How to house

Crazy how I can probably get better financial advice here than from my parents. Anyways, I'm looking for a place to live now that I'm getting closer to graduating uni and I've got a steady job in my hometown. My dad suggested I go out and buy a "starter house" of sorts, instead of "throwing money away with rent" (Sounds reasonable enough), but he's convinced I'd be looking at $20k-$30k for a starter house, when from pouring over Craigslist means something like pic at best.

Anyone have some tips on general house-hunting for the unenlightened? Would looking for some place that's rent-to-own be a good move? Would looking for an owner-financed home be a good option? Where the hell do I even look for houses asides from Craigslist/driving aimlessly around town? (Because I'm sure if I walk into a realtor's office and say "I'm young, looking for a house, and have no idea what I want or what to expect" I'm going to be taken to the cleaners)

Other urls found in this thread:

zillow.com/homes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where are you located exactly?

This is critical to any housing discussion as different countries are experiencing different real estate markets

assuming you live in Buttfuck, IA I agree with your dad. Go cheap but ask the inspector to really look into the roof and if you can afford it try to negotiate mold testing if the seller is also game. Don't get cucked with a 25k house that needs another 25k of roof repair and mold removal lel

North Louisiana

best would be to get a duplex (or better yet 3-plex or 4-plex), live in one unit while renting the other(s) out.

try to talk your dad into cosigning on such a deal. if your'e successful you'll have sweet passive income the rest of your life.

Where would I look for trying to find some for sale? Doesn't sound like half a bad idea

just talk to a real estate agent.

alternatively, look into a buying a piece of vacant land a building your own

I'm guessing you live in either Monroe or Ruston.

Just buy a duplex near either university and you'll be set, compadre.

Best Monroe actually, going to school in Ruston but I work 7 days a week in West Monroe so my Ruston apartment makes a lot less sense now.

I wouldn't buy a home for a dime less than $50k. And really anything under $100k has it's challenges, mainly the people in areas like this.

Just do your homework, look online at home prices, knock on neighbors doors and ask them about the neighborhood. Look at at least 5 or 6 houses before you pull the trigger.

Put AT LEAST 10% down if not 20% to 30%, and get a good loan.

Also, with the market you are in, you NEED a dog. A big one. Cause getting robbed is gonna be a real possibility.

Good luck.

>live in CA
>this thread
Holy shit I wish I could get a house for less than $400k.

>A dog for self defense and deterrence.
Dude, get a fucking gun.

There are homes available in middle America that are liveable, that cost $10k.

A dog is the best home defense there is mate.

A gun only helps if you are home, and if you are aware of the breakin and ready with gun in hand, and the intruder is unarmed or outmanned.

A dog is better than a security system, theives dont want the hassle of a dog, especially a big one.

My brother-in-law's parents buy and flip houses for $10-20k each.
They were in shock when they visited and found out I live in a small 2 bedroom $200k condo and that it was a really good deal.

A lot of thieves just steal dogs, retard. It's also not that hard to give a dog some food then smash its head with a baseball bat.

You have the right to bear arms. Use it.

>My brother in law's parents
You mean your mother and father in law?

yeah except they're located in shithole towns where you can't find a job that pays more than $10/hour.

I guess? Saying that just made it sound like I was talking about my wife's parents.

Well are they not your wife's parents?

Don't buy a fixer upper.

I did, pain in the ass, sucks up all my time.

The one in the pic needs to be burned down.

Buy things for what they are. Not what they can be.

Is this in Seattle? So ... do you have 100k for 20% down?

don't buy a house unless you see yourself dying in it. if you still insist on buying a house pay the largest down payment possible

no clickbait shit but I use this site which gives some good info and makes it easy to search for homes.

Just make sure that if you would take a mortgage for that 25-30k that it remains under 30% of your total income

Do as you please with this
zillow.com/homes/

His sister's husband's parents?

>"Get a dog"
>"No, get a gun"
Come on guys, I already said I live in Louisiana, of course I'll have both. Don't have my own dog yet, but I've got plenty of guns especially since my favorite hobby is amateur gunsmithing

Sounds like reasonable advice.

Hot damn that site is nice, thanks
>$139K 2B/2BA house nearby with a 2-car garage, fenced in back yard, sunroom and office in what I know is a nice neighborhood
I'm feeling it