What to do with $4000 at 18 years old

So I've got $4000 cash I was going to put towards a new car this summer. Lately I've been second guessing getting the new car (2012 Dodge Charger) and was thinking about investing the cash instead since I'm going to school full time in the fall.

What are the best things to do with the cash? Are ETF's still good?

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/us
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cut your fucking nails you retard

>Implying I didn't take a picture off google images..

Get the car and get mad pussy at uni

>WOW user YOU DRIVE A DODGE MEMER? JUST FUCK ME NOW, PLEASE

That's what I was thinking but getting puss in college is easy since I'm not ugly and lift. I want to find out if there's a better way to use the cash now so I can be rich enough to fuck 18 y/o pussy when I'm old and wrinkly.

Yep I bet girls love your bus pass

>I want to find out if there's a better way to use the cash now so I can be rich enough to fuck 18 y/o pussy when I'm old and wrinkly.
Well i'm 18 too, I have like 1k to my name if that, but i'll tell you straight up that you're not gonna make it with 4k at 18 years old when asking Veeky Forums what to do. As for me, well I code shit, design shit, and own a business selling the things that pop culture promotes on my website, it's like free advertising, its great.

Put it in a Roth IRA.

That $4,000 will be worth nearly $100,000 thanks to compound interest when you retire.

Nice try, Chaim.

This.

Don't fall for his Jewish tricks.

Spend all your money on a deprecating asset, it'll get you pussy in college!

>Spend all your money on a deprecating asset, it'll get you pussy in college!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if sometimes you really gotta pull a "yolo" card..

Nah not being sarcastic. It's a good idea.

Personally I spend my paycheck as soon as I get it and then worry about everything else later. One life, right?

Then why are you on Veeky Forums?

Pizza party for the bruhs and private dances at the club #yolo

What's wrong with it? It's the same thing you want to do

Don't forget to abuse the shit out of every consumer credit offer you can find and blow it on useless shit. The future you will be drowning in debt but that's okay because he's also a worthless cunt.

Way ahead of you buddy.

That is all right mate, I will remember to throw you a back once I see you panhandling in the street.

> new car

if you dont have a car then get a cheap used car.

If you already have a car than invest this 4k on a business. Lawn care, house cleaning, etc...

With the exception of home debt, business debt, and school debt; debt is universally a bad thing and should be avoided. And even in the 3 above examples, the debt should be handled properly with smart buys.

I know this is bait but you guys do realize there's a point where you have to realize that you need to live your life and not squirrel away all your money and be miserable

I'm all for saving, with the 4k get a car cash and drive it until it dies

It's not b8 though. I completely agree.

I spent $3000 on my credit card on a new guitar, a new computer and a couple 4k monitors two months ago and I have no plans of paying it back

Hey man whatever works for you

For curiosity's sake what guitar'd you get?

Get in the mobile app industry.

Epiphone Les Paul

well worth it, I'll worry about having a horrible credit score and the collection agencies when we cross that bridge desu

Please tell me you got a good one and not the shitty ass $200 ones

I got the standard dope one in ebony m8

Damn thot yall niggers would actually be able to talk me out of buying a new car..

>you need to live your life
>with the 4k get a car and crash it until you die

Consider the following question:
A man has a machine with a button on it. If you press the button, there is a one in five million chance that you will die immediately; otherwise, nothing happens. He offers you some money to press the button once. What do you do? Do you refuse to press it for any amount? If not, how much money would convince you to press the button?
If you answered something like "Never for any amount of money," or "Only for a million dollars", you're not thinking clearly.

One in five million is pretty much your chance of dying from a car accident every five minutes that you're driving. Choosing to drive for five minutes is exactly equivalent to choosing to press the man's button. If you said you wouldn't press the button for fifty thousand dollars, then in theory if someone living five minutes away offers to give you fifty thousand dollars no strings attached, you should refuse the offer because you're too afraid to drive to zir house.

Likewise, if you drive five minutes to a store to buy a product, instead of ordering the same product on the Internet for the same price plus $5 shipping and handling, then you should be willing to press the man's button for $5.

get a cheaper car. A 2012 charger, probably the basic model too, isn't going to do a thing for you a car half the price will.

That has literally nothing to do with my post

Not to mention you're not taking into account that I don't drive like a drunken dumbass. A bigger car will also increase your odds of not dying in a crash.

Flat statistics like that are retarded and inacurate

It's an former highway patrol car (cop suspension, brakes, tires, cooling) and pretty good deal ($6500). As far as features, I frequent Veeky Forums a lot and I'm really attracted to the power. I have no problem walking away from the deal, I just want to know what kind of financial gains I can make with the $4k cash and in what time span.

Not to mention I said until the car dies not OP

With 4k you can make a guaranteed 1% A YEAR. So $40 a year. Investing with 4k is a bad idea, not enough to diversify properly or really make much money. Also you run the risk of it losing value and at only 4k, you could lose it all quickly. EFTs are a honeypot for people like you and bonds/CDs are not bringing in any real returns. 4k is not enough to do shit with. Continue saving or spend it, because right now your not going to make any money from it, past 1% realistically. Also how many miles are on the car? Those ex patrol cars are usually about at the end of their financially viable service life.
>tldr
Not in 10 years could you make any real money with just 4 grand and the risks are high if you see an opportunity. Save or spend.

>With 4k you can make a guaranteed 1% A YEAR. So $40 a year.

>1% a year

Are you a retard?

I love that image. I did the same thing after my first weekend bartending. Check out my $1000 in Canadian 20s everyone, its like, $670 American!

Well, I admit, if it was compounded daily you would make $40.20 a year at 1%. Show me a “guaranteed” higher rate that doesn’t lock his money up for years or run the risk of devaluing further.

Even Government bonds give you more

1% is useless, it's a lower return than inflation.

bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/us
Which ones?

Spend it on a down payment for a nice NEW car. Don't buy a used one. You won't pick up any chicks in college with a shitty clunker.

Life's short, might as well live it out. A dollar today is worth 10 dollars in 30 years.

Going by that logic, should you take every loan offered that beats inflation?

Well yes

das it mang

No jew is dumb enough to give a loan that beats inflation.

>put his only capital in an IRA when he has no source of income.

This post is based off of OP's original post. If OP failed to include info that contrasts with this post it is his fault.

Hey OP,

Firstly, a 2012 Dodge Charger has an average MSRP of approx. $27,000. You have $4,000. If you decided to purchase the automobile you would be in $23,000 of debt at age 18.

Secondly, you have no source of income. Investing your "cash" in any form of venture is going to be very risky.

Finally, there is no list of "the best things to do with the cash", it is subjective. Also, The fact that you referred to your money as "the" instead of "my" upsets me.

Opinion
>Are ETF's still good
In your case, I would research low risk money market mutual funds; Vanguard is worth looking at.

Your future self is going to hate you so much. Unless you just declare bankruptcy and say fuck it for a few years.

For some reason I really like that "the" money upsets you. You seem prideful.

>drive to zir house.
Triggered

If pride allows people to be more conscious and strategic with their assets*, it is a good thing.

*I shouldn't have to explain this but this belief is greater than economy.

I agree. I'll never use the word "the" for MY money again thanks to your post. You influenced someone today, user.

I can't think of any real upsides to driving a former police car as your personal vehicle. Consider that the interior has repeatedly covered been covered in puke, blood, and pepper-spray-snot cocktail and that people might not necessarily be as impressed by it as some might think. You run the risk of coming across as a whacker/wannabe. If it's a good vehicle on its own merits though then go for it.

buy a car, 4k isn't much to invest with, with a car you can get a job. Job=more cash, more cash=more capital to invest with, more capital= more money, more money=better life. Good luck user!

kek'd heartily

Young people don't realize how money can grow over the years.

I'd put it in an investment fund for a deposit on a house when you're ready. A car is just stupid, get a beater.

400 shares of CARA
800 shares of GPL
600 shares of XXII

You're welcome

>zir

...you fucking bastard.

>it's a meme dodger, it dodges memes :^)

at how much is it a good idea for you? just asking out of curiosity

>A car is just stupid, get a beater.

I think the thing is that you should either drive a shitty beater/public transit like a poorfag or you should go all out and get yourself a nice car. No inbetween desu.

Anything else just looks retarded, looks like you're trying to look cool but you also have a budget and need to pay your bills.

Buy ethereum

4k for a charger? What kind of charger?

>buying a chrysler product

first mistake. But it's a powerful rwd fun car so I'll be lenient. If it isn't the RT then fuck off. also good luck with the interest you'll be paying. 6% is normal on a used.

You're probably looking at a cuck-tier base model.

Kek

Just get SPY and call itg4ood.