Back from 3wk japan trip ama

hehe

Any time you witnessed something different from your usual lifestyle did you exclaim, in a loud voice, "CRA-JII JAP-PAN!"?

did Nipon girls want your big gaijin cock?

planning a similar trip

can u give me details on where u stayed / what u did / places to check out?

Been living in Japan, near Tokyo, for four and a half years. Any questions?

nothing I didn't expect honestly and I'm not a mega weeb

i'm asian so I fit in

tokyo for about 4 days first, osaka for 6, went to numazu for 2 (bumfuck town honestly, shoulda just went back to tokyo), then tokyo again for 6 until I left

stayed at airbnbs, most places are small af but I got a nice big ass place in osaka next to dotonbori/shinsaibashi/namba.
I know I said I wasn't a mega weeb but I did go to anime japan 2017 for shits as well as historic places like himeji tokyo kyoto castle, fushimi inari taisha, sensouji, and parks especially since I went during sakura season, which is nice.

honestly the biggest thing fashion related thing is that everyone looks the fucking same and its fucking awkward to walk into high fashion stores cuz these niggas just wearing dressy suits and shit. I guess it makes sense if you're an affluent salaryman or something but it's honestly real boring, but on the flipside, youth fashion is a fast fashion mess too, theres not a lot of individuality to anything/anyone, you won't fit in too much if you don't conform to the thematic.

whats your job bro

shoulda gone to harajuku senpai

so it's true what they say - japanese teens are boring fashion wise?

i did, too many tourists and young girls although omotesando is chill af its still that same awk high fashion vibe

something like that, they all have their themes but I feel they don't stray from it.
the whole nation seems to be like that though tbqh, salary people wear the same shit all day, everyone woman wears a camel coat, every youth has a jean jacket or leather jacket and skinnies, people just end up looking the same and thats not me being racist

? don't most youths in the US have a jean jacket/leather jacket? its just that more people wear hoodies/t-shirts/gym shorts outside here.

yes pretty much. youth fashion culture is about the same everywhere. jean jackets, leather jackets sukajans

the most offputting is when you see it on them and then every store has the same shit in a 8 block radius

Did u coped something cool fashion related.? If so, post em.

nah sorry bud didn't buy anything
im still a bit chubby and my wardrobe is pretty much complete right now

should've checked out shibuya

i did, girls fashion was nice

>goes to japan
>doesnt speak japanese
バカで外人でキモイww

できるけど上手じゃねぇ

日本語を話す事ができるけど最近勉強しなくてしまいません*

alternatively you could have said:
できるけど、下手だ
know your place weeaboo fucking shits *self-pats dick gently*

or even 勉強できなくてしまいません if you are feeling spicy and want to lie

i mean it all means the same shit

"stupid disgusting foreigner"
"able [to speak japanese] but not good"
"[I] have the ability to speak japanese, however recently, I, unfortunately, have not studied"
"able [to speak japanese] but bad"
"[I have the ability to speak japanese, however, recently,] I, unfortunately have not been ABLE to study.

there is a difference between saying you ate a tasty apple and a not-disgusting apple.

>it all means the same shit
t. brainlet

How much costs to study there, (living, food, transport, etc.)? I want to go one semester but I'm mid-class Mexican

do the nuances matter that much. the point still gets across and the proceeding conversation will likely follow the same path

round trip ticket is ~800-3kUSD depending on time of the year. fly japanair
housing would be 1k-2k/mo depending on where you are and how hard you want to slum it.
food is probably around $10/day if you buy bulk for the month, closer to $30/day if you like to eat out and want to try different foods
transport in major city is cheaper, ~$5-10/day depending on what you do and how often you need a cab. can buy a j-pass for bulk bus-riding

they do matter, depending on how you want to come off. if you want to sound like a dipshit or ultra-casual you can use できるけど上手じゃない and be rude, if you want to be polite you use one of the longer ones.

same thing as if you replied "tummy hurts" compared to "I have a little discomfort in my stomach, must have been something I ate earlier." To the listener, they will act mostly the same, but their impression of you will be different.

why am i explaining how fucking communication works to somebody, read a book you nigger

most of the conversations I had in Japan were entirely casual anyways

if I had any reason to be more formal or polite, believe me I would take the time to do it

>claims they all mean the same shit
>asks if the nuances matter
>"dont worry i could totally do it and would use it properly in the context that calls for it"
brainlets were a mistake. i dont care if it was different posters who made the different claims, you are all one and the same

also protip: the conversations you had were informal because you werent speaking formally. having somebody use て-form in day-to-day conversation with strangers was exceedingly rare. extrapolation: you looked like a retarded brainlet and they adjusted how they spoke to accommodate

Thanks mane

i particularly meant casual like masu, masen, desu not mega casual as you and i seem to imply
also, i wouldn't expect them to not adjust considering I'm not a native speaker to begin with

no problem, for a 4 month semester stint, you would reasonably be looking at $10k+ unless you are able to work something out with other people. Housing will be the biggest killer since you will be living somewhere urban to go to school, which means either you live in an apartment and split rent, or you live in some other accommodation and pay normal rent of $1500/mo. if you are a mid-class mexican you realistically would be unable to do it without assistance from a transfer program or a study-abroad type deal. You wouldn't get much benefit from a single semester, as all the classes would be in fucking japanese, would cost an exorbitant amount, and you wouldnt do anything cool that couldn't be accomplished on a shorter trip during regular school time in early/late summer before breaks begin in Japan

>original was in て-form
>believes ます form is casual
jesus christ dude read a fucking book

:( that's a bummer, I'm aware that I need assistance, but the classes in Japanese and the no free time to go trip are a really turn off