yeah kinda doing my own thing.

Were you a skinhead

It's Basic Bitch: Male Edition to the letter, so yes.

>You can't wear one thing without belonging to some sort of "group" or "identity"
this has literally always been true. it's only recently that it's become a bad thing to be a part of any cohesive group, for some reason. like punks/goths/counterculture were proud to be part of their own culture, as long as it wasn't the same as the mainstream one.

the closest thing we have now is internet/social media addicted assholes, really

Nah, I have curly hair which is a bitch

I mean if you want to you can put everyone into a stereotype.

Learn the basics of how fashion works (color coordination, etc) and just wear what you think looks good, you'll naturally have your own look

take starter pack memes with a grain of salt. they mean nothing. wear what you want.

>high school: the thread

You have to be 18+ to use this website.

I know a girl who use these kind of collar
WHAT THE FUCK MEANS???

>You have to be 18+ to use this website.

she obeys trends and fits in with her peers.

yes

>You don't want people making assumptions about you, do you?

well that's obviously impossible to avoid. people make tons of assumptions about you just based on your face and physical attributes

Are you sure?

Witnessed

whoever makes these spends way too much time on the internet

nice blog post

post a fit or shut the fuck up

I've seen , ,

Checked

Take Crowbcat out of that picture. His channel is gold.

He is always late to the party tho, especially with ME:Andromeda still a good vid

This is just everything nu/mu/ likes

stereotypes are good and safe. Conforming is good for you. Don't stray from the pack.

this

normies always scream dont conform blah blah blah but theyre too stupid to realize that there is no greater joy than fitting in

theyve simply never experienced being the autistic one out

Your outward appearance is your easiest way for you to communicate to others what you are like. Why would you try and confuse people? It's impossible to not dress like a stereotype, you might as well align with what stereotype you are closest to in order to more easily make contact with people of a similar mindset.

>shaming young people
get a life

This would def be me had I been born 10 years later. Still tho

>fuck millennials!!

>pointing out stereotypes/cliches in the youth is "shaming" them

The answer is people make stereotypes about you whatever you do. I spent enough of my life worrying about this. Just go about living your life. There are many stereotypes I fit snuggly into but I just go about my life and if anyone accuses me of being a stereotypical white male I make them feel bad for attacking me in light of my anxiety and depression. You can always win the oppression game if you play your cards right.

>Doc martens
check (but they're just brown boots)
>audio-technica turntable
check
>tumblr
check
>this exact picture of mac demarco
check on my phone
>that specific fleet foxes album
check but I listened to them back in like 2013
>macintosh plus
check but I recognize it's a meme now
>olive beanie
checkarooni

Please leave me alone

these are stupid. starter packs should be a few pictures. at this point it just throwing bricks at the wall and hoping it hits. i mean, look at it. instagram in a starterpack? everyone is using it for fucks sake. or wikipedia?

>But these kids have no clue what the meaning behind everything is.

you mean capitalism?

Checked
Evil satan quints

These are hysterical, all the unoriginal faggots get mad when you point out how similar they all are

Lol at the people that got mad at this
Check out the waywt threads, everyone wants to look like that

I know a person who changed everything about him because he didn't want to be seen as anyone else. He got weird tattoos, listened to death metal (he used to like rap/pop, now he hates it), grew his hair long, read philosophy books... All to be different.

First hour ever of browsing Veeky Forums summed up:

>1 in 10 people who dress good

>wtf is this shit really called fashion?

>why are all the men thin as twigs?

>teens whom have raided their parents old clothes and looks like clowns, calling it fashion

Please tell me it hasn't always been like this

>1 in 10 people who dress good
always been like that
>wtf is this shit really called fashion?
Yep, welcome
>why are all the men thin as twigs?
been like that more or less forever
>teens whom have raided their parents old clothes and looks like clowns, calling it fashion
this is new phenomena, no idea why it's so popular right now
the big mistake you did you chose waywt as any sorta representative of the board, they are very cirlcejerky and the same people post over and over, probably more than half of the people here never post in wawyts case they know better

It's ironic that those who try so hard to be different often end up being the most homogenous groups in society. Their desire for difference unifies them.

>instagram in a starterpack? everyone is using it for fucks sake.
That's interesting, I have a very wide circle of friends and only one of them uses it, so I always assumed it was a less relevant platform, like tumblr

chokers are such a blessing

i love em

I personally call it the nonconformist conformist effect

the harder you try to be unique, the bigger of a meme you become, whereas if you just unironically liked whatever you did without worrying about being unique, you would have actually been more unique in that sense.

>flac
That's just about audio quality dumbass

I exclusively wear black t-shirts with no graphics and black straight leg pants (usually Dickies or Levis). I've dressed this way for a very long time. People obviously make assumptions about me that are generally wrong, but I don't care.

t. triggered cause this pack applies to me

>People obviously make assumptions about me that are generally wrong, but I don't care.

Such as?

I also dress all black, all the time.

Yes you do. That's the whole point of dressing deliberately rather than just saying
>I'm cold, need sweater
and buying one semi-randomly from Wal Mart.

You work out what things you wish to communicate to the person that looks at you and you dress according to that.

>instagram in a starterpack? everyone is using it for fucks sake

Only awful people use instagram. So if you wanted to shame someone for being awful that would be a mandatory feature of starter packs.

>You work out what things you wish to communicate to the person that looks at you and you dress according to that.

No, I work out what aesthetic I find appealing and dress according to that.

If you truly do that you are literally fedora-tier. I mean that precisely.
Guys that get it into their heads to wear fedoras do so because they are dressing for themselves and not considering how they look to others.

it's allowed to be a "bad" thing now because of how segmented people are since free reign with info means people can develop niche interests and it seems a lot of fashion conscious people do. you have pseudo polymaths running around that feel super trivialized when someone less e-oriented/concerned labels them

Huh, this is a smart comment.

You're a literal idiot.

No it's not.

The problem with it is that it assumes the average out of touch/autistic fedora wearer isn't wearing the fedora to look "classy" to others. They aren't dressing for themselves, they're dressing for others to perceive them to be classy, while lacking the social perspective to realize what they are truly perceived as.

>tfw finally left this phase
Criterion is still a great resource though

You haven't made an argument there, slick. Aesthetics do not exist in a vacuum. Either you are a liar or you are a fedora. If you look good you are dressing to what looks good. To what people will see you wear and say "nice fit."

>out of touch

To what do you need to be "in touch" with if you are dressing for yourself? You don't need to be in touch with anything, just your own amusement. If you are "in touch" with what looks good you are dressing with other people in mind.
Speaking of out of touch I believe you are way off with this "classy" thing. I think that is playing to how we make fun of the fedora rather than what the fedora really is.
If he wanted to look classy even as he failed badly he'd be doing something like... Wearing an oversized thrifted suit.
His cargo pants suggest classiness is not the goal.
To attempt to "look classy" speaks to something the fedora does not really possess or practice. To imagine himself in the position of another person that is looking at him.
If he did this he would not fail as miserably as he does.

This attitude many Veeky Forums people claim to have these days is just childish. Being Veeky Forums is not a solo activity. Other people have to see you.

If you look shitty to everyone on the planet except you then you are not Veeky Forums at all. If you look good to people it's not an accident, you've anticipated their perspective and dressed for favorable opinion.
It's not a bad thing to do that. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Man, just wear whatever the fuck you want and stop giving so much of a shit about what other people think within reason.

how can you be so alienated to think that everyone else perceives your fucking fedora as classy? I've literally NEVER met anyone, let alone any girl who finds a fedora to be a good looking hat. literally everyone who I've discussed fedoras with told me they think its ugly and retarded as fuck

>Theory of mind refers to the notion that many autistic individuals do not understand that other people have their own plans, thoughts, and points of view. Furthermore, it appears that they have difficulty understanding other people's beliefs, attitudes, and emotions.

Ok but obviously not everyone who wears a fedora has autism

>obviously
Its 2017.
Autism.

Yeah I reckon it's basically the same thing, though. They're isolated people with no friends so they aren't used to thinking about others and they don't receive feedback from friends, family, girls etc.

I remember one time I said 'sup? to a friend and he made fun of me for being a dumb faggot. I'm glad he did.

How do you guys feel about having quotes on shirts? I'm talking real basic shit nothing to autistic. I feel like writing kind of looks like shit on shirts.

depends on the font, placement, and the length of the text

I was thinking of DIYing some semi-famous literary quotes onto a few black tees I have rn, would that be cringy?

we cant know without knowing what itll look like

make a mock up and post it

tfw im guilty of death grips and dr martens

w2c glasses

i appreciate u user

self-knowledge without action seems like masturbation to me kinda

have a day

>implying there is no students over 18 in high school

That literally happens always and forever. Quit being a bitch who's afraid of what others think and instead just wear things you like.

Man, I hate when people judge someone else's dressing style

>implying that 18+ means over 18 and not 18 and up

>crowbcat

top b8 made me 8

About wiki, the joke is not about the resource itself. This hypothetical person reads about nihilism on wiki while proclaiming that he is expert on this topic.