Why does Veeky Forums hate VETEMENTS so much?

Why does Veeky Forums hate VETEMENTS so much?

´´>It`s overhyped/overpriced´´
doesn`t count

It is overhyped and overpriced though

Why wouldn't that count?

gimmicky edgy shitwear for kids who wait outside of a finish line for 12 hours for a yeezy drop

>Why does Veeky Forums hate x so much?
>The main reason why people hate it doesn't count!!!!!

>i hate this brand because of the people that wear it
pathetic

>tacky edgy designs
>basically vintage Margiela rip-off
>whole brand intended as a joke about high fashion yet people wear it proudly

The people that wear your brand make your brand. It's the same reason I wouldn't wear a tracksuit to town. 90% of the people at the jobcentre do as well. That's why you need to determine a very specific demographic before you decide to market your product. In this case, the designer tapped into a sheep-like and fanatical one. He's a genius. The buyers, however, are not.

>It's overpriced doesn't count

why wouldn't that count? you can't just wave an autism wand, you have to actually explain why that wouldn't count

Either the actual design is a tire fire and fits like hot garbage
Or they are just straight out copying someone else's design as """"satire""""
Plus now that hypebeasts flaunt owning it which entirely removes the satirical aspect to it.

fashion isnt about formalities or social norms, i don't see how your point is relevant at all. a brand should be judged in of itself, like ya know, its actual design
not sure why you're trying to argue on specifics, clearly you haven't watched any of vetements' shows. the hype and sheep come from it being seen on certain celebrities and its relevance in high fashion atm, and it then trickling down to the mainstream in the form of its most accessible and recognisable pieces

>fashion isnt about formalities or social norms
it very much is though
you don't see people walking around naked when it's +30 celsius outside because of social norms
and fashion is very unique as art form in that it's constant dialogue between the creator and the consumers, there is the initial reaction and reception of show and later on there is the actual sales themselves, which of course reflect on the designer
if there was no interaction and that dialogue between the consumers and the brand, or the 'brand would be judged in on itself' there would be no iconic pieces because it's the collective of consumers, media and fans that create the love for the product
and fashion being seasonal, the designers can react to that and take part to the dialogue the way they want
the 'brand being judged on itself' I feel is especially misguided in the case of Vetements, because some of the original shows were like Margiela 101 reimagined and it is THE brand to actually engage in that dialogue with media and it's fans right now and where lot if it's ideas are very deeply rooted in to

i didn't say there's no interaction between consumers and the brand, i'm saying don't hate something because its associated with hype culture
there are certain pieces that people love because they love the cut or the textures or just the way it holistically looks AKA the design. not sure how this is different to what i'm saying lmao

>i'm saying don't hate something because its associated with hype culture
But that's kinda my point, 'fanbases' and the sorta 'tribalism' are so deeply integrated in fashion that you can't really speak about it without taking it to account. How you dress is as much about communicating with other people as it is about expressing yourself, so naturally big part of that is other people expressing themselves in similar way. In very simple terms, it's easy to talk to someone who has similar taste in music with you about that music, you feel connection, you have common ground so you naturally have at least that in common, it's no different with clothes. You communicate just as much belonging to something as you do not belonging to something else with how you dress, it's always a conscious choice.
Not liking something because it's part of a culture you don't like or take part of is as valid reason as any.

i agree. although a lot of people on Veeky Forums won't admit it, you have to take into account how others will view your outfit. i like techwear but if i went out in it where i live people would be fucking terrified

i completely agree that fashion, like all art, is never without context, but i think you're missing my point a bit. following your analogy with music, i think its great that you can feel part of something for having a certain taste, but pitting it the other way around i don't think music should be necessarily judged from the characteristics of groups of people that listen to it

It just means "clothes" in French so it always sounds fucking retarded to me when people talk about it

because its taking the piss out of their super serious hobby

Everybody is asking why the overhyped and overpriced argument doesn't count. It´s just because I don`t care about how many people wear or want to wear what I wear and I don`t care about the price, I care about its look and its aesthetic. If I would have asked without these exceptions this thread would be the same argument 200 times in a row. I want to know why you hate the Vetements aesthetic, not it`s demand.

But clothes and fashion is something that is very fundamentally about communicating with other people as well, you can't really take that aspect away from clothing, I mean it's not really argument towards this but noticing that other people and tribes wear different kind of clothing must have been one of the first things the people who invented clothes noticed when they encountered other people. And it's not necessarily judging the brand itself because of the people who dress in it but as far as appreciating and wearing the brand, it's a big part of what makes it appealing, or doesn't in this case.
I feel it's very natural to fashion just because of it's nature in that way, no matter what you are sending some kind of message to the people around you, you can't really decide to not do it because at the end of the day you have to dress in something and that again will communicate something about you, perhaps that you don't want to communicate but the message is still there.

it's total fucking garbage

is that slenderman

I like Vetements. I like its metaness and they make some cool silhouettes