When historical music is discussed, it's almost always art music...

When historical music is discussed, it's almost always art music. But how about we have a thread on historical popular music?

youtube.com/watch?v=0NxvmvHb440

youtube.com/watch?v=5vX8i7zFLDg

youtube.com/watch?v=Fh503H9pNeI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wgCRCPVGrr0
youtu.be/cPtx-5K0DEg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
etymonline.com/index.php?term=popular
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana
youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ-Cflb38Q
youtube.com/watch?v=rcL6s4yyYaU
youtube.com/watch?v=LbP5FXkJxvM
youtube.com/watch?v=TzuDgdgH7CM
youtube.com/watch?v=sJjbKITcyx0
youtube.com/watch?v=UHHWYLLVBow
youtube.com/watch?v=NPDCsi1mbhE
youtube.com/watch?v=g7PeRUEbFM8
youtube.com/watch?v=UWDRP9eSRZA
youtube.com/watch?v=P1yABfhi5Ho
youtube.com/watch?v=zDV_dBYp4h0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You know, you don't always have to have your trip on especially when you're making non-religious threads

I normally do but I get a lot of flack for talking solely about religion, so that's why I kept it on this time.

youtube.com/watch?v=wgCRCPVGrr0

I've been fascinated by minstrelsy for years:
youtu.be/cPtx-5K0DEg

I think that it's more that you post too much, not that you only talk about one thing.

>popular music
>15th century

Can you discuss anything without being anachronistic?

I think yo should just stop tripfagging all together.
I like your views but you really go to stop.

Historical popular music. You go back far enough that's folk and festival songs.

I agree, tripfagging is sin. You will be judged by your social status instead of your comments.

Popular music implies the existence of a music industry, which didn't exist in earnest until the 19th century.

uh?
>Popular music implies the existence of a music industry
I'm pretty sure it literally does nothing of that sort.

No, it implies music that was prevalent among the general public.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music

Popular: etymonline.com/index.php?term=popular

+

Music

very simple, really.

No, "popular music" is a term with musicological meaning, don't ad hoc yourself out of being wrong.

Okay, my semantic friend, what term would you prefer here?

How does that fit with what you posted in the OP? I.e. consort music and church music

Music that was popular? Idk. Most of what you posted is considered art music now.

It suggests casualness.

Because it's old?

Because of the contexts where you would expect performances of it.

So...yes, then?

In fairness your non-religious opinions are complete trash too.

This is a good thread though.

>Carmina Burana, a medieval collection of secular music from a benedictine abbey in Bavaria. Tuneseconstructed from ambiguous notation through comparison with other tunes. Instruments are accurate however the "style" of the performance is largely guesswork.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmina_Burana
youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ-Cflb38Q

Not all music performed in a fine arts setting is old.

Try this rendition, the tempo is a bit anarchronistic, but I'm still fond of it: youtube.com/watch?v=rcL6s4yyYaU

No, I mean the music we're talking about is exclusively performed today as a fine art because it is old, not that all music performed as fine art is old.

youtube.com/watch?v=LbP5FXkJxvM

I'd call that a simplification because it ignores why classical musicians play old music, but yeah, sure.

Yeah but you're kind of shit all around. I mean, the amount of religion shit you and your ilk post 24/7 is really in obnoxious excess of religion's actual role in history. I'm saying you should feel really bad about what you've done and what you are.
You should be so ashamed that you just stop using your trip code. Because there is never a reason for it in these threads. Everyone thinks you are a giant cunt for using one. You're missing the whole point of this place when you do it. No one cares who you are. And Constantine? Really? Come on now, we can do better than that.
I guess I'm just saying you should stop tripfagging, making pointless theology threads, and probably kill yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=TzuDgdgH7CM

A song written by Alfonso X (i believe) of Castille shittalking the nobles who flaked out on him in one of the Muslim wars.

Some of you might recognize this song from Shakespeare

youtube.com/watch?v=sJjbKITcyx0

youtube.com/watch?v=UHHWYLLVBow

youtube.com/watch?v=NPDCsi1mbhE

How come mo one posted a medieval song about wanting to fuck virgin qts?

Very appropriate artwork. Apes were used to represent the carnal tendency divorced from the spiritual.

youtube.com/watch?v=g7PeRUEbFM8

Who here /italodisco/?
youtube.com/watch?v=UWDRP9eSRZA
youtube.com/watch?v=P1yABfhi5Ho
youtube.com/watch?v=zDV_dBYp4h0

I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he means and just want to be a pretentious faggot.