WATCH/Horology Thread

Seen a few general watch threads pop up with some totally heinous posts. Ugly, shitty faced watches with cheap movements to match. This is the thread for good quality or beautiful watches that don't necessarily cost a luxury sum.
Just share your beautiful finds.

Pic is what I just ordered.

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/talking-watches-with-john-goldberger
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachymeter_(watch)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does anybody know of any reasonably priced watched with a bi or uni directional GMT bezel? The obvious example is the rolex types, and I've seen cheaper GMT hands but with no directional bezel which is what I'm after.

My good ol reliable

Vostok GMT special edition, 140€ shipped from Russia. I am waiting for mine.

I'm swapping the bezel to look like pic related though

How is the quality of russian movements?

Really good, extremely tough and reliable.

How would they compare to a Seiko?

$450AUD

Does the sun do anything to g-shocks?

Steinhart or parnis

I've been close to pulling the trigger on this for a while now. What do you think boys, cop or not?

ye ithe sun makes them reflect its light to your eyes so you can see the g-shocks
what kind of fucking question is that

it powers some of them

nothing, it's plastic casing is folded over a thousand times and doesn't melt even if you throw it into the sun

W2C

Citizen Eco-Drive

thats pretty ugly breh

yuck

Nice jealousy, go cry over your $15 Casio, poorfag.

im op and your watch is still ugly as fuck, a 100 buck gold casio would be way better than that shitty movement trash.

not the other guy and the OP is right, fuck off, your watch sucks

>calls other person poor

>wears citizen

I like the look of this

I was going to preface the thread with
>no invicta
>no fossil
>no citizen

but i mean swatch and citizen both have some cool niche shit but this ricko dicko isn't wearing anything good.

bracelet is nice but minimalism is a trend although assuming those white lines on the hands are looms that could work, just pretty boring over all

your local mall

You better cop it before they change their name after being acquired by Nokia

So I have the money to purchase something like a Rolex Sea-Dweller, oyster perpetual, or a Omega Speedmaster Professional. However, I don't really feel like I am worthy enough to purchase one, mainly because I really haven't had any milestone in my life where I said to myself that I have left my footprint. Also because I don't make much yearly to fit into the bracket range of pruchasing these watches, as of yet.

With that being said, the only watch I currently own is a digital gold casio meme watch. So I sort of want to grow up and get something worthwhile.

Instead of buying a pricy watch for my first true one, I was wanting a dependable watch that's under $500 USD, would look good dressed up with a black leather strap, but would still look good dressed down with a nato or untanned leather strap for whenever I go hiking/camping.

I was thinking something like a Seiko SURB, but I wanted Veeky Forums's opinion first.

(OP)
So I have the money to purchase something like a Rolex Sea-Dweller, oyster perpetual, or a Omega Speedmaster Professional. However, I don't really feel like I am worthy enough to purchase one, mainly because I really haven't had any milestone in my life where I said to myself that I have left my footprint. Also because I don't make much yearly to fit into the bracket range of pruchasing these watches, as of yet.

With that being said, the only watch I currently own is a digital gold casio meme watch. So I sort of want to grow up and get something worthwhile.

Instead of buying a pricy watch for my first true one, I was wanting a dependable watch that's under $500 USD, would look good dressed up with a black leather strap, but would still look good dressed down with a nato or untanned leather strap for whenever I go hiking/camping.

I was thinking something like a Seiko SARB, but I wanted Veeky Forums's opinion first. Just nothing fat and clunky, because a 42mm would be my absolute ceiling in regards to case diameter and I don't like a thick case either.

cocktail time

>under $500 USD, would look good dressed up with a black leather strap, but would still look good dressed down with a nato or untanned leather strap for whenever I go hiking/camping.

A SARB, but nato looks out of place on it. You also shouldn't go hiking or camping with it. I would just wear a DW5600 then.

What would you change to make it not boring?

everything

its boring, so working with what we have the bracelet is ok, brand helps to identify quality so any text could be shiny black, hands should be stirling silver and cut in a trapezium shape but subtley, like the hands are, hands should be smaller between the 12,3,6,9. face should be a sunburst black dial so it reacts differently under angles of light, second hand should be way thinner, cant comment on the crystal but hate the lug to bracelet connection. makes the whole thing look cheap.

>hands should be stirling silver
there's a reason why sterling hasn't been used in watch production for like, 80 years.

sorry friend meant brushed

which one and why?

wow thats nasty. why did you waste your money on that thing???

neither. theyre both gross R O L E X watches. youre paying for the name and not the quality. get an breitling or omega

FUCK rolex

jelly samefag yuropoor detected

nope but nice try. rolex is just a decent watch at double the price because of the name. have fun looking like a dumb nig nog with your iced rolly

>says yuropoor
>fails to realize all good watch brands are literally all from europe.
Have fun stuffing your burgerkin face amerifat.

Damn man, just wanted an opinion on which color combo was the best. Yeah I'll look at that iced rolly, and the tristar on the hood, then remember the user wearing a casio and tipping his fedora on a basket weaving board

>not the quality

>get an omega instead

lmao. you sound like a bitter poorfag. Rolexes are high quality luxury watches you can get besides going full autistic and getting some kind of Patek.

rolexes are super bad value but still in the tier above omega and breitling. Why not A.lange? plus rolex is practically a shit meme now with their new watches.

>dissing casios
Watch your fucking mouth

It was only $400, that's ashtray change for me.

i mean still honestly why? is it a beater or something? you could take 400$ as a supository and it isnt really an explanation to say you have lots of money.

disgusting

ehhhhh. do you specificlly have stuff that will match it? why not get that orange seiko diver thing. it looks alot better IRL. but then again i only wear watches with dark blue and black dials.

Are you a woman? A (gentle-) man should not wear something as gaudy and ridiculously trashy looking as either of those. Diamonds in general are worthless and they look especially out of place on such a watch. Pearl dial just looks cheap these days.

Rolex as a brand is generally ok, I'm considering one myself. Yes they are expensive, much more than they should be, but they also do retain their value much better than anything else.

Get the new datejust in steel and white gold with blue face and batons, or if you really want to show off, a skydweller.

Noiceee

Got this coming in the mail

nice darth tuna. you dive at all?
what do you think of the ploprof?

ugly af but maybe I'm being short sighted. what sort of fit do you pair this with?
perhaps some loose palace t and blue jeans?

thats one sexy watch. i cant decide to get that tuna or the blumo.
perfect watch for james cameron. other than him idk why someone would want that ugly monster. the regular seamaster is much better.

This isnt the darth but I did own that one at one time. I dont dive unless its into a muff. But im sure if I did that watch would get tbe job done. I think its an awesome looking watch btwGet the tuna man unless you prefer a smaller watch then get the Sumo. Both awesome watches but my love lies with the tuna

Damn that's sexy

yeah i was asking about gmt watches not rolex's bud

Its more of a collectors piece than a fashiom accessory. Ill probably wear it with a grey/sky blue seweater and black pants

Posting my Soviet Bauhaus style Pobeda from the 60s

This thread is bad and you should feel bad

You're not helping, user

fuck outta here with that dork shit

>>>/reddit/

his eyebrows say FA

does anyone know where LORUS stacks up among watch brands? bought a pretty gold and silver one a couple years ago and started wearing it again recently.

Does anyone have experience with buying watches from rakuten? I'm going to buy my first watch, figured I'd buy a used one for better value, are the prices listed on rakuten realistic or would I get scammed?

just get a speedy pro. stowa flieger on the left.

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

do you buy everything the internet tells you to? let me guess, getting a sub next?

>"thread is bad"
>fell for the vintage lange rip off Noblows watch.
Nice job moron.

damn. that stowa is so sexy. how are those blued hands?

You have a smaller chance of getting scammed on ebay I'd bet. Ebay and Paypal don't fuck around.

SHITTER

Neither, I'm pretty sure these kind of shitty pieces have non-factory diamonds/aftermarket dials

I picked up this Seiko spontaneously in my local jewelers yesterday, quiet happy with it.

Hey, I'm new to buying watches. Never really had any, nor have I needed one. However, I'd love to get a relatively cheap (max 250 yuro) watch with a vintage look. Something like pic related.
Any recommendations?

>) watch with a vintage look.
just make sure it has a modern quartz movement

Been browsing for a while now and came across a watch from a brand called Certina. Any good?

dont listen to this person

ID on this Casio?

Current starting piece: 2008 Speedmaster Broad Arrow w/ GMT. Bit worried about the 3603 movement, although very accurate, it is delicate, worried about reliability.

Wish List:
IWC Big Pilot 5002 - 5004 (ideally in titanium)
Rolex Explorer II
Vintage (1940s Vacheron with JLC movement)
Zenith El Primero Chrono

Yea fucking right... wish list:
Rolex MilSub
6263 Rolex Daytona in black
Patek Phillipe 5970 or 3970 Chrono

Never going to happen... wish list:
1940s Rolex Chrono Split Second (in the video below)

hodinkee.com/articles/talking-watches-with-john-goldberger

Forgot to add, everyone needs a classic Breguet dress watch :) The new Classique 7147 will do.

>what is the tachymetre base for.
>what are those small circles for.
neat watch user.

If I knew a distance I was travelling, the tachymetre system could be used with the chrono function to calculate speed. Not terribly practical in the days of modern instruments, but cool nonetheless. Think of mechanical watches (chronometers) as the iPhones of their day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachymeter_(watch)

Panda saturday.

I like the face w/ panda dial, but the sloped bezel looks large to me. Maybe it's the angle.

Also, Chimay is a great beer.

ty user

Berry nice.
Hope you change the band to something nicer though; the freebie is not fitting for that watch.

It's a lesser Seiko subsidiary.
Don't see them around much anymore. In fact, I don't know which regional markets they're still advertised in. They had some nice designs once. I think I wanted one well over a decade ago. They've all but disappeared where I live.

How it stacks up against other brands? In what way?
Generally, non-existent.
Quality should be fine enough as it's seiko owned.

ryck tv/communities/Speedrunning

>get a bretishit or swatch instead
such a nice piece of advice wow you really know a lot about watches

>1940s Rolex Chrono Split Second

The somewhat unobtainable dream watch needed a few photos.

Some Rolexes, esepecially with diamonds are not aesthetically pleasing at all. Not a fan of two tone or datejust. However, Rolex does make some very durable watches, and some of their vintage pieces are beyond reproach, such as the one above.

Spotty

Dramatically inferior