What's the thing with models and smoking?

Why do so many photoshoots portray them smoking? Is there something inherently fashion about smoking? Is there some phallic/sexual explanation for this obssesion with cigarettes or are we as I suspect biased by years and years of mass propaganda?

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism#Medications
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Despite what your parents, teachers, and church leaders tell you, smoking does look cool/sexy and is very fashionable.

I'm not disputing this (the looks I mean),
What I'm talking about is:
Is our perception of this as sexy "natural" ?

This is now a cigarette inspo thread

The contrast of the model's beauty with the harshness of the cig is what makes it's appealing to look at

There's something like I'm pretty and young and I don't give a shit.

the way the smoke rises when idle is aesthetic. The resting cigarette makes the lips look fuller, often the model can sort of pucker(fuller lips, slender face, better cheekbone definition) and get away w it because of the cig. probably a bit of phallic symbolism but a well placed pen...

Gonna post some of mine

fuck captcha and post time

its a joint but same same

rebel rebel

I know right
that's the only reason I tried out smoking
but it didn't work out, I hate it

But you gonna smell like shit

Is this some kind of anti-tabagist folder

honestly you are fucking retarded desu, nobody told me but its just disgusting, also imagine that you could just buy a pair of yohji's if you take all the money you spend for smoking in 1 or 2 years fucking faggot go and kys.

Srsly its disgusting and why even use parfume when you can stink like a redneck?

Try chewing gum or hobbies when you are bored you useless cunt.

I think it's just another crop. Crops always help a shoot, makes it look more natural and less posed. A smoke is especially good because it's so versatile. Cars, bikes, drinks, bags, dogs, other people whatnot work well too, but nothing compares to the cigarette. It's such effortless. Such signal that you're enjoying yourself, chilling out - while actually you're doing the exact opposite when you're posing.

yes that's one reason why I hate it
the smell and it just doesn't feel good, it almost hurts

dunno how people actually get into smoking nowadays
it's not like you can addicted after trying out one or two cigarettes (at least it wasn't for me)

This is actually a reasonable answear, thanks.

Firstly, they get paid by the cigs industry. Secondly, teenagers think it's cool and rebellious plus for older smokers it has the connotation of romantic self-destruction which can both be perfectly encapsulated in a professional photoshoot with a squinty eyed model like in your pic.

definitely not the same

>Firstly, they get paid by the cigs industry.
Prove it

Its a metaphore, you see

use your imagination

You'd have to be a really naive fucktard not to know that cigarettes are heavily promoted with product placement anywhere they get a chance.

Smoking steadily grew in popularity through the 1920s, 30s, and 40s because Hollywood producers were heavily bribed to put cigs in their stars' mouths.

>dunno how people actually get into smoking nowadays
You ever been drunk or tipsy at a party and someone offers you a cigarette and you say yes and it's amazing because you're drunk then later you buy a pack and it's meh so you decide to only smoke when you drink socially then before you realize it you're smoking regularly without the influence of alcohol and it's great.

didn't want to make another thread for this but can drugs be effay? I'm talking about weed, mdma, nos and cocaine.

>inb4 heroin aint effay unless its controlled and smoked in a pipe

>bribe
it wasn't neither illegal nor dishonest, it was just plain old marketing
calling it a bribe would be akin to calling billboards or super bowl ads bribes as well

MDMA is pretty fun and is good for the jawline. Cocaine is pretty useful to have, in case you're drunk and need to sober out. Weed is pretty boring imho, I prefer to get a bit drunk.

Only dishonest in that a work of art was deliberately altered from the creator's original vision for an entirely irrelevant agenda.

>it's a joint but same

anyone who willingly smokes cigarettes this day and age is fucking pathetic. All I see is a desperate poser using anything to forge an identify for themselves. Don't even get me started on the people who think smoking makes them look cool lmao

>can drugs be effay?

>MDMA is pretty fun and is good for the jawline.
Wtf?

but i enjoy it, and theres no evidence it harms ppl around me

I used to do this shit all the time when I had stretched ears.

It's easy to see how a women with a stick in her mouth or hanging off her lips could be considered attractive
For men, it's an excuse to stand still and look stoic
that's not even factoring in the social connotations of the cigarettes themselves

>that's not even factoring in the social connotations of the cigarettes themselves
What social connotations?

>theres no evidence it harms ppl around me
what the fuck?

Everyone say hi to my waifu!

WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAH

Go fuck yourself russian pig

That's what I tried for almost two years, smoking when drunk does feel awesome, but I always felt disgusted the next day. Like I can't even handle other smoking around me, the smell is just so revolting. I stopped pushing myself and now I'm completely abstinent from it, I honestly can't imagine how I put up with this smell back then.

Dude.
Stop.

Except it has lead to one of the biggest health crises killing hundreds of millions each year through lung cancer, heart disease, and basically every fucking possible viciously disgusting insidious problems with your health.

Pull your head out your 17 year old ass and stop being a walking advertisement for the corporations that run your shitty little life.

You're fucking retarded, I bet you're a pro-choice too

>*kills baby*
>my body my choice :^)

>*smokes cigarette*
>DURRRRR U CANT DO THAT HOW SICKENING

really makes you think

I don't think there's anything phallic or sexual about smoking. Men can look just as cool doing it. I know there are people with smoking fetishes out there but it's rarely in the context of watching someone chain smoke and being turned on by just that alone.

It's the same reason why chew sticks or toothpicks can look. It gives off the impression that you're doing something other than just standing there. It's also the reason why my best friend ended up with a smoking habit, hanging out with art kids that wouldn't let you sit in their circle at the park unless you were smoking, which evolved into standing outside of clubs and smoking. Everyone likes to be doing something with their hands, it's why most people fiddle with their cellphones even thought there's nothing interesting going on, but that doesn't make you look as cool or engaging. Beer bottles give off the same effect but don't create the elegant silhouette that holing a cigarette does.

I'd be cool with ciggs if they didn't smell like shit and was a health hazard for everyone standing within a few feet of the smoker.

Smoking never caught on for me because the only smokers I knew were
crack heads, both of my grandmothers and some overweight aunts. Not a very Veeky Forums crowd.

>3d waifu

lol

>killing hundreds of millions each year

didn't really think this one through, did ya?

>I browse Veeky Forums

Oh shit wait

Both our arguments are invalid, let's rot together friends

Oh sorry ahahaha I meant hundreds of thousands whoops, is that below your threshold now? I'm glad we sorted this out. The problem had gone away!!! :)

(cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/)

>hates on smoking
>thinks chewing gum is a good idea
Kill yourself

smoke or dont but dont be a poser about it
realness is key

>parfume
ok & also nobody gives a fuck about a pair of yohjis thats like saying if you took all the money you spend on basics for 2 yr you can buy a pair of yohjis fuck you dumbass yohjis arent worth that bullshit, no fashion is, get a life

its fucking awful

>Nature vs Nurture debate
>>Veeky Forums that way
now, seriously it's a combination of both

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism#Medications

lmao. are you even entertaining the idea that tobacco and alcohol do not use millions of dollars a year on advertising their addictive cancer causing products?

smoking is for total faggots.

I quit smoking but sometimes I miss it just because it made me look cooler. And I already look cool so imagine.
And I miss it even more when I eat big diners...

But the smell, cancer, lack of cardio isn't worth it.

smoking might look cool but not the bullshit you cough up after smoking for some time. although that might be because i smoked newports

Do you guys remember in the 90s walking past a person smoking and it smelt really fucking nice, that lovely tabacco smell and then as you grew up they changed the composition of them so theory gradually smelt more and more vile so that today they smell like burning plastic. I dread to think how they taste. Any oldfags around to compare flavors? Wtf do they put in them to make it smell so bad?

because hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on advertising by tobacco companies

Bruce Springsteen, the coolest man to have ever existed, has never smoked in his life.
Smoking isn't cool. Don't fool for the meme.

this desu
people who smoke are fucking weak, it's so much cooler to not smoke nowadays anyway.

>but i enjoy it, and theres no evidence it harms ppl around me

it's unattractive and disgusting

>still thinking smoking is fashionable in the 21st century

>good for the jawline
>thinks wandering around making contorted faces like a faggot is a good jawline

cocaine and smokes are effay
alcohol but only if its hard liquor
mdma if its sunny out or youre mixing it with the last three
weed only at the end of a long night of drinking if its in a blunt with some opioids to chase like T4s or Hydrocodone

anything else and youre a waste of clothes

Looks okay in pictures

IRL its just autistic most of the time

Smokers are mostly just wrinkly tramps and soccer moms

Truly Veeky Forums are very health and skin conscious

Maybe the occasional cigarette is okay, but only very rarely and on good occasions

Otherwise its just for very self conscious and scared people.

Are you so autistic you think taking drugs can ever be "Fashionable"

drugs are fashionable. no one whos worth anything in the fashion game is straight edge.

"the fashion game"
You're not a model nor are you known worldwide for how well you dress. Please user, stop taking drugs, we care about you.

>fat bitch with edgy tattoos

Why'd you save this?

If you're already cool/sexy, then it does, if you look like an ugly retard, it just makes you look worse

Kek, glad to see this being used

Is Gin effay? It's all I drink, either with tonic or as a Martini

NO! EVERYBODY IS LAUGHING AT YOU BEHIND YOUR BACK BECAUSE YOU DRINK GIN LIKE A CLUELESS LOSER! YOU DO NOT HAVE MY APPROVAL, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT HAVE MY APPROVAL.

Anything thats 80 proof or higher. Or wine if you can pull it off

go back to /pol/

people were smoking since the discovery of fire by mankind

late reply, but the fact it's known to be a death sentance means it's edgy to smoke, and a lot of people still think it's cool

im pretty sure he was making a joke about how someone asked an internet stranger's approval on their choice of alcohol as if anyone actually noticed or cared in reality

This smell is called nostalgia. I saw somewhere smell is the strongest memory related sense.

Self destructive traits are, somewhat ironically, generally very attractive.

You don't maybe mean prop, rather than crop?

SMOKE

test